Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 07:29:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Benefits Log  (Read 64199 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Benefits Log
« Reply #300 on February 04, 2021, 03:02:03 pm by selby »
Cadbury is to move the Dairy Milk chocolate manufacturing back to the UK from Germany a £15 million investment.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #301 on February 04, 2021, 03:03:00 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Cadbury is to move the Dairy Milk chocolate manufacturing back to the UK from Germany a £15 million investment.

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but yea...................

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #302 on February 04, 2021, 03:06:17 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Nice. Shame it's not going to mean any new jobs though.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #303 on February 04, 2021, 03:09:43 pm by selby »
  Eyes tight shut, gob wide open fell for it BB.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #304 on February 04, 2021, 03:13:30 pm by Bentley Bullet »
He'll be saying next it's Flake news.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #305 on February 04, 2021, 03:18:41 pm by belton rover »
No doubt he’ll Fudge the issue.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #306 on February 04, 2021, 03:24:11 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I say it's nice and mean it, and BB's little coterie can't help but snigger about it.

Says everythijng about all three of them.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #307 on February 04, 2021, 03:28:21 pm by belton rover »
Don’t you mean ‘Snicker’ about it?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #308 on February 04, 2021, 03:30:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't think he likes the idea of the UK coming up smelling of Roses.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #309 on February 04, 2021, 03:51:25 pm by wilts rover »
Even as recently as last year, Leave supporters didn't seem to understand what sort of Brexit they had voted for. Johnson repeatedly insisted that Brexit wold not result in a customs border in the Irish Sea. That aged well didn't it?

Even as recently as last month the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland insisted there is no border in the Irish Sea and goods between GB & NI were flowing freely:

https://twitter.com/BrandonLewis/status/1345057483887411200

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on February 04, 2021, 03:57:53 pm by wilts rover »
Should we not be moving on from that topic of conversation?  We had a referendum, leave won, we had an election (twice since that point) which the conservatives came out the largest party.  They are points that are done, history.  It's about the future now surely?

I'm with you on this one BFYP.

Leave won and country will be poorer and quite probably smaller for it.

Although this thread is mighty short of anyone publishing any actual benefits from it.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #311 on February 04, 2021, 04:16:35 pm by belton rover »
Should we not be moving on from that topic of conversation?  We had a referendum, leave won, we had an election (twice since that point) which the conservatives came out the largest party.  They are points that are done, history.  It's about the future now surely?

Although this thread is mighty short of anyone publishing any actual benefits from it.
Some might say you’ve just named a huge, long term benefit right there, Wilts.

Global society has developed at a mighty rate over very recent years. Faster than people can adapt in many ways. Maybe someone should take the lead in slowing down or becoming ‘smaller’. The world imploding in a few years to come is certainly a possibility the way things are going.
I’d never thought of Brexit providing a benefit in such a way before.

Finally, we’ve got one. Here’s to many more.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #312 on February 04, 2021, 04:31:05 pm by tyke1962 »

Global society has developed at a mighty rate over very recent years. Faster than people can adapt in many ways. Maybe someone should take the lead in slowing down or becoming ‘smaller’. The world imploding in a few years to come is certainly a possibility the way things are going.

Couldn't agree more Belton , well said .

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #313 on February 04, 2021, 05:00:06 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

It's a very good point.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #314 on February 04, 2021, 05:03:33 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Well spotted Wilts!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #315 on February 04, 2021, 05:19:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton.

So your "evidence" is the first hit that Google chucks up? A partisan opinion piece by a conservative blogger. This hasn't started well has it?

I'm a bit busy right now, so I'm certainly not going down the rabbit hole of dealing with every one of his accusations of "lying" by the Remain side, but here are a few to be going on with.

1) EU Army. Does anyone, anywhere genuinely and seriously think that the EU has plans for an army on the scale of national armies? Or that Britain in the EU would have joined such a scheme? What a bizarre one for him to choose as his No1 "lie".

2) The vote for Leave DID have an immediate and detrimental effect on the UK economy. The pound fell in value by 10% overnight. Consequently, inflation bounced up, resulting in a stagnation in real wage growth, just as it was finally starting to rise after years of Austerity. Have a look at this graph and put your finger on the date when the referendum happened.

