Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:53:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Who's golng tonight?  (Read 8956 times)

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
Re: Who's golng tonight?
« Reply #120 on July 29, 2021, 08:22:18 am by EasyforDennis »
Whose decision was it to close 2 of the 3 exits in the west stand and force everyone into a bottleneck at the north end of the stand? Covid? What Covid?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on July 29, 2021, 08:22:56 am by dickos1 »
Strange that nobody has yet mentioned that we still havn’t got 11 players who we an say are our first 11.

Make no bones about it, that was shocking tonight. Yes, they were PL last season, but we could neither get the ball off them or, when we did, we kept it for no more than 3 or 4 passes! If that’s going to be our identity, then I’ll pass.

The gulf in class is/was alarming. Thank goodness it was a friendly.

But, where do we go from here? We can’t afford Reed and he was totally found out tonight and Jones as No1 - give over. We have a major problem from back to front and it comes down to what we can and can’t afford.

Long season ahead. Get ready.

After the Newcastle game Alan you were saying how much you enjoyed the performance, yet one game later you’re throwing your toys out the pram again.
Pre season is all about getting ready for the season, one bad performance doesn’t mean it’s all a disaster.
Next season we’re going to have lots of bad performances, all sides will.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on July 29, 2021, 08:25:10 am by DRNaith »
Whose decision was it to close 2 of the 3 exits in the west stand and force everyone into a bottleneck at the north end of the stand? Covid? What Covid?

We exited at the south end of the west stand. They only closed the middle exit, to accommodate a "red zone", COVID exclusion.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on July 29, 2021, 08:30:38 am by Chris Black come back »
Reed is clearly a decent player but all the pant wetting last week from people insisting that if we didn’t sign him then this was biggest mistake we had made since Keegan, was always mystifying and a bit embarrassing really.

He’s a decent player who will add to the squad, but our season doesn’t hang on whether we give him a deal. Very odd.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on July 29, 2021, 08:37:12 am by DonnyOsmond »
I think with Reed, he's just the player Wellens thought he was, a decent passer of the ball but not the physical defensive midfielder he initially mentioned we required. I think Wellens was starting to think Reed could do that job but games like yesterday amplify that that is one thing we are missing, just like last season.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on July 29, 2021, 08:45:05 am by andy didcott »
Still not sure who the player stretchered of was, hope he’s ok.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on July 29, 2021, 08:48:35 am by Campsall rover »
Some really crazy posts on here after losing to possibly the best team in the Championship IN A FRIENDLY.

Bit of reality needed. How can people say how good our players are last Friday and they are rubbish 5 days later.

Quite unbelievable. Let us see where we are at end of August.
Some good tests ahead.
Wimbledon, Wednesday, Pompey, Millers and a trip to Accrington where we have not won yet.
They are the important games, not Blades in a friendly. It is a practice fitness match that is all it was.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:05:37 am by Campsall rover »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on July 29, 2021, 08:50:06 am by NickDRFC »
Reed is clearly a decent player but all the pant wetting last week from people insisting that if we didn’t sign him then this was biggest mistake we had made since Keegan, was always mystifying and a bit embarrassing really.

He’s a decent player who will add to the squad, but our season doesn’t hang on whether we give him a deal. Very odd.

Did anyone actually say anything like that? I seem to remember one or two saying something along the lines of it’s a missed opportunity if we fail to sign him but nothing on the scale you’ve mentioned.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on July 29, 2021, 08:54:32 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The point for me is that for the team do we need Reed? We have Close,.Smith, Bostock all good passers of the ball but we do lack someone with a tackle to protect the back 4.  It was the obvious weakness last night.  If it's Reed or another who could tackle, it's another option for me.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on July 29, 2021, 08:59:16 am by the vicar »
Still not sure who the player stretchered of was, hope he’s ok.
it was a trialists and he went straight to hospital

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on July 29, 2021, 09:09:03 am by EasyforDennis »
It was Jayden Onen

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on July 29, 2021, 09:09:57 am by GazLaz »
The point for me is that for the team do we need Reed? We have Close,.Smith, Bostock all good passers of the ball but we do lack someone with a tackle to protect the back 4.  It was the obvious weakness last night.  If it's Reed or another who could tackle, it's another option for me.

I think Rowe will end up playing in there. He will be good at left back but feels like a luxury to have him playing there.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on July 29, 2021, 09:16:14 am by steve@dcfd »

I think Rowe will end up playing in there. He will be good at left back but feels like a luxury to have him playing there.
In Richies interview last night on Radio Sheffield he says he wants Rowey at LB he has so much to offer playing there. He also wants a different player for DM maybe he won’t get that  one if money is tight.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:18:48 am by steve@dcfd »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on July 29, 2021, 09:42:50 am by Chris Black come back »

I was thinking this last night when Rowe starting coming inside in second half. Could try and make Cam John a full time left back, especially if we bring in another centre back on loan. Does seem a waste to not have Rowe more central.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on July 29, 2021, 09:44:17 am by DonnyOsmond »

I was thinking this last night when Rowe starting coming inside in second half. Could try and make Cam John a full time left back, especially if we bring in another centre back on loan. Does seem a waste to not have Rowe more central.

But then you're putting a quality center back in a role he's poor in.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on July 29, 2021, 09:47:21 am by the vicar »
Some really crazy posts on here after losing to possibly the best team in the Championship IN A FRIENDLY.

Bit of reality needed. How can people say how good our players are last Friday and they are rubbish 5 days later.

