Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 03:08:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Parliament to be prorogued  (Read 45762 times)

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
Re: Parliament to be prorogued
« Reply #690 on September 24, 2019, 11:18:00 am by drfcsteve »
A unanimous Judgment by the highest court in the land that the Prime Minister acted unlawfully.

I eagerly await to hear how this is Corbyn's fault.

Why would anyone suggest that?

Why indeed. Wait for the papers tomorrow morning. It definitely won't be Boris's fault.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #691 on September 24, 2019, 11:18:41 am by drfchound »
A unanimous Judgment by the highest court in the land that the Prime Minister acted unlawfully.

Why indeed. Wait for the papers tomorrow morning. It definitely won't be Boris's fault.

Oh I think it will be.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #692 on September 24, 2019, 11:19:01 am by selby »
  Does this mean that every law passed by parliament must now go to the supreme court to be verified, Jump about and celebrate your moment, this opens a can of worms for any law in future that can be challenged by the rich establishment.
  Have the MP's not voting for article 50 last March now broken the law?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #693 on September 24, 2019, 11:20:24 am by Metalmicky »
What irks me a little is that Sourbry is now piping that she wants to "get back into that chamber and ask the questions that need asking"

It's not like this situation has creeped up on them...

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #694 on September 24, 2019, 11:26:17 am by tommy toes »
Not only is Boris in trouble. What about all his ministers like Cleverley, Kwarteng and Rees- Mug who are all complicit.
All of em should resign.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #695 on September 24, 2019, 11:34:51 am by DonnyOsmond »
  Does this mean that every law passed by parliament must now go to the supreme court to be verified, Jump about and celebrate your moment, this opens a can of worms for any law in future that can be challenged by the rich establishment.

I don't even...?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #696 on September 24, 2019, 11:39:19 am by MachoMadness »
Not even close to what happened here so there's no danger of that.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #697 on September 24, 2019, 11:39:41 am by selby »
  One good thing that could come out of this is parliamentary privileged could be a thing of the past, and things said in the H.O.C. can be taken to law for judgement.
    As I said, a can of worms opened.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #698 on September 24, 2019, 11:48:49 am by IDM »

No. If parliament acts by its rules when passing laws then why should there be any problem.?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #699 on September 24, 2019, 12:03:04 pm by Donnywolf »
Seeing Sourbry and Blackford cuddling on the steps of the Supreme Court makes me feel a bit sick.  Oh and now Bercow is piping up again... 

TBH I havent stopped laughing that the Liar Johnson has been ruled as acting unlawfully.

And that is and has been the problem right from the beginning - the Referndum vote was too devisive

I expect you and I were on opposite sides of the Voting (I despite my age voted Remain) - and yet I suspect we are level headed people just getting on with our lives

So whereas you were sicked by Soubry and S Ian Blackford and I can see why I was ecstatic that Johnson has been done again

And the truth of the matter with todays ruling is it will change very little. Those that love Johnson will look past what he has "done" and those like me who detest him and what he and his Party have done will continue to do so (split something like 50 50 at a guess)

As someone posted above - its a complete s**tstorm (or something similar)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #700 on September 24, 2019, 12:41:33 pm by GazLaz »
When was the last time Parliament was as turbulent as this?? It’s an absolute shambles.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #701 on September 24, 2019, 12:49:13 pm by IDM »
1642.??

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #702 on September 24, 2019, 01:23:23 pm by Metalmicky »
Seeing Sourbry and Blackford cuddling on the steps of the Supreme Court makes me feel a bit sick.  Oh and now Bercow is piping up again... 

TBH I havent stopped laughing that the Liar Johnson has been ruled as acting unlawfully.

And that is and has been the problem right from the beginning - the Referndum vote was too devisive

I expect you and I were on opposite sides of the Voting (I despite my age voted Remain) - and yet I suspect we are level headed people just getting on with our lives

So whereas you were sicked by Soubry and S Ian Blackford and I can see why I was ecstatic that Johnson has been done again

And the truth of the matter with todays ruling is it will change very little. Those that love Johnson will look past what he has "done" and those like me who detest him and what he and his Party have done will continue to do so (split something like 50 50 at a guess)

As someone posted above - its a complete s**tstorm (or something similar)

I agree with most of that - TBH, I just want it done with now.  I dislike what is happening to my country - a country that I proudly served for many years - perhaps reform is what is needed and this may be the path that leads to it.

I personally think Johnson is an incompetent buffoon who people are only following out of curiosity - a circus performer rather than a statesman to respect...... unfortunately he will still have favour in the public eye - some folk can't see past their cereal box. 

However, I really don't care for Corbyn either........ perhaps it's time for a coalition government again.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #703 on September 24, 2019, 01:26:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
  One good thing that could come out of this is parliamentary privileged could be a thing of the past, and things said in the H.O.C. can be taken to law for judgement.
    As I said, a can of worms opened.

