Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 11:08:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Greeny signs for Oldham  (Read 7628 times)

ROVERSBELLY

• Forum Member
Greeny signs for Oldham
« on July 28, 2016, 01:53:25 pm by ROVERSBELLY »
Paul Green signs for Oldham !

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: Greeny signs for Oldham
« Reply #1 on July 28, 2016, 02:02:04 pm by Jonathan »
One year deal. Disappointing that, for whatever reason, we haven't got him.

At least we got him fit for them...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 28, 2016, 02:22:34 pm by Filo »
I just don't see the logic in involving him in a pre season game

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 28, 2016, 02:22:50 pm by rtid88 »
Don't understand why we have not made every attempt possible to sign Greeny. I can't believe that Oldham have been able to offer him much more or any more than what we could. Yet again leads me to believe that Fergie simply doesn't know what he is doing!! (Await abuse from Fergie Lovers!!)   :aok:

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 28, 2016, 02:24:20 pm by vaya »
They can offer him League One football, we can't.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 28, 2016, 02:30:45 pm by Bezza »
Probably Fergie could have got him, but is looking to build a younger team lets see who comes in .

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 28, 2016, 02:34:00 pm by TheFunk »
Probably Fergie didn't fancy having another club legend on the books.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 28, 2016, 02:35:23 pm by newyankee »
It looks to me that Greeny preferred working with O' Driscoll.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 28, 2016, 02:39:41 pm by GazLaz »
irrelevant if you are in L1 or L2 really.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 28, 2016, 02:59:50 pm by IDM »
Don't understand why we have not made every attempt possible to sign Greeny. I can't believe that Oldham have been able to offer him much more or any more than what we could. Yet again leads me to believe that Fergie simply doesn't know what he is doing!! (Await abuse from Fergie Lovers!!)   :aok:

Here we go, we have the same line every close season when we don't sign a player.

First of all, how would the fans know whether or not we had made every attempt to sign him?  Perhaps we did?

Perhaps for whatever reason Fergie didn't want him, or maybe Greeny wants to play at a higher level.  Maybe Oldham can offer higher terms, or a better deal via his agent.

The point is we don't know, we can only speculate. But for you to imply we didn't try hard enough - how the hell do you know??

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 28, 2016, 03:06:33 pm by PDX_Rover »
It's a shame but we move on.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 28, 2016, 03:15:17 pm by rtid88 »

Here we go, we have the same line every close season when we don't sign a player.

First of all, how would the fans know whether or not we had made every attempt to sign him?  Perhaps we did?

Perhaps for whatever reason Fergie didn't want him, or maybe Greeny wants to play at a higher level.  Maybe Oldham can offer higher terms, or a better deal via his agent.

The point is we don't know, we can only speculate. But for you to imply we didn't try hard enough - how the hell do you know??

Pretty sure this is a football forum to express opinions on, this was my opinion.... Clearly if I have got this wrong and I am simply supposed to just go along with the concensus then please let me know!!

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 28, 2016, 03:16:09 pm by bobjimwilly »
maybe Oldham could offer him a better deal?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 28, 2016, 03:16:57 pm by steve@dcfd »
we haven't signs Greeny because the manager did not want more older players in our squad. It's a shame but it's the managers choice.
We can't look at it short term really when everybody's fit? Then the players DF deems to be the defensive midfielders would have to be left out for Paul.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 28, 2016, 03:21:09 pm by Alan Southstand »
It still doesn't explain why we signed an injured McSheffrey!

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 28, 2016, 03:23:59 pm by nortikorner »

Luke McCullough must be better than Paul Green  i dont think

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 28, 2016, 03:25:54 pm by drfchound »
McSheffrey?
Will he always be injured?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 28, 2016, 03:34:24 pm by steve@dcfd »

Luke McCullough must be better than Paul Green  i dont think
I'm not sticking up for the decision I would have signed after Rossington game for two years but It is the managers choice

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 28, 2016, 03:46:51 pm by Danmckay456 »
If it means we get a centre back and Striker on 6 month loans , and Blair Yule who has potential then it's a 👍👍👍 up from me 🔴⚪️🔴⚪️

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 28, 2016, 04:08:03 pm by IDM »

Pretty sure this is a football forum to express opinions on, this was my opinion.... Clearly if I have got this wrong and I am simply supposed to just go along with the concensus then please let me know!!

Opinions, IMHO all are welcome...

but "Don't understand why we have not made every attempt possible to sign Greeny." reads like a statement of fact, or at least an allegation, not an opinion.

If you prefix this "I wonder if... we have not made every possible attempt.." then that would read as an opinion rather than a statement.

Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, and it's nowt personal to you.  But every close season we have posters berating the club for not signing so and so player when we don't actually know what has gone on behind the scenes.

And FWIW I would have preferred us to sign Greeny too.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 28, 2016, 04:15:46 pm by andyst79 »
Can't sign a player on the back of a good game against Rosso

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 28, 2016, 04:24:05 pm by RedJ »

Opinions, IMHO all are welcome...

but "Don't understand why we have not made every attempt possible to sign Greeny." reads like a statement of fact, or at least an allegation, not an opinion.

If you prefix this "I wonder if... we have not made every possible attempt.." then that would read as an opinion rather than a statement.

Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, and it's nowt personal to you.  But every close season we have posters berating the club for not signing so and so player when we don't actually know what has gone on behind the scenes.

And FWIW I would have preferred us to sign Greeny too.

I bet it's Brammall's fault, lining his pockets with our losses...

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 28, 2016, 04:33:45 pm by bpoolrover »
Agree can't sign him after 1 good game,Marc de Val was quality in every friendly he played in

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 28, 2016, 05:51:16 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
As said in the other thread, there was probably more to this than meets the eye however irrespective of the reason we didn't sign Greeny, the club inadvertently fuelled speculation by allowing him to train with us.

DF admitted he didn't realise what a fuss it would cause and now given that realisation, in order to kill the inevitable speculation, it would be helpful if he offered some explanation why we didn't sign him otherwise it will be seen in many eyes as a missed opportunity.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 28, 2016, 05:54:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
And...what was all that about, allowing Greeny to line up with the rest of the players and sign autographs at the open day!

He should have been kept well at away!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 28, 2016, 05:57:03 pm by ravenrover »
Ever thought it might have been HIS decision not to sign for us?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 28, 2016, 06:01:44 pm by drfchound »
Curtis Main might have told him how much the fans there support their players.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 28, 2016, 06:33:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well the Free Press have covered it stating we were keen to sign him despite DF playing it down...

Maybe Greeny's choice but will again inevitably fuel speculation as to why we couldn't secure his services to a club which is perceived to be no better than us.

Tbh I'm not that fussed, we move on but for those who had high hopes and collected his autograph, it's a disappointment and a PR gaffe.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 28, 2016, 07:13:52 pm by IDM »
Perceived by who? We are in the 4th division and Greeny has signed for a higher league side..

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 28, 2016, 07:22:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
All I'm saying is look at the range of reaction on social media. It could have been dealt with better by the club. That's the issue, irrespective of the reason he's ended up at Oldham.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012