Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:46:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: I'm astonished...  (Read 12128 times)

bobbymax

• VSC Member
Re: I'm astonished...
« Reply #30 on March 09, 2019, 10:58:34 pm by bobbymax »
Has McCann threatened to shoot a referee or something?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on March 09, 2019, 11:10:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I've watched it upwards of 20 times now, just trying to see if I've missed owt.

It's weird. The way the keeper runs out, grabs hold of Marquis and wrestles him, I got to thinking that the red mist had come down. That's the only time you'd normally see a keeper behave like that. Maybe Marquis had left a foot in when the keeper saved Butler's header?

But no. Nothing remotely like that from Marquis. It's just a calculated attempt to deceive e the ref and it worked.

I'm proud to support a team that doesn't do that. It's pointless winning if that's how you win. I would genuinely rather see us relegated playing the game hard but fair, than see us promoted playing the game like that. Because...

Well, Danny Blanchflower summed it up. He once said, football is not about winning. It's about glory. That captures it perfectly. If you win by doing what the keeper did, then well done. You won. But there's no glory in that. It's just you being a cheating Kitson. You'll know that every time you look in the mirror.

I've had a soft spot for Wimbledon ever since the franchise. But I fervently hope they go down this year.

And I don't harbour grudges, but I hope that Kitson f**ks up a powder puff shot and concedes the goal that sends them down.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 11:15:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on March 09, 2019, 11:18:51 pm by pib »
On first viewing I thought Marquis was the aggressor but having watched it again the keeper is definitely running into him as he jogs out, and clearly grabs him.

Not sure if the ref would change his mind on second viewing also. Presumably so.

I'm sure every football player (or most) have it in them to act in the manner that the GK did though so I'd be a bit uncomfortable getting on my high horse about it personally. But that's just an opinion.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on March 09, 2019, 11:26:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It's bad enough a player getting sent off in those circumstances. But for there to be no mechanism whereby the ref can say, "Hands up. I got it wrong." and thereby stop the ban happening is simply stupid.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on March 10, 2019, 01:36:18 am by PDX_Rover »
There needs to be an appeal. An appeal for common sense.

To deliberately create a situation to have an opponent sent off is blatant foul play. No doubt Wally Downes plotted that a half time.

I’ve watched it back a dozen times and it’s kitsonism of the lowest order.

Calculated f**king cheating. It should not be allowed to stand.

Rovers should be banging on the doors of the EFL with footage demanding action.

You know, I loved the Wimbledon story. But f**k em.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 10, 2019, 08:30:26 am by drfchound »
I've watched it upwards of 20 times now, just trying to see if I've missed owt.

It's weird. The way the keeper runs out, grabs hold of Marquis and wrestles him, I got to thinking that the red mist had come down. That's the only time you'd normally see a keeper behave like that. Maybe Marquis had left a foot in when the keeper saved Butler's header?

But no. Nothing remotely like that from Marquis. It's just a calculated attempt to deceive e the ref and it worked.

I'm proud to support a team that doesn't do that. It's pointless winning if that's how you win. I would genuinely rather see us relegated playing the game hard but fair, than see us promoted playing the game like that. Because...

Well, Danny Blanchflower summed it up. He once said, football is not about winning. It's about glory. That captures it perfectly. If you win by doing what the keeper did, then well done. You won. But there's no glory in that. It's just you being a cheating Kitson. You'll know that every time you look in the mirror.

I've had a soft spot for Wimbledon ever since the franchise. But I fervently hope they go down this year.

And I don't harbour grudges, but I hope that Kitson f**ks up a powder puff shot and concedes the goal that sends them down.

BST, I had also wondered whether John had left a foot in on the keeper so have also looked quite a few times now but as you say, he did nothing wrong.

There HAS to be a way of getting this reviewed.

I bet one of the big clubs would find a way.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on March 10, 2019, 09:37:54 am by ravenrover »
No review on yellow cards leading to a sending off

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on March 10, 2019, 09:57:29 am by dknward2 »
No review on yellow cards leading to a sending off

Which is wrong especially when it’s such a clear and obvious mistake.

Grant said we need to be more street smart ages ago that seems to have disappeared from us again.

Some times I think we need to stay down with a ‘head injury’ or a loud cry when tackled

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on March 10, 2019, 10:09:55 am by idler »
The other end from our fans so I just thought it was a soft yellow for blocking the keeper but dear me.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on March 10, 2019, 12:38:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We occasionally get the surveys from EFL and/or Supporters federation asking how the game can be improved. We've had threads on the subject a few times and this issue has to be right up there. The right to appeal an injustice. It can't be right to be able to appeal a red card but not an appeal against any yellow that leads to a red card.

VAR on it's own will not solve all of these issues during a game so, we need the right to appeal and retrospective punishments for those players who are seen to be misleading the referee otherwise the behaviour will not change.

Take Hernandez for West Ham yesterday. A yellow card is not sufficient. A red card and at least a one match ban should be applied.

I don't believe refs deliberately go out to get things wrong as they have a difficult job when they have one chance to get it right and often are influenced by players in their faces. A chance to review things has to be beneficial and even if an injustice is not corrected on the day, incorrect cards need to be subject to an appeal.

