Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 10:56:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: SOD  (Read 21673 times)

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
Re: SOD
« Reply #30 on December 15, 2015, 05:42:24 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
It's strange that showing admiration towards someone angers people so much. I really enjoyed watching us for the majority of SOD's reign, and so i respect him for that, even now. Why that bothers people is beyond me.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 15, 2015, 05:42:40 pm by jonnydog »
Walsall will probably dominate possession for 89mins & we will score from a set piece to win 1-0. Easy

After which he'll take a striker off and put a defender on, to consolidate the 1-0 score line!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 15, 2015, 05:45:25 pm by roversdude »
Up until kick off yeah but after that he is the opposition

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 15, 2015, 06:04:19 pm by RedJ »
It's strange that showing admiration towards someone angers people so much. I really enjoyed watching us for the majority of SOD's reign, and so i respect him for that, even now. Why that bothers people is beyond me.

Because some people can't seem to accept that he's long gone and he's never coming back.

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on December 15, 2015, 06:13:08 pm by podrover73 »
Its all opinions of course but some people can't see that the period that SOD was in charge we played some of the best football and had some of the best players at the peak of their form when he was here.

Also when Penney was here winning the div 3 title and Conference play off was brilliant.

All those who have endured what we did with Dickov would have been wanting those times back again under either of the managers.

Most people would not applaud a manager such as Dickov but a manager as good as Dave or SOD will always receive a round of applause from me.

I have no doubt I will afford the same applause to Fergie when he provides the silverware or promotions these two guys did.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: 

Derby Viking

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 15, 2015, 06:18:11 pm by Derby Viking »
We played great football for a while under SOD but eventually opposition managers sussed his tactics and picked systems to stifle us and SOD never had a plan B.
Yes he gave us some excellent football at times but ended with 1 win in 27 games

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 15, 2015, 06:20:29 pm by CrippyCooke »

Because some people can't seem to accept that he's long gone and he's never coming back.

You say that but nobody in this thread is saying anything about him coming back. Lazy.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 15, 2015, 06:25:42 pm by Copps is Magic »
SOD is GOD. Some people need to accept that and move on.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 15, 2015, 06:28:48 pm by the vicar »
he is a good manager but it takes his team a season to get used to his system

DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on December 15, 2015, 06:29:04 pm by DRFC »
He deserves on ovation here.

He's had enough, he's the past

Has he? When? Hasn't been back the keepmoat as a manager has he?

Yes, Copps testimonial

I'm sure both fans in attendance made it a great occasion for him.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on December 15, 2015, 06:29:26 pm by wilts rover »
How anyone who was at the Millennium Stadium or Wembley wouldn't clap Sean on his return to Rovers as an opposing manager is beyond me - just as Paul Green was clapped when he came back with Derby.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on December 15, 2015, 06:33:24 pm by i_ateallthepies »

If that is the reason it bothers you then let me put your mind at ease... I doubt anyone believes that SO'D will ever come back, or even wish that he would.  All that is happening here is that people who appreciated what he gave us, saying that they'd be happy to let him know.

Seadog Minibus

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on December 15, 2015, 07:08:59 pm by Seadog Minibus »
He'll always be in my good books. A true legend of DRFC.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on December 15, 2015, 07:43:59 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm not here to cry worship to Sean O'Driscoll but to call him "just another League One manager" is ridiculous in my opinion. He is a legendary name in this club's history and guided us to much success. We have never played better football than under him either. If he becomes the new Walsall boss then good luck to him, I hope he does well there (just not at our expense) and I would certainly give him a good ovation on his return to the Keepmoat. Of course after that I will hope for us to soundly beat his team and take the three points.

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 15, 2015, 07:50:32 pm by jmt »
I loved his style of play, at its peak it's the best football I've seen. I want us to absolutely stuff his team though!
This anti Sean stuff is weird, there's really no need. I have a good feeling about Mr Ferguson, I have a feeling he could produce a team that could replicate the stay in the championship.
 :rtid:

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on December 15, 2015, 08:01:18 pm by Yorkiered »
There has been no anti Sean stuff.
What gets to some people (me included) is the almost cult adulation of a former manager.
Sir Sean being a classic example.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on December 15, 2015, 08:05:54 pm by andyst79 »
I reckon df could surpass SOD given half a chance! SOD was great when he got things ticking over how he wanted! Sneaky feeling df will be the same!

I too have been impressed with Fergy my only doubt at the moment is if he is successful how long before he is off to pastures new?
Think DF will be here for a very long time, the one thing that struck me when he was interviewed when he first arrived was when he said " everyone in football know's what a well run club Doncaster Rovers is" He got his fingers burnt a little at Preston perhaps they didn't give him the time and without being disrespectful to Peterborough I think we're a bigger more stable club so I think it will be a perfect match for the foreseeable future.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on December 15, 2015, 08:38:59 pm by Alickismyhero »
I reckon df could surpass SOD given half a chance! SOD was great when he got things ticking over how he wanted! Sneaky feeling df will be the same!

