Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:02:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/Euros Thread  (Read 37841 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: England/Euros Thread
« Reply #300 on June 22, 2021, 11:59:17 am by GazLaz »
A bit of piss taking at work is not bullying, thats tame compared to some of the piss taking in my working life, by and with lifelong friends

Definitely not a lack of material for them.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #301 on June 22, 2021, 12:51:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
1990 we did.
agree.
We really only had one performance in 1990 where an excellent group of players really gelled and that was the semi against West Germany.

We were awful vs Ireland. Did reasonably well vs Holland. Laboured against Egypt and a not particularly strong Belgium, then very nearly ballsed it up vs Cameroon. With that run of matches and a squad including Shilton, Walker, Pearce, Gascoigne, Barnes, Waddle, Lineker and Beardsley, a run to the semis was no more than par and we made very hard work of it.

1982 stands out for me as the only time we really gelled as a side and but for the injuries to Keegan and Brooking, I think we could well have won the cup that year.

Was talking about the New Order song.

D'oh!

Stupid me. And of course it goes without saying that World in Motion is the greatest football song ever, full stop. Peter Hook was talking about it on the radio last week. he was asked how they went about making a great football song. he said "We didn't go about making a great football song. We just did what we did better than anybody, which is to make a great song. Which just happened to be about football." Bang on.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #302 on June 22, 2021, 01:00:20 pm by Draytonian III »
I tend to agree with BST on this one. For some reason, other countries seem to produce endless players with natural technical ability at world level whereas we produce them now and again.

Since Bobby Charlton, I can only think of Trevor Francis, Glen Hoddle, Paul Gascoigne, Matt Le Tissier, Wayne Rooney, and maybe Phil Foden and Jack Grealish.

I'm sure there are others I haven't mentioned, but not that many.

Oh how quickly we forget. In no particular order:-

Bobby Moore
Peter Beardsley
Frank Lampard
Steven Gerrard
Paul Scholes
Peter Barnes
Chris Waddle
Gary Linekar
Colin Bell
Jimmy Greaves
David Beckham
Michael Owen
Alan Shearer
Trevor Brooking
Kevin Keegan
Ian Wright
Marcus Rashford
Mick Channon
Steve Coppell

Ashley Cole

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #303 on June 22, 2021, 01:07:14 pm by Redandwhite »
A bit of piss taking at work is not bullying, thats tame compared to some of the piss taking in my working life, by and with lifelong friends

I know what it looked like . Imo it was bullying. 

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #304 on June 22, 2021, 01:09:39 pm by Redandwhite »
It's all mentality. 
England have never managed to play as a team, closest recently was euro 96 .

The clip of grealish and henderson bullying foden highlights it. It wasn't banter .
If your taking the piss out of someone, Infront of them, without looking at them , ignoring them and not joking WITH them, then that's bullying. 

I feel the England team need more/ better mental coaches.  It should really be part of their training from a young age .

They are huge rivals at their clubs, and need to get past that to gel as a team for England. 

They are very weak mentally .

As I said, if you think that’s bullying then there’s thousands of cases at football clubs on a daily basis.
And millions of workplaces across the country will also have the same banter.
It depends on the circumstances, and how the person feels .
Bullying lasts a long time .

It needs cracking down on.
Grealish is obviously mentally weak, and resentful of fodens achievements at a young age .

Foden probably doesn't like grealish and Henderson now .
Hardly a great team spirit there 

I will say this though, if that's your attitude, then your part of the problem .

Lots of absolute made up nonsense in there,
Foden probably hates grealish
Grealish is envious of foden

It was a joke about what suit they wore for the champions league final, to suggest foden will be upset about that is laughable

To dismiss mental health like that and issues aurrounding potential bullying, suggests to me you need to give your head a wobble .

Luckily dinosaurs like you are getting few and far between .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #305 on June 22, 2021, 01:45:23 pm by dickos1 »
Get a grip mate,
It’s a joke about losing a football match.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #306 on June 22, 2021, 05:25:54 pm by Janso »
It's all mentality. 
England have never managed to play as a team, closest recently was euro 96 .

