Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:27:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: PD still hunting for players  (Read 7221 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
PD still hunting for players
« on June 24, 2015, 11:10:29 am by steve@dcfd »
He is content with the goalkeeping options now and the strike force, may get another forward if within budget and available.

Still on the hunt for two fullbacks, centre half and centre midfield.

Hoping because of the two signings getting the calibre of players he wants will help.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster/doncaster-rovers-signings-show-we-re-serious-dickov-1-7324405

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: PD still hunting for players
« Reply #1 on June 24, 2015, 11:15:52 am by The Red Baron »
I'd broadly agree that those are areas where we need to strengthen. RE. CM, I think we are looking for a box to box midfielder with bags of energy. The fact we are looking at full backs suggests we will continue with a flat back four.

The only obvious addition would be a left sided attacking player.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 24, 2015, 01:36:50 pm by Alan Southstand »
I think we need at least 2 midfield players! Think about it, we've got rid of Bennet with no successor in the ranks (leaving our own young lads to one side for a minute), then there is the massive PD error of last season when we had no natural replacement for Keegan. We've also lost Furman and we have an ageing Wellens on the books. Surely, we're not suggesting that 1 new midfielder is going to cover all of the above issues?

A better Bennett replacement and an improvement on Furman would be the minimum requirement, then if we get injuries, we move quickly into the loan market and get someone in - or suffer the consequences.

Full backs are a necessity and if we're to play the PD pressing game again, again they need to better than what we've had previously.

The missing link in the CB area is a speed merchant, as we don't have that luxury in the squad as it stands.

Get all the above and I believe that will be a 'statement of intent'.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 24, 2015, 01:53:26 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We lacked goals and creativity in the center last year and unless Wellens becomes the one of two year ago then I can see it being the same again. I'm assuming Middleton will be given more or a chance next season aswell so we'll see what he can offer.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 24, 2015, 02:07:51 pm by GazLaz »
Middleton is nowhere near ready.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 24, 2015, 02:12:27 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
In terms of the priorities of key signings, there is no doubt that CM stands out way above all else in terms of where the money should go.

With the next on PDs list being 3 defenders, that suggests high confidence in the youth midfielders and equally, a lack of confidence in the youth defenders. Interesting.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 24, 2015, 02:21:09 pm by Retdon1 »
We have butler Mccullough and jones to cover centre half maybe also Wakefield, we need 2 full backs with evina and Lund in reserve then at least 2 centre midfielders and 1 winger. Then I would say 1 more striker/winger/attacking midfielder if we can get these to a simler standard of the 2 players we've signed so far then were in business. Once the season starts idd expect a loan signing or 2 to be added.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 24, 2015, 06:24:30 pm by godlike1 »
Middleton is nowhere near ready.

Bit harsh, you could give him a chance esp as the club are treating as 1st teamers this season

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 24, 2015, 07:03:54 pm by GazLaz »
I saw him play last season. It's just fact. He was immobile as well.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 24, 2015, 07:40:03 pm by DearneValleyRover »
The biggest thing we lack is pace, if we had that we would score more. We created last season but it was too slow in the build up. Pace down the flanks and a centre mid who can play a pass to them. Oh and licence to shoot from the 18 yard box

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 24, 2015, 08:30:20 pm by Alan Southstand »
Agree totally DVR. Too one dimensional. I sincerely hope PD has been to tactic night school during the summer, as it will not matter who we sign.

On another issue, we must be due some hectic use of the pen over the next few days, as I thought PD wanted majority in before we started back training? Am I getting in front of myself or wasn't that next Monday?

A player a day?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 24, 2015, 08:33:25 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I'll take 4-6 on Friday Alan

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 24, 2015, 09:06:18 pm by steve@dcfd »
But being pedantic if he signs the players who where out of contract he will say that's what he meant. Middleton, Lund, and Whitehouse on 2 year contracts and Adkins , Wakefield  with 6 month extensions then that's five players he can say he signed.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 24, 2015, 09:17:50 pm by bpoolrover »
Unless we spend a lot of money we won't get a better player than furman

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 24, 2015, 10:37:16 pm by Alan Southstand »
Steve, the trouble with that is that it was also stated at the end of last season that we needed players that were mentally strong and up for the challenge. By default, he can't have meant the youth team players who have been given a chance. So, no-one will buy that as an excuse. I think there's still a few surprises left to come or the players he wanted have either gone elsewhere or are hanging back for the best deal possible.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 24, 2015, 10:41:53 pm by Askern_reds »
But being pedantic if he signs the players who where out of contract he will say that's what he meant. Middleton, Lund, and Whitehouse on 2 year contracts and Adkins , Wakefield  with 6 month extensions then that's five players he can say he signed.
thought pd said he wanted a squad of 20 not includeing the youth, personally I think players and agents looking for best deal

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 25, 2015, 06:42:58 am by RedJ »

Don't be f**king ridiculous.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 25, 2015, 08:33:02 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Still lacking at least one full back, one midfielder who can get forward and a winger.  That's the bare minimum.  Ideally I'd say we need 2 central midfielders, two full backs and a wide player.  Not sure we need a centre half or striker now, but if one is available that fits....

