Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 11:48:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mark Duffy on his way out.  (Read 18114 times)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: Mark Duffy on his way out.
« Reply #90 on June 18, 2014, 10:13:51 pm by Dare to dream! »

Think some of us might be a but sour when rembering his performences

Like when? A free kick against Yeovil that the keeper should have saved?

Finish against Charlton? He was good for us obviously not every game but was Cotts or Copps good every week? No.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on June 18, 2014, 11:12:10 pm by Donnybax »
Was the most wasteful player we had. Spits his dummy out at the slightest things too he even did when he was getting in the team early on in the season.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on June 18, 2014, 11:13:01 pm by pib »
I wonder who he'll sign for next year.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on June 18, 2014, 11:22:48 pm by boro_rover »
Maybe not DTD, but they were much more consistent. They also can get there head up and not just dribble down a blind alley.

Kyle Bennett has scored a couple of great goals for us as well you know. It doesn't mean your a great footballer because you managed one good finish. It's about producing the goods most weeks, and standing out amongst your peers.

Sorry but for me he isn't that player. Exciting at times -yes. But missing against most big teams and the more talented and experienced championship defenders had him in their pockets. It's not sour grapes, just how it is.

donnyguy61

« Reply #94 on June 19, 2014, 12:20:38 am by donnyguy61 »

Duffy disappointed by Doncaster
BY ROB HARKER ⋅

New Birmingham City signing Mark Duffy, has told Twitter that he was disappointed by Doncaster Rovers’ treatment towards him, which played a key role in his decision to move on.

“Towards the end I wasn’t treated fairly, which made a very tough decision over the summer slightly easier,” Duffy told the social network.

The former Scunthorpe playermaker was left out of Rovers starting eleven for the final six matches of the season. His final starting appearance came in defeat to Birmingham City. Rovers picked up just one point in the matches following his omission.

Duffy also hit out at some Doncaster supporters, “There’s a lot of fans out there angry towards me, but I gave my all in every game. If you came to the games you would all know this.

It is believed that Duffy activated a clause in his contract allowing him to join the St Andrews side on a free transfer following his relegation to League One.

Duffy had previously tweeted: “Just want to say thank you to Doncaster Rovers FC for the last year, the fans and players have been brilliant with me from the go, I’m sure they will bounce back next year.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on June 19, 2014, 06:13:47 am by hoolahoop »
Players like Duffy got us relegated,he never produced enough when given the chance,he underperformed to what we thought he would be,we had too many players who did the same.
He didn't play that many games,i thought he had potential to do well for us,sometimes it doesn't work,personally i think he will do better at Birmingham.
We have to accept we are in League One,and even with new owners,can't compete with Birmingham,disappointed if it's true he had a free get out clause,but Birmingham wouldn't have paid a fee anyway,free transfers on decent wages are how they do it.
You don't win League's with Players who don't want to stay at a club.

That's bollox and you know it , Duffy was EXACTLY the sort of player needed to inject some venom into Rovers for those last 6 matches !
Sounds to me that because he has exercised his right  that fans find it just well easier to slag him off.
Given the circumstances.......most of us in his position would have done the same !

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on June 19, 2014, 07:34:30 am by Beerseller »
My memory isn't what it used to be so I may be well wrong here but wasn't Duffy ill or injured for a while and brought back too early?  I'm sure he looked well off the pace rather than uninterested and for a player of his type he really needed to be 100% fit.

Maybe he never seemed to regain the fitness PD thought he needed to be in the team for the last few matches.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on June 19, 2014, 07:36:45 am by BigH »
Sorry Hoola but I'm with Sammy on this one.

There's clearly been a spat between Dickov and Duffy; otherwise why would a player go to a bankrupt club in a division that is beyond their capability.

On the face of it, Duffy seems to be sticking two fingers up at Rovers. "I'm off to a bigger club" and all that. In reality, I think he's narked that he couldn't make it work last season. He had his moments but, by and large, I found many of his performances insipid and wanting. By the last 6-7 games I think Dickov had lost confidence.

So, while I think that Duffy under a more paternalistic manager with confidence restored could probably do a lot better in L1, a move was inevitable. Unfortunately, for him, I don't think Birmingham is the place to go. For us, however, it means that Dickov probably gets to recycle Duffy's not inconsiderable wages to better effect. I look forward to seeing who comes in to replace him.

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on June 19, 2014, 07:40:32 am by RJHeader »
Are you sure it wasn't the club that exercised it's clause in the contract??