I too have been impressed with Fergy my only doubt at the moment is if he is successful how long before he is off to pastures new?
Think DF will be here for a very long time, the one thing that struck me when he was interviewed when he first arrived was when he said " everyone in football know's what a well run club Doncaster Rovers is" He got his fingers burnt a little at Preston perhaps they didn't give him the time and without being disrespectful to Peterborough I think we're a bigger more stable club so I think it will be a perfect match for the foreseeable future.

Andy the reason I have my doubts about Fergy staying, if he is successful, ie promotion, like his dad he is a strong personality and I would guess he would demand the financial support from the board to stay up or even progress, remember he is on a one year contract.

On the board we have Mr Bramall also a very strong individual and if the two disagree that's were I see there could be trouble. Now it would be a different story if these two strong characters agree who knows where it would end.

My hope is that Fergy gets us back in the Championship because its a fantastic league I really enjoyed the first time around.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on December 15, 2015, 11:00:36 pm by idler »
He's the best manager so far that I have seen at the Rovers in my time since 1958.
I will applaud him out of respect not cult admiration.
 He did a lot for the club and me as a supporter in help make my club respected and newsworthy.
I applaud ex players that served us well but once the whistle goes I want us to win.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on December 16, 2015, 02:39:00 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Respect seems in short supply in all walks of life. It's just some people once they are gone the allegiance ends for them. It's not just our club, it's the in thing to boo an ex player.
It sounds like our fans are either indifferent or want to show respect, i am sure he will get a smattering of applause. He did well for us, he took us onto the next level, that Penney couldn't seem to do.

I enjoyed both managers time here. Penneys period was a high energy all action game at times, but had it's limitations, but hard to stop on it's day.
O'Driscoll managed to put together a team, that didn't allow the opposition much of the ball. On it's day fantastic, off days were possession with no purpose, but again gave us great days.
Personally if got the Walsall job, then they would become a bigger threat to maintain their progress.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on December 16, 2015, 06:42:40 am by roversdude »
What wound me up was Mickey Walker gate crashing Penneys half time appearance t'other week - legend my a*se

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on December 16, 2015, 08:48:34 am by Alan Southstand »
One of the best managers we've had and deserves respect, from all quarters, for what he did with us and Richard O'Kelly deserves a special mention as well. The ideal double act.

I will never, ever forget that Wembley play-off final and the fantastic Hayter header. The pinnacle of my 50 odd years supporting DRFC.........so far???

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on December 16, 2015, 08:54:57 am by Filo »
He deserves on ovation here.

He's had enough, he's the past

Has he? When? Hasn't been back the keepmoat as a manager has he?

Yes, Copps testimonial

I'm sure both fans in attendance made it a great occasion for him.

Never said anything about the reception he got, just answering the question posed

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on December 16, 2015, 09:10:38 am by The Red Baron »
Walsall were keen to point out it isn't a done deal, although as they had a match last night they were probably keen to avoid distractions.

If SO'D does come back I will give him the applause and respect he deserves after what he achieved with us. I am surprised that any fan would feel any differently.

I'll still want him to go home empty-handed though.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on December 16, 2015, 09:17:02 am by The Red Baron »
PS. Despite the weight of money on SO'D it's far from clear that Walsall are even close to an appointment.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/walsall-fc/2015/12/15/candidates-in-the-dark-over-walsall-job/

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on December 16, 2015, 09:25:46 am by drfchound »
What wound me up was Mickey Walker gate crashing Penneys half time appearance t'other week - legend my a*se

You may be forgetting that he was invited by the club, not gate crashing.
I noticed that you didnt mention John Fairhurst.

PopStander

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on December 16, 2015, 09:45:38 am by PopStander »
SOD made the best Rovers team there has ever been, meaning he is the best manager we've ever had!

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on December 16, 2015, 10:18:21 am by andyst79 »

Andy the reason I have my doubts about Fergy staying, if he is successful, ie promotion, like his dad he is a strong personality and I would guess he would demand the financial support from the board to stay up or even progress, remember he is on a one year contract.

On the board we have Mr Bramall also a very strong individual and if the two disagree that's were I see there could be trouble. Now it would be a different story if these two strong characters agree who knows where it would end.

My hope is that Fergy gets us back in the Championship because its a fantastic league I really enjoyed the first time around.
Some Valid points only time will tell!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on December 16, 2015, 10:53:28 am by graingrover »
Between DF and TB we have an good communicator and broker .. GB . I feel sure Gavin will get from the Board all the support that Darren F requests.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on December 16, 2015, 01:32:59 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I think SOD was a class act but like nearly every manager, that didn't last, and that doesn't take away from the good times. He undoubtedly deserves a warm welcome.

As was mentioned, in recent times Penney was impressive, and I think Fergy will be too.

But to say that only Doherty stands out from the past is blindly editing out our history.

Dick Ray brought in some impressive players (including the legendary Keetleys) and steered us well.

David Menzies
who followed him built a cracking squad and took us to the 2nd tier.

Fred Emery and Jackie Bestall (our record of most games won in a season) in his first period, were both impressive too.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012