Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:56:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: SOD  (Read 20725 times)

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
Re: SOD
« Reply #30 on September 30, 2015, 06:14:58 pm by Yorkiered »
Huge fan of his. As far as I'm concerned we should never have got rid of him in the first place. I felt we'd have had a fighting chance of turning it round and staying up if he'd remained in charge, especially once Ryan Mason and Billy Sharp came back from injury. But he never got that chance, as it was we changed tact completely and sunk without a trace that year.

All that said, as a fan I couldn't be bothered with the hysteria amongst the fan base if he came back (which he won't anyway). Too many people either never wanted him in the first place, or wanted him out every time we had a bad run. His passion was demonstrated by hard work, dedication, research and preparation whereas there has always appeared to be a consensus that we'd benefit from having someone bouncing around like a lunatic on the touch line so we can see that they 'care.' Too many couldn't warm to his understated personality despite his success, and for that reason I fear that if he was to come back (which he won't) it'd rake up all of the in-fighting and points-scoring amongst the fans. We need to unite behind the new manager and too many people couldn't bring themselves to do that if we brought back an old one. Shame, though.

That's bang on to be honest. SOD kept a small team in the championship longer than what Rotherham have achieved to date, and we did it with far greater style. Some, however, would still prefer Evans over SOD because he's done exactly the same thing only more recently!

It seems to me to be part of a wider infliction among our fans. It's the constant re-writing of history that goes on. SOD, Sharp, Copps, Jones have all received their fair share of this in recent times. Despite giving their all for the club and being a major part of our success they will forever be overrated (and downright shite) according to a section of our fan base. It comes from a ongoing inability to judge our success relative to the size of the club we are. And it leads to the conclusion that some of us must have imagined the recent success we had. There are no more heroes in modern football just fleeting episodes of packaged drama - there has to be an ongoing controversy so fans can have their entitled opinion in the 'debate'.

The board will be swimming against it whoever they appoint. I hope they realise that by now and are prepared for it.

At times you don't half spout some rubbish. SOD, Sharp, Copps and Jones have all in their time been great for the club. I am sure everybody accepts that.
It doesn't last forever though and towards the end of their time things start to go downhill.
That is why the likes of Copps are getting criticism now. The Copps we have now is nothing like the Copps of a few seasons ago.
Nobody is above criticism even though they may have been idols to some.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 30, 2015, 06:34:59 pm by Copps is Magic »
Yorkie, you seem to be following me around the forum. If you're sexually attracted to me in some way that is fine but the feeling isn't mutual.

You've missed the point that was being made about the revisionist history and never fully pleasing the fans relative to an expectation that is constantly shifting. I really do think you should let my username go and actually read the content of my posts for a change. You're going to have to give me a bit more credit than thinking that I thought Copps was someone ageless and wouldn't decline.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 30, 2015, 07:32:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think SO'D is sometimes misunderstood about 'youth'. He did say we didn't have the resources and time to set up an academy and, he questioned whether it would deliver for the amount of money put in.

He was keen on Youth and strengthening links with local leagues. I'm sure he would be pleased with the development that's happened on that front since he left. (Still not perfect by any means).

I think Sean realised there was little substance behind the scenes with all (dwindling) resources being pumped to the first team squad. Again, I'm sure he'd approve of the development of Club Doncaster.

That all said, they say never go back. I'm sure there are plenty of us, who are thankful of what he achieved and admire his philosophy, who would be apprehensive should it be on the cards.

john_donc857

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 30, 2015, 07:35:48 pm by john_donc857 »
Am I missing something here! Sent packing by forest and Crawley and wasn't there a disastrous spell at Bristol city somewhere in between that lot. He's found is ideal job sat in the dugout at anfield with his clipboard and I'll give that until Christmas before it ends in tears. He's Yesterdays man, let's move forward and bring someone in that's going to excite the home fans and more importantly put bums on seats

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 30, 2015, 07:49:03 pm by Copps is Magic »
'Sent packing by Crawley' - he left for forest before the season even started.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 30, 2015, 07:51:16 pm by DonnyNoel »
And by all accounts was harshly done to at Forest.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 30, 2015, 07:55:45 pm by Copps is Magic »
And then somehow landed a job coaching England U19 and then assistant manager at one of the most famoust clubs in the world. But still, if he carries a clipboard he can't be trusted.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 30, 2015, 08:02:26 pm by Silkscarf »
I'd have him back like a shot. With a long term plan for the club's development around a playing style similar to what we saw last time. I never thought we would ever get back to the second tier, the '50s was always destined to be our finest period it seemed, so it was amazing to see us there and still trying to play good football for the most part.