Well if true thats even more ridiculous than first thought.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on June 19, 2014, 07:46:09 am by Wellred »
Goodbye Mr Duffy. I am sure you won't be missed.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on June 19, 2014, 08:15:20 am by steve@dcfd »
Duffy like Copps and Cotterill were inconsistent in the championship. Was that all his own fault or the managers for not getting the best out of players.
He was not used in the last six games, we were told he was injured.
Either him or Copps should have been played behind a striker in an attacking role. We would have been more creative, so like other attacking players we had last season the tactics adopted by the manager failed to get the best out him.
I still not sure he as the qualities for the championship consistently but next season we will have to see.

Milepostuk

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on June 19, 2014, 09:06:30 am by Milepostuk »
He's also blaming us!

"Duffy also hit out at some Doncaster supporters, “There’s a lot of fans out there angry towards me, but I gave my all in every game. If you came to the games you would all know this."

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/duffy-disappointed-by-doncaster/?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on June 19, 2014, 09:11:33 am by Filo »
He's also blaming us!

"Duffy also hit out at some Doncaster supporters, “There’s a lot of fans out there angry towards me, but I gave my all in every game. If you came to the games you would all know this."

We went to the games, thats why the general consensus is he drifted in and out of games, lost the ball often and generally did n't look up for the fight, as proved by him blaming everyone but himself for him leaving

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on June 19, 2014, 09:27:06 am by Jenny »
He's also blaming us!

I like how that article doesn't quote his tweets exactly, omitting his crap use of the English language.

But aside from that, I don't think he is blaming the fans for him leaving or his performances, he is simply expressing his frustrations at the abuse that he got following his departure.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on June 19, 2014, 10:29:19 am by Wellred »
Players like Duffy got us relegated,he never produced enough when given the chance,he underperformed to what we thought he would be,we had too many players who did the same.
He didn't play that many games,i thought he had potential to do well for us,sometimes it doesn't work,personally i think he will do better at Birmingham.
We have to accept we are in League One,and even with new owners,can't compete with Birmingham,disappointed if it's true he had a free get out clause,but Birmingham wouldn't have paid a fee anyway,free transfers on decent wages are how they do it.

That's bollox and you know it , Duffy was EXACTLY the sort of player needed to inject some venom into Rovers for those last 6 matches !
Sounds to me that because he has exercised his right  that fans find it just well easier to slag him off.
Given the circumstances.......most of us in his position would have done the same !

It's a shame he didn't inject some venom into Rovers in the games he did play. Then maybe he might have been picked for the last 6 games?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on June 19, 2014, 11:10:22 am by pib »

You're entitled to your view, but that doesn't make sammy's 'bollox' just because you don't agree with it.

I am seemingly among quite a few on here who was disappointed by Duffy. He did have some good games, but mostly he was ineffective with the ball and spent most of the time running into defenders rather than past them. If he thinks he was badly treated because he was left out of the side, then I disagree with him. He got what he deserved and other players performed well enough to keep him out.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on June 19, 2014, 11:15:22 am by Donnybax »

it's not though is it. Duffy wasn't good enough he might do something every now and then that got you excited but it soon ended he'd lose the ball straight after. End product was dire and when he lost it he couldn't be arsed to get it back. He never tracked back and gave his full backs no protection at all

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on June 19, 2014, 12:41:59 pm by hoolahoop »

it's not though is it. Duffy wasn't good enough he might do something every now and then that got you excited but it soon ended he'd lose the ball straight after. End product was dire and when he lost it he couldn't be arsed to get it back. He never tracked back and gave his full backs no protection at all

Strange this all you could hear in the stands and pubs was ''why didn't we play Duffy''  ? Now he's gone and seemingly had the temerity to have a go back at the supporters slagging him off he's now dire, good riddance etc etc. So the supporters ARE slagging him off because the CLUB apparently released him from his contract. Why is that his fault or am I being too unbiased here i.e. because he's left '' he is now shit '' .............you couldn't make this up.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on June 19, 2014, 01:50:04 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I tend to agree with Hoola here, for what it's worth.  I'll add that it is my belief that had Duffy been involved in the last six matches we would have avoided relegation.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:52:29 pm by Bentley Bullet »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on June 22, 2014, 07:15:11 pm by The Red Baron »
I spent today at Edgbaston watching the first day of Warwickshire v Yorkshire (Yorkshire well on top, BTW). Several Birmingham City fans of my acquaintance (I do still speak to them!) asked me my opinion of Duffy and I told them that he blows hot and cold. They reckoned he was therefore an ideal replacement for Chris Burke- who always seemed to blow hot against us!

Birmingham are in the throes of a takeover which may or may not go through (and if it doesn't, I believe their future looks bleak) but despite that they've signed seven players! Yet during our takeover, which always seemed likely to go through, all signings were put on hold! Funny old game...

