Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:35:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: EFL season over  (Read 57580 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: EFL season over
« Reply #330 on May 23, 2020, 09:39:08 am by IDM »
I didn’t think any decisions had been made yet by the EFL - that’s one of the problems isn’t it.?

Making a decision is one thing, doesn’t mean it’s the right decision.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #331 on May 23, 2020, 09:41:00 am by drfchound »
That touches on the point I have been making all along though.It is only the wrong decision if you don’t agree with it.
To others, whatever decision is made, will be the right one.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #332 on May 23, 2020, 09:41:38 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I agree IDM. As you and I agreed, there must be a financial mechanism by which every club can be assisted to complete the season without going cap in hand to the government. If a season restart based on that and/or it's deemed to be too risky from a health perspective, then it should be null and void.

Both the Rotherham chairman and the DFP said of Rovers it would cost the clubs around £400,000 to complete the fixtures including the current protocols of testing etc. 

You then have to ask yourself, what is the point of completing the season? So a dozen clubs can gain honours while the other 80 either stay where they are or suffer relegation?

The more I think about this, the more inclined to think the best solution is null and void the season and restart the game when fans can start attending games.

It needs someone with bottle and common sense within the game to stand up and come forward.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #333 on May 23, 2020, 09:43:52 am by IDM »
That touches on the point I have been making all along though.It is only the wrong decision if you don’t agree with it.

Because there has been no football I haven’t been looking at the DFP site much.

I formed my opinion independently ie without knowing what DM thought.

It seems our manager agrees with me.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #334 on May 23, 2020, 09:47:38 am by drfchound »

FWIIW, I am past caring really whether the the football resumes or not.
It doesn’t matter whether you or I agree with ppg, playing on or completely wiping the records.
As I keep saying, some will be happy with the outcome and others won’t.
You can’t please all of the people all of the time.
That’s life.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:51:17 am by drfchound »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #335 on May 23, 2020, 09:52:58 am by IDM »
I agree, I think we have gone past the point where this season can resume on the pitch.

However you then need to find the “least worst” solution to end the season, and the only option, whether we like it or not, which is equally fair to all clubs is to void the season.

Of course that wouldn’t please everyone but they would know that they had been treated the same..

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #336 on May 23, 2020, 09:56:20 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Agreed. If anything, football should not be debating the issues of promotion or relegation, it should be about saving the game long term.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #337 on May 23, 2020, 10:06:55 am by silent majority »
Again I find myself making the same point again when it comes to the EFL and how decisions are reached.

You must remember its a membership organisation, so the EFL is the 71 clubs that participate in the competition. Its not a governing body. The EFL as a board and organisation are there to carry out the wishes of its members. That's why decisions are taken the way they are. They have to consult to find out what the various views are and then structure that into something that the majority of clubs will agree on. Nobody has ever seen a situation like this before, therefore there is no provision in the rules to accommodate what happens next. So, once the votes are cast a meeting will have to be called to then vote on the rule changes which will also need to be implemented.

It is convoluted, but its all there for a reason, it means a DRFC vote is worth just as much as any other clubs.

Just to add, this is the boards position;

The Board’s view has been consistent throughout that playing out the remainder of the 2019/20 season when it is safe to do so is the most appropriate course of action. Ideally, all divisions would do so, but as the period of lockdown continues we have been asked to consider what would happen if a particular division was unable to complete the normal season. The Board’s unanimous view is that the League should, as one, determine a consistent position that remains as closely aligned as possible to the existing rules in the event of early curtailment.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:10:13 am by silent majority »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #338 on May 23, 2020, 10:17:32 am by Filo »
Again I find myself making the same point again when it comes to the EFL and how decisions are reached.

You must remember its a membership organisation, so the EFL is the 71 clubs that participate in the competition. Its not a governing body. The EFL as a board and organisation are there to carry out the wishes of its members. That's why decisions are taken the way they are. They have to consult to find out what the various views are and then structure that into something that the majority of clubs will agree on. Nobody has ever seen a situation like this before, therefore there is no provision in the rules to accommodate what happens next. So, once the votes are cast a meeting will have to be called to then vote on the rule changes which will also need to be implemented.

It is convoluted, but its all there for a reason, it means a DRFC vote is worth just as much as any other clubs.

The Board’s view has been consistent throughout that playing out the remainder of the 2019/20 season when it is safe to do so is the most appropriate course of action. Ideally, all divisions would do so, but as the period of lockdown continues we have been asked to consider what would happen if a particular division was unable to complete the normal season. The Board’s unanimous view is that the League should, as one, determine a consistent position that remains as closely aligned as possible to the existing rules in the event of early curtailment.

