Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:47:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alexander Navalny  (Read 1652 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Alexander Navalny
« on January 18, 2021, 01:00:41 am by BillyStubbsTears »
The chief political opponent of Putin.

Someone poisoned him with Novichok last summer. He was flown to Germany for life saving treatment. Flew back to Moscow today and was arrested.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kira_Yarmysh/status/1350867405594103816

Comments today by Trump: Zero

Comments today by Johnson (who of course, blocked for 12 months publication of a report into the lack of an investigation into Russian interference in our elections, saying that ahh...he...err...hadn't called an inquiry to look for...err...evidence of Russian interference because he...err...hadn't seen any evidence of Russian...ahh... interference): Zero.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: Alexander Navalny
« Reply #1 on January 18, 2021, 07:51:34 am by RobTheRover »
Trump made a comment on Friends Reunited about it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 18, 2021, 09:03:31 am by drfchound »
Of course Trump has been banned from Twitter, Facebook and Instagram I believe.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 18, 2021, 09:30:10 am by Filo »

He still has TV outlets

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 18, 2021, 09:32:02 am by BillyStubbsTears »
In fairness, in the USA, Mike Pompeo had criticised this pretty much at the time I was posting last night.

In the UK, the R4 Today programme pointedly said at 7am that the EU and USA had expressed support for Navalny. The Foreign Office put out a statement an hour later, 14 or so hours after the arrest.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 18, 2021, 09:32:27 am by BillyStubbsTears »

He still has TV outlets

And paper.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 18, 2021, 09:46:21 am by River Don »
Mr Navalny is a very brave man, I fear returning to Moscow was a foolhardy move. I don't see a gangster regieme like that holding a political prisoner for long years, I think he'll just be disappeared.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 18, 2021, 10:38:39 am by Glyn_Wigley »

He lives in a building with a briefing room that has tv cameras that can broadcast his every utterance 24/7. He's hardly voiceless.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 18, 2021, 10:41:02 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Mr Navalny is a very brave man, I fear returning to Moscow was a foolhardy move. I don't see a gangster regieme like that holding a political prisoner for long years, I think he'll just be disappeared.

I was expecting him to get the full Benigno Aquino experience as he left the plane.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 18, 2021, 11:01:36 am by Metalmicky »
TBF Trump has got his hands full...... in a few days he is free of the presidency...... but also free to be arrested himself..

As River Don says, I fear a custodial end to Mr Navalny's days.......... a case of Epsteinism.

I know it is of no real relevance... but I wonder if Corbyn (who was in opposition like Navalny) would have condemned the Russians yet.... or would he be waiting for more evidence...?  :whistle:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 18, 2021, 01:18:51 pm by ravenrover »
I see Raab has condemned it, presumably on behalf of the Government

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 18, 2021, 02:56:17 pm by drfchound »

He still has TV outlets

Aren’t tv outlets news items filtered.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 18, 2021, 03:29:22 pm by Filo »

He still has TV outlets

Aren’t tv outlets news items filtered.

You tell me?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 18, 2021, 03:45:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Christ this is hard work. For a person who hasn't got time to read around issues, you have plenty of time to write daft stuff in here Hound.

The point I was making about filtering is that media organisations choose what stories to prioritise. And looking around independent sources, on social media, you can often find interesting issues which haven't been covered by the mainstream media.

Why on earth you'd bring up that issue on this topic is beyond me, but it does fit a pattern.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 18, 2021, 06:06:20 pm by drfchound »
Christ this is hard work. For a person who hasn't got time to read around issues, you have plenty of time to write daft stuff in here Hound.

The point I was making about filtering is that media organisations choose what stories to prioritise. And looking around independent sources, on social media, you can often find interesting issues which haven't been covered by the mainstream media.

Why on earth you'd bring up that issue on this topic is beyond me, but it does fit a pattern.

As ever, you vary your response to suit the agenda.
You had recently questioned where I got my news information from.
I told you that I listened to tv and radio news and internet articles, plus of course, this very forum.
You told me that those had articles those were filtered and editorialised.

Someone said that Trump can still use tv outlets to gets his views out and I asked whether those places put out filtered news, based on the lesson that you had only recently given me.

