Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 12:44:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Great win  (Read 5458 times)

Rovin Reporter

Great win
« on November 13, 2010, 05:01:38 pm by Rovin Reporter »
Onwards and upwards !! :woohoo:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re:Great win
« Reply #1 on November 13, 2010, 05:05:41 pm by PDX_Rover »
You'd take 4 points from those two away games.... but bloody hell we never make it easy do we? :ohmy:

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 13, 2010, 05:06:05 pm by PDX_Rover »
You'd take 4 points from those two away games.... but bloody hell we never make it easy do we? :ohmy:

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 13, 2010, 05:15:06 pm by mushRTID »
4 points from Burnley and Pompey away is great. It just makes the reading result that bit more frustrating though.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 13, 2010, 05:17:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
And we would have had 3 points there had it not been for the weak ref !

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 13, 2010, 05:23:59 pm by Standanista »
Agree with all the above.

Not only 4 points away, but away at two teams in the Premiership last season.  COME ON DONNY!!!   :woohoo:

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 13, 2010, 05:29:19 pm by benaldo »
We're not bad are we! :laugh:

Someone on a pompy forum wrote \"You know what, donny really ARE the arsenal of the championship\".

And who said Healey was washed up? All his career he's been pinging in goals like that from nothing. Guess he needs a bit more of the SOD magic and we can really look forward to something special when him and billy play up front! Can't wait!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 13, 2010, 05:34:22 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Another quote;

watched, as I say, the Donny- Sheffield U. game on TV a few weeks ago and it left an impression on me. They...and get this...PASS and MOVE. They play good football with young players. They were excellent to watch. We aren't. I would seriously look at O'Driscoll and his bringing a lot of his players with him.

VikingJames

« Reply #8 on November 13, 2010, 05:36:42 pm by VikingJames »
It's frightening to think where in the league we'd be if we had a good defence. We are scoring goals for fun at the minute, and I seriously think we'd be chasing the likes of Cardiff and QPR if we didn't concede so many goals!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 13, 2010, 05:38:34 pm by mushRTID »
VikingJames wrote:
It's frightening to think where in the league we'd be if we had a good defence. We are scoring goals for fun at the minute, and I seriously think we'd be chasing the likes of Cardiff and QPR if we didn't concede so many goals!

I agree with you there. This team with a Mills/Shackell would be near them. This team with Mills and Shackell would be top.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 13, 2010, 05:40:06 pm by SkellowRover »
VikingJames wrote:

Spot on, so many goals conceded by poor defending. If we are in this position come january do you think JR would give SOD some funds to bring in a defender or 2 for the final push?

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 13, 2010, 05:44:07 pm by goalkick »
sure a classy c/h would do the trick. one player short of an excellent squad.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 13, 2010, 05:47:02 pm by benaldo »
Like i've said before, I think Thomas will make a difference. Of the two conceeded today, one was a sully blunder like the millwall game, I'm not sure about the other. Martis is \"Mr Shaky\", but at least Thomas will help steady the ship a bit. I'm guessing hird had something to do with their other goal...just a hunch. I still think our best defence is Chambers, O'Connor, Thomas, Mills.

VikingJames

« Reply #13 on November 13, 2010, 05:47:16 pm by VikingJames »
Although, having said that, I'm not getting too carried away. I'd still be thrilled to bits with 8th place at the end of the season. Sounds daft considering how close to the top 6 we are at the moment, but a top 10 finish would make people start taking us seriously, and would show progress from last year.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 13, 2010, 05:49:15 pm by andysly »
I said before season started we'd finish 10th, and have a bit of a flirt with play-offs.......the chatting up has begun :-)

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 13, 2010, 05:49:51 pm by Superspy »
did anybody just see the absolute howler of a backpass mills did in the norwich/reading game?

just goes to show even the best make mistakes, haha.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 13, 2010, 05:50:30 pm by Superspy »
andysly wrote:
I said before season started we'd finish 10th, and have a bit of a flirt with play-offs.......the chatting up has begun :-)

no, no, no, no, no, please god, anything but 10th.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 13, 2010, 05:53:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Broadly agree, but let's not write off some of our defenders just yet. As the Pompey fan said, we have young players !

Well, Dumbuya and Mills are young anyway but I'm sure as games pass, the back four can only improve as a unit. Plus, defending is a team game and it needs everyone to contribute.

I noted today, Copps' name cropped up a few times doing his defensive stuff.

