Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:01:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: JR on Sharp bid  (Read 17245 times)

coventryrover

• Forum Member
Re:JR on Sharp bid
« Reply #90 on May 20, 2010, 11:04:54 pm by coventryrover »
BobG wrote:
Lads! I'm bloody wetting mesen laughing now!!!

Top marks Cov and Rob. I'm still laughing like a busted drain.

Cheers

BobG

hey I hope you are not thinking of rob and I in THAT way!!!!  Hes to hirsute for me :)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on May 20, 2010, 11:14:52 pm by RobTheRover »
And you are too bloody swarthy!

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #92 on May 20, 2010, 11:19:02 pm by topnotch_Donny »
RobTheRover wrote:
And you are too bloody swarthy!

I hope thats because he has been working down the mine?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on May 20, 2010, 11:21:13 pm by Nudga »
RobTheRover wrote:
BobG wrote:
Ectually m'dears  I can't quite describe what it was that happened. But I can tell you I enjoyed it very, very much indeed :) So thank you very, very much indeed to Mr Rob the Rover. Ooh! He IS a darling :)

Cheers

BobG

Steady on, fellas.  We'll have Nudga and Cussy opening a whole new can of worms here in a minute.

Roberto, I am positively moist, nay, i'm sopping wet through.  ;)

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on May 20, 2010, 11:26:39 pm by Al4475 »
This thread seems to have lost it's way slightly in the last page or so, there's been some thought-provoking discussion - some of which I've (possibly inaccurately) paraphrase...

'Wages?' 'Length of Contract?' 'Size of bid?' 'Why go anywhere else Bill when you know you love it here and are loved?' 'investment/sell-on value?' 'Established or small-fry?' 'Support the club or the CCC?' yadda, yadda, yadda...

Let's not forget that despite Billy coming in last year and doing a super job, he was a contingency, last minute, emergency back-up plan and target for S O'D behind Chris Killen (Which undeniably worked a treat for all parties concerned!) Many of us thought that Billy was perhaps too similar to what we already had and maybe we'd been short changed and settled for second choice - who's to say that should we (as would seem likely imho at the mo) miss out on Billy our latest contingency plan could be just  as effective and inspiring as the last!

In S O'D, JR, R O'K, MW and colleagues we need to trust!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on May 20, 2010, 11:35:44 pm by BobG »
What a cracking and sensible post that is A14475. Thank you. We all needed to be reminded of the points you made - particularly the ones about BS, how he arrived and what we thought of him when he did. Now you've jogged my memory there was indeed a plethora of threads commenting on his too similar style to what he had already.

Cheers

BobG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on May 20, 2010, 11:44:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
RobTheRover wrote:

Steady on, fellas.  We'll have Nudga and Cussy opening a whole new can of worms here in a minute.

Aye. Then sticking their tackle in it. At the same time. Just outside Newton's chippy. In broad daylight.

FILTH.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on May 21, 2010, 07:49:48 am by RobTheRover »
Al4475 wrote:
Let's not forget that despite Billy coming in last year and doing a super job, he was a contingency, last minute, emergency back-up plan and target for S O'D behind Chris Killen

Actually Alan, that is not quite right.  SOD maintains that Sharp was on the list from day one, but he thought we had no chance of tempting him here or affording him.  

The fact we paid all his wages for the entire loan tells everyone all they need to know about the board's ambition.

Smeg

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on May 21, 2010, 08:05:24 am by Smeg »
Can we have some proper news not propaganda.

Paying Billy's wages in full, failed to make even the smallest dent in our board's wealth.

Viewing this board is like watching an episode of The Paul Daniels Magic Show.

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on May 21, 2010, 08:13:28 am by Berkshire Rover »
I would love it if Billy was to sign on, I think there is merit in the argument that we could recoup the fee and a sizeable part of his wages when he is inevitably sold on (as with Wellens and Mills). in my opinion though what made that possible was SOD, he has had the knack of identifying talent, developing it and selling it on, and not just with young kids, but a mixture. I think there should be more focus on what SOD wants / needs to keep him happy at the club.

And finally, I will never having anything but a massive debt of gratitude to what JR has done for this club.

