Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 12:56:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Rotherham United game  (Read 3993 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Rotherham United game
« on August 25, 2021, 10:02:13 am by selby »
  Along with Barnsley our oldest foes, and a team to be respected for what they have achieved over the last few years, gaining two promotions, although like other teams finding it a step too far to actually keep a presence in the Championship on what to lots of teams are limited financial resources compared with many of the teams at that level.
  A proper local derby with the clubs being so close to each other and the Conisborough and Mexborough area particularly historically being the home of supporters of both clubs as well as Barnsley and the Sheffield clubs.
  Like ourselves Rotherham depend largely on a local business man benefactor who I have heard come under the same insane criticism on radio Sheffield when things are not going well as our benefactor comes under when things don't go well, mostly from people I expect sitting on the sofa in their council house without two half pennies to scratch their arse with wanting someone else to spend millions for their gratification.
  Paul Warne the manager has done a great job on limited recourses, has a somewhat basic style of play getting the ball forward quickly, and insists on his players being as fit as physically possible and play a high tempo game which they try to impose on the opposition.
  So a hard game in prospect, local bragging rights at stake which gives the game an extra edge, and a decent crowd in attendance which some of our young side might not be that used to.
  Wood seems to go on for ever at the heart of their defence  and Smith, with his size and presence has  given us trouble in defence in seasons past, and although Sadlier has rarely shown the form he showed when playing for us which is more down to their style of play and not his ability ( I thought at the time he was going to the wrong club) and could well be a thorne in our side given the chance.
  The signs are that our manager is slowly getting a tune out of our team who have improved with every game although work in progress. Bostock I expect to come under intense pressure if he plays being our fulcrum of play and will be the target for their physical midfield, and our lack of punch in front of goal is a problem that needs addressing and will take time, Chuker lacks experience but will improve, Barlow is skillful and a clever player, and we need players back from injury in that area, and an addition as well which we look to be working on.
  Can we pinch what looks an unlikely result?
  Is this a game you are going to?
  Are you seeing progress in the team?
  Do you see Rotherham as promotion contenders once again?
  Have you a friendly rivalry with a friend who supports Rotherham?
  Does the result of this game mean more to you than other games?
  Lots to discuss about this game, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the Rotherham United game
« Reply #1 on August 25, 2021, 11:28:23 am by roversdude »
Having breakfast with a Rovrum supporting mate and then onto the game. Really looking forward to this but I think it’s just come too soon in the disrupted season to expect anything. Would be thrilled if we get a draw. Can definitely see Richies ethos starting to be embedded in the team

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 25, 2021, 11:37:22 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
No doubt we'll be under severe pressure from balls into the box either from open play or set pieces.

We will certainly have to work hard to keep the ball off them for long periods but will it be long enough, particularly if we tire in the last 10 to 15 mins.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 25, 2021, 11:40:13 am by steve@dcfd »
It will be a hard game they have big strong players  they have come down from the Championship and retained  22 players with that experience. What ever team we play we will be out muscled last nights glorified training game will be nothing to this game. Richie will pick the best players he has available we don’t want or need any more longer term injuries.

Friendly Miller

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 25, 2021, 12:00:14 pm by Friendly Miller »
We’ve been playing very well, in fact we’re top ranked in crosses per game, dribbles per game, shots per game, preventing shots per game and xG (although I’ve no idea what xG is)

All of which means nothing if you can’t score!

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 25, 2021, 12:46:00 pm by danumdon »
These are the type of teams we will always struggle against, they make no bones about the tactics, straight up in your face and will try to run through you or over you, meanwhile they have some neat midfield players who can ghost onto the ball when you least expect and catch you out.

How do we approach this game. RW has many issues to juggle just now and this will really test his planning and strategy. I’m hoping we have some good news regarding the walking wounded we need John and Williams to be on song for this, they will test us early and we need to match them, if we do, and I have a nagging feeling we will turn up then we have a chance.with Knoyle And Horton at full back we have some decent cover and attacking noise.

Midfield for us will be where we can win this, if we get the balance right, again we need luck with players carrying knocks but if all are available I would go with Galbraith and Bostock holding with Rowe, Close and Seaman in front with Culkar up top.

When we look at those names many look like they are on their last legs already with injuries and niggles, if I was RW I would seriously be wanting some xplainations on out fitness and conditioning regime for a few seasons now we have looked undercooked , at this level for a side who want to trade on technical ability we need to be at optimum fitness to compete our we just get run over.

Overall, this is a derby game which overrides some of their advantage so we need to be fully on it to have a chance of a result, a good turn out from us will help massively in their stadium which I think is a cracking place to watch a derby match.. Draw here would be acceptable but to gain that we have to set out for a win, if we setup for a draw we will lose. If we can maintain our every match improvement I can see us doing well.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 25, 2021, 02:30:43 pm by sha66y »
We aren’t ready yet…..getting there but silly knock backs are interrupting the flow…

A loss of perhaps 1-0 ,

But I could be very wrong!!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 25, 2021, 05:23:17 pm by the vicar »
For this I think we are on a hiding to nothing with not many players available

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 25, 2021, 05:52:10 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Hopefully players like Galbraith, Bostock, Ro-Shaun Williams and Cukur will be back available for this game. Don’t think John will be back and tbf after last nights performance Blythe did himself no harm and has put himself in contention for Saturday anyway.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 26, 2021, 10:04:43 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
A full blooded performance with bodies on the line with minimal injuries would do for me.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 26, 2021, 10:59:28 am by danumdon »
A full blooded performance with bodies on the line with minimal injuries would do for me.

