Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:36:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Would you keep as our manager for the forthcoming season?

YES...he got us promoted as Champions, would more could he have done
78 (53.1%)
NO...he isn't a proven manager, he will get eaten alive in the Championship
69 (46.9%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: Tomorrow is d-day for Brian Flynn...  (Read 4162 times)

Red Rover

• Forum Member
Tomorrow is d-day for Brian Flynn...
« on April 30, 2013, 11:25:32 am by Red Rover »
I'm torn to be honest. He seems a lovely bloke, got us promoted as champions, even if the football was rough to watch. He's a scout, is he a manager? He's cheapest we're going to get but is he disciplined enough for the second tier of English football? Would he accept a lowly assistant managers job or scouting job again with us after running things his way for the past 6 months?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
Re: Tomorrow is d-day for Brian Flynn...
« Reply #1 on April 30, 2013, 11:30:00 am by Rovers-on-Thames »
Is tomorrow really D-day? Why has he been given a 2-week contract and rumors on here suggesting "its going to take slightly longer than expected"?

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 30, 2013, 11:31:03 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
I for one really hope he gets the job

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 30, 2013, 11:48:28 am by BigKeif »
He's done a really terrific job but I would sooner see him move into a different position at the club i.e. director of football as he would be best suited in that role than manager for me.

uros-predic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 30, 2013, 11:57:17 am by uros-predic »
Did an ok job of seeing out the season, very nearly messed it up though, in my opinion we wouldn't of got promoted if he was in charge all season, although i do think it could unsettle things if we dont keep him

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 30, 2013, 12:03:06 pm by bpoolrover »
We have won leauge and still people question.him! When we win the players get the credit yet the same people blame the manager.when we lose,could someone tell me what flynn has done wrong?

Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 30, 2013, 12:15:17 pm by Red Rover »
Is tomorrow really D-day? Why has he been given a 2-week contract and rumors on here suggesting "its going to take slightly longer than expected"?

John Ryan said on Sunday he was sitting down with the board on Tuesday to sort out contracts and futures, including Brian's.

Also I spoke to Brian on Sunday and he said he finds out his fate on Wednesday

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 30, 2013, 12:15:55 pm by The L J Monk »
He's done a decent job, but there are better options available.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 30, 2013, 12:26:06 pm by bpoolrover »
  like who

Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 30, 2013, 12:35:20 pm by Red Rover »
Wow, 14 votes for, 14 votes against...we really are split!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 30, 2013, 12:39:45 pm by graingrover »
you have to also weigh up what would happen if he were to be replaced by someone else who does not know our squad ( many of who are now out of contract). The only possible alternative that I would envisage is a return of Saunders and Flynn to revert to the rĂ´le he played under him.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 30, 2013, 12:48:16 pm by the vicar »
he got us there so deserves a chance

Donny Old Boy

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 30, 2013, 12:51:44 pm by Donny Old Boy »
Keep him on in an advisor role and for me have Captain Fantastic as player manager.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 30, 2013, 02:55:26 pm by RoversAlias »
I think that says it all. My vote took this poll to 27 - 27! Dead heat.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 30, 2013, 03:19:42 pm by The L J Monk »
  like who

Personally I'd like to see Paul Tisdale given a shot at a higher level.

Coyle would be an ambitious option - it would come down to finances and Coyle's motivations.

Mark Yates

Greg Abbott

Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 30, 2013, 10:58:05 pm by Red Rover »
45 to 35 for now...Brians getting the confidence!

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 30, 2013, 11:07:35 pm by Al4475 »
I was never Deano's biggest fan and still aren't but from the position we were in when Dean left, Brian couldn't really have blown it.

However our form since Brian took over is probably not top two form or even (and I'm sure someone will pull the stats out) much better than top 8.

For me, I'm sorry - time to thank him for his sterling interim work (which I thought was pretty clear that's all it was anyway) and pop him now back to top scout/reserves/assistant/director of football or whatever - but bring someone else in for the Championship battle ahead!

However - should he be appointed full time - he'll get my backing as ever like every manager!

"Keep him on in an advisor role and for me have Captain Fantastic as player manager." Please  no let's not go there! Although this too, should it occur, would also get my full support despite me not placing RJ on the same pedestal as many of you do!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:11:52 pm by Al4475 »

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 30, 2013, 11:07:49 pm by gillinghamrover »
Give the man a break!! He has just steered us to a championship winning season(so what if he was steering a squad mainly put together by his predecessor). He's managed us to promotion give him a chance.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 30, 2013, 11:09:15 pm by BobG »
One of those really painful decisions that crop up from time to time. For me, I wouldn't keep him on despite everything.