The clip of grealish and henderson bullying foden highlights it. It wasn't banter .
If your taking the piss out of someone, Infront of them, without looking at them , ignoring them and not joking WITH them, then that's bullying. 

I feel the England team need more/ better mental coaches.  It should really be part of their training from a young age .

They are huge rivals at their clubs, and need to get past that to gel as a team for England. 

They are very weak mentally .

As I said, if you think that’s bullying then there’s thousands of cases at football clubs on a daily basis.
And millions of workplaces across the country will also have the same banter.
It depends on the circumstances, and how the person feels .
Bullying lasts a long time .

It needs cracking down on.
Grealish is obviously mentally weak, and resentful of fodens achievements at a young age .

Foden probably doesn't like grealish and Henderson now .
Hardly a great team spirit there 

I will say this though, if that's your attitude, then your part of the problem .

Lots of absolute made up nonsense in there,
Foden probably hates grealish
Grealish is envious of foden

It was a joke about what suit they wore for the champions league final, to suggest foden will be upset about that is laughable

To dismiss mental health like that and issues aurrounding potential bullying, suggests to me you need to give your head a wobble .

Luckily dinosaurs like you are getting few and far between .

Careful you don't fall over, you're reaching a bit.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #307 on June 22, 2021, 05:42:16 pm by PDX_Rover »
I had a dream that England won 5-1 tonight. Mist be the cider.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #308 on June 22, 2021, 06:56:48 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
I had a dream that England won 5-1 tonight. Mist be the cider.

obviously a one cidered match  :coat:

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #309 on June 22, 2021, 07:19:25 pm by NickDRFC »
Another swashbuckling selection from Gareth Southsafe. Hope it clicks and we put on a show but again I really don’t think the team needs Rice and Phillips.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on June 22, 2021, 07:37:08 pm by DonnyNoel »
Another swashbuckling selection from Gareth Southsafe. Hope it clicks and we put on a show but again I really don’t think the team needs Rice and Phillips.

I think Grealish will operate higher than Mount though so it could be more adventurous by virtue of that - possibly more of a 4-2-3-1 than 4-3-3. TBF I thought it would be Rice, Phillips and Henderson so I can't really complain!

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #311 on June 22, 2021, 07:48:44 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Sancho has been one of the best players in Germany for a couple of seasons now. I know Saka has done well at Arsenal but Sancho should be in ahead of him.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #312 on June 22, 2021, 08:15:23 pm by drfchound »
Brilliant by Grealish and Sterling is Johnny on the spot again.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #313 on June 22, 2021, 08:34:48 pm by scawsby steve »
I tend to agree with BST on this one. For some reason, other countries seem to produce endless players with natural technical ability at world level whereas we produce them now and again.

Since Bobby Charlton, I can only think of Trevor Francis, Glen Hoddle, Paul Gascoigne, Matt Le Tissier, Wayne Rooney, and maybe Phil Foden and Jack Grealish.

I'm sure there are others I haven't mentioned, but not that many.

Oh how quickly we forget. In no particular order:-

Bobby Moore
Peter Beardsley
Frank Lampard
Steven Gerrard
Paul Scholes
Peter Barnes
Chris Waddle
Gary Linekar
Colin Bell
Jimmy Greaves
David Beckham
Michael Owen
Alan Shearer
Trevor Brooking
Kevin Keegan
Ian Wright
Marcus Rashford
Mick Channon
Steve Coppell

Forget what? Apart from Bobby Moore, none of those players achieved at World Cup level, or even Euros level, which was my point.