RTID

Moorendsrover

« Reply #100 on May 21, 2010, 11:04:36 am by Moorendsrover »
This is quoted from Blades  mad

I heard we turned down Sharp offer cause they wouldnt give us permission to talk to O'Driscoll

:laugh:  :laugh:  as if.What a load of rubbish

pkt_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on May 21, 2010, 12:09:31 pm by pkt_drfc »
Intresting seems Sharp is not too happy about the offer being turned down if we are to believe it coming from sharp.

http://www.teamtalk.com/doncaster-rovers/6165709/In-demand-Sharp-to-talk-with-Blades

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on May 21, 2010, 12:40:16 pm by RobTheRover »
Smeg wrote:

Paying Billy's wages in full, failed to make even the smallest dent in our board's wealth.

The point is though, Smeg, that virtually all the supporters believed Sheff U were paying a big chunk of Billy's wages last season, and that we were keeping within our ceiling cap on wages.  It was only as the season drew to a close that the real information came out.

To me, that moved the goalposts significantly on whether supporters should doubt the club's ambition.  Believe me, JR and the rest of the board are trying to move mountains to get the right players in next season, and SOD has been given the biggest transfer budget this club has ever had.

There is no propaganda.  Well, \"not a lot\".

adge

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on May 21, 2010, 01:02:04 pm by adge »
it's not difficult to read between the lines here
1/JR asked billy if he would accept a transfer to rovers..answer seems to be yes so wages and length of contract not a problem
2/ JR duly put in a bid reported as £650,000 plus unknown add ons
3/ united turned the bid down as not enough and not that they don't want to sell.

right...now the facts of life here
1/no one makes a bid as a take it or leave it and JR will not have given up
2/ united having turned the bid down publicly  [ and i'm sue having heard rumours ]will be hoping  this starts an auction as they clearly want to sell.

the key is knowing they want to sell where does billy want to go..

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on May 21, 2010, 01:33:40 pm by Wellred »
RobTheRover wrote:
Smeg wrote:

The point is though, Smeg, that virtually all the supporters believed Sheff U were paying a big chunk of Billy's wages last season, and that we were keeping within our ceiling cap on wages.  It was only as the season drew to a close that the real information came out.

To me, that moved the goalposts significantly on whether supporters should doubt the club's ambition.  Believe me, JR and the rest of the board are trying to move mountains to get the right players in next season, and SOD has been given the biggest transfer budget this club has ever had.

I hope I don't appear to be negative here Rob (I am sure certain individuals will think differently however) but where has it ever been announced that SOD has been given the biggest transfer budget this club has ever had?

Smeg

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on May 21, 2010, 01:37:10 pm by Smeg »
RobTheRover wrote:
Smeg wrote:

I'm glad to hear they are moving mountains. What gets my goat is not who we sign or how much we are paying but the lack of proper communication and indeed misinformation that exists. Sometimes I feel the club is taking the piss to be honest. Gone are the days of \"Poor little Donny Rovers\" who haven't got a penny to spend. We are a Championship club and I think it's time we started acting like one.

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on May 21, 2010, 01:51:41 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
Wellred wrote:
RobTheRover wrote:
I hope I don't appear to be negative here Rob (I am sure certain individuals will think differently however) but where has it ever been announced that SOD has been given the biggest transfer budget this club has ever had?

I don't think it has...wasn't Rob just telling us that from the (VSC) horse's mouth?

Jonathan

« Reply #107 on May 21, 2010, 02:02:27 pm by Jonathan »
Wellred wrote:

Get with it! It's been reported in so many places that it even managed to reach the official site last week

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10329~2051861,00.html

So it must be true.

donnybel

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on May 21, 2010, 02:31:25 pm by donnybel »
Forgive my ignorance, but if Billy Sharp really wants to join us and other clubs had higher bids excepted, could he refuse and force Sheff utd's hand?  If so they would have to make do with £650K!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on May 21, 2010, 02:41:56 pm by Wellred »
Jonathan wrote:
Wellred wrote:

Get with it! It's been reported in so many places that it even managed to reach the official site last week

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10329~2051861,00.html

So it must be true.

Doncaster Rovers chairman John Ryan has revealed that manager Sean O'Driscoll has been given the largest budget ever given to a Rovers manager in the Club's history - as the boss looks to add to his squad this summer.