I can always remember SOD's first derby game with us, think it was against Scunthorpe? he came at it as if it was just another game and seemed a bit surprised when he got dogs abuse from the fans due to the very nature of the fixture and how fans always want their club to play well but against a local rival it has to be proper bodies on the line and the manager has to singing from the same song sheet.

I don't think that RW will have any issues in that department, he knows full well what a match of this sort means to everybody at the club.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 26, 2021, 11:47:19 am by Monkcaster_Rover »

I can always remember SOD's first derby game with us, think it was against Scunthorpe? he came at it as if it was just another game and seemed a bit surprised when he got dogs abuse from the fans due to the very nature of the fixture and how fans always want their club to play well but against a local rival it has to be proper bodies on the line and the manager has to singing from the same song sheet.

I don't think that RW will have any issues in that department, he knows full well what a match of this sort means to everybody at the club.

Ah, the infamous game where we had to wear their shorts. Awful from start to finish.

Agreed on the Richie front. I'm not expecting much Saturday but if the lads work hard - who knows what could happen?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 26, 2021, 05:57:17 pm by roversdude »
Personally I think with the injuries we should do a Bolton and not turn up

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 26, 2021, 06:21:28 pm by vaya »

It's an early kick off. We could just turn up for 3pm and pretend we'd not realised. Job done.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 27, 2021, 08:34:06 am by steve@dcfd »
Doesn’t look as though any loan signings will be finalised before today but we are talking to a forward Trialist about non contract terms so that person might be available and maybe we looking at giving terms to a highly rated young defensive Trialist this is in an article from Liam this morning.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 27, 2021, 08:47:18 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I have to be honest I've zero optimism for tomorrow. We are playing a derby game with pretty much a total second 11 after 2 wins out of 22 and still no new signings.  I can see why people are not going to the game, it's not even a decent day out.

But, I'm still going just because it might be that surprising day, there is that small chance.

Friendly Miller

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 27, 2021, 10:07:26 am by Friendly Miller »
You never know in football. Last season we had to play Barnsley with most of our squad out with Covid, we all thought we get thrashed 6 or 7 nil.
In the end we were very unlucky in a 2-1 defeat.
I reckon tomorrow will be tighter than some of you guys think. 

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 27, 2021, 01:35:09 pm by German Rover »

It's an early kick off. We could just turn up for 3pm and pretend we'd not realised. Job done.

Worked well for the estonians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EdBhMhA_9Y

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 27, 2021, 01:42:46 pm by andyst79 »
I'm predicting a 1-0 victory courtesy of an og

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 27, 2021, 02:58:04 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Worked well for the estonians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EdBhMhA_9Y

easy solution just turn up for a 1 pm "New York" time kick off   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/new-york

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 27, 2021, 05:10:21 pm by Retdon1 »
Doesn’t look promising that we could have a couple of new additions to the squad for tomorrow. Would have thought we would of announced it by now

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 27, 2021, 05:12:18 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
25 yarder from Seaman and a nice little side footer into the corner from Barlow then batten down the hatches and see what happens!

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 27, 2021, 07:17:37 pm by danumdon »
After defending for all the match,

Our striker(fill in the details when known) misses a shot at goal from 6 yards, it hits the post.

Their big defender (could be anyone from 2 to 11) hoofs it down the field,

Our midfield fails to trap the ball and it goes wide to the wing,

Their winger crosses it in under to bar,

Dahlberg who was standing 1.5 microns to far over catches the ball ! then drops it on the goalline !!

Our  central defender (answers on a postcard please) hoofs it upfield, it catches the wind.

Our striker(still the man in the blue suit, ok kit then)is stood hunching his back to the wind having a rest and a quick draw on fag,

The ball hits him in the chops, knocks his fag into the air ,and rebounds into an empty net because their keeper was trying to catch the fag for a quick drag,being tight and from Rovrum and all.

We spend the next 15mins of added on time because you just know the refs all hate us and want the big team to win.

NH has to pick RW up off the floor after he busts a gut in all the excitement from the previous 105 mins.

Easy.

Well it kept me busy for 3 mins.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 27, 2021, 08:50:36 pm by selby »
  If we play to the reported standard we have set ourselves at Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke City I see no reason why we cannot make a good game of it.
   Granted the opposition will set us a far more physical problem, but football wise probably not, whether we can actually take any, or even  create chances is our Achilles heal and our biggest problem, solve that problem  and I can see no reason why we cannot give a good account of ourselves.
   They themselves would admit they are hardly Real Madrid and after all over the last season and the start of this have lost far more games than they have won.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 27, 2021, 10:08:24 pm by the vicar »
Some Miller fans think we and RW are trying to pull the wool over there eyes about our injuries to miss lead them into a false sense of security

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 27, 2021, 11:19:47 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Some Miller fans think we and RW are trying to pull the wool over there eyes about our injuries to miss lead them into a false sense of security
I don’t think he’s bullshitting about it because he has been saying for weeks how much we’re struggling injuries wise but I do think most of the doubts will play.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 28, 2021, 08:15:52 am by the vicar »
I hope so mate or we could be very embarrassed

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 28, 2021, 03:09:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Sounds like damage limitation and settled for the 2‐0 defeat.

We move on, time to take stock and see if we can do some business and get some players back.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 28, 2021, 03:18:37 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Exactly Baz.

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 28, 2021, 03:19:28 pm by chrisfisher »
Sounds like damage limitation and settled for the 2‐0 defeat.

We move on, time to take stock and see if we can do some business and get some players back.

Megalolz

TinyPortal © 2005-2012