Was it the wishes of the 71 other clubs to boot Bury out of the league?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #339 on May 23, 2020, 10:20:45 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Understood S_M. I'm not calling out the EFL on this one as such.

It'll need someone like Jurgen Klopp to come out and be bold and say, if we can't do it in front of our fans, we're not doing it. End of.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #340 on May 23, 2020, 10:37:41 am by bedale rover »

I think that unlike the current situation there are clear rules around insolvency  and financial mismanagement so they were just applying what had already been agreed

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #341 on May 23, 2020, 10:37:57 am by silent majority »

Over simplifying as usual Filo.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #342 on May 23, 2020, 10:39:56 am by silent majority »
Understood S_M. I'm not calling out the EFL on this one as such.

It'll need someone like Jurgen Klopp to come out and be bold and say, if we can't do it in front of our fans, we're not doing it. End of.

That's not going to happen though Baz. The government are behind the resumption of the EPL, and it will happen, as will the Championship. But not LG1 and 2 I'm afraid.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #343 on May 23, 2020, 10:40:14 am by silent majority »

I think that unlike the current situation there are clear rules around insolvency  and financial mismanagement so they were just applying what had already been agreed

Exactly.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #344 on May 23, 2020, 10:42:29 am by Alan Southstand »
I guess there will be a few Clubs in the Championship that will not be looking forwards to re-starting the season! No names mentioned, Grant.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #345 on May 23, 2020, 10:55:55 am by Filo »

Not really, they are either a governing body or they are not, and if they are not, as you stated, they are carrying out the wishes of 71 clubs

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #346 on May 23, 2020, 11:07:38 am by NewDonny »

FWIIW, I am past caring really whether the the football resumes or not.
It doesn’t matter whether you or I agree with ppg, playing on or completely wiping the records.
As I keep saying, some will be happy with the outcome and others won’t.
You can’t please all of the people all of the time.
That’s life.

Exactly hound, finally someone gets it.

It doesn't matter what you or I think, or Darren Moore for that matter!

There can be only one of two outcomes from when the Division One clubs do finally meet again, playing the rest of the season out or using PPG to agree the final placings. Like it or lump it, fair or not, that's it and for me I am fine with that. Like you Hound I am past caring, sick to the back teeth with it all to be honest and just want to see a decision made.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #347 on May 23, 2020, 11:36:35 am by IDM »
Of course it matters what DM thinks.. I would expect he has an influence within the club on how it votes within the EFL set up.?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #348 on May 23, 2020, 11:43:13 am by silent majority »

Not really, they are either a governing body or they are not, and if they are not, as you stated, they are carrying out the wishes of 71 clubs

Well they're not a governing body as I've pointed out more times than I care to mention. Regulations are in place that covers most scenarios, including financial restrictions and the expulsion from the league if those regulations are broken. So, from a very simplistic point of view then they are carrying out the wishes of the other 71 clubs.

But I fail to see your point, this thread is about completing the season when we've encountered a situation which isn't covered by the regulations. Why bring the Bury situation up at all, and then make some simplistic and obscure claim that the EFL were carrying out the wishes of the other 71. I fail to see how that is relevant to the discussion or has anything to do with my post which you quoted.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #349 on May 23, 2020, 11:54:49 am by NewDonny »
Of course it matters what DM thinks.. I would expect he has an influence within the club on how it votes within the EFL set up.?

Well don't hold your breath hoping for anything other than PPG IDM.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #350 on May 23, 2020, 07:09:15 pm by karldew »
And he’s still going....

Darragh MacAnthony tweet:

Some maths on putting a game on in an empty stadium (comments welcome)

Cost of game + fans -Stewards/Security/Match day staff for average crowd of 6k-£11k per game
Refs/Officials/Ambulance/medics - £3k per game
TV staff(iFollow) - £1k per game
£15K per normal home game cost

Without a Crowd:
Security/Police/Limited match day staff for stadium - £5k
Refs/Officials/Ambulance/Medics - £3k
TV staff (Ifollow)- £1k per game
£9k per home game in new siutation

5 home games left = £45k to host them

Away game costs for us usually -

£2.5k on away travel hotel and Bus overnight stay
£500 other expenses

4 away games left = £12k topped off say at £15k in total

£60k to play out 9 games for us as above, then below other costs would be Cost of testing estimated at £120k - £140k, so average it out at £130k

No TV refund estimated approx £75k

Net cost of £55k
£55k plus £60k to finish games= £115k

Take players off Furlough for 60 days - £2.5k per player (22 man squads) plus 5 backroom staff - £135k

So £135k plus £115k to finish games = £250k plus £50k to organize training ground & PPE necessary.