To be quite honest, I really don’t know why you chose to jump in and start explaining stuff that you had recently told me about.
I suppose that the pattern is that you feel the need to be dominant.
That fits.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 18, 2021, 06:59:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound.

It is REALLY simple. ALL news organisations choose which stories to cover. So you may not be exposed to a full range of stories and views if you limit your sources. But there are some stories which comfortably pass any editorial hurdle. This is one of them. EVERY new organisation is covering it. It was the second item on the Radio4 flagship news programme this morning. Type "Navalny" into Google and look at the News section.

Your implication that Trump making a statement on this would be filtered out is just wilfully stupid if that is what you meant. This is absolutely NOT the sort of thing I was talking about last week. I'm genuinely surprised if you genuinely don't get this.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 18, 2021, 07:13:25 pm by drfchound »
Hound.

It is REALLY simple. ALL news organisations choose which stories to cover. So you may not be exposed to a full range of stories and views if you limit your sources. But there are some stories which comfortably pass any editorial hurdle. This is one of them. EVERY new organisation is covering it. It was the second item on the Radio4 flagship news programme this morning. Type "Navalny" into Google and look at the News section.

Your implication that Trump making a statement on this would be filtered out is just wilfully stupid if that is what you meant. This is absolutely NOT the sort of thing I was talking about last week. I'm genuinely surprised if you genuinely don't get this.

I had to laugh at this response of yours.
As I have already said, it was YOU who said that tv news articles were filtered.
I had only said that I listened to tv etc news, you added the rest.
As you are so knowledgeable I used the information that you had put forward.

Crikey, I think you must have told me that news articles are filtered because at the time you said that it suited whatever argument you were wanting to have with me at that time, but now you are saying that not ALL news articles are filtered because it suits this latest confrontation that you want to have with me.

By the way, I don’t need to type Nalvalny into google as the news had a feature on him.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 18, 2021, 09:27:23 pm by ravenrover »
Ah, but did they have an article on that other Russian chappie, Navalny?  :blush:  :coat:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 18, 2021, 09:50:44 pm by drfchound »
LoL.  Maybe they filtered the L out of it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 18, 2021, 10:27:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Interesting.

Navalny's colleague has listed Russian billionaires who he says should have action taken against them under the Magnitsky Act.

Includes Abramovic and Usmanov who part bankrolls Everton .
https://mobile.twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1351210486914822153

The state of top end English football, eh?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 20, 2021, 02:51:32 pm by Metalmicky »
TBF Navalny isn't keeping his head down....

A video investigation by Russia's leading opposition figure that claims President Vladimir Putin spent illicit funds on an extravagant Black Sea palace has reached more than 20 million people within a day of publication.

Alexei Navalny's team released it after he was jailed on his return to Moscow.

The investigation alleges the property cost £1bn ($1.37bn) and was paid for "with the largest bribe in history".

The Kremlin denies the property belongs to the president.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55732296

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 20, 2021, 03:25:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I guess it is in his interests to stay front an centre of the news. That makes it less likely that he will unfortunately walk into a bullet or clumsily fall out of a hotel window, as Putin critics who haven't been making western news headlines are prone to do surprisingly regularly.

If Navalny suddenly dies in suspicious circumstances, there would now have to be massive retaliatory sanctions from the west.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 28, 2021, 02:30:43 am by SydneyRover »
''Garry Kasparov urges UK to impose sanctions on oligarchs close to Putin''

Wouldn't that mean that johnson himself plus many of his close associates would be wearing ankle bracelets and have to report daily to the local police station?

''Six members of Prime Minister Johnson’s Cabinet including Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Business Secretary Alok Sharma, as well as eight junior ministers, have received donations either personally or through their constituency parties from individuals or companies linked to Russia.

Senior Conservative members of Parliament Theresa Villiers and Mark Pritchard, who both sit on the Intelligence & Security Committee which this week published the long-awaited report into Russian interference, have received from the same sources,The Times of London reports''

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson
Chancellor Rishi Sunak
ex-Business Secretary Alok Sharma
Theresa Villiers
Mark Pritchard
+ Eight junior members.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/27/garry-kasparov-calls-on-uk-to-impose-sanctions-oligarchs-vladmiri-putin-alexei-navalny

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/russia-report-donors-boris-johnson-conservative-party-2020-7?r=US&IR=T

TinyPortal © 2005-2012