Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 04:33:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The problem for Labour...  (Read 3834 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
The problem for Labour...
« on November 06, 2019, 11:25:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »
...in three diagrams. From a recent YG poll

1) Which party do 2016 Ref voters now support.

Labour has attracted very few Leave voters at all. But hasn't dominated the Remain vote.

2) Who do people who voted Leave in 2016 now support, compared to who they voted for in 2017?

So half the Leave voters who supported Labour in 2017 have gone to the Tories and BP. And Labour has attracted virtually no Leave voters from anywhere else.

3) Who do people who voted Remain in 2016 now support, compared to who they voted for in 2017?

This was Labour's biggest group of voters in 2017. This was the one they should have consolidated. And as recently as last Xmas, most of the 2017Lab/2016Remain people (a BIG chunk of the electorate) were still supporting Labour.

But Labour f**ked it up last winter. They assumed that these supporters were in the bag. And they went after the Leave vote. Corbyn wrote an article last Xmas where he said that if there was an imminent GE, Labour would campaign as a Leave party.

And there's the result. Labour has haemorrhaged the support it needed to consolidate among Remain supporters, while winning no Leave supporters.

Monumentally bad politics.

It's not beyond salvation, but f**k, what a position to start a GE campaign from.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: The problem for Labour...
« Reply #1 on November 06, 2019, 11:48:35 am by SydneyRover »
It's particularly scary when you consider that the ERG control the tory party at the moment and their aim is to crash out no deal if they win.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 06, 2019, 11:52:09 am by wing commander »
   That is one point Sydney we can both agree on.A no deal brexit would be disastrous.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 06, 2019, 12:17:23 pm by rtid88 »
...is Jeremy Corbyn!!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 06, 2019, 01:17:48 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
   That is one point Sydney we can both agree on.A no deal brexit would be disastrous.
[/quote
Hence why brexit party wont get the votes some think they will.

Labours other problem of course is talking to themselves.  They spend a substantial amount of time doing so and not campaigning externally.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 06, 2019, 08:01:05 pm by Sprotyrover »
...is Jeremy Corbyn!!
I have always said you could put a retarded Chimpanzee up as
Labour Candidate in Doncaster and it would get voted in, having seen Corbyn in action I think MOMENTUM had the same thought about the party leader!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 10:13:09 pm by Sprotyrover »

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 06, 2019, 09:05:11 pm by rtid88 »
Labour with a more centralist Leader would wipe the floor with the racist, selfish, pompous, bigots party in December. Unfortunately I can see the Tories joining forces with whoever they need to, to form a government....

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 06, 2019, 10:01:39 pm by Ldr »
Labour with a more centralist Leader would wipe the floor with the racist, selfish, pompous, bigots party in December. Unfortunately I can see the Tories joining forces with whoever they need to, to form a government....

This, why cant labour members see it?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 06, 2019, 10:04:09 pm by drfchound »

This, why cant labour members see it?

I suppose it is hard to improve on perfection.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 06, 2019, 10:07:37 pm by Ldr »
Deluded

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 06, 2019, 10:10:44 pm by Draytonian III »
3 or 4 of their  election candidates have been de-selected,including the one to replace John Mann, she was from Camden !!

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 06, 2019, 10:17:57 pm by Sprotyrover »
3 or 4 of their  election candidates have been de-selected,including the one to replace John Mann, she was from Camden !!
It's the MOMENTUM agenda to replace all moderate Labour MP's with their 'Preferred' anti Semitic nut jobs, good luck to them. The Labour Party has brought this upon themselves.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 06, 2019, 10:23:18 pm by BobG »
The Labour Party now suffers, badly, from what many on here accused the Tories of for years and years and years: being driven by dogma. The Labour Party is now driven by dogma. Trouble is, their dogma goes down even less well than the Torys'.

And you're right Billy. I don't know how representative I and my mates might be, but after lifetimes of voting Labour, two thirds of them, including me, will not vote Labour next month. I am disenfranchised. I wish the Monster Raving Loony Party was still around. In their absence, I hope there's an anarchist standing near me instead.

BobG

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 06, 2019, 10:32:13 pm by drfchound »
i remember a Monty Python doing a sketch Bob which had the Very Silly Party standing.
It is a shame they aren’t for real............

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 06, 2019, 11:54:20 pm by SydneyRover »
If momentum are hurting the labor party, which there appears to be agreement what on earth is the ERG doing to the conservatives and the country, incomparable.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 07, 2019, 12:06:23 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Fair point

There's a lot of talk about Labour having gone to the extreme. Much less about the Tories.

But they have .

This is by far the most right wing Tory party since the War. Thatcher c.1985 would be a moderate in this Tory party.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 07, 2019, 08:21:15 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/vote-tory-urges-former-labour-mp-ian-austin-nk52kpmng?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1573111521

Ok this guy is no fan of JC, but still staggering that someone who was a labour mp is saying vote tory...  after a bad start for the Tories to the campaign this is gold for them.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 07, 2019, 08:29:41 am by Donnywolf »
.... and this Tweet should be for them - but I think people are so polarised now that it will make not one SHRED of difference

Man who wanted an election and who campaigned for an election and who voted for an election and whose party voted for an election says he didn’t want an election. Is there anything Boris Johnson says which is actually true? Anything?

Honestly not sure what you’re meant to write about @BorisJohnson’s campaign.

