Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 12:49:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Rochdale F.A. cup match  (Read 9275 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Rochdale F.A. cup match
« on January 02, 2018, 11:29:52 am by selby »
  A funny game to call, against a team who are not having the best of seasons, but have been far from ne of the worst teams we have played this season, and have given us a hard time of it in all our three meetings this season, and cannot be taken lightly
  Their only away victory has come in this cup against Slough, in the second round, after beating another non league side Bromley in the first round, both scores being 4=0
  Will Coppinger return?
  Will we make other changes after a busy Christmas period?
  Can we carry on our recent improvement in form?
  Will our home crowd keep up the recent improvement in attendence numbers?
  One to keep an eye on for the scouts among us, Harrison McGahey, a young defender who has played centre half, and right wing back against us this season, and has won their M.O.M. 5 times this season including 2 in the 3 matches against us. Plays No6,looks comfortable on the ball, is a big unit, and is only 21 yrs old, and could cover a position/ positions we are not over blessed in, and I think is out of contract at the end of the season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the Rochdale F.A. cup match
« Reply #1 on January 02, 2018, 11:36:05 am by GazLaz »
I like Rochdale. They’ve got a lot of good footballers and try and play the right way. Similar to ourselves inexperience has done for them at times I think. Hope they stay up.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 02, 2018, 11:40:45 am by IDM »
I think there may be a couple of changes, I can see Marquis getting a rest but if Copps is fit, I would start him.

I think Fergie wants to field a strong side, but I think we have enough to make a few changes and still be a threat.

We don't play in the league until Jan 13th, against in-form Plymouth. After 4 games in 11 days that's quite a decent break..

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 02, 2018, 11:50:28 am by selby »
  With prize money of £67,500 at stake and the chance to progress to draw a plum fixture in a later round, I would expect this fixture to be taken very seriously by both clubs, and after the second half of the last game over Christmas it could become a little fiesty.
   Rochdale came out in the second half revved up and put it about a bit, and could see that as the best way to knock us out of our stride.
  A strong referee would be a bonus,but I think Marquis is too important to the way we play to be rested IDM, and they have been pretty strong down their centre in our other games against them this season.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 02, 2018, 11:55:27 am by IDM »
I don't disagree about resting Marquis - I would rather he plays personally - but I can imagine he might not start.

Definitely think this is a game we should be looking to win.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 02, 2018, 12:16:28 pm by Campsall rover »
Unless Marquis is injured I am sure he will play.
We just dont have anybody else in our squad who can do the job he does.
This match is just as important as any league game.
We would have a very good chance of drawing a big club in the 4th round. This could make Rovers a sizeable sum which would probably be given to DF to bring in a couple of players in the transfer window.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 02, 2018, 12:24:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think DF may play with the same formation as played v Peterborough just to change it from our last game v Rochdale. If Copps has recovered then he'll be in the squad but unsure whether he'll start.

Gotta go for it as the reward is too great to take lightly.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 02, 2018, 01:11:59 pm by POD »
   Rochdale came out in the second half revved up and put it about a bit, and could see that as the best way to knock us out of our stride.
Yes, they did play much better in the second half, but with Rovers 2-0 up, we played well within ourselves in order to restrict their chances.  Had it been 0-0 or Us losing at half time, I think that you would have seen a different Rovers in the second half.
On the strength of what we saw on Friday and another Rochdale defeat against an out of form Blackpool on Monday, I think that we will have too much for them.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 02, 2018, 01:26:10 pm by Campsall rover »
Personally I think it is a good job we were 2-0 up at half time.
We were running on empty in the last 30 mins due to mixture of fatigue and illness.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 02, 2018, 01:53:29 pm by selby »
  The fear is they have not won away from home against league opposition all season, and everyone knows how good we are at ending other teams bad runs of form, eek.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 02, 2018, 02:01:14 pm by RoversAlias »
  The fear is they have not won away from home against league opposition all season, and everyone knows how good we are at ending other teams bad runs of form, eek.