I'm sure every football fan a cross the land would vote for a reform of the appeal system.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on March 11, 2019, 06:57:10 am by Donnywolf »
just seen it on sky sports website. F*ck me what an appalling decision! The keeper fouled John, not the other way around. Its the sort of thing you see week in week out at most games around the Leagues, and never given as a free kick! The ref must have "had it in" for John from some early incidents. Also pretty disgusted to see the Dons player fist bump the keeper straight after, as if a job well done.

Link to vid is here: https://www.skysports.com/football/afc-wdon-vs-doncaster/393515 (incident is 1 min in)

To me if you want to see what is wrong with the Game of Football - just look at that Player in the background

He celebrated a fellow professional (one whose hand he had shaken 51 Minutes earlier - as part of the Respect campaign) being Sent off as if he PERSONALLY had scored the winner in a game at Wembley

Thats how far the game had gone down - when the opposition cheer because they now have a wounded / weakened opponent (whether they cheated to get there or not) that they are now more likely to beat

Compare that to Tennis Players who in Grand Slam Finals absolutely hate playing an injured opponent because they want the ultimate test of their own skill. They want to win Wimbledon (ironically) of course but want to do it against the best fittest opponent not have it remembered for the injured Player

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on March 11, 2019, 07:49:16 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Perhaps we can start a compaign to get the appeal system reviewed via S_M and the FSF?

Not sure what can be done otherwise though as it needs a big change to the culture of the game. The Respect campaign has had too little effect unfortunately.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 11, 2019, 07:50:34 am by ctay »
At the time I didn't think he had done a lot wrong. If anything put his arm across the keeper (which he does have a habit of doing), but it was totally wrong. I am sure the ref will be in the middle somewhere tomorrow night, unpunished as usual.

I wouldn't blame the sending off on the result though. Poor from start to finish.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on March 11, 2019, 09:47:38 am by Donnywolf »
Yet again I would LOVE to see the Assessors Report but there seems no way to get at them

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on March 11, 2019, 09:55:16 am by BillyStubbsTears »
At the time I didn't think he had done a lot wrong. If anything put his arm across the keeper (which he does have a habit of doing), but it was totally wrong. I am sure the ref will be in the middle somewhere tomorrow night, unpunished as usual.

I wouldn't blame the sending off on the result though. Poor from start to finish.

Watch the video again. Marquis didn't move so much as a hair on his head towards the keeper.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on March 11, 2019, 10:02:20 am by ctay »
I would rather not seen any of that game again to be honest!!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on March 11, 2019, 11:21:19 am by idler »
Surely the keeper could be charged retrospectively with bringing the game into disrepute?
It wouldn't get us any points but would make the keeper think.
It looked premeditated, I wonder what Wally Downes would say.  Well done lad, job done?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 11, 2019, 12:24:11 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Surely the keeper could be charged retrospectively with bringing the game into disrepute?
It wouldn't get us any points but would make the keeper think.
It looked premeditated, I wonder what Wally Downes would say.  Well done lad, job done?

what we learn over the years is just to accept things - and hope decisions balance out over time - at the upper echelons of basketball football (non contact sport) with VAR the 12th man ie the Pool kop will be neutralised (hopefully) which will make it harder for alleged "bent" referees to operate as well. 

I've shown the video of the goalkeeper "allegedly " "assaulting" JM -  to non football people and asked them what happened next and they all say JM was assaulted.

Straight after the match i knew who  this mobs next match is against namely Peterbru -- so do we want them to have a reserve goalie in place against Peterbread  if he is suspended?   

and Rovers in theory get a double penalty ??

Ironically MK Dons will be getting promoted this season and taking the "mobs" place but sadly we have to wish them luck against Peterb . I have looked at Peters fixtures and they looked worrying easy for instance an easy 3 points against Bradford

think i'll do a pole who do you want to win lose or draw in the wimbledon Peterborough match -- 

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on March 11, 2019, 12:29:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Another inconsistency of the incident.

The ref chose to book Marquis for retaliation against the player who impeded the playing of the free kick.

If the ref believed Marquis impeded the keeper, why didn't he book the keeper for his retaliation for throwing Marquis to the ground?

We have to accept the ref got in wrong however if it was appealed and reviewed then the following should happen:-

1. JM's yellow and red rescinded.
2. The keeper receives a retrospective yellow for the foul on Marquis.
3. Did the keeper deliberately attempt to deceive the referee in an attempt to get another player booked? Perhaps only the ref can call that. If the answer is yes, then he should be banned for simulation.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on March 11, 2019, 12:31:46 pm by MachoMadness »
I'd only just calmed down from the Charlton game. Now this shower of shite has set me off again. Disgusting isn't the word. The rules are the rules and we can't appeal the ban, fine. But that Kitson of a keeper should be investigated.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 11, 2019, 01:01:46 pm by Chris Black come back »
It was frustrating. Not justifying the decision but when Marquis walked past the keeper there was contact so ref presumably thought Marquis had given him a clip or impeded him. It was not as if Marquis was ten yards away and yet still booked. It was a ludicrous decision but there have been worse - and there were few hystrionics from McCann or other players, which tells a story.