That doesn't say that SOD has been given the largest TRANSFER budget!!

Read into that what you will but it most definitely doesn't say what Rob said!!

It means he has been given the largest operating budget for the season surely?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on May 21, 2010, 02:44:59 pm by Alan Southstand »
They don't have to 'make do' with £650k - they've turned it down! Clearly they think they can get more and have opened up the flood gates, which puts us out of it - unless of course Billy isn't in it just for the money!

Now let me see - money and footballers - er!

How many on here, though would have thought that he would have gone for that amount - if indeed that IS the amount! I would have thought higher than that, myself.

I'll be amazed if we get him now. :(

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on May 21, 2010, 04:05:42 pm by Drover »
donnybel wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but if Billy Sharp really wants to join us and other clubs had higher bids excepted, could he refuse and force Sheff utd's hand?  If so they would have to make do with £650K!

If all parties involved were steadfast and would not budge from those positions Then ultimately Billy would have to carry on seeing out his contract at Sheff utd.But Sheff utd will lose him for nothing at the end of his contract so hence negotiations with ALL parties involved are necessary and more than likely eventually will end with someone or all involved moving positions until a decision is made.

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #112 on May 21, 2010, 04:14:38 pm by topnotch_Donny »
Drover wrote:
donnybel wrote:

If all parties involved were steadfast and would not budge from those positions Then ultimately Billy would have to carry on seeing out his contract at Sheff utd.But Sheff utd will lose him for nothing at the end of his contract so hence negotiations with ALL parties involved are necessary and more than likely eventually will end with someone or all involved moving positions until a decision is made.

With players holding all the power these days, and players earning more when becoming free agents, isn't it in Billies interest to see out his contract with Sheff u so that he can basically name his wage next summer?

If Billy was awkward, he could block all moves and see out his contract. Sheff utd would probably loan him out again to cut the wage bill!

Wouldn't it be nice if we got Billy on loan again  :)

donnybel

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on May 21, 2010, 06:21:35 pm by donnybel »
Thanks for that information Drover and Topnotch,it really is dog eat dog! Me? I can't wait for August... back to the footie and an end of this rumour stuff, well until Jan anyway!  :)

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on May 21, 2010, 06:39:51 pm by Drover »
The situation over Billy and whether we manage to sign him or not reminds me of just before we signed Heffs.The rumours going round was that he was signing for Oldham and alot of us got disappointed and thought we had lost out when JR had smartly done the business behind the seens and the rest is history.Hope the same happens with Billy and we can boast our new signing to all the Leeds rumour mungers.Not that I care about Leeds?  :laugh:

Red Wizard

« Reply #115 on May 21, 2010, 07:59:47 pm by Red Wizard »
The way i see it is Billy is a man of is word. He has said he wants to come to us and i wouldn't be suprised if JR has and Bily have agreed a wage and all is left is the fee with Sheff u. I don't think Billy is drove by money and imo will be happy with a deal on the same or round about what we paid him during is loan. As we all now know we are willing to pay that so imo it all looks good.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on May 21, 2010, 10:45:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Red Wizard wrote:
The way i see it is Billy is a man of is word.

I don't think Billy is drove by money

Chuffing hell, I thought we were trying to sign a centre forward, not the reincarnation of Jesus Christ/Buddha/Mahatma Ghandi rolled into one.

He's a FOOTBALLER. If someone offers him twice the wages that we offer, but on condition that he wipe his arse on his Donny shirt, he'll have 15 pints and a vindaloo beforehand to make sure he is particularly claggy for the said deed.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on May 21, 2010, 10:59:22 pm by BobG »
Red Wizard wrote:
I don't think Billy is drove by money and imo will be happy with a deal on the same or round about what we paid him during is loan. As we all now know we are willing to pay that so imo it all looks good.

Even chuffinger hell :)

So what pearls of wisdom lead you to suggest that \"I don't think Billy is drove by money\" then? And what other inside knowledge have you been given access to that leads you to to the opinion that Billy \"will be happy with a deal on the same or round about what we paid him during is loan\"?

To think I pay my taxes for an education system that produces this as a serious contribution to debate...

Cheers

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012