We're so good at it that Rochdale came here last week and...didn't end that bad run of form.

It will have no bearing on the game in my opinion. Whether or not we can maintain our recent performance level will be the deciding factor, as Rochdale looked capable in defeat last week. But we were the better side and can be again here.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 02, 2018, 02:54:27 pm by selby »
  R.A. I agree, let's hope you are right. It was meant to be a tongue in cheek statement.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 02, 2018, 04:35:55 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Does the availability of our loan players (including Houghton) depend on securing an extension (or permanent transfer) in time?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 02, 2018, 04:56:51 pm by Alan Southstand »
  One to keep an eye on for the scouts among us, Harrison McGahey, a young defender who has played centre half, and right wing back against us this season, and has won their M.O.M. 5 times this season including 2 in the 3 matches against us. Plays No6,looks comfortable on the ball, is a big unit, and is only 21 yrs old, and could cover a position/ positions we are not over blessed in, and I think is out of contract at the end of the season.

Good spot, Selby, and I agree he would be quite some asset if we were lucky enough to get him, but I think it's the left side that we will be looking to reinforce, as that's where we are on the light side. A good investment if we indeed we are interested.

Reminded me of the lad who was on loan at Mansfield last season, was it Howkins, from West Brom? He was similar in stature and quite powerful. I wonder where he is now?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 02, 2018, 05:24:18 pm by Bentley Bullet »
An Alfie May Hat-trick will send 'em packing!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 02, 2018, 05:43:35 pm by selby »
Alan, he has impressed me in all three games, and must admit I was surprised last week when he was played at wing/full back, but he looked more than comfortable in that position, and if he plays to that standard regularly, I would be after him.
  Another, if people would still want an experienced mid field player at this level would be Perkins, at Wigan.
 Personally I would not bother too much about midfield or strikers, I know that may surprise you , we see different things, but I do see improvement in both players, I prefer one player,  you the other.
     Of course all that depends on our signing the loan players up for the rest of the season or on a permanent, which I would do if possible.
  I would try and get Khemis, Beestin, Fielding, and Amos(tough to do at his age) loans at at least National League level, and let Alcock go if he could find a club.
  The left back position is a tough one, I rate Garrett and think he will become a good player.Andrew  definitely is. So as manager, we have had to cover that area since Andrews injury, and we have had more than one option, three at the back, Mason, or Garrett, and a couple of players who have dropped in there during a game.
   I would not fetch in a permanent in as Andrew will be back next season, and I would hope that Garrett will by then be pushing him anyway, but a loan would stunt Garrett getting experience this season in which we have coped up to press and Garrett has made massive strides in by having to play.
 I would be O.K. to go with what we have, unless getting in a good permanent  young player like McGahey, keep the money and get a couple of Permanent good youngsters in the summer for next season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 02, 2018, 05:50:29 pm by selby »
  B.B. I really really hope so, nothing would give me more pleasure.
      Although a couple by Mandeville,on as a second half sub would, then we could argue the toss who scored the better goals.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 02, 2018, 06:28:33 pm by steve@dcfd »
Having listen to DF’s interview re signings he talked getting through and about a good draw in round 4 so the club get money. I assume this will help in any additional signings. He also says he’ll pick the strongest side he can.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 02, 2018, 07:19:06 pm by selby »
  Fergie saying that is exactly what I want him to do, we need to have a go at this game,it is very important that the increased supporter interest is not lost.
  Win this game, and the whole town would be buzzing with the right draw for the next round, and could encourage more people to take up the half season ticket offer, or the group of matches tickets.
  It would be nice for our ticket sales for this game to keep pace with our recent league games attendances which have been better than recent seasons. The more that come to the games the better.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 02, 2018, 07:55:08 pm by Alan Southstand »
I wouldn't want a permanent signing for left back, either. When Andrew got injured, the manager didn't hang about getting in a replacement, who is now injured and has returned to his parent club. I would rather a better option come in to see us through the remainder of this season. I agree with you on Garrett, but time is on his side, he's still very much at the learning stage.

