Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 03:48:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: reading and similarities  (Read 5157 times)

Boomstick

• Forum Member
reading and similarities
« on December 16, 2014, 12:59:15 pm by Boomstick »
Reading are in a similar league position to us in their respective league (16th/17th)
Their target is similar to ours, promotion push at least reaching the play offs.

They are not achieving this, so the sacked a proven manager, why? They have ambition.

Our board won't even sack a manager that has achieved nothing. Why is this? Why are they not doing anything about it?
How far are we going to sink before they do something?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: reading and similarities
« Reply #1 on December 16, 2014, 01:07:54 pm by Copps is Magic »
Similarities and many differences. 3 years in the premiership will have brought in £100m+ in terms of revenue  and they haven't finished outside of the top 10 of the championship for 12 years. Their expectations relative to the money they are spending will be higher than ours. We should be more realistic.

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 16, 2014, 01:10:51 pm by podrover73 »
some similarities but ....
Adkins received the dreaded vote of confidence from the board earlier in December

Reading suffered a big loss 6-1 before he was pushed

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 16, 2014, 01:19:06 pm by Boomstick »
Similarities and many differences. 3 years in the premiership will have brought in £100m+ in terms of revenue  and they haven't finished outside of the top 10 of the championship for 12 years. Their expectations relative to the money they are spending will be higher than ours. We should be more realistic.
Not really, relatively speaking their resources against their promotion rivals, is similar to ours against our promotion rivals.
I dare say they are in a worse position with resources. Relatively speaking of course.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 16, 2014, 01:22:07 pm by Copps is Magic »
Not really, relatively speaking their resources against their promotion rivals, is similar to ours against our promotion rivals.
I dare say they are in a worse position with resources. Relatively speaking of course.

Sorry Boomer, I'm gunna have to ask. Where are you getting your information from - could you link me to the figures?

The current top 6 teams in the championship are Bournemouth, Boro, Derby, Ipswich, Brentford, Watford.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 16, 2014, 01:32:46 pm by Boomstick »
I'm talking about the other teams that have millions to spend.
Surely you can see my point? Please

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 16, 2014, 01:46:46 pm by Copps is Magic »
You're basically saying we're the league one equivalent of Reading? That we're a league one big spender/big team/high expectations kind of club?

I don't see it like that. We're a smaller fish relative to them. The gap between the premiership and championship is bigger than the gap to league one. That's why they introduced parachute payments. Being owned by a foreign billionaire wanting a trophy project can't be hurting their chances either.

Our expectations should be more realistic relative to Reading.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 16, 2014, 01:50:32 pm by acko »
bournemoth and brentford top six both finished below us 18months ago,must be good to have a board with vision and accept investment

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 16, 2014, 01:55:08 pm by Boomstick »
You're basically saying we're the league one equivalent of Reading? That we're a league one big spender/big team/high expectations kind of club?

I don't see it like that. We're a smaller fish relative to them. The gap between the premiership and championship is bigger than the gap to league one. That's why they introduced parachute payments. Being owned by a foreign billionaire wanting a trophy project can't be hurting their chances either.

Just take a moment, re read what I'm saying.
Yes we are small fry relative to reading and the championship.
But relative to other clubs in the division, we are one of the bigger clubs..

So we are in a similar position to reading, relatively speaking in our respective leagues

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 16, 2014, 01:56:06 pm by Copps is Magic »
bournemoth and brentford top six both finished below us 18months ago,must be good to have a board with vision and accept investment

Who was on our board when we we're 4th in the championship?

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 16, 2014, 01:59:22 pm by acko »
you mean john ryan,come back please and sort this mess out

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 16, 2014, 01:59:34 pm by Copps is Magic »

So we are in a similar position to reading, relatively speaking in our respective leagues

I fully grasp what you are saying but you've overestimated our station. It's unlikely we're one of the 6 biggest clubs in our league (both in terms of attendances, history and expenditure) and even questionable whether we're top 10.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 16, 2014, 02:01:56 pm by Copps is Magic »
you mean john ryan,come back please and sort this mess out

John Ryan was one, any others?

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 16, 2014, 02:34:35 pm by Boomstick »
The directors that are currently letting the club stagnate? And die? 

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 16, 2014, 02:38:06 pm by silent majority »

This club is dying?? A good job you weren't around any time between the 60's and the turn of the century then.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 16, 2014, 02:38:30 pm by Boomstick »

I fully grasp what you are saying but you've overestimated our station. It's unlikely we're one of the 6 biggest clubs in our league (both in terms of attendances, history and expenditure) and even questionable whether we're top 10.
History has nothing to do with it.
There are probably 6 clubs that have higher attendances, 4 of them only marginally higher.
So we deffo are one of the bigger ckubs in the league, like reading

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 16, 2014, 02:39:59 pm by Boomstick »

This club is dying?? A good job you weren't around any time between the 60's and the turn of the century then.

