Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:52:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Budget  (Read 16734 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
The Budget
« on July 06, 2017, 10:16:49 am by ravenrover »
It seems doubts are being cast, as usual, about the budget DF has been given.  I have no idea whether it is good or bad but can I ask what is probably a stupid question. After relegation the manager and players, who stayed, took substantial pay cuts,  following promotion were these salaries topped back up? If so would that in effect reduce the amount of money left over for DF to pursue his targets or in the case of JM make improved offers? Effectively meaning what was a top end budget becomes a lower end budget?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Re: The Budget
« Reply #1 on July 06, 2017, 10:18:42 am by MrFrost »
The general thought is that it is the same as last season. If that is true then I imagine it will be well in the bottom half of budgets for League One.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 06, 2017, 10:19:41 am by ravenrover »
That doesn't answer my question though

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 06, 2017, 10:21:36 am by vaya »
It seems doubts are being cast, as usual, about the budget DF has been given.  I have no idea whether it is good or bad but can I ask what is probably a stupid question. After relegation the manager and players, who stayed, took substantial pay cuts,  following promotion were these salaries topped back up? If so would that in effect reduce the amount of money left over for DF to pursue his targets or in the case of JM make improved offers? Effectively meaning what was a top end budget becomes a lower end budget?
I'd assume part of any budget will have been spent meeting increased salaries from existing players, so it will have cost the club more to stand still, without factoring in any new acquisitions.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 06, 2017, 10:41:05 am by DonnyOsmond »
The general thought is that it is the same as last season. If that is true then I imagine it will be well in the bottom half of budgets for League One.

Apparently we had a similar budget last season to the season before and that was a top 10 L1 budget.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 06, 2017, 10:41:42 am by MrFrost »

Apparently we had a similar budget last season to the season before and that was a top 10 L1 budget.

tHATS TWO YEARS AGO THOUGH. i'M GUESSING CLUBS BUDGETS HAVE INCREASED SINCE THEN.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 06, 2017, 10:43:33 am by vaya »

tHATS TWO YEARS AGO THOUGH. i'M GUESSING CLUBS BUDGETS HAVE INCREASED SINCE THEN.
Any proof our hasn't?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 06, 2017, 10:51:49 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
It doesn't matter what the budget is, the challenge is how you spend it, honouring the existing commitments we have, improving terms where necessary, managing players out and in.

Unless you know every players wage and what the budget is, the debate is pointless.

I have in the past got to know previous seasons wage budget and it was frightening. Out of control and not sustainable even with full houses every week. How did we get there? Pandering to players/ agents demands and not thinking about the consequences. Someone else's problem!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 06, 2017, 11:01:34 am by steve@dcfd »
Or just stop in league 2 show no ambition. Don't say we have a five year plan to get back in Championship.
When in reality we appear to finding getting players and keeping a player more difficult in the constraints of the budget.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 06, 2017, 11:05:26 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
If only it was that simple Steve. £s doesn't always =points. That would be a different league table. If that were true then Huddersfield should not have been promoted!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 06, 2017, 11:06:35 am by selby »
MR FROST HAS THE INCOME INCREASED,THATS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN INCREASE EXPENSES UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET INTO TROUBLE.THE TIME SCALE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 06, 2017, 11:09:41 am by MrFrost »
MR FROST HAS THE INCOME INCREASED,THATS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN INCREASE EXPENSES UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET INTO TROUBLE.THE TIME SCALE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

Well - the club reckons season ticket sales are a lot higher than last season, so income should have increased.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 06, 2017, 11:10:19 am by idler »
Unless you know a player's wage or demands then how can you judge if the board and management are being miserly or sensible?
JM has had his best season yet so his agent will be going for the best deal possible.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 06, 2017, 11:11:12 am by acko »
I would have thought Ravenrover the players are on contract irrespective of promotion or relegation,probably a clause is in the contract which will give a rise for promotion but i would think if there is no relegation clause the players themselfs can or refuse a pay cut

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 06, 2017, 11:12:05 am by vaya »

Well - the club reckons season ticket sales are a lot higher than last season, so income should have increased.