Some good tests ahead.
Wimbledon, Wednesday, Pompey, Millers and a trip to Accrington where we have not won yet.
They are the important games, not Blades in a friendly. It is a practice fitness match that is all it was.

campsall mate it’s not losing to them thats the problem it’s the none way we played, and we was crap all over the pitch.  The black trialists number 20 was our worst enemy as he kept looking the ball, keeper making a blunder, Reed was not good just to name 3

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on July 29, 2021, 09:51:43 am by Chris Black come back »

I don’t think he was poor there but granted he had a few dodgy games last season in what was generally an abysmal defensive unit.

This is a broader point but we need to decide how we are going to use Cam John. It doesn’t appear we have a long term plan for him as either a centre back or left back. He’s probably played as much in both since we signed him permanently. For me his concentration means building defence around him at centre back probably isn’t right. He is also a real threat charging forward which he can do more easily from left back.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on July 29, 2021, 09:57:59 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Some good tests ahead.

campsall mate it’s not losing to them thats the problem it’s the none way we played, and we was crap all over the pitch.  The black trialists number 20 was our worst enemy as he kept looking the ball, keeper making a blunder, Reed was not good just to name 3

Not surprising the 'none' way we played with such a mish mash of a team we had out last night.

As you say, the white triallist no 3 didn't have a great game but with the players around him, his passing options were more limited so I wouldn't draw as much of a negative conclusion .

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on July 29, 2021, 10:00:56 am by DonnyOsmond »
My favourite was the blue trialist.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on July 29, 2021, 10:01:07 am by Filo »
I don’t get people losing their shit over a meaningless friendly, Sheff Utd are a very good team, that was not far off their starting 11, they will be in amongst it next season

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on July 29, 2021, 10:02:06 am by Metalmicky »

I preferred the orange one.....

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on July 29, 2021, 10:02:56 am by DonnyOsmond »

Forrester?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on July 29, 2021, 10:07:42 am by Metalmicky »

Forrester?

Forgot about him  :lol: - wonder if he is still playing for Orange County...?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on July 29, 2021, 11:14:02 am by Campsall rover »

Some good tests ahead.

Dave because we were poor on the night does not mean we are not good enough to compete at the right end of the table in League 1
We played a team who were superior to us, simple as that. They have just had 2 seasons a in the best league in the world.
Did you seriously expect our players to be on a level with theirs. 
We did unbelievably well against Newcastle but not so well last night. That’s Football. We will have some bad performances in the league also.
If we are going to go into meltdown every time we lose a game then there are going to be a few over the next 9 months.
As long as we win more than we lose this season I will be quite contented. We may well do considerably better than that.
Let RW get on with building the squad and give him time to mould them into a unit that will be successful.

Let’s remember the SOD team only finished 11th in his 1st season. Then look what happened.

Time is needed. We are definitely in good hands. The man at the helm in my eyes know exactly where he wants to go and how he is going to achieve it.

Patience please.  :that:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on July 29, 2021, 12:28:42 pm by dickos1 »

Some good tests ahead.

It was one game mate,
Against Newcastle we played well,

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on July 29, 2021, 12:31:06 pm by RoversAlias »

I don’t think he was poor there but granted he had a few dodgy games last season in what was generally an abysmal defensive unit.

This is a broader point but we need to decide how we are going to use Cam John. It doesn’t appear we have a long term plan for him as either a centre back or left back. He’s probably played as much in both since we signed him permanently. For me his concentration means building defence around him at centre back probably isn’t right. He is also a real threat charging forward which he can do more easily from left back.

Direct quote from Wellens last night, when discussing John basically as being the alternate LB option on occasions we push Rowe into midfield:

"We see Cameron John as a centre half"

So that is where his focus is going forward. The hope is that we won't need to alternate from Rowe as LB.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on July 29, 2021, 02:14:51 pm by steve@dcfd »
He also said Cam John needed more time on the pitch was wouldn’t surprise me if he started on Sunday as a centre half. That would whose be dependent on whose available for centre midfield on Sunday.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on July 29, 2021, 03:10:14 pm by Campsall rover »
He also said Cam John needed more time on the pitch was wouldn’t surprise me if he started on Sunday as a centre half. That would whose be dependent on whose available for centre midfield on Sunday.
We have Horton for left back also if required.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on July 29, 2021, 03:25:59 pm by steve@dcfd »
We have Horton for left back also if required.
You are right but it’s whether deems him ready to play. He along with Hasani were the only two young lands in the squads last night.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on July 29, 2021, 03:26:53 pm by the vicar »

Some good tests ahead.

Dave because we were poor on the night does not mean we are not good enough to compete at the right end of the table in League 1
We played a team who were superior to us, simple as that. They have just had 2 seasons a in the best league in the world.
Did you seriously expect our players to be on a level with theirs. 
We did unbelievably well against Newcastle but not so well last night. That’s Football. We will have some bad performances in the league also.
If we are going to go into meltdown every time we lose a game then there are going to be a few over the next 9 months.
As long as we win more than we lose this season I will be quite contented. We may well do considerably better than that.
Let RW get on with building the squad and give him time to mould them into a unit that will be successful.

Let’s remember the SOD team only finished 11th in his 1st season. Then look what happened.

Time is needed. We are definitely in good hands. The man at the helm in my eyes know exactly where he wants to go and how he is going to achieve it.

Patience please.  :that:
no I did not Campsall nether do I expect us to be as good as them, but I don’t expect our players to go missing and losing the ball so cheaply and Jones gifting them a goal

TinyPortal © 2005-2012