Yes, very good players, but not in the same class as the likes of Iniesta and Xavi.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #314 on June 22, 2021, 08:46:29 pm by drfchound »
The commentator at the England game has no idea what some of the rules are.
A pass by Grealish hit the ref and Lee Dixon had to explain what happens next then the keeper parries a shot, Sterling is offside and so doesn’t go for the rebound and the commentator says no one is paying attention.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #315 on June 22, 2021, 09:00:54 pm by Padge_DRFC »
The commentator at the England game has no idea what some of the rules are.
A pass by Grealish hit the ref and Lee Dixon had to explain what happens next then the keeper parries a shot, Sterling is offside and so doesn’t go for the rebound and the commentator says no one is paying attention.

Got rid of Clive Tyldsley for him!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #316 on June 22, 2021, 09:01:36 pm by drfchound »
Bad decision that then.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #317 on June 22, 2021, 09:02:11 pm by belton rover »
Saka and Grealish are bringing this baby home for us xx

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #318 on June 22, 2021, 09:05:37 pm by drfchound »
I think that if England were losing there would be more posts on here.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #319 on June 22, 2021, 09:15:02 pm by belton rover »
Too many negative Nancy’s, Hound.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #320 on June 22, 2021, 09:42:24 pm by EasyforDennis »
Anyone thinking England can win this competition are seriously deluded.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #321 on June 22, 2021, 09:47:39 pm by NickDRFC »
Played well in flashes first half and a big step up from Friday, Saka also showed what a player he is but overall pretty flat and uninspiring. Hopefully we continue to grow but I can’t realistically see us beating one of France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Portugal or Netherlands let alone several of them without a huge slice of luck and/or a lot of improvement.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #322 on June 22, 2021, 09:56:03 pm by Filo »
No chance of beating any of the big hitters playing like that, another borefest!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #323 on June 22, 2021, 09:57:42 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
No chance of beating any of the big hitters playing like that, another borefest!

Disagree. We will get more space against the bigger teams. We've played teams doing to England what Rochdale etc do to rovers.  Bigger teams won't do that and we will be good on the counter.

It's ironic though we were bigged up as an attacking force yet it's the defence that's been good.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #324 on June 22, 2021, 09:58:51 pm by steve@dcfd »
Won the group no goals conceded and Scotland finish last in the group their final was at Wembley and they couldn’t win. Now one of the big boys so wil see if they are still borwin next Tuesday

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #325 on June 22, 2021, 09:59:10 pm by NickDRFC »

Disagree. We will get more space against the bigger teams. We've played teams doing to England what Rochdale etc do to rovers.  Bigger teams won't do that and we will be good on the counter.

It's ironic though we were bigged up as an attacking force yet it's the defence that's been good.

The defence hasn’t been troubled. World of difference keeping Che Adams at bay to Ronaldo or Immobile.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #326 on June 22, 2021, 10:00:25 pm by sha66y »
I’m undecided if England managed that very boring pedestrian second half or were just not tested by a team that had more possession…

If they get past the next round I will be quite shocked, France, Germany or Portugal will be more inclined to be the dominant team …. And I doubt we have the team to win…some individuals are clearly talented, but there is definitely something missing

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #327 on June 22, 2021, 10:04:26 pm by normal rules »
Neville is deluded if he thinks England will
Win the comp by being professional
And keeping clean sheets . There won’t be an England clean sheet next week at Wembley

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #328 on June 22, 2021, 10:05:12 pm by drfchound »
I’m undecided if England managed that very boring pedestrian second half or were just not tested by a team that had more possession…

If they get past the next round I will be quite shocked, France, Germany or Portugal will be more inclined to be the dominant team …. And I doubt we have the team to win…some individuals are clearly talented, but there is definitely something missing

…..says the man who tipped Scotland to go all the way in the tournament.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #329 on June 22, 2021, 10:19:44 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

The defence hasn’t been troubled. World of difference keeping Che Adams at bay to Ronaldo or Immobile.

Agree, but to counter it, much harder to break down a back ten than a team looking to beat you and committing 5 attackers forwards.  All of a sudden Kane doesn't have 3 on him and grealish is 1vs1 not 1vs3....

TinyPortal © 2005-2012