The young players who get contracts have been here long enough that they must become part of the side, otherwise they are wasted contracts.  The young right back looked like he should be the second choice but pushing to become first choice over the course of a season, he's solid enough but has lots to improve on.  Up front we have Main, Tyson and Williams plus the two young lads.  Again given they have contracts these two need to prove they can do it.  Having impressed at U21 level they need to be playing here or on loan (and not at too low a level either).  If they do go the loan route then we should bring another striker in.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 25, 2015, 09:00:08 am by drfchound »
Things should start to happen after the end of June when many players contracts end.
there are loads of clubs out there who haven't completed many signings yet.
One of my customers is a Leeds fan and he is moaning that they have only signed two players so far, funnily enough, a keeper and a striker.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 25, 2015, 09:34:04 am by glosterred »
Would have thought the hunt for players never stopped.

COYR

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 25, 2015, 10:03:51 am by drfchound »
Quite right Gloster, i meant that the signings should start after the end of June.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 25, 2015, 10:35:57 am by steve@dcfd »
Not being ridiculous these  are the players we have or should sign before preseason.

Stuckman
Marosi

Lund
Evina
McCullough
Butler
Jones
Wakefield
Askins
McKay P

Wellens
Keegan
Middleton

Coppinger
Forrester
Whitehouse

Williams
Tyson
Main
Mandeville
McKay

So if we are going for a more positive season and aiming for the top 4/6, which will mean wining a lot more games at home for at start we need what PD as said minimum.
2 fullbacks, central midfield player, I would say players, centre half.
I would also say an attacking midfielder who can play left and right.

Forgot about Paul with his ability on the ball he could be developed into a defensive midfield player and central defender.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:46:20 am by steve@dcfd »

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 25, 2015, 10:37:50 am by bedale rover »
Not being ridiculous these  are the players we have or should sign before preseason.

Stuckman
Marosi

Lund
Evina
McCullough
Butler
Jones
Wakefield
Askins

Wellens
Keegan
Middleton

Coppinger
Forrester
Whitehouse

Williams
Tyson
Main
Mandeville
McKay

So if we are going for a more positive season and aiming for the top 4/6, which will mean wining a lot more games at home for at start we need what PD as said minimum.
2 fullbacks, central midfield player, I would say players, centre half.
I would also say an attacking midfielder who can play left and right.

What about t'other McKay?  Didn't he sign an extension?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 25, 2015, 11:34:33 am by the vicar »

Don't be f***ing ridiculous.
no he cant as he says he wants 9 new senior players in

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 25, 2015, 09:39:45 pm by steve@dcfd »

Don't be f***ing ridiculous.
no he cant as he says he wants 9 new senior players in

Let's see if PD and CEO will get the five to seven more senior players we need for our exciting season. For two seasons we could not get them before preseason training started because of the takeover turmoil it was said. So let's see when the senior two pull their fingers out and get the remaining players we will need if we are going to be a serious challenger this season.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 25, 2015, 09:55:37 pm by Danmckay456 »
4/5 in before the first pre season - a couple of trialists will probably be taken on if previous season have anything to go by then probs the loan market will give us a platform for a positive season :-)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 25, 2015, 11:08:19 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
The original post reminds me of the A-Ha song ''Hunting High and low''!
We need 2 full backs, or one who can play left and right back, a centre half better than we have a Khumalo type
A defensive midfielder to provide competition or alternative to Keegan, wide left winger, an attacking central midfielder.
Target man type of striker for a different option to what we have currently and keeper.

Yes you can try and do without these positions being strengthened, just like we did this past season in some positions, but if we are to have a chance of doing well, we need extra quality, determination and in some cases players who you know exactly what you will get from them.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 26, 2015, 06:52:17 am by DearneValleyRover »
We need a minimum of 5 for me, a centre half, 2 wide men with pace, a centre mid and a different type of striker to what we already have. Loans can plug any gaps that are left.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 26, 2015, 07:32:18 am by GazLaz »
I hope we sign Steve Davies. Him and Williams would be brilliant.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 26, 2015, 07:40:22 am by Nudga »
We have missed a double act up front for some years now.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012