Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:28:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: So now we know why Flynn got the job!  (Read 7621 times)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: So now we know why Flynn got the job!
« Reply #30 on February 15, 2013, 12:40:00 pm by MachoMadness »
If we'd nicked a win on Tuesday this thread wouldn't have been made. I can't believe people are turning on Flynn after 3 bad games, a minor blip by anyones' standards. Sometimes I wonder what some of our fans expect.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

neil grainger

« Reply #31 on February 15, 2013, 12:41:52 pm by neil grainger »
Wow, thanks for this startling revelation mrfrostsdad.

While we're at it, I've heard that Maggie Thatcher was never actually a huge fan of the Trades Unions all along!

neil grainger

« Reply #32 on February 15, 2013, 12:45:09 pm by neil grainger »

In the public sector (where  I have spent most of my working life - 35 yrs in total) all the applicants would be able bring a charge under the Equal Opportunities Act if it could be proved the correct shortlisting had not been done.

Probably one of many reasons why much of the Public Sector is a complete shambles.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 15, 2013, 12:48:30 pm by Lipsy »
It's not as though we were invincible before Saunders left (and, no, I am not having a dig at Saunders). Here's a tweet from Paul Goodwin on the 27th December:

Anorak's corner. #drfc vs teams 15th-24th P11 W10 D1. #drfc vs teams 1st-14th P12 W3 D3 L6. Perhaps highlights need for reinforcements.

Notwithstanding the fluidity of the league table, I think it tells its own story, no?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 15, 2013, 03:44:34 pm by silent majority »
No conspiracy theory.
How does anyone know who the best candidate is for any job unless shortlisting/interviews are carried out.
In the public sector (where  I have spent most of my working life - 35 yrs in total) all the applicants would be able bring a charge under the Equal Opportunities Act if it could be proved the correct shortlisting had not been done. Not saying for a minute this should happen at a football club, but how do we know the best candidate got the job?
Cheapest option IMO, to which I am entitled

Can you justify the 'cheapest option' statement?

DRFC have a figure which managers at this club earn. That sum of money was available to whoever became the manager, or do you think that they are still paying him his scouting salary? I can assure you that's not the case so how is it a cheap option?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 15, 2013, 03:54:07 pm by MrFrost »
No conspiracy theory.
How does anyone know who the best candidate is for any job unless shortlisting/interviews are carried out.
In the public sector (where  I have spent most of my working life - 35 yrs in total) all the applicants would be able bring a charge under the Equal Opportunities Act if it could be proved the correct shortlisting had not been done. Not saying for a minute this should happen at a football club, but how do we know the best candidate got the job?

DRFC have a figure which managers at this club earn. That sum of money was available to whoever became the manager, or do you think that they are still paying him his scouting salary? I can assure you that's not the case so how is it a cheap option?

Maybe cheaper than paying compensation to another club for their manager.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 15, 2013, 04:00:54 pm by hoolahoop »
No conspiracy theory.

Maybe cheaper than paying compensation to another club for their manager.

Of course it is a cheaper option but that doesn't mean he isn't getting the wage we would usually pay a manager. Was it the correct decision well.................we will have to wait and see how well he turns this shambles around. That will be the 'real' test of his ability and whether he was the right man for the job. Injuries aside, the way we have played these last 3 games leaves much to be desired.
Time to prove it Brian........................................................................

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 15, 2013, 04:53:28 pm by grayx »
No conspiracy theory.

Come off it S.M. I'd be amazed if Flynn wasnt the cheapest option, when you take into account compensation packages to bring in another manager etc.

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 15, 2013, 05:05:31 pm by Belle Vue Popside »
I hope people aren't chucking me in with the 'Anti-Flynn' group? I'd hardly say he's had a lot of negativity about him either...  :unsure:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 15, 2013, 05:55:08 pm by hoolahoop »
No conspiracy theory.

Come off it S.M. I'd be amazed if Flynn wasnt the cheapest option, when you take into account compensation packages to bring in another manager etc.

Of course he was the cheapest offer but that how can you draw any conclusion from that . It doesn't necessarily mean he was the worst/inferior option, we will have to wait and see.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 15, 2013, 05:57:56 pm by grayx »
In hindsight a monthly rolling contract may have been the best option.

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 15, 2013, 06:00:52 pm by Belle Vue Popside »

But then that goes against the whole point of is appointment in the first place (stability)... Can't have stability for the rest of the season if nobody knows whether he's actually going to be here from 1 month until the next.

His contract is the perfect length.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 15, 2013, 06:09:46 pm by grayx »

But then that goes against the whole point of is appointment in the first place (stability)... Can't have stability for the rest of the season if nobody knows whether he's actually going to be here from 1 month until the next.

I disagree. What point is stability if its unsuccessful?
If he'd been given a monthly rolling contract and results were ok he'd no doubt have been here til the end of the season anyway.

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 15, 2013, 06:19:24 pm by Belle Vue Popside »

I disagree. What point is stability if its unsuccessful?
If he'd been given a monthly rolling contract and results were ok he'd no doubt have been here til the end of the season anyway.

But given him a 1 month rolling contract is hardly a sign of having confidence in somebody is it? That would in turn spiral down to the players and fans... Atleast this way the players know exactly what they need to do and don't have to worry about anything other than their playing duties.

It's not really been unsuccessful has it? When Dean Saunders left, we were joint top (in 2nd) having played the same games... We are currently still 2nd but this time 1 point behind but with a game in hand!

Yeah the chasing pack have caught up, BUT... When DS left, we was 4 points above 3rd and they had a game in hand on us (which i believe they won which will have put us 1 point ahead)... We are still 1 point ahead of 3rd.