Fundamentally though we played at best bang average in first half and this was reason we lost. Having ten men would have been a major handicap but we had half of game to be in front and we were not.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on March 11, 2019, 01:21:29 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I'd only just calmed down from the Charlton game. Now this shower of shite has set me off again. Disgusting isn't the word. The rules are the rules and we can't appeal the ban, fine. But that Kitson of a keeper should be investigated.

Goalkeepers seem to be able to get away with anything. Look at Pickford yesterday, and then also remember that McCormick was, as far as I know, never investigated for his role in Copps' red card 2 years ago.

And don't get me started on Toni Schumacher (if you are old enough)

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcasa&p=toni+schumacher+battiston+incident+youtube#id=2&vid=5ed89d289c094bfea19f9fb2d290928c&action=click
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:26:37 pm by Dutch Uncle »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on March 11, 2019, 01:52:01 pm by idler »
That was the most disgraceful act ever by a keeper.
I couldn't believe that he wasn't sent off and a penalty awarded.
Cynicism by the keeper and gross inefficiency by the officials.
Then in 1990 the whole German bench jumped up for a minor foul to get Gazza booked.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on March 11, 2019, 01:53:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Right.

The attached is how I've just wasted my lunchtime. If anyone at the club is reading this, feel free to use that and ask the FL what their observations are.

For me, the key is the keeper's movement between frames 4 and 5. He clearly and unambiguously springs sideways off his right leg and into Marquis. Marquis quite clearly does not have hold of the keeper's arm during that movement, and it would be physically impossible for Marquis to pull the keeper over to the keeper's left.

The keeper then engages his arm with Marquis's (frames 5 and 6) clearly bending his elbow to grip Marquis's arm, before tipping Marquis to the ground. At no point does Marquis's right elbow appear bent, as it would need to be if he were driving the engagement. Marquis's arm is clearly not bent and is clealry not causing the engagement with the keeper's in frames 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13 and 14 (frames 7, 8 and 11 are either too blurred to see or obscured, but he'd have to have biceps like Popeye to bend and straighten his arm between those frames that quickly).

It's about a plain a piece of cheating as you're ever going to see. I'm utterly bewildered that the ref has been looking at it the whole time and not seen what has happened.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:59:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on March 11, 2019, 02:06:30 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
And then the keeper has the gall to front up to Marquis, and then push him when he's got up from being thrown to the ground.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on March 11, 2019, 02:10:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Better version attached. I've freeze framed the video and got another two frames showing the keeper's move leftwards into Marquis. That is what caused the clash and it is simply not physically possible for Marquis to pull the keeper over to him like that without having positive contact on the keeper to drag him - which he clearly hasn't got. If Marquis had deliberately put his right shoulder and arm across the keeper, it would have knocked the keeper to his RIGHT, not to his left.

As I say, the club can feel free to use that if they wish. I know Marquis's card won't get rescinded, but if you ignore cheating like that, there's not much hope is there?

I can only assume the the ref has got it wrong, because it is such a bizarre action by the keeper that the ref's brain simply hasn't computed it. You just don't see keepers doing that, because the only correct decision there should be a clear and stonewall penalty. So the ref's seen a coming together and simply assumed that it must be the fault of the striker.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:45:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 11, 2019, 02:21:34 pm by MachoMadness »
Right.

The attached is how I've just wasted my lunchtime. If anyone at the club is reading this, feel free to use that and ask the FL what their observations are.

For me, the key is the keeper's movement between frames 4 and 5. He clearly and unambiguously springs sideways off his right leg and into Marquis. Marquis quite clearly does not have hold of the keeper's arm during that movement, and it would be physically impossible for Marquis to pull the keeper over to the keeper's left.

The keeper then engages his arm with Marquis's (frames 5 and 6) clearly bending his elbow to grip Marquis's arm, before tipping Marquis to the ground. At no point does Marquis's right elbow appear bent, as it would need to be if he were driving the engagement. Marquis's arm is clearly not bent and is clealry not causing the engagement with the keeper's in frames 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13 and 14 (frames 7, 8 and 11 are either too blurred to see or obscured, but he'd have to have biceps like Popeye to bend and straighten his arm between those frames that quickly).

It's about a plain a piece of cheating as you're ever going to see. I'm utterly bewildered that the ref has been looking at it the whole time and not seen what has happened.
DRFC's answer to the Zapruder film, this. Back... and to the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MLc0udf_74

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on March 11, 2019, 02:22:20 pm by Donnywolf »
Cheers BST. I watched the original time and again - even isolated a bit with JMs boot on the back of Keepers leg and was unconvinced

However now I see that almost frame by frame - I hate him (GK) and that celebrating "muppet". No justice for second Yellows !

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on March 11, 2019, 03:46:13 pm by PDX_Rover »
It's embarrassing for Wimbledon to be honest. Yes, we were pretty awful overall but this doesn't do football any favours.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012