BobG

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 30, 2013, 11:16:39 pm by scaley back rover »
keep him on definatly as he has managed to get us up with someone elses team and that can never be easy for any manager. i have also thought the lads furman and lundstram have been great signings as he could see that we had a problem in midfield so dealt with it.I know its not been champagne football for the most part but its done the job .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 30, 2013, 11:17:58 pm by dickos1 »
Have no idea what the guys done wrong, he's improved our league position, he's improved our squad quite dramatically, and was heavily involved in all the signings we did last summer, so has had a massive impact on us winning the title.
In my opinion he has to be given a chance, anything else would be disgraceful, and make us look ridiculous.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 30, 2013, 11:23:24 pm by Al4475 »
I'm not berating the guy - and I agree with Scaley - Furman and Lundstram have been amazing - I alos agree with Dickos, he was massively involved in all the good stuff last summer - that's where I see him having most impact!

As BOB G says it's a real tough decision now that needs making - as with many of the players, which ones can make the step up - in my honest opinion and many others - very few (and i'd love again to be proven wrong!)

We need to wherever possible say a huge 'thankyou very much for your efforts - you've been great this season, but we need something different in the division above!"

Heaven knows the players and managers move soon enough (as we've seen time and time again) when something better/more handsomely paid crops up - we should do the same as a club in my eyes!

This I think is where we will see the real clout of Gavin Baldwin - there'll be no sentiment there from him! He's a progressive forward thinker who gets a job done quickly and effectively - I would imagine he'll be more at the forefront this summer!

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 01, 2013, 12:31:28 am by les@donr »
I think Brian should be kept on as a General Manager with a younger guy being Team Manager, someone along the lines of Justin Edinburgh. Whatever happens I hope the Board treat Brian with courtesy and due respect that he deserves for what he has achieved at Rovers.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 01, 2013, 03:56:27 am by RoversAlias »
Abbott and Yates would be frankly embarrassing appointments, worse than Dickov. Would love us to entice someone like Owen Coyle but I can't see it happening.

Paul Tisdale is a good shout though.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 01, 2013, 08:49:45 am by moses »
We have to sort the manager situation out first, with some of our better players like Spurr out of contract shortly.
If we dont the ones we would like to keep will drift off and the ones we dont want to keep will be left. If we give contracts out to some of the players and then get a new manager we could end up with players the manager does not want.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 01, 2013, 09:24:34 am by colincramb »
Keep him on. He's got the players on side most importantly and if it's correct there will be no huge influx of players this season then it's even more important he stays

BK29

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 01, 2013, 10:37:15 am by BK29 »
Move him upstairs and get someone like Paul Tisdale in. Done a fantastic job at overachieving with Exeter on budgets much smaller than the teams he's had to compete with, which is exactly what we'll have to do, only on a bigger scale.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 01, 2013, 11:07:23 am by Mr1Croft »
I think he deserves the same chance Dean Saunders got after relegation. Especially considering that we didnt see much to convince most of us we would bounce back immediatley. As it can be proved by looking at other threads from the beginning of the season, more people predicted relegation over the play-offs which shows the faith we had in Saunders after watching him in 39 games in the Championship.

I was also under the impression that this season was one about becoking a stable team again. To get promoted as Champions and still be looking for another manajer just defeats the object.

I don't see what more he could have done to be honest. There was no guarantee Saunders would have kept up the remarkable 2 points per game and there is no guarantee he would have got any more points than Flynn when hit by injuries. Flynn has responded magnificently since handed the job and he will go down in history as the first manager to win us the third division title in over 60 years.

Whatever happens gets my backing, I just hope that whether we keep Brian or not, it turns out to be the right decision.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 01, 2013, 11:57:55 am by ditch_drfc »
One of the problems with Flynn is that I can't really see him managing us for a very long time. He was appointed as an interim manager, and that's what he'll remain. Who can really imagine him getting a 3 year deal? If he does get made permanent manager, we'll have these questions of when to get rid every pre-season and every time there's a bad spell.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 01, 2013, 12:17:07 pm by DonnyNoel »
Paul Goodwin has tweeted that his position will be clarified on Friday.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012