So £300k

How much income derived from Ifollow for match day fans, how much merchandise income created from feel good factor of fans having their team playing football again. How much in refunds negated through offering season ticket holders opportunity to watch remaining home games for free? How many sponsors on shirts cant ask for refund with season finished properly.

Let's all agree the real cost in finishing season is less then £250k max. Now add up how much clubs have saved last 2 and half months in no rates to pay on grounds, furlough money & so on. Real figure is couple hundred grand for football clubs to play football competitively as per their leagues. Lets all be honest, this isn't about cost to finish the season or health (football is back worldwide & UK Government told us to bring it back here safely), this is about does your club want football or not want football. Dont come at me with stupid comments. Come at me with fair balanced counter argument to above figures. Btw players costs outside of furlough wages wise already being paid by clubs. Players who contracts run out in June still have to be paid in July as per EFL rules 👍🏻

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #351 on May 23, 2020, 07:23:54 pm by RoversAlias »
Not sure about his maths there.

He is embarrassing himself, not for the first time, will all this carry on. As are his players sending out identical tweets akin to the Tories earlier today with the Cummings fiasco. That journalist we have derided on here before is also at it, crying of "injustice" and shams.

If the roles were reversed they would be begging for the season to be curtailed. It's so transparently all down to the fact they would miss out and are scared all that money spent has gone to waste.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #352 on May 23, 2020, 07:35:30 pm by NewDonny »

He is embarrassing himself, not for the first time, will all this carry on. As are his players sending out identical tweets akin to the Tories earlier today with the Cummings fiasco. That journalist we have derided on here before is also at it, crying of "injustice" and shams.

If the roles were reversed they would be begging for the season to be curtailed. It's so transparently all down to the fact they would miss out and are scared all that money spent has gone to waste.

"Journalist" is a bit of a stretch RA, "Posh Puppet" more like!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #353 on May 23, 2020, 08:16:44 pm by drfchound »
I wonder which hotels that his squad are looking to stay in.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #354 on May 23, 2020, 08:48:25 pm by selby »
  Even in the Championship there are a number of sides who will feel the cost of extending the season to a finish, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County, Birmingham City, Hull City and others will feel the pinch having players out of contract on Mega bucks who they would not want to pay after their contract dates. Add to that the cost of putting games on with testing etc and no income from gate monies and their costs are far higher than the Posh chairman has published, and their debt is already mouthwatering.
  It will be interesting to see what sort of teams a lot of clubs put out just to complete fixtures.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #355 on May 23, 2020, 09:11:24 pm by Draytonian III »
If they have play offs hopefully they lose in the final

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #356 on May 24, 2020, 09:32:15 am by roversdude »

RA would you honestly expect anything different coming out of there, a proper shithouse of a club

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #357 on May 24, 2020, 09:42:58 am by idler »
To be fair they do have a better argument than Ipswich. Each clubs' fans have an idea of their honest chances to go up if the season continued.
Human nature dictates that if there is an opportunity to grasp whatever chance is available you would grab it.
I bet if JR was still chairman we would have heard about us needing to be in any mix.
I don't like the Peterborough chairman or that reporter but without playing another match they are probably the biggest loser.
Look at poor old Barrow as well. They have waited years for a chance to return to the league and that may be snatched away from them. They might never get the chance again.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #358 on May 24, 2020, 09:51:07 am by RedRover45 »
Quote from: idler link=topic=276838.msgf CG 967194#msg967194 date=1590309778
To be fair they do have a better argument than Ipswich. Each clubs' fans have an idea of their honest chances to go up if the season continued.
Human nature dictates that if there is an opportunity to grasp whatever chance is available you would grab it.
I bet if JR was still chairman we would have heard about us needing to be in any mix.
I don't like the Peterborough chairman or that reporter but without playing another match they are probably the biggest loser.
Look at poor old Barrow as well. They have waited years for a chance to return to the league and that may be snatched away from them. They might never get the chance again.

The difference with Barrow though, is there is a ready made vacancy as a replacement for Bury to make up the 92 again

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #359 on May 24, 2020, 10:22:43 am by silent majority »
selby,

The Championship will resume, just like the EPL, and the funds from broadcasters will cover their costs.

That won't happen with Lg1 and 2 which is why it's sensible for those two divisions to hibernate for a while until things improve. If that means partial suppporter ownership, albeit through a government stake, then so be it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:36:08 am by silent majority »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012