I was actually, perhaps die was the wrong word.
Perhaps wither is a better choice?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 16, 2014, 02:45:34 pm by Copps is Magic »
History has nothing to do with it.
There are probably 6 clubs that have higher attendances, 4 of them only marginally higher.
So we deffo are one of the bigger ckubs in the league, like reading

There are 9 clubs with higher attendances that us.

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-league-one-2014-2015/1/

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 16, 2014, 03:01:45 pm by Boomstick »
Doesn't change my point

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 16, 2014, 03:10:19 pm by Copps is Magic »
OK. So what you're saying is facts don't matter, history doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is your opinion of what matters.

Fair enough, I can't really argue with that. Seems that history doesn't matter, though, I take it you won't be making any further points about John Ryan? Like nostalgia for the good old days when John Ryan was apparently the only member of the board? Because that might contradict your point.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 16, 2014, 03:25:16 pm by Boomstick »
 :lol:
You have a warped view on things, not sure why. Maybe you have been brainwashed by the Terry Bramall fan club. Aka the vsc.
So ill end the argument here, because I'm sick of playing chess with pigeons for one day.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 16, 2014, 04:13:05 pm by Al4475 »
And you have been well and truly brainwashed by our ex-chairman - you need to take those jr tinted specs off and realise he wasn't solely responsible for our rise and fall from the championship! Yep he was a big player and on his day a big assett to the club! As are and have been the current board who are trying (admittedly not visible enough in the public eye) to clean up a mess that they are not solely responsible for either! Jr did wonders for the club without a doubt - but he wasn't alone for the last 8 years when we hit our highs! He chose to step down (as was his perogative) and is for the moment part of our clubs past! Somehow we need to move on and at the moment pd, tb, dw, db, aw and gb are the men trying to do so! This board didn't make him walk or kick him out he chose to do so! The others are charged with the rebuild - and they're on a hiding to nothing in many peoples' eyes regardless! Jr was a legend in his pomp! But his pomp was a fair few years ago now - it's time the club moved on!

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 16, 2014, 04:25:56 pm by acko »
i agree its time to move on so the sooner our so called owners stop this crap and get out and get someone in who cares for the rovers and doesnt rely on certain people to keep harping on about them funding the club. and if you talk about being brainwashed by our ex chairman should look whose doing the brain washing now

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 16, 2014, 04:39:29 pm by Al4475 »
I've never been and never will be brainwashed by anyrhing to do with drfc acko! I am open-minded and intelligent enough to make up my own mind and while I can see the perspective of those folk demanding change at board level and would love to see a multi billion pound rovers fan ride in on a white horse and be prepared to piss his fortune into the club - it ain't happening, I can't see any queueing up who can, in reality, afford to do it on anything other than fresh air and magic beans. So we make do with local millionnaires who want to leave a long term legacy in place for their home town as a whole! That doesn't sound too bad to be gair and has to be a better option than entrusting everything to bits of paper and press talk! We're in a crap situation by recent standards at the moment admittedly but it's about time drfc became more than a circus once again! Whether the current owners are the men to do that or new owners (who the current owners believe have the best interests, funds and long term vision) can do that remains to be seen!

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 16, 2014, 05:08:12 pm by Wild Rover »
The Americans are coming.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 16, 2014, 05:10:58 pm by Canadian Rover »
Let me ask Silent Majority for his personal opinion: Dickov in or out?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 16, 2014, 05:13:57 pm by silent majority »

Why ask me that question?

or to be more precise why is that relevant?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:23:59 pm by silent majority »

bfdoncaster west

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 16, 2014, 05:41:40 pm by bfdoncaster west »
who wood you get as manager martin

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 16, 2014, 06:03:50 pm by Canadian Rover »

Why ask me that question?

or to be more precise why is that relevant?

Without wanting to get in any of the usual bitching back and forth as per most of topics on the forum as of late I thought I'd ask you...as a fellow Rovers fan. Do you want Dickov as manager? On a regular basis you come on the forum and put in your own opinion (this is not a criticism) so I figure as someone who has regular contact with the club but is not an employee and a die hard fan....in or out?

And BF (I don't really have a clear answer) would have always loved Adkins and still would. I would also Nick Barmby or Brian Flynn/Rob Jones combo.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 16, 2014, 06:04:35 pm by Canadian Rover »
Sorry BF...my name is Martin too ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012