So you're saying the budget's increased on the back of higher income then?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 06, 2017, 11:12:15 am by GazLaz »
It's a bit of an old argument this one. Everyone knows that the current owners are sensible with their money and just want the club to be self sufficient. They top up the coffers if needs be to keep us going but they are never going to put crazy amounts into the pot. We just have to be happy for what we've got and accept it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 06, 2017, 11:19:25 am by selby »
The season tickets for an adult are cheaper I think than they were 2yrs ago,general inflation is up,players wages inflation is up,the value of the pound has tanked,interest rates are at an all time low.
   Thats the real world football club owners live in,if the T.V. money goes down some of the biggest clubs in the world will be in the poo and pillocks like you will still want other people to spend their money,get real.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 06, 2017, 11:39:24 am by MrFrost »
The season tickets for an adult are cheaper I think than they were 2yrs ago,general inflation is up,players wages inflation is up,the value of the pound has tanked,interest rates are at an all time low.
   Thats the real world football club owners live in,if the T.V. money goes down some of the biggest clubs in the world will be in the poo and pillocks like you will still want other people to spend their money,get real.

Then we should be honest with ourselves that a mid to lower table league one team is our level and aspirations above this are going to be increasingly difficult to achieve unless money is thrown at the situation.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 06, 2017, 11:45:11 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
We don't break even. The owners underwrite the loss every season. They are managing the risks of sustainable shortfall or unmanageable shortfall. If not managed wisely those losses could at least double very easily.

Frosty. A club of our stature has to work to a budget. You have to accept that. Once you do, life will seem less stressful.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 06, 2017, 11:54:54 am by acko »
The Rovers at this time are just a league one side who would be happy with a mid table finish,the thought of championship football is a dream they cant afford,every season its getting harder even in league one with teams like Blackburn and wigan spending the money.Who knows what might happen in the future but without substantial investment in this league and the championship the Rovers are in for a long haul in league one.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 06, 2017, 12:02:10 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Then we should be honest with ourselves that a mid to lower table league one team is our level and aspirations above this are going to be increasingly difficult to achieve unless money is thrown at the situation.

It affects the aspirations of all clubs just as much, it's all relative.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 06, 2017, 12:09:45 pm by MrFrost »
The Rovers at this time are just a league one side who would be happy with a mid table finish,the thought of championship football is a dream they cant afford,every season its getting harder even in league one with teams like Blackburn and wigan spending the money.Who knows what might happen in the future but without substantial investment in this league and the championship the Rovers are in for a long haul in league one.

The majority of our supporters seem to be against substantial investment.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 06, 2017, 12:13:23 pm by Metalmicky »
Reality check ladies. We're currently pulling 4-5 thousand   each home game.... let's all do some maths here.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 06, 2017, 12:16:23 pm by selby »
I am being realistic and honest Mr Frost,I thank god that we have the owners we have.
   It is a new season and we start off level with every club in our division,if money was everything at this level ourselves,Burton,and Rotherham would not have gone up.
  Lets see what the  season brings before we shout foul,and blame a lack of budget.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 06, 2017, 12:20:58 pm by MrFrost »
I am being realistic and honest Mr Frost,I thank god that we have the owners we have.
   It is a new season and we start off level with every club in our division,if money was everything at this level ourselves,Burton,and Rotherham would not have gone up.
  Lets see what the  season brings before we shout foul,and blame a lack of budget.

When we have been promoted in previous seasons from this level, we've probably been one of the top spending teams.

We will have to see what happens, but the money situation is going to filter down into League One, in fact it is already beginning to. Success at any level is going to have to be bought sooner or later.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 06, 2017, 12:21:21 pm by steve@dcfd »
Reality check ladies. We're currently pulling 4-5 thousand   each home game.... let's all do some maths here.

But if you allow your top goal scorer to leave how does that improve the support. What will be said here we go again why should we bother.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 06, 2017, 12:22:07 pm by Wild Rover »

At the same point in time is what was implied.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 06, 2017, 12:28:24 pm by RedJ »

I don't understand this logic. How is it harder to get out of a league the longer you're in it? by that train of thought it should be easy to bounce straight back up every time a club is relegated.

And by the way. There is a five year plan, i.e. not immediate, to make the club a sustainable Championship club. That doesn't mean spunking millions the first season we're in League One.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 06, 2017, 12:30:07 pm by silent majority »
There's nothing wrong with this seasons budget, and we can confidently expect it to be at the higher end of this division. Making assumptions based on limited information and prejudice isn't helping those who seem to be shouting loudest.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 06, 2017, 12:30:24 pm by MrFrost »

At the same point in time is what was implied.

Well, SM was confident of more than 5000 season tickets being sold. But of course the true number will never be released.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012