Let's not get too carried away, we don't want to peak too early otherwise the vultures could be circling for our manager and some of the players.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 13, 2010, 05:56:58 pm by andysly »
Superspy wrote:
andysly wrote:

no, no, no, no, no, please god, anything but 10th.

Why not 10th ?  :huh:

VikingJames

« Reply #19 on November 13, 2010, 06:03:16 pm by VikingJames »
Isn't there some sort of curse on 10th place where the team goes on to struggle the following year?

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 13, 2010, 06:03:40 pm by Superspy »
the 10th place curse, its bloody frightening.

something like over the last 8 years only 3 teams have finished 10th and not been relegated the season after, 1 of them millwall, who finished 10th again, and THEN got relegated, another bristol city, who have done the same, finished 10th for the last 2 seasons, and are now looking a bit doomed, and another team who plainly got away with.

seriously, look back over the last few years in the championship, its scary how many times its happened.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 13, 2010, 06:17:46 pm by hoolahoop »
Great win today, I've been at work and darting to and from the car.
Great to see Brooker and Healey coming together too.....now we have a strike force to reckon with alongside Hayts , sharpy and Copps.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 13, 2010, 06:18:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Nice of them.

Well done today Donny fans. You have a great team. I find it hard to believe, the transformation that has been acheived, in such a relatively short period of time, by your good selves. Best of luck for the season!

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 13, 2010, 06:26:47 pm by Standanista »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:
Nice of them.

Well done today Donny fans. You have a great team. I find it hard to believe, the transformation that has been acheived, in such a relatively short period of time, by your good selves. Best of luck for the season!

What a difference 11 years make:

Hanging on by the skin of our teeth

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 13, 2010, 06:43:12 pm by Standanista »
benaldo wrote:
Like i've said before, I think Thomas will make a difference. Of the two conceeded today, one was a sully blunder like the millwall game, I'm not sure about the other. Martis is \"Mr Shaky\", but at least Thomas will help steady the ship a bit. I'm guessing hird had something to do with their other goal...just a hunch. I still think our best defence is Chambers, O'Connor, Thomas, Mills.

A mate of mine here is a Saints fan.  He rates Thomas highly when fit, but reckons he's too injury prone to be a first team regular.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 13, 2010, 06:43:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just heard O'Driscoll and credit to him to say that they (the coaching staff) have learned from the Reading game.

Having also listened to his pre-match interview, where he commented about the player's influence on the way they play.

Said that they used to have 5 or 6 corner routines, but the players wanted to do more 'off the cuff' stuff and make decisions on the pitch. This explains why we've been seeing different corner takers in the last couple of matches. Maybe no coincidence that we're beginning to look more of a threat at set pieces.

Also he mentioned about coaching Wayne Thomas. Says to him, it's no good bringing the ball out of defence on the training pitch and not doing it on a Saturday. If you do, do it on a Saturday and take the responsibility but the players need to know what you're going to do, so train exactly the way you intend to play.

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 13, 2010, 06:48:53 pm by Fal »
Superspy wrote:

something like over the last 8 years only 3 teams have finished 10th and not been relegated the season after, 1 of them millwall, who finished 10th again, and THEN got relegated, another bristol city, who have done the same, finished 10th for the last 2 seasons, and are now looking a bit doomed, and another team who plainly got away with.

seriously, look back over the last few years in the championship, its scary how many times its happened.

Luton also finished 10th and look where they are now....  :ohmy:

TheRev

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 13, 2010, 07:38:06 pm by TheRev »
Fal wrote:
Superspy wrote:

Luton also finished 10th and look where they are now....  :ohmy:

Still in Bedfordshire  :blush:

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 13, 2010, 08:40:43 pm by i_ateallthepies »
benaldo wrote:

Just a hunch that Hird had something to do with their other goal eh?  Seems fair enough to me.

So, you still think our best defense is Chambers, O'Connor, Thomas and Mills eh?  They've never been on the same fcuking field together.

Come back when you've got something sensible to say.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 13, 2010, 10:24:33 pm by ravenrover »
benaldo wrote:

What is it with you and Sam Hird? You've slagged him off on and earlier post and now, from your comments, you weren't at the match but you are blaming him for giving away a goal that you haven't even seen FFS!!!!!!
Leave the managing of this club and players to SO'D stop talking out of your ars* and shut the f**k up!!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012