Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:51:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The role of the Culture War  (Read 7313 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
The role of the Culture War
« on June 04, 2021, 01:22:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This is astonishing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1400396523188408321

Analysis of voting in the 2019 GE.

Basically, if you exclude the retired, Labour would have won a landslide. The only group in which the Tories would have beaten them is in people with household incomes >£100k.

But when you include the retired, the Tories won across the board, including among very poor retirees.

And we know from opinion polling that the retired are the most agitated by the Culture War. They, on average, are less supportive of foreigners, non-whites, people with non-conventional sexuality and basically, change in general.

So the Tories will relentlessly play on this. They are now the party of the reactionary old.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: The role of the Culture War
« Reply #1 on June 04, 2021, 01:31:30 pm by SydneyRover »
There's a lot of anecdotal evidence around these parts to support that too bst.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 04, 2021, 01:46:38 pm by MachoMadness »
I saw this yesterday. Kind of puts the "Labour lost the working class" meme to bed doesn't it?

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 04, 2021, 02:15:22 pm by Axholme Lion »
Labour are more interested in the shirking class than the working class.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 04, 2021, 02:54:08 pm by GazLaz »
Labour are more interested in the shirking class than the working class.

I’d rather a small percentage of money go to people that don’t want to work than a large percentage go to Boris’ cronies and subsidising millionaires and billionaires.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 04:45:20 pm by GazLaz »

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 04, 2021, 03:18:17 pm by albie »
This has been known about in Labour circles for a long time.

The astonishing bit is that Starmer thinks that a strategy of pitching to elderly home owners in former red wall seats is a reasonable tactic.

There is no possible pathway to power via this route.
It is even harder once the loss of Scottish seats and the boundary changes are taken into account.

Complete misdirection from the leadership, in my view.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 04, 2021, 03:51:18 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think it's a natural progression where people dispose of their "angry young man" attitude and tend to go more right-wing as they mature and base their political views on their experiences.

Of course, not everyone does take that normal route and some just go from "angry young man"  to "angry old man", and don't really progress at all.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 04, 2021, 04:07:26 pm by albie »
Much simpler than that, BB.

It is about the perception of self interest.
Elders who have worked hard to get their own house want to preserve the progress they think they have made.

There is a widespread belief that the Tories will support those groups on whose votes they rely, so they buy into the rest of the agenda to secure their material gains.

What is interesting is that it a myth that these groups will not also be targeted, particularly if you have a dependence on NHS services, or social care provision.

What you believe is more powerful than what is actually true.
Such are the sad times we are living in.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 04, 2021, 04:55:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
What is interesting is that it a myth that these groups will not also be targeted, particularly if you have a dependence on NHS services, or social care provision.

Or even if you had an interest in simply staying alive last winter, when 100,000 pensioners died early, many due to deliberate Govt policy.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 04, 2021, 05:14:04 pm by Bentley Bullet »
How many people died under the last Labour leadership due to deliberate Govt policy?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 04, 2021, 05:20:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
How many UK pensioners? I've no idea. I assume you do so why don't you tell us?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 04, 2021, 05:38:18 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Oh, so it's only citizens of the UK's lives' that count is it? I wonder what you'd have called me if I'd have said that!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 04, 2021, 05:41:30 pm by Bentley Bullet »
....And while we're at it, how many UK pensioners would have died in Starmer's watch under the EU vaccine programme that he was so eager to sign onto?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 04, 2021, 05:44:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Oh, so it's only citizens of the UK's lives' that count is it? I wonder what you'd have called me if I'd have said that!
No. It's UK pensioners that we are discussing. Stop moving the goalposts.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 04, 2021, 05:45:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Meanwhile, back on theme and right on cue, the new Tory MP for Ashfield is having a meltdown about the England football team taking a knee. And so it goes on ...

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 04, 2021, 05:48:29 pm by tyke1962 »
This is astonishing.

Basically, if you exclude the retired, Labour would have won a landslide. The only group in which the Tories would have beaten them is in people with household incomes >£100k.

But when you include the retired, the Tories won across the board, including among very poor retirees.

And we know from opinion polling that the retired are the most agitated by the Culture War. They, on average, are less supportive of foreigners, non-whites, people with non-conventional sexuality and basically, change in general.

So the Tories will relentlessly play on this. They are now the party of the reactionary old.

Alternatively , maybe the Labour Party is just a middle class pressure group these days .

https://www.ft.com/content/9d09e0d6-a456-4b09-98e8-9efafdd709ad

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 04, 2021, 05:52:22 pm by Bentley Bullet »
No. It's UK pensioners that we are discussing. Stop moving the goalposts.

We are discussing the role of the culture war. I'm suggesting a reason as to why the older, more mature UK citizens vote more right-wing as an alternative to your accusation of them being racist, greedy and homophobic.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 04, 2021, 06:17:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And once again BB drags an important discussion into the shit. I didn't make any such accusations. f**king grow up for once.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 04, 2021, 06:27:11 pm by Bentley Bullet »
And so the insults begin! Who needs to give answers when a good old insult will do!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 04, 2021, 08:20:32 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
*irony overload*

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 04, 2021, 08:51:00 pm by scawsby steve »
There's a lot of anecdotal evidence around these parts to support that too bst.

"These parts"? Do you mean in Aussie, or on this forum?

If it's on this forum, let's see some examples.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 04, 2021, 10:01:20 pm by tyke1962 »
Meanwhile, back on theme and right on cue, the new Tory MP for Ashfield is having a meltdown about the England football team taking a knee. And so it goes on ...

So what ??

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 04, 2021, 10:12:45 pm by drfchound »
I wonder if all those fans at Middlesbrough who booed the players taking the knee were all conservative voters.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 04, 2021, 10:14:32 pm by drfchound »
This is astonishing.

I remember Derek Adams saying that Plymouth would be top of the league if Tuesday games weren’t included in the table.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 04, 2021, 10:20:26 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I wonder if all those fans at Middlesbrough who booed the players taking the knee were all conservative voters.
Wash your mouth out, Hound, of course, they were! All Tory supporters are racists and all Labour supporters are squeaky clean and perfectly wonderful.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 04, 2021, 10:38:26 pm by tyke1962 »
Wash your mouth out, Hound, of course, they were! All Tory supporters are racists and all Labour supporters are squeaky clean and perfectly wonderful.

Forgetting Labour foreign policies killed millions of muslims in their own country .

It's a remarkable irony .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 04, 2021, 10:47:58 pm by SydneyRover »
I'll post this up again, a study that shows when people become wealthy, which is relative I guess they tend to vote more conservatively to protect it, which can be described as pulling up the ladder.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/research/workingpapers/2014/twerp_1039_oswald.pdf

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 04, 2021, 10:52:43 pm by Bentley Bullet »
So if that's the case it would be detrimental for the Labour party to have a policy of people getting wealthy.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 04, 2021, 10:56:45 pm by drfchound »
So if that's the case it would be detrimental for the Labour party to have a policy of people getting wealthy.

Precisely.
Why would anyone want to vote for a Party that didn’t help them to improve their lifestyle.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 04, 2021, 10:59:51 pm by SydneyRover »

Precisely.
Why would anyone want to vote for a Party that didn’t help them to improve their lifestyle.

No not precisely as 2 =2 still doesn't equal three, and if you can show where labour have worked to stop people improving their lifestyle it would go a long way to making your argument credible hound.

It's always been a conundrum for labour but one which they have to work with and appeal to voters that want to share a country's wealth equitably and show the the benefits of taking that route.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012