Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:13:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Moore got it wrong today  (Read 9860 times)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Moore got it wrong today
« Reply #30 on January 23, 2021, 05:41:05 pm by idler »
I think that his team selection was to stop them scoring and keep us in the game as long as possible. That went out of the window very early unfortunately.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 23, 2021, 05:50:47 pm by NewDonny »
I thought West Ham played very well today and shows the strength in depth but the side they put out was by no means packed with first team regulars - only 4 of the 11 have played regularly for them recently.

I was disappointed first half that we didn’t really look up for it and we gave them too much respect but to be fair we made more of a fight in the second half. We were second best to a better team so no real complaints from me.

Spot on. WHU put out a decent side and played some very nice intricate football from the kick off. Disappointing first half, better in the 2nd half, the occasion got the better of a few of the players but that doesn't make them bad players. Whilst it was important to give a good account of themselves today, the side will have been picked with the league position and coming fixtures in mind.

Personally, I feel the side is threadbare, lacks depth, more so now that Whiteman has moved on, and has one or two players in the squad that are not up to League one. But then again DM and his management team are doing an excellent job with what they have.

Just hope that they can keep their league form going and continue to push for the top spots. I for one will be willing them on week after week and will be delighted if they can get something from this season.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 07:43:04 pm by NewDonny »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 23, 2021, 05:54:26 pm by Campsall rover »
That team screamed of being scared. I understand that the squad is thin at the moment but as soon as we brought Taylor Richards on the pitch who wanted the ball at his feet and drive at West Ham we started to create. DM got it wrong today.
Did you want to win today or Tuesday because DM understood with a depleted side lack quality to pick from upfront , weakness through gaps midfield and lack of numbers over all to select from , so 4-0 was a good score if we win 2-0 on Tuesday in the league .

Oh my goodness - I find myself agreeing with since-1969. What on earth is happening with the world?
I think Moore got it spot on today if the plan was to get this game done and prepare for Tuesday.
Since-1969 must have changed identity.
I think he is one of the best posters over the last few months imo. There was a time i disagreed with nearly all his posts.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 23, 2021, 06:07:41 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
He seems to be managing Richards a little and that's understandable.  What's happened to other young loan players should tell the story, all of them have struggled with volume of games.

We all know we are short on bodies. I'm not sure what more the manager could do today.

There were positives. More fitness for Taylor and some of the youngsters will learn from a game against a team full of international quality.

The disappointment is understandable though. The goals were soft and some players didn't really get going. But equally they are never going to play at that level, the gap these days is crazy.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 23, 2021, 06:10:54 pm by Al4475 »
I really felt this morning that we stood a chance. West Ham clearly took the game seriously, kudos to them for doing so and showing us the respect to put a strong team out - they did to us what we did to fcum in the first round - took the game seriously, showed their class and got a very strong result in their favour.

All that said a goal inside the first two minutes was a kick in the teeth before we even got into the game.

Well played Whum, well done rovers for getting to round 4 again, now let's go get promotion from this league.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 23, 2021, 06:11:55 pm by Campsall rover »
Exactly BFYP
DM is not stupid he knows exactly what he is doing. Young players need managing in the right way and that is what he is doing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:21:36 pm by Campsall rover »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 23, 2021, 06:15:00 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Players will be rested, were not playing every player Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 23, 2021, 06:15:59 pm by Campsall rover »
You are going to take a bashing for this swain but I totally agree. Out with a whimper and not the look of a team who should be full of confidence. I dont think anybody expected a win but a fight would have been nice.
So we didn’t try then? Sorry can’t agree with you. We were up against a team focused on getting the job done and that is what they did. We gave it our best shot we were up against a very good team, high on confidence. Conceding so early certainly did not help.
Yes we looked better when Taylor-Richards and Simoes came on but DM picked the team based on fitness and with a heavy league programme ahead.
Seriously do you think we would have had a chance whatever our starting line up was today.
If a premier league team is focused as West Ham were then it isn’t going to make much difference.

Can I just ask how you know Moore picked the team based on "fitness and a heavy league programme"? Also yes conceding early killed us as you say. Therefore we went out with a whimper. Created next to nothing, team selection very negative. What do you want me to say? Can I just point out to you if you care to read my post again that I said i didnt expect to win. Do you really think we had a real go and gave a propper account of ourselves? If you do then im out.
Yes I do. We gave it it our best shot.
There is a massive gulf in the two squads. We were beaten by a better team end of imo.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 23, 2021, 06:18:54 pm by NickDRFC »
Exactly BFYP
DM isn’t stupid he knows exactly what he is doing. Young players need managing in the top right way and that is what he is doing.

Not saying that he’s done anything wrong here with Richards but Moore is still a relatively young, inexperienced manager - he’s going to make mistakes, regardless of how highly we all rate him.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 23, 2021, 06:20:40 pm by Spud »
I think that his team selection was to stop them scoring and keep us in the game as long as possible. That went out of the window very early unfortunately.

I thought exactly the same when I saw the line up, Richards & Simoes were on the bench ready for when we were ready to gamble. Like you say, all went out of the window after 90 seconds, ah well.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 23, 2021, 06:31:21 pm by graingrover »
Don’t like how the only post match thread has to have a heading like this ..just saying again .

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 23, 2021, 06:33:47 pm by Janso »
Don’t like how the only post match thread has to have a heading like this ..just saying again .

