Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:38:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: SOD  (Read 20724 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
SOD
« on September 30, 2015, 03:18:53 pm by Copps is Magic »
I've been told he was in the directors box/area for last night's game. Anyone heard similar?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rdunphy2

Re: SOD
« Reply #1 on September 30, 2015, 03:21:03 pm by rdunphy2 »
Been told exactly the same this morning  :thumbsup:

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 30, 2015, 03:28:40 pm by Dare to dream! »
I'd be lying if the thought of SOD coming back didn't get me excited.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 30, 2015, 03:29:01 pm by eastender »
I can't be certain , but i never noticed him sat with Baldwin ,Blunt and the 2 Watsons.  :unsure:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 30, 2015, 03:30:08 pm by roversdude »
Probably came to pay off loan keepers fine and take the pennies back

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 30, 2015, 03:30:44 pm by dickos1 »
Greatest manager we've ever had but do you think he'd keep us up? It took him months and months to get us how he wanted and the players we have now and really his type of player, especially defensively

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 30, 2015, 03:36:01 pm by Copps is Magic »
Maybe he's developed and adapted as a manager. He brought in the likes of Mills and Shackell so has an eye for a good defender. We could do with someone similar now tbh.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 30, 2015, 03:42:40 pm by The Red Baron »
I think he would keep us up. He might be the one man who could get a tune out of Wellens. I think he might want to ship quite a lot out.

However, I wouldn't want him to come back and tarnish what he achieved before.

Also, I think to an extent the specification for the manager has changed slightly. You're now looking at someone who can arrest an immediate decline and then build something for the future. That is quite a long term project, more so than just addressing underachievement.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 30, 2015, 03:44:28 pm by Yorkiered »
I thought one of the attributes the board was looking for was a pleasing personality (or similar)??
That immediately rules SOD out.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 30, 2015, 03:44:49 pm by DonnyNoel »
I think its got harder and harder to play his way in the lower divisions and the quality required to do it getting scarcer and scarcer. Unless he's seriously adapted his game, which I doubt he will have, then it may spoil what was something great.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 30, 2015, 04:18:04 pm by Copps is Magic »
There's also a chance that SOD has been asked for his advice on the new manager or may have been there because of something to do with a Liverpool player possibly coming on loan. Interesting either way.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 30, 2015, 04:28:08 pm by TheFunk »
The fact that SOD thought our youth system was a waste of money would probably rule him out.

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 30, 2015, 04:32:17 pm by jmt »
I seem to remember Sean had a plan for sustainability, and publicly said the way we were going about things couldn't last, and asked would it be so bad to yo yo for a couple of seasons, whilst all the time growing...a bit like west brom have done. We went for shit or bust, and it's gone sour.His view then, seems to tie in very closely to how the current board want to run the club.
Could he come back, and turn this around? I'm not sure we have the players.
Would I like him too? I've never been so proud of my club watching his side, so yes, but can understand the no camp.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 30, 2015, 04:32:32 pm by glosterred »
The fact that SOD thought our youth system was a waste of money would probably rule him out.

Not only the youth system, didn't have much call for a reserve side as well, preferred to play his reserve games behind closed doors and therefore uncompetitive.

COYR

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 30, 2015, 04:34:42 pm by mugnapper »
I'd have thought he'd be on CONSIDERABLY more money than we could ever offer him.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 30, 2015, 04:43:30 pm by Sprotyrover »
I'd have thought he'd be on CONSIDERABLY more money than we could ever offer him.

Some people are not motivated by Money, SOD is probably one of them,clearly the Present directors still like the man and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in charge in the next few days😜

john_donc857

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 30, 2015, 04:43:59 pm by john_donc857 »
No thanks! His personality bores me to death. Steve Evans please 

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 30, 2015, 04:47:32 pm by jmt »
Regarding the youth set up, I got the impression the want from above was to get to the promised land and then sort the rest out, and always felt Sean was frustrated on this point. Hence Sean publicly saying how he felt a club should be run, around the same time he was sacked! I guess the want/need from above was greater!
(We were also poo at the time)
The money could be an issue, I suppose it depends if he wants to be a manager again.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 30, 2015, 04:53:13 pm by DRNaith »
A few times under SO'D we had passages of time where we were stale and predictably beatable.

At least last night, for a few minutes, it felt like we might win!