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on June 22, 2014, 08:43:01 pm by Donnybax »

Strange this all you could hear in the stands and pubs was ''why didn't we play Duffy''  ? Now he's gone and seemingly had the temerity to have a go back at the supporters slagging him off he's now dire, good riddance etc etc. So the supporters ARE slagging him off because the CLUB apparently released him from his contract. Why is that his fault or am I being too unbiased here i.e. because he's left '' he is now shit '' .............you couldn't make this up.
well you never heard that from me. Never rated him and don't believe he is a championship standard player

Wade Falana

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on June 22, 2014, 09:47:11 pm by Wade Falana »
I'm with you Hoola and for me would of been one of the first names on the team sheet. Ok, he wasn't brilliant every game but neither was anyone. I'm not surprised he was pissed off, I know I was when he wasn't picked.

I wonder if Cotterill will suddenly get slagged off when he decides to go.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on June 22, 2014, 10:18:46 pm by hoolahoop »
I'm with you Hoola and for me would of been one of the first names on the team sheet. Ok, he wasn't brilliant every game but neither was anyone. I'm not surprised he was pissed off, I know I was when he wasn't picked.

I wonder if Cotterill will suddenly get slagged off when he decides to go.

Of course they will Terry and Dick have had that treatment for over 2 years despite pouring millions into the club.
Back to the point, any player that leaves or is asked to leave the club (irrespective of contribution) is regularly subject to such abuse from some quarters. It's wrong imo this player did have a contribution to make to DRFC.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on June 22, 2014, 10:57:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hoola

As I've said before, I've no problem with him leaving. His right. His choice.

I just get fed up of hearing footballers babbying about being unfairly treated. He was a very average player in a side that went down. At the end of the season, you would not have picked him in front of Coppinger or Cotterill. He had underwhelmed and under-achieved for months. If he considers being dropped in those circumstances to be unfair treatment, then f**k him and away to Birmingham with him. They are welcome to him.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on June 23, 2014, 12:12:44 am by not on facebook »

There's clearly been a spat between Dickov and Duffy; otherwise why would a player go to a bankrupt club in a division that is beyond their capability.

On the face of it, Duffy seems to be sticking two fingers up at Rovers. "I'm off to a bigger club" and all that. In reality, I think he's narked that he couldn't make it work last season. He had his moments but, by and large, I found many of his performances insipid and wanting. By the last 6-7 games I think Dickov had lost confidence.

So, while I think that Duffy under a more paternalistic manager with confidence restored could probably do a lot better in L1, a move was inevitable. Unfortunately, for him, I don't think Birmingham is the place to go. For us, however, it means that Dickov probably gets to recycle Duffy's not inconsiderable wages to better effect. I look forward to seeing who comes in to replace him.
maybe he went to bham because they put a bet offer on the table for him

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on June 23, 2014, 02:09:08 pm by BigH »

maybe he went to bham because they put a bet offer on the table for him
Oslo, it may well have been the case and was probably another contributory factor. I would guess that Rovers would have had a relegation clause in his contract allowing them a chance to impose reduced terms; the offset being that Duffy would then have a chance to go elsewhere (at no fee) or accept said terms.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:00:03 pm by BigH »

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on June 23, 2014, 07:19:18 pm by graingrover »
"a lot of fans" will only be what players read on this forum of course and it is the most negative place .. only boasts when we're winning. !

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on June 23, 2014, 07:37:30 pm by RedJ »
"a lot of fans" will only be what players read on this forum of course and it is the most negative place .. only boasts when we're winning. !

Not forgetting twitter.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on June 24, 2014, 12:46:53 am by hoolahoop »
Hoola

As I've said before, I've no problem with him leaving. His right. His choice.

I just get fed up of hearing footballers babbying about being unfairly treated. He was a very average player in a side that went down. At the end of the season, you would not have picked him in front of Coppinger or Cotterill. He had underwhelmed and under-achieved for months. If he considers being dropped in those circumstances to be unfair treatment, then f*** him and away to Birmingham with him. They are welcome to him.

He's not "nabbying" though is he Billy merely stating his disappointment at not getting picked......wouldn't we haven't wanted that from our players ?
As for being average in a relegated team, well he had little chance due to injury or not being selected to show a lot more now did he ! That much is bloody obvious , personally I don' t think he wanted to go but was given little choice as PD was concerned about his injuries and possibly commitment. Perhaps he was a 'moaner' and affected team morale who knows ; I would just like to have seen more of him. Opinions are like arseholes.....we all have them.
Anyway he's gone and any further debate about him is probably meaningless in the scheme of what DRFC have to face now eh ?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on June 24, 2014, 07:40:04 am by GazLaz »
Mark who?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012