I'd say as stability goes, it's been pretty good!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 15, 2013, 06:47:22 pm by silent majority »
No conspiracy theory.

And what about all those managers that applied for the job who we wouldn't have to pay compensation to? Money was not a factor in this decision at all, therefore if it was the cheapest option then it wasn't even considered as an option.

So be amazed!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 15, 2013, 07:07:59 pm by IDM »
Jesus Christ folks!! BF is our manager with the trust of JR and the board, and the players..

Give them all some support and judge at the end of the season...

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 15, 2013, 11:20:52 pm by hoolahoop »
No conspiracy theory.

And what about all those managers that applied for the job who we wouldn't have to pay compensation to? Money was not a factor in this decision at all, therefore if it was the cheapest option then it wasn't even considered as an option.

So be amazed!

Ergo seemingly ''dearest'' is not always in fact rarely the best option in football. Give the man a chance at least before you consign him to the scrapheap after all the last 3 managers have given us plenty of 'ups' Yes there have been some troubled times, which are well documented, but the last 12 years have been good to us. All these managers have been entirely unexpected appointments but all have given us value ; why not the 4th. ?

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 16, 2013, 10:22:18 am by mrfrostsdad »
When I said 'cheapest option' I didn't mean he would get paid less than any other manager, what I meant was, any other established manager (and there are plenty out of work at the moment - hence why we got over 100 applicants - many 'high profile ones' according to JR) would have wanted money to strengthen our small squad, especially now with 3 of our best players out.
It seems no money is available. Can't see a Mark Robins, Owen Coyle or anyone coming in with no money to spend

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on February 16, 2013, 02:41:02 pm by silent majority »
Money is available and always has been. But the game of football has changed and transfer fees don't feature any more. If by 'money available' you mean transfer fees then you may be right, but its wages which are key, you need deep pockets for some of the players we are asking for. Mark Robins et al all understand that. So, I am repeating myself but he wasn't the cheapest option and I guarantee that most of the managers out of those who applied would jump at coming to a club so well run.

And I'll give you an example, how did Mark Robins end up at Coventry? Do you think he's had a pot money available there, or did he have a smaller budget than he would have if he'd arrived at the Keepmoat? In that respect Robins would have been a cheaper option than Flynn.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:49:30 pm by silent majority »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on February 16, 2013, 02:43:16 pm by hoolahoop »
When I said 'cheapest option' I didn't mean he would get paid less than any other manager, what I meant was, any other established manager (and there are plenty out of work at the moment - hence why we got over 100 applicants - many 'high profile ones' according to JR) would have wanted money to strengthen our small squad, especially now with 3 of our best players out.
It seems no money is available. Can't see a Mark Robins, Owen Coyle or anyone coming in with no money to spend

i would have thought that the emphasis is on whether they themselves can get employment before employing others . Good managers would only have needed to 'tweak' this team at that time and perhaps made small changes early on.
My point still stands ........give the man a chance and if we're still labouring 3/4 games down the line then I might consider again the merits of your argument
Are you suggesting that a change could be needed now ?

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 16, 2013, 04:28:55 pm by grayx »
Money is available and always has been. But the game of football has changed and transfer fees don't feature any more. If by 'money available' you mean transfer fees then you may be right, but its wages which are key, you need deep pockets for some of the players we are asking for. Mark Robins et al all understand that. So, I am repeating myself but he wasn't the cheapest option and I guarantee that most of the managers out of those who applied would jump at coming to a club so well run.

And I'll give you an example, how did Mark Robins end up at Coventry? Do you think he's had a pot money available there, or did he have a smaller budget than he would have if he'd arrived at the Keepmoat? In that respect Robins would have been a cheaper option than Flynn.

Robins would have been a cheaper option than Flynn?
I think not.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 16, 2013, 04:29:09 pm by Lifelong supporter »
I thought he got the job because he was Plan B...

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 16, 2013, 05:21:39 pm by mrfrostsdad »
No hoola, not suggesting a change now. We need to stick with what we've got now. But we need two midfielders and a striker (IMO) and quick! Looks like Syers and Hume are still out, and Brown and Griffin

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on February 16, 2013, 05:22:43 pm by silent majority »

Robins would have been a cheaper option than Flynn?
I think not.

That's not what I wrote. What I said was at Coventry he's had less money to spend than any manager coming into the job at DRFC and in that respect he would be cheaper, i.e. comparing job by job.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on February 16, 2013, 05:23:49 pm by silent majority »
No hoola, not suggesting a change now. We need to stick with what we've got now. But we need two midfielders and a striker (IMO) and quick! Looks like Syers and Hume are still out, and Brown and Griffin

Syers and Hume back for Yeovil, two midfielders and a striker to come in.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 16, 2013, 05:30:38 pm by hoolahoop »

Lovely when will the names be announced martin ? :)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on February 16, 2013, 05:49:37 pm by silent majority »

Hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday. I think everybody will be pleased if the names I have heard are confirmed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:57:03 pm by silent majority »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on February 16, 2013, 05:53:10 pm by hoolahoop »
 :thumbsup: cheers for that not even a hint ;)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 16, 2013, 06:31:50 pm by RedJ »
Well if it's half as good as the other signings we've made this season we'll be fine. I just wonder if we'll be getting a striker who's a 'goal machine'.. ;)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on February 16, 2013, 06:50:02 pm by MachoMadness »
Well if it's half as good as the other signings we've made this season we'll be fine. I just wonder if we'll be getting a striker who's a 'goal machine'.. ;)

Of the afroed variety?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012