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 30, 2015, 04:57:59 pm by Rovers91 »
SOD was great but at the end he ran out of ideas and that run we went on was shocking, time moves on and I wouldn't want him back.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 30, 2015, 04:59:21 pm by Jonathan »
Huge fan of his. As far as I'm concerned we should never have got rid of him in the first place. I felt we'd have had a fighting chance of turning it round and staying up if he'd remained in charge, especially once Ryan Mason and Billy Sharp came back from injury. But he never got that chance, as it was we changed tact completely and sunk without a trace that year.

All that said, as a fan I couldn't be bothered with the hysteria amongst the fan base if he came back (which he won't anyway). Too many people either never wanted him in the first place, or wanted him out every time we had a bad run. His passion was demonstrated by hard work, dedication, research and preparation whereas there has always appeared to be a consensus that we'd benefit from having someone bouncing around like a lunatic on the touch line so we can see that they 'care.' Too many couldn't warm to his understated personality despite his success, and for that reason I fear that if he was to come back (which he won't) it'd rake up all of the in-fighting and points-scoring amongst the fans. We need to unite behind the new manager and too many people couldn't bring themselves to do that if we brought back an old one. Shame, though.

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 30, 2015, 05:00:26 pm by jmt »
Or the club ran out of money! And tried a shit or bust(experiment)

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 30, 2015, 05:07:28 pm by LincsRover »

You are Jeremy beadle and I claim my £5!

:police:

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 30, 2015, 05:17:53 pm by grayx »
A few times under SO'D we had passages of time where we were stale and predictably beatable.

At least last night, for a few minutes, it felt like we might win!

I agree.. It got to the point that as soon as we conceded first you may as well have gone home.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 30, 2015, 05:37:29 pm by Copps is Magic »
Huge fan of his. As far as I'm concerned we should never have got rid of him in the first place. I felt we'd have had a fighting chance of turning it round and staying up if he'd remained in charge, especially once Ryan Mason and Billy Sharp came back from injury. But he never got that chance, as it was we changed tact completely and sunk without a trace that year.

All that said, as a fan I couldn't be bothered with the hysteria amongst the fan base if he came back (which he won't anyway). Too many people either never wanted him in the first place, or wanted him out every time we had a bad run. His passion was demonstrated by hard work, dedication, research and preparation whereas there has always appeared to be a consensus that we'd benefit from having someone bouncing around like a lunatic on the touch line so we can see that they 'care.' Too many couldn't warm to his understated personality despite his success, and for that reason I fear that if he was to come back (which he won't) it'd rake up all of the in-fighting and points-scoring amongst the fans. We need to unite behind the new manager and too many people couldn't bring themselves to do that if we brought back an old one. Shame, though.

That's bang on to be honest. SOD kept a small team in the championship longer than what Rotherham have achieved to date, and we did it with far greater style. Some, however, would still prefer Evans over SOD because he's done exactly the same thing only more recently!

It seems to me to be part of a wider infliction among our fans. It's the constant re-writing of history that goes on. SOD, Sharp, Copps, Jones have all received their fair share of this in recent times. Despite giving their all for the club and being a major part of our success they will forever be overrated (and downright shite) according to a section of our fan base. It comes from a ongoing inability to judge our success relative to the size of the club we are. And it leads to the conclusion that some of us must have imagined the recent success we had. There are no more heroes in modern football just fleeting episodes of packaged drama - there has to be an ongoing controversy so fans can have their entitled opinion in the 'debate'.

The board will be swimming against it whoever they appoint. I hope they realise that by now and are prepared for it.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 30, 2015, 05:40:47 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Yep, that's what I hope our board have up there as their number 1 priority:-

Must have personality. Bugger tactical nous, spotting talented players, bringing youth players through, motivation, vision, determination. Wait on donc857, I think I've got the perfect candidate for you.......Peter Kay!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:43:22 pm by Colin C No.3 »

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 30, 2015, 05:54:49 pm by i_ateallthepies »
The only people who could be bored with SO'D's personality are those too lazy to listen to what he was saying.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 30, 2015, 05:55:45 pm by The Red Baron »
He may have been there to sort out the problem with the Swindon keeper who paid his fine in small change. If so, he was successful because the lad has been taken back.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 30, 2015, 06:05:28 pm by keith79 »
This would give the club a lift that it needs

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 30, 2015, 06:13:25 pm by RedJ »
f**king hell here we go.

I'll support him if IF he returns but f**king hell, the way some people are foaming at the mouth over this is sad.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012