I can't believe that a pile of poo like Steve Evans is being mentioned as a possible manager of our wonderful club. He's not fit to clean the toilets.

If King Kev doesn't fancy it then come on down Sean and finish the job you started.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 30, 2015, 08:09:23 pm by mpc123 »
Personally I can't see this happening.

1. The amount of money he must be on at Liverpool I would doubt we could ever match it.
2. He must be in his element now in that position, to come here and coach the players we have compared to Liverpool.

For me no chance

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 30, 2015, 08:28:38 pm by keith79 »
Should sing his name Saturday

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 30, 2015, 08:38:50 pm by Donnybax »
Yes please

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 30, 2015, 08:44:46 pm by RedJ »

Aye let's not eh

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 30, 2015, 08:49:59 pm by DRFCSouth »
Some would rather sing Dickovs which is an insult to one of our best managers of any period.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 30, 2015, 08:52:37 pm by dickos1 »
Why would anybody sing songs about any ex manager sing songs about rob jones

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 30, 2015, 09:17:15 pm by RedJ »
Some would rather sing Dickovs which is an insult to one of our best managers of any period.

I would've rather sang Dickov's name when he was here.

Because he was our manager at the time. O'Driscoll isn't, and likely never will be again, therefore I couldn't give a f**k.

And no, that's not being ungrateful. It's accepting he's gone, which some people are still struggling to do.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on September 30, 2015, 09:22:39 pm by DRFCSouth »
I wouldn't have sung for either, although Dickov, most certainly not. Wrong appointment from the get go. Be nice if SOD and JR got the credit deserved.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 30, 2015, 09:27:42 pm by BobG »
For appointing Dickov? Que?

BobG

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on September 30, 2015, 09:28:35 pm by DRFCSouth »
Joint appointment

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 30, 2015, 09:45:01 pm by German Rover »
I'm sure I read somewhere he was there to watch Liverpool players who are at Swindon on loan. Sean did great things here but like JR, he's the past. look to the future it could be amazing

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 30, 2015, 09:47:13 pm by RedArmy »
I'm sure I read somewhere he was there to watch Liverpool players who are at Swindon on loan. Sean did great things here but like JR, he's the past. look to the future it could be amazing

But it wont be.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 30, 2015, 10:06:18 pm by the vicar »
SOD shit all good for a quick fix and we need a quick fix or we will go down

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 30, 2015, 11:17:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Ok, are you saying you'd prefer a quick fix, in the form of someone like Holloway, over a more long term solution, like a Redfearn and/or Snodin??

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on October 01, 2015, 12:24:38 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Sean massively overachieved with a very small club, what happened has happened at many clubs, the fans start expecting to be where they are, instead of realising what an achievement he produced.
He set standards that unfortunately he couldn't maintain, not many would have been able to, all i would say to the board if you want to get anywhere near filling the stadium again, appoint Sean.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on October 01, 2015, 12:38:16 am by River Don »
I would appoint SoD as technical director.

I would give him the rule over the playing side, he would appoint coaches, scouts and the manager.

Just my opinion.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on October 01, 2015, 06:50:43 am by Al4475 »
It's a surprisingly sensible opinion for a post at gone half twelve RD!
What a great idea that could be one day!
Not surer it'd happen just yet but I like the sound of it a lot!

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 01, 2015, 07:43:44 am by Metalmicky »

What a baffling thought........?

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on October 01, 2015, 07:51:29 am by Yorkiered »
If some of you lot want SOD back why don't we get Duggie back as striker and Snod in midfield.
I think there should be a good supply of blinkers bought for our fans so they can look forward and not backwards.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on October 01, 2015, 11:07:39 pm by BobG »
They're too old Yorkie. SOD isn't too old.

BobG

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on October 02, 2015, 05:57:44 am by NickDRFC »
It's a bit different clamouring for the return of a former manager and the return of former players. Particularly players who are long since retired.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on October 02, 2015, 06:41:19 am by keith79 »
Idiot

TinyPortal © 2005-2012