My main target would be a midfielder and, again, a left sided player, as that gives us the option to play Tommy either at the tip of the diamond or as a support striker to Marquis. That would give us more bang for our buck.

A clinical striker would be the icing on the cake, but we don't have the funds for that sort of player, so we can forget that option.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 03, 2018, 11:41:59 am by selby »
 Hopefully no news is good news with regard to resigning our loan players.
   I don't see any reasons for any problems, all have had good game time, all have started to show more experience, and game management  to go with their obvious natural ability.
   I hope we get the deal for Houghton across the line, it would show ambition 

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 03, 2018, 12:12:25 pm by The Red Baron »
I doubt we will hear anything till tomorrow. Hopefully some news then.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 03, 2018, 04:34:16 pm by selby »
   I think we would hear if there were problems earlier than if they were to sign again, I hope so anyway.
 Of our loan players the one that would not raise many eyebrows if he left would be Rodney. But I honestly think that he could become a big player for us in the second half of the season,and would be keen to sign him again.
   He has that rare ability of being able to run past defenders, and is able to get a cross in while running at speed, and is now realising he can do it in games. He is also putting himself about a bit more when he has not got the ball, covering the player, and getting a tackle in. something that was lacking in his game just a few weeks ago.
  Whether he will ever be good enough for City is open to debate, but now we have put in the work in the first half of the season, we might as well try and get the benefit of what he has learnt while with us.
  If it works out well it may just encourage M.C. to let us foster other young players and build a relationship.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 03, 2018, 06:19:48 pm by Alan Southstand »
I certainly hope you're right with the loanees, Selby. Not hearing anything concerns me, as I thought it was all cut and dried, especially with Whiteman anyway. Fair enough, Houghton's position is slightly different, in that we're trying to get him in permanent, which could take a bit longer (not much longer, though, I hope).

With Kongolo, I'm torn - but I guess it comes down to the fact he's now part of the scene and it would be a crying shame for all that work go to waste, so I hope he does extend. And, you're right, it will foster even better relationships with Citeh. Hell, they may even send us another one!

With Toffolo, I hope he replaces him as we can't afford to be without a good solid left back until the end of the season. If only Andrew was due back!!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 03, 2018, 07:33:51 pm by selby »
  Alan, over the last couple of years I have noticed a close relationship with the local paper the Free Press  usually being the first to announce any transfers.
   Could tomorrow be their scoop day so to speak, one reporter certainly has his ear to the ground. Plus could Fergie have already completed some business, and is just keeping it close to his chest, as he did at Accrington, which proved to be Houghtons and Masons first game for us, but had been at the club in some secrecy in the week prior.
 Fergie has proved to be a cute cookie at such things, and the staff are not the cullender of information we have had under previous managers.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 03, 2018, 08:08:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Oh for the days when Andy Liney used to be in the know, closely followed by everybody else!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 03, 2018, 08:43:30 pm by The Red Baron »
The weekly press conference is tomorrow. Would be a good time to announce some positive news.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 04, 2018, 07:42:35 am by Alan Southstand »
Fingers crossed here!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 04, 2018, 09:34:48 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
With Kongolo, it's very easy just to judge him on what we see on the pitch. He clearly has ability and physically he's fit, strong and quite quick.

What we don't see is how he's adjusted to his new surroundings and playing league football and the pressure of playing for points not wanting to make mistakes.

After the initial excitement and the first few games, once the novelty wore off, he may have lost his mojo a bit. Has he made good friendships? Does he feel like an outsider? All these things add up to how well he's played.

I'm sure DF will be helping him and, I'm also sure Man City will want him to stay. I think we've yet to see the best of Rodders!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 04, 2018, 09:42:22 am by GazLaz »
Kongolo is a couple of years (at least) behind the likes of Houghton, Whiteman and Wright in terms of development. Got ability but green as grass.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012