You don't like anything negative being said at all ..just saying

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 23, 2021, 06:35:20 pm by tyke1962 »
Yes it's the FA cup but in reality it isn't at this time .

In normal times Rovers are backed by 5k fans at The London Stadium and it's a good day out even if you lose 4-0 .

It will be the same for me should Chelsea progress tomorrow against Luton and set up a fifth round tie at Oakwell against ourselves .

An empty stadium and watching on tv doesn't quite do it for me Chelsea or not .

We just about accept the league games on our various devices but glamour FA cup ties against PL opposition is very frustrating .

It's what the FA cup is all about and we can't be there .

Very sad times .

I do take the point context should be in there but I'm sure you all know what I mean .

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 23, 2021, 06:37:09 pm by NickDRFC »

Start your own thread? For someone who professes to hate negativity you don’t half spend a lot of time being negative about posts and posters.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 23, 2021, 06:38:39 pm by Campsall rover »
Agreed graingrover.  DM picked that team with a lot of thought i would expect.
Yes I would like to have seen both TJ & Simoes start but he will have his reasons for not starting them.
Maybe 26 league games in the next 14 weeks might have had something to do with that.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on January 23, 2021, 06:39:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There was absolutely nothing going into that game that could work in our favour. It came at the worst possible time and was always going to be a case of damage limitation.

The only good thing that could happen, is coming out of the game with no injuries. Hopefully, we have achieved that.

Tuesday is a bigger game for us.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 23, 2021, 06:40:29 pm by Donnybax »
I agree DM got it wrong today. Too many square pegs in round holes. Halliday should have played RB etc. But with the limited squad we currently have his hands were somewhat tied

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 23, 2021, 06:48:27 pm by RoversAlias »
If Richards has a stormer on Tuesday night and we win, I'll be delighted that he rested him today. He has to manage these younger players for their minutes, and he had very little option in terms of rotation today. It is what it is, we were well beaten by a better side.

I wish we had shown more of our qualities but it was not to be. No need to get at the manager or any of the players in my opinion.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 23, 2021, 06:51:44 pm by pib »
I thought Richards would’ve made a big difference if he’d been in from the off but DM must have had his reasons.

We looked quite a bit brighter when he and Simoes came on.

I felt for Joe Wright. He did a decent job but playing full back is a completely different kettle of fish to centre half, and it can’t have been easy to have been thrown into that against the quality of player he was up against today.

In the end WHU didn’t have an off day, which we would’ve needed to get something, and I think we looked a bit overawed and didn’t do the basics right at times - the number of sloppy mistakes and passes we gave away at times, we would never see in a league game. Maybe the early goal knocked the stuffing out of us.

It was a shame to never really get a foot hold in the game but it’s hard to be too harsh given the difference in quality and money between the two squads.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 23, 2021, 06:54:39 pm by andyst79 »
I was frustrated at first when Richards didn't start and we were chasing shadows for long periods. I know the game was more or less lost when he came on but you've got to take the positives , hopefully there's elements we can take from the game and learn from also but he was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch when he was introduced and looks a real class act, hopefully he can carry those performances on in the league and drive us forward.

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 23, 2021, 07:10:50 pm by richtherover »
Don't think any of us seriously considered an upset today, just disappointed that we didn't give a good account of ourselves on the big stage. Not sure DM got it wrong. We played a Premier league club in form and were well beaten. As the old cliche says, we can now concentrate on the league. Onwards and upwards. RTID

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 23, 2021, 07:44:38 pm by rover-n-out »
After seeing Richards perform when he came on, I thought to myself, we can kiss goodbye to him at the end of his loan period, he's well out of our league, and was the only player of ours that didn't really look out of place up against WHU. A star in the making IMHO.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 23, 2021, 07:55:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
All this talk about how we should have started with Taylor Richards.

Anyone want to hazard a guess when was the last time he completed 90 minutes?

12 September last year.

Whatever the lad's talents (and they are plenty) an engine that keeps going Sat-Tues-Sat ain't one of them.

He is critical to the rest of our season. We have an insane run of fixtures coming up. Giving him a lung busting runaround for 70 mins today, then expecting him to run the match on Tuesday would have been rank bad management.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 23, 2021, 07:58:43 pm by Campsall rover »
A voice of reason BST
Pleased there are a few of us who can see the big picture.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 23, 2021, 08:05:50 pm by scawsby steve »
A voice of reason BST

So the rest of us don't know anything about football?

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 23, 2021, 08:08:26 pm by graingrover »
I find it is a much better philosophy in life rather  than to be constantly sounding like puffed up peacocks Janso .

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 23, 2021, 08:10:00 pm by Pancho Regan »
A voice of reason BST

Yes it must be wonderful to have your wisdom Campsall.

We are not worthy.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on January 23, 2021, 08:13:59 pm by Pancho Regan »
Campsall, you also said that we gave it our best shot.

That’s another cliche and it’s totally incorrect.

We didn’t give that our best shot. We have much better shots. We went out with a whimper, let’s have the guts to admit that.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 23, 2021, 08:15:54 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Taylor Richards will be a starter on Tuesday and so will Simoes.
Lokilo offers nothing and since his injury Taylor has looked nowhere near what we've seen him play like. Either could make way Tuesday

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on January 23, 2021, 08:27:45 pm by Janso »
I find it is a much better philosophy in life rather  than to be constantly sounding like puffed up peacocks Janso .

No you just prefer to make sly digs at people for no reason on a football forum.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012