And it got worse. In 2014-15, we had had the highest GDP growth in the G7. By 2017, we had the second lowest. The rest of the developed world had a strong mini-boom in 2017-18, with GDP rising by 2-4% per year in most countries. Except us, where ours stagnated at around 1-1.5%.  Have a look at the graph below and put your finger on the date that referendum happened.

3) Emergency Budget. That was a stupidly 1-dimensional thing for the Remain side to say, but it was based on a truth. The UK finances WERE devastated by the effect of the vote causing the economic downturn. In that, Darling and Osborne were absolutely bang on. The way that Hammond dealt with that once Osborne had gone, was to extend the period of grinding Austerity to balance the books out from 2019 to 2025 in his first Budget. So no, there wasn't an emergency budget. There was a continuation of the grinding misery of Austerity as a result of the vote. A spin based on a truth, rather than an outright lie to match the 80million Turks.

8) No hard border in Ireland. This is about as far as I'm going with this bloke's arguments. If he is truly claiming that anyone saying there would be a hard trade border between NI and Eire in the event of a No Deal was a liar, there's not much more point in engaging. Of COURSE there would have been. There is no example in the history of commerce of two trading entities having neither a trade deal, nor a trade border between them. As it is, because of the deal we struck, we now have the trade border between NI and GB, despite Johnson's insistence for two years that that wouldn't be the case (despite him having signed the deal that said that WOULD be the case). I assume you don't agree with what this blogger is saying about the Irish border Belton, because I assume you have more sense than that. Which does leave me wondering why you posted that link.

Enough for now.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #316 on February 04, 2021, 05:37:21 pm by belton rover »
Billy. Because you asked me to post evidence to be taken seriously by you. My opinion is not enough for you when I make a point.
I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t.

Don’t bother with any more of your sarcastic shit. I’l give evidence when I see fit in future, not when you demand it.
I shouldn’t have fallen into that trap.

If your long winded response was for my benefit, it was a complete waste of your time.

The point I tried to make (and seemingly failed) about the link, is that you can find whatever ‘evidence’ you like in a couple of clicks. Much like you do on Twitter, among other platforms. Some people (you) have time to scrutinise every part of every link that is posted. Some people don’t. Some people see a link and think that is evidence and proof that the poster is correct; that the link MUST back up the poster’s opinion just because it is there, but very often it does no such thing.

You actually don’t have the right, or respect to dismiss opinion through lack of evidence.

Edit: you do have the right to dismiss whatever you like of course.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 05:51:51 pm by belton rover »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #317 on February 04, 2021, 06:04:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton.

It absolutely was not a trap. I am just genuinely surprised at your insistence that both sides behaved disgracefully. And yeah, maybe I was sarcastic in my response, but it does get a bit trying when you post something in evidence which I assume you hadn't even read. Because if you had read it, I'm sure you would have seen the glaring inconsistencies for yourself.

Regarding your point about "finding whatever evidence you want", that is deeply depressing. If you give into that then evidence-based discussion is dead and we are back into a Dark Age. I have higher aspirations than that. I believe there is a thing called Objective Truth and all of us who care about the future have a responsibility to look for it. Not just post something because it makes a point.

The opinions thing gets to the core of the issue. Opinions are fine. We all have them. But opinions which don't change when faced with contrary evidence are dangerous. I'd prefer a world where we have evidenced-based opinions, rather than the one we seem to be collapsing into, which is one of opinion-based evidence.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #318 on February 04, 2021, 06:16:18 pm by belton rover »
You really don’t think you use opinion based evidence? You never find expert opinion or scientific evidence or tweets to back up your opinion?
I see the problem with opinion based evidence, which is one of the reasons I rarely post links. But you are as guilty of opinion based links as anyone.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #319 on February 04, 2021, 06:27:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton

I'm sure I am far from perfect, but I have a policy of always trying to go back and look at the original data whenever possible, rather than repeating someone's opinion because it chimes with mine.

I don't expect you to believe that because you don't accept that I try to act in good faith, but it is the truth. I genuinely believe that we all have a responsibility to challenge our opinions on a regular basis. To look for evidence that contradicts what we would like to be the case.

For example, the persona that you have conjured up about who I am, is a person who would be loathe EVER to give credit to a Tory Government. I try to avoid becoming that person by reflecting on what the Tory Government does. And, as you may or may not have seen, I've been fulsome in my praise for how the vaccine programme has been handled. Better than very nearly anywhere else in the world. If I wasn't acting in good faith, I would have ignored that, or I would have tried to find an angle to criticise.

