Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:41:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sadlier released  (Read 12467 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Sadlier released
« Reply #90 on June 26, 2020, 08:37:58 pm by Filo »
Paul Keegan, Tommy Gaynor.?

EPL/Division One: Liam Miller, Kevin Doyle, David Forde, Stephen Ward, Wes Hoolahan, Shane Long, James McClean, Kevin Moran, David Kelly, Robbie Brady, Brad Jones, Enda Stevens, Jeff Hendrick,

Championship: Sean Maguire, Darryl Horgan, Alan Brown, Kevin Long, Aaron Connelly and thats without researching players..............

Anyway, more than you think started out in the League of Ireland or in lower divisions in Ireland with Kevins Boys or Home Farm and have gone onto make successful careers in England.

You’ll be New Tiger on the Hull forum then 🤪

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on June 28, 2020, 07:26:32 am by RobTheRover »
Paul Keegan, Tommy Gaynor.?

Eddie Gormley. Played for Bray Wanderers before coming to England.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on June 28, 2020, 09:34:42 am by Draytonian III »
Colin Hawkins we signed him from St Patrick Ath, but had been at Coventry before that and would be again

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on June 29, 2020, 07:39:41 am by elmsallrover »
A lot of talk of him going to scum just down the road

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on June 29, 2020, 09:10:39 am by ravenrover »
Scum? Please expand

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on June 29, 2020, 02:14:25 pm by wing commander »
All rumours of course but the one i've heard is that he had a provision deal with Hull if they stay up and GM doesn't get sacked but now Rotherham are interested in him now there promotion is confirmed.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on June 29, 2020, 03:59:50 pm by swintonrover »
I heard the Rotherham rumour as well.

The Hull thing surprises me because I was under the impression that Sadlier didn't get along with McCann.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on June 29, 2020, 06:10:57 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
As said by most above, rumours are just that. People love putting two and two together. Thing is, Sadlier is a good player and deserves a crack at the next level. He can score with left, right and headers so he is an attractive proposition for a number of clubs I would expect.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on June 29, 2020, 08:44:49 pm by drfchound »
As said by most above, rumours are just that. People love putting two and two together. Thing is, Sadlier is a good player and deserves a crack at the next level. He can score with left, right and headers so he is an attractive proposition for a number of clubs I would expect.

Dead right DBR, Sads will go on to better things.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on June 29, 2020, 09:14:55 pm by selby »
  Well I wish the boy well  wherever he ends up, but, going to Hull Rotherham or Barnsley and if the correct number of points are taken off Sheffield Wednesday and thinking about it Huddersfiel Town if he goes to any of them down the road there is a very good chance he will be playing Division 1 football either next season or the season after.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on June 30, 2020, 12:53:25 pm by Jonathan »
Sadlier is bound to attract plenty of interest and have a choice of clubs to pick from. The goals and assists return and the ability to play off both feet and score with his head gives lots to work with. We need to replace that contribution (when the time comes) and that won’t be easy.

The difficult decision for any footballer is finding the right fit, and considering the likely exposure / long term prospects etc. etc. We ourselves will expect to pick up good players when the time is right, and we’ll expect them to choose us irrespective of the level that the outside world may perceive that we’ll be competing at in the coming years.

Any career move is a gamble but I think Sads will have a fair choice to pick from and will take the various pros and cons into account alongside his advisers. Good luck to him, he’s shown before he’s not afraid of taking a risk or uprooting, and it’s got his career into a good position. I respect that.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on June 30, 2020, 05:53:42 pm by silent majority »
Attracting interest and securing a deal that he thinks is worthy of his abilities is another.

With all contracts expiring today, and those not signed up, will get caught in the salary cap proposals that the EFL are intent on introducing for the next season. In addition the salary cap proposals also include bonuses and agents fees. It might not be just players who feel the pinch.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on June 30, 2020, 05:59:35 pm by ravenrover »
Big Daz says the door is not closed with Sadlier, a deal is there and he is keeping in touch with him says Free Press
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 06:03:52 pm by ravenrover »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on June 30, 2020, 06:20:37 pm by Jonathan »
Attracting interest and securing a deal that he thinks is worthy of his abilities is another.

I don’t get the impression he’s been over valuing himself. I’d imagine he arrived at DRFC on a (in the scheme of things and relative to our higher earners) fairly modest 18 month contract. In that time he’s grown in stature and been up there as our most productive player this season, with plenty more development still in him. By my reckoning that gives him the right to expect improved contract terms, and if that’s not forthcoming here then I’d expect there’ll be offers elsewhere, probably with the added incentive of Championship football too. He’s a human being and he has to look out for himself. He’s quietly got on with it here, there’s never been a cross word said either way between him and the club and he deserves better than an insinuation that he has an inflated value of himself.

We all look for some recognition of improvement in our career progression, if he didn’t then he’d be undervaluing himself and his contribution.

If he was to stay I’d be delighted as I enjoy watching him play and he scores goals. But, realistically, I expect he’ll move on and pursue an opportunity in the Championship and good luck to him. Our task will be to replace him, and replace his goals, whether directly from that position or elsewhere in the team. Wide players capable of hitting 10-15 goals a season are a rare and expensive breed so it may be the latter.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on June 30, 2020, 07:09:19 pm by drfchound »
Well said Jonathan.
Also if Sads does get a deal with a Championship club then he probably has more chance of improving on his earnings.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on June 30, 2020, 07:48:22 pm by Chris Black come back »

I don’t get the impression he’s been over valuing himself. I’d imagine he arrived at DRFC on a (in the scheme of things and relative to our higher earners) fairly modest 18 month contract. In that time he’s grown in stature and been up there as our most productive player this season, with plenty more development still in him. By my reckoning that gives him the right to expect improved contract terms, and if that’s not forthcoming here then I’d expect there’ll be offers elsewhere, probably with the added incentive of Championship football too. He’s a human being and he has to look out for himself. He’s quietly got on with it here, there’s never been a cross word said either way between him and the club and he deserves better than an insinuation that he has an inflated value of himself.