It is lie after lie after lie after lie after lie after lie after lie after lie after lie

And you can point them all out but it makes no difference.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 07, 2019, 08:43:51 am by wing commander »
   Both Party's did very very little to promote their causes yesterday did they.Politics is seen as a shambles at the minute with a lot of mistrust and anger directed at them all.So you would think the party's would be wanting to close ranks and not give away any own goals.Not a bit of it..

The Tory's lost a minister and are still reeling from Moggs simply shocking comment on Greenfell so not a good start for them but instead of taking advantage Labour follow it up with Tom Watson quitting in the face of momentum timed to embarrass Corbyn and Ian Austin a well respected long time Labour Mp asking the public to vote for the Tory's for the good of the Country.

You couldn't make it up,both of the party's are a absolute disgrace and even Billy and Bentley must be finding it harder and harder to make a decent case for any of them.!!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 08:57:33 am by wing commander »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 07, 2019, 09:05:00 am by SydneyRover »
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/vote-tory-urges-former-labour-mp-ian-austin-nk52kpmng?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1573111521

Ok this guy is no fan of JC, but still staggering that someone who was a labour mp is saying vote tory...  after a bad start for the Tories to the campaign this is gold for them.

Is that any different to an MP that has switched party's from any party? they would not want you to vote for their previous party, this is only a bit different because the Murdoch media are making the most of it as you would expect bfyp.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 07, 2019, 12:12:24 pm by wing commander »
   Well yes it is tbh..Most people who have swapped party's have done so mainly on there own personal opinion of brexit and have swapped to be independent or joined a party which match their views.

They don't come out and absolutely rip their old party to bits on what they stand for and beg the electorate to vote for someone else to protect the country...

And I'm not sure you can blame the right wing press for this one Sydney,the torys have had a bashing in the press on similar level to Labour.Even the Daily Mail took Mogg to task on Greenfell this week.

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 07, 2019, 12:28:44 pm by Hounslowrover »
Ian Austin works for the Tories as an envoy to Israel, hence his article in the Jewish Chronicle.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 07, 2019, 12:51:17 pm by IDM »
i remember a Monty Python doing a sketch Bob which had the Very Silly Party standing.

Can’t get the quote quite right but the candidate was called Tarquin Fin Tim Lin Bin Whin Bim Lim Bus Stop Ftang Ftang Ole Biscuit-Barrel..

I’ll try and find the accurate quote.. edited assuming Wiki is correct..
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:58:22 pm by IDM »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 07, 2019, 01:05:52 pm by Dutch Uncle »
The Labour Party now suffers, badly, from what many on here accused the Tories of for years and years and years: being driven by dogma. The Labour Party is now driven by dogma. Trouble is, their dogma goes down even less well than the Torys'.

I think the the electorate's karma is about to run over their dogma Bob  :blush:

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 07, 2019, 01:47:42 pm by Not Now Kato »

This one hound.  https://vimeo.com/338490074

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 07, 2019, 04:44:09 pm by scawsby steve »

Is that any different to an MP that has switched party's from any party? they would not want you to vote for their previous party, this is only a bit different because the Murdoch media are making the most of it as you would expect bfyp.

Sydney, you're very very astute on politics, far more than me and others, but the area you fall down on is your obsession with newspapers. That story today has been on ALL the TV news channels for most of the day.

Nothing whatsoever to do with the Murdoch media.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 07, 2019, 05:00:22 pm by albie »
SS,

"Nothing whatsoever to do with the Murdoch media".

Austin and Woodcock have not been Labour MP's for a long time.
Instead of resigning and fighting a by-election, they have taken the Frank Field option and continued to draw the salary they won by standing for Labour.

Now they are about to lose the paycheck, they come out of the woodwork for Johnson, despite standing on a platform to oppose the Tories. No surprise, to me anyway!

There would be no point in a futile gesture unless the media look to big it up. The timing to announce today is to distract media focus from the Labour launch of the John McDonnell programme.

This only works with the active support of the media pack...storm in a teacup raised up to significant move.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 07, 2019, 06:06:32 pm by scawsby steve »
SS,

"Nothing whatsoever to do with the Murdoch media".

Austin and Woodcock have not been Labour MP's for a long time.
Instead of resigning and fighting a by-election, they have taken the Frank Field option and continued to draw the salary they won by standing for Labour.

Now they are about to lose the paycheck, they come out of the woodwork for Johnson, despite standing on a platform to oppose the Tories. No surprise, to me anyway!

There would be no point in a futile gesture unless the media look to big it up. The timing to announce today is to distract media focus from the Labour launch of the John McDonnell programme.

This only works with the active support of the media pack...storm in a teacup raised up to significant move.

That's not what I'm talking about Albie; I'm talking about the way it was reported on the news broadcasts  on all the TV channels. All they did was report it. No opinions on it whatsoever.

There's a massive difference in impartiality between TV reporters and newspaper journalists. That's why I never read newspapers. They're too politically biased.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 07, 2019, 06:27:00 pm by foxbat »
Perhaps the most terrifying thing about our whole political situation, is the realisation that we share these islands with literally millions of people who will happily vote for the #ToxicTories 😲

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 07, 2019, 06:37:15 pm by drfchound »

This one hound.  https://vimeo.com/338490074

That is the one NNK.

As for “it’s a shame they aren’t for real”,    well we all know they are but they go under different names.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012