Like I say, I am far from perfect, but that is what I try to do.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #320 on February 04, 2021, 06:41:29 pm by belton rover »
Why do you insist on bringing this persona you think I have created of you up time and time and time again? Why do you insist on telling everyone that I don’t believe you act in good faith EVERY single time we disagree? Good faith/bad faith is YOUR line. I think I used the phrase once, when directly quoting you in your first accusation.
I’ve done nothing to warrant this latest outburst from you but it’s the same old system of yours every single time we converse like this: you dig some old shit up that has no relevance to the current debate. Next you will tell me you have no interest in discussing anything else with me again.
Until you do.
What is your problem?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #321 on February 04, 2021, 06:49:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton.

I said that I don't expect you to believe what I wrote because I honestly DON'T expect you to believe it. Based on 6 months worth of interaction.

I would be delighted to be wrong. Genuinely.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #322 on February 04, 2021, 08:02:41 pm by wilts rover »

I mean't smaller in that Scotland and Northern Ireland will be leaving the UK - thus diminished.

As Brexit is a project devised by billionaires to reduce tax and increase money laundering whilst reducing workers and environmental rights, I doubt you will be seeing this government push to 'slow it down'. Isn't one of Johnson's slogans 'Build, build, build'.

Maybe you should have voted for Labour's Green New Deal if it is that important to you.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #323 on February 04, 2021, 08:28:38 pm by belton rover »

I mean't smaller in that Scotland and Northern Ireland will be leaving the UK - thus diminished.

As Brexit is a project devised by billionaires to reduce tax and increase money laundering whilst reducing workers and environmental rights, I doubt you will be seeing this government push to 'slow it down'. Isn't one of Johnson's slogans 'Build, build, build'.

Maybe you should have voted for Labour's Green New Deal if it is that important to you.

Ah, you see, Wilts, that’s the problem with ambiguous language.

I missed the news bulletin that said Scotland and Northern Ireland were leaving Britain because of Brexit. Was it on Talk Radio?

I’m still going to use my interpretation of ‘smaller’ as a benefit of Brexit, if you don’t mind. I know it’s not what you meant now, but I think you have inadvertently come up with a benefit that could single handedly outweigh the almost relentless negativity on here and shape a much brighter future for us all.

I’m unsure why you’d suggest I should have voted for Labour’s Green New Deal when that was clearly your interpretation of  ‘small’, not mine.

TommyC

• Forum Member
« Reply #324 on February 05, 2021, 06:29:18 am by TommyC »
Interesting interview between Jes Staley, CEO of Barclays and the BBC this morning. Optimistic about the opportunity Brexit presents for the UK financial sector to compete globally outside of Europe with the US and the Far East without having to go down the route of deregulation. He feels that Brexit leans slightly towards being a positive opportunity rather than a negative overall. Talks down the "modest" loss of jobs seen in the financial sector as a direct result of Brexit.

Plenty of opportunity to play the man rather than the ball here, given he's an American, he's a banker and he was investigated for being allegedly less than truthful about his financial dealings with Jeffrey Epstein. He is nevertheless CEO of one of our largest and oldest banking institutions so his opinion isn't completely irrelevant.

It's only his opinion of course but nevertheless it's good to read a piece about Brexit that focuses on opportunity for the future.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #325 on February 05, 2021, 09:19:10 am by Bentley Bullet »
Tommy, just because this is a Brexit benefits thread it doesn't mean that any suggestion of Brexit benefits is welcome!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #326 on February 05, 2021, 09:35:46 am by SydneyRover »
learning all the time Albert, it is only a suggestion, nothing concrete yet to replace the 7000 jobs already lost and the hundreds of millions of £s.

Added, my mistake Albert £1.6 trillion

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #327 on February 05, 2021, 09:46:12 am by Bentley Bullet »
Thank goodness for that, Skippy. I almost thought the CEO of Barclays had a point for a minute there until you put him straight.

Told yer, Tommy!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #328 on February 05, 2021, 10:46:26 am by SydneyRover »
every day's a school day bb

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #329 on February 05, 2021, 11:06:06 am by Bentley Bullet »
Are you homeschooling in Sydney, Sydney? I don't want to get you into trouble by distracting you.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012