Have you even heard the judgement? It has ruled on absolutely nothing said in the HOC.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #704 on September 24, 2019, 01:27:27 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Wait for boolrover. It's always Corbyn fault according to him!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #705 on September 24, 2019, 01:28:32 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

The Supreme Court hasn't 'verified', or even looked at a Law passed by Parliament. It has ruled on the actions of the PM.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #706 on September 24, 2019, 01:31:02 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Not only is Boris in trouble. What about all his ministers like Cleverley, Kwarteng and Rees- Mug who are all complicit.
All of em should resign.

Apparently a lot of the Cabinet didn't even know about the prorogation until the decision was made and they were told about it by text. But Rees-Smugg is in it up to his neck as the Leader of the House.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #707 on September 24, 2019, 01:35:18 pm by drfcsteve »
All the Supreme Court has done is said it's unlawful for the Executive to take unilateral action with the intention of stopping Parliment doing its job. It's been pretty obvious from the start that's what BoJo was doing so I'm not surprised the Judgment went against the Government.

In my view the Judgment has no other impact than to stop us being ruled by an autocrat, and I for one am pleased that the backdoor to us having a dictator prime minister has been slammed shut.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 06:13:47 pm by drfcsteve »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #708 on September 24, 2019, 01:37:42 pm by Metalmicky »
Should he stay, I can see Boris bringing back the TM Withdrawal Agreement and putting it back on Parliament. A fair few on his side will now see it as the only way to guarantee Brexit happens at all.

I also think that it may well pass. The ERG will know it’s the May Deal or no Brexit.... although nothing would surprise me.  Would be ironic to see RM and his cronies voting for it after all the mayhem that's been caused...   

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #709 on September 24, 2019, 01:59:01 pm by GazLaz »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #710 on September 24, 2019, 02:02:03 pm by bpoolrover »

wait for Glynn being a bell end as normal 👍

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #711 on September 24, 2019, 02:03:14 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #712 on September 24, 2019, 02:04:43 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

wait for Glynn being a bell end as normal 👍

Oh the humiliation!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #713 on September 24, 2019, 02:17:45 pm by SydneyRover »
    ''The Government is tomorrow expected to table a motion paving the way for a short conference recess

Cabinet ministers are working on the assumption that it will pass and Tory conference will still go ahead
    September 24, 2019''

Andrew Sparrow the Guardian:

It does not seem obvious to me that such a motion would pass. Boris Johnson no longer has a majority and, if opposition MPs have spent the last three weeks complaining about prorogation, it is hard to see why, as soon as they got back, the first thing they would do would be vote for another recess for the benefit of the Conservative party.

It would be inconvenient, but not impossible, for the Conservative conference (which starts on Sunday, and is due to run until the following Wednesday) to go ahead with the Commons actually sitting. The Commons does not schedule recesses while the SNP are holding their conference. Boris Johnson could deliver his leader’s speech on the Sunday, instead of on the Wednesday morning as planned. And Commons business could be scheduled to minimise the chances of key votes on the Monday or Tuesday.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #714 on September 24, 2019, 03:12:19 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The big difference is that all Parliamentary business  - and not just tat carried out in the Chambers can carry on, which it couldn't with a prorogation.

Boris was due to go in front a Committee comprising all the Chairmen of the Select Committees and undergo scrutiny the day after prorogation, which could well have been a factor in the timing of it. I can imagne that Committee wanting him in front of them post haste now. Watch this space!

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #716 on September 24, 2019, 04:13:45 pm by Metalmicky »
The qstn is: what is the ultimate font of constitutional authority under our system. If it is the Monarchy, the monarch's decision is definitive & no court can over-rule it. If it is the Supreme Court then we do not live in a constitutional monarchy. It's as fundamental as that.

— Andrew Lilico (@andrew_lilico) September 24, 2019

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #717 on September 24, 2019, 04:24:46 pm by Not Now Kato »
The qstn is: what is the ultimate font of constitutional authority under our system. If it is the Monarchy, the monarch's decision is definitive & no court can over-rule it. If it is the Supreme Court then we do not live in a constitutional monarchy. It's as fundamental as that.

What utter gibberish!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #718 on September 24, 2019, 04:25:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
See I'm struggling here.

We're told that proroguing Parliament had nothing to do with Brexit.

And yet...the only people who are furious with the SC for ruling this illegal are full-on members of the Brexit Death Cult, from Cummings to Farage, to Lilico.

Strange isn't it?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #719 on September 24, 2019, 04:30:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

What utter gibberish!

You have to realise that Lilico is paid by the IEA to write this dogshite, and the IEA are funded by...well, we don't know because they refuse to say, but suffice to say they have been relentlessly pushing a far-Right economic case for half s century, so you can guess it's not ordinary workers

Lilico is the mendacious little shite who pushed that line that, because we give the EU £x then get back a rebate of £y, Johnson wasn't lying when he said that we paid  the EU £x. He's one of these people who had a fabulously expensive education, but was never taught about the concept of Lies of Omission.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012