We all look for some recognition of improvement in our career progression, if he didn’t then he’d be undervaluing himself and his contribution.

If he was to stay I’d be delighted as I enjoy watching him play and he scores goals. But, realistically, I expect he’ll move on and pursue an opportunity in the Championship and good luck to him. Our task will be to replace him, and replace his goals, whether directly from that position or elsewhere in the team. Wide players capable of hitting 10-15 goals a season are a rare and expensive breed so it may be the latter.

Nobody knows for sure, but I suspect the debate is not about improved contract terms on what he was on. Could be wrong, but I imagine we were offering a material improvement on what he was on when we took him out of the Irish league. Also from the words Moore has used (contract remained on table etc) it did not sound like we reduced terms we first offered pre-COVID to post-COVID.

Question rather appears then to be not if we offered improved terms, but as SM suggests, whether we offered what he valued himself at - along with a desire to play at highest level possible.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:06:41 pm by Chris Black come back »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on June 30, 2020, 08:42:41 pm by silent majority »

Jonathan,

It's not the first time that you've challenged my posts when I mention Sadlier, (nor hound either) and it's not the first time you've misrepresented what I've said.

There's nowhere in my post that suggests or even mentions that I thought he was overvaluing himself. What I actually said was that securing a deal that he thinks is worthy of his talents is a completely different proposition to actually getting an offer from another club. I didn't say he was overvaluing himself, he may well be on the money, but we don't know that do we? Or shall we just 'imagine', as you say, that he arrived on a fairly modest deal compared to our 'higher earners'. And here's the rub. The last time I mentioned his salary you suggested that the club should just bend over backwards and pay him what he thought he was worth. It's a good job we didn't considering how the summer seems to have panned out, it may well have put pressure on the club to part with other contributors to the team effort.

But it was my proposition that negotiating a deal in this climate cannot be easy. Yes I'm sure a Championship club may be able to meet his demands, but we don't know that, and at this moment in time I doubt most of the clubs will know either. Until the EFL ratify what the squad limits are for all 3 divisions I doubt any club is too sure what they can easily afford. He certainly won't be joining another LG1 side with limits of 22 players and £2.5m as a salary cap leaves no room for manoeuvre. Even more so when he'll have to cover his agents fees as well.

I'm sure you'd be happy, as you say, if he stayed, but he won't be staying now. The very fact his contract has expired makes signing him again that much more difficult due to the restrictions on squad sizes and contracted players. Those already contracted prior to today are guaranteed that their salaries won't be directly affected by the changes, those out of contract are in a much worse position.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on June 30, 2020, 09:27:58 pm by drfchound »
SM, have Coppinger and Blair signed the deals they were offered?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on June 30, 2020, 09:45:28 pm by Jonathan »

Jonathan,

It's not the first time that you've challenged my posts when I mention Sadlier, (nor hound either) and it's not the first time you've misrepresented what I've said.

There's nowhere in my post that suggests or even mentions that I thought he was overvaluing himself. What I actually said was that securing a deal that he thinks is worthy of his talents is a completely different proposition to actually getting an offer from another club. I didn't say he was overvaluing himself, he may well be on the money, but we don't know that do we? Or shall we just 'imagine', as you say, that he arrived on a fairly modest deal compared to our 'higher earners'. And here's the rub. The last time I mentioned his salary you suggested that the club should just bend over backwards and pay him what he thought he was worth. It's a good job we didn't considering how the summer seems to have panned out, it may well have put pressure on the club to part with other contributors to the team effort.

But it was my proposition that negotiating a deal in this climate cannot be easy. Yes I'm sure a Championship club may be able to meet his demands, but we don't know that, and at this moment in time I doubt most of the clubs will know either. Until the EFL ratify what the squad limits are for all 3 divisions I doubt any club is too sure what they can easily afford. He certainly won't be joining another LG1 side with limits of 22 players and £2.5m as a salary cap leaves no room for manoeuvre. Even more so when he'll have to cover his agents fees as well.

I'm sure you'd be happy, as you say, if he stayed, but he won't be staying now. The very fact his contract has expired makes signing him again that much more difficult due to the restrictions on squad sizes and contracted players. Those already contracted prior to today are guaranteed that their salaries won't be directly affected by the changes, those out of contract are in a much worse position.

You do play a funny card on here sometimes.

Firstly, I’ve offered a different perspective to yours. If you see that as challenging you then I feel you’ve got some of this a little out of proportion.

Secondly, I’d reiterate that choosing to use language like ”securing a deal that he thinks is worthy of his talents” does imply that you feel he’s overvaluing himself. It certainly comes across a little snooty. I appreciate I may have misconstrued your choice of words...

Thirdly, seeing as you’re a stickler for picking out the exact words used, I’d challenge you to find an example of me saying we should “bend over backwards” to pay Sadlier, or any other player, an amount we cannot afford.

My point was, and still is, that at the time discussions started he justified the offer of improved terms. Not a longer contract on the same terms. I have also said elsewhere that I fully accept the pandemic has changed things, and offering an improved contract now is not the same as it would have been in November / December. Not even you knew that COVID-19 would hit back then, I don’t think anyway.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012