Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:28:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Cheltenham game  (Read 4949 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Cheltenham game
« on October 20, 2021, 08:37:36 am by selby »
  Things are now becoming serious for the club, the manager and for us the supporters and we enter two games against Cheltenham and Cambridge needing hopefully six points and in my eyes a minimum of four against two teams in better form than ourselves, and know we are weak as a physical team and poor as an attacking side in front of goal.
  The last two games were against two teams who we historically never do anything against and have never done when we have had by far better teams than we have at present,seriously I dreaded those two games on the trot the day the fixtures came out.
   Have we done ourselves any favours in those two games by the way we have played? not really we have shown we can play pretty football in areas that don't matter, we have a soft underbelly at the back and we can't make or take chances in the oppositions penalty area.
   A complete reset at the top of the club is required, we have no u23s if you discount the first team that except for a couple of players is about that standard to the benefit of other clubs, while our own  best juniors hit a brick wall at 18 yrs old.
   Cheltenham meanwhile come to us fresh from a promotion with three players in their ranks that will be trying to show us what we are now missing, even I would be happy if any of our present team showed the enthusiasm of Alfie May  at the moment.
  Two big games, two games that can lift the spirits or having us having to accept our fate for this season that would end up a long slow death march to division 2.
  How much do we want it, the supporters are crying out for some fight and effort above what has been shown up to press this season, The manager even at Doncaster Rovers is walking a tight rope, and the club are in danger of losing large amounts of money and standing in the game, and the excuse of financial reasons through covid is lame when the powers that be also constantly say we are in a far better place than lot's of other clubs, the table does not reflect it I am afraid.
   Where do we go from here?
   Can we get a couple of decent results to lighten the mood starting with this game against Cheltenham.
   What selections would you make?
   Can the management team turn it around?
   Will they survive if they don't get something from these two games?
   Are you happy with the clubs set up below the first team?
  Lots to discuss, lots of problems to overcome, are we capable of an upturn in form? please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Cheltenham game
« Reply #1 on October 20, 2021, 08:48:47 am by Chris Black come back »
They have a fairly average away record in the league this season - it’s way better than our away record. Played 6 away games, won 1, drawn 2, lost 3. Their only away win was 2-1 vs Charlton. One potential bright spot is that they haven’t kept a clean sheet away from home yet. But, well, that’s not really a consideration for us I suspect.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 20, 2021, 08:52:15 am by sha66y »
We probably will lose and Alfie May could score….. they are no pushovers

Cheltenham to win 2-1

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 20, 2021, 08:57:07 am by Canadian Rover »
I hope and think we will win. But when you look at Blair & May and realize they were both very happy at DRFC and we let them go to improve the team it shows not only how poor our recruitment has been but also our retention. Both would be welcome additions to our current squad.

Prediction
Rovers 4
Cheltenham 1

Yep crazy....but I have a good feeling about Saturday.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 20, 2021, 09:13:04 am by roversdude »
Well we are going to have to change the line up with Knoyle out suspended. 3 centre half’s ??

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 20, 2021, 10:13:01 am by Chris Black come back »
I hope and think we will win. But when you look at Blair & May and realize they were both very happy at DRFC and we let them go to improve the team it shows not only how poor our recruitment has been but also our retention. Both would be welcome additions to our current squad.

Prediction
Rovers 4
Cheltenham 1

Like your optimism. Probably wouldn’t like whatever you have been smoking though!

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 20, 2021, 11:38:47 am by rich1471 »
Its as simple as this we lose ,he should walk away

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 20, 2021, 11:50:17 am by ian1980 »

Prediction
Rovers 4
Cheltenham 1

I was right there with you all the way through that until we hit the prediction….

We’ve only scored 6 goals in the 12 league games so far. The chances of 4 in a single game look doubtful. There’s always hope I suppose 

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 20, 2021, 12:08:20 pm by sha66y »

Why?

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 20, 2021, 03:48:41 pm by Canadian Rover »

Prediction
Rovers 4
Cheltenham 1

I was right there with you all the way through that until we hit the prediction….

We’ve only scored 6 goals in the 12 league games so far. The chances of 4 in a single game look doubtful. There’s always hope I suppose

I've backed that score line

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 20, 2021, 04:12:54 pm by rich1471 »

Why?
the football is terrible ,their is no winners in this squad and they are his players , you can play tippy tappy football all day long in the middle of the park and across the back line , nobody can play the killer pass to unlock the defence or the forward line are not smart enough to make the runs, the squad has no back bone to it of fight , take away the fact wellens was a great player for is and he would be getting dogs of abuse from the fans

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 20, 2021, 05:21:07 pm by roversdude »
I recall all of these comments a few years back when we first appointed SOD

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 20, 2021, 07:04:29 pm by drfchound »
I don’t know much about this Cheltenham team, but a friend of mine in the game tells me they will be similar to Wycombe in that they will bully and get in our faces.
Of course they have three of our ex players, any one of which I would welcome back to the KM as they would add much to our team.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 20, 2021, 07:41:39 pm by Plumbster »
Very true, when we lost Alfie and Blair I saw it  as a sign of progress (ditto Halliday)- whilst they were great characters who gave their all I wasn’t convinced they were good enough to get us promoted to the championship and stay there- the stark thing is that they are head and shoulders above what we now have

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 20, 2021, 08:10:10 pm by NickDRFC »
Very true, when we lost Alfie and Blair I saw it  as a sign of progress (ditto Halliday)- whilst they were great characters who gave their all I wasn’t convinced they were good enough to get us promoted to the championship and stay there- the stark thing is that they are head and shoulders above what we now have

That’s a really good assessment. We hear about the budget being competitive etc which may or may not be true but the fact that no one was concerned about those players leaving and yet we would pretty much all love to see them back really shines a spotlight on how poor the squad is now. Either our budget is some way off it was or we’ve recruited terribly, or perhaps a combination of the two.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 20, 2021, 08:21:20 pm by Campsall rover »
Very true, when we lost Alfie and Blair I saw it  as a sign of progress (ditto Halliday)- whilst they were great characters who gave their all I wasn%u2019t convinced they were good enough to get us promoted to the championship and stay there- the stark thing is that they are head and shoulders above what we now have
I disagree, Matty Blair was bang average for us in the last couple of seasons with us. Alfie May for all his enthusiasm and work rate had little or no end product.
Yes both good characters with a great attitude agree but they were not considered good enough for this level by most of us before they left.

Dahlberg, Knoyle, Anderson, John, Rowe, Bostock, Close, Galbraith, Hiwyla, Taylor and Okinibherie are all decent quality league 1 players imo.

The problem is first of all is we have not had had them all on the pitch at the same time yet. Also Bostock cannot play in that team as we have no proper ball winning midfielder in the team so he becomes a luxury player we cannot afford to play.
We have no goal scorer that has played 1 game yet for us this season.

When those problems are sorted, if they do get sorted, then those other players will look 3 times the players they look at the present time.

We are 3 players short of a top 8/9 team in this league..  I cannot understand why people think virtually our whole team is rubbish. It is nonsense imo.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 08:27:25 pm by Campsall rover »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 20, 2021, 08:55:41 pm by scawsby steve »
If Alfie scores on Saturday, he'll probably get the biggest ovation of the afternoon. Although I don't think he'd celebrate it; I reckon he's got more class than to do that.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 20, 2021, 09:04:57 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
I want 3 points. I want to see us attack with purpose, create more than a couple of half chances and i want to see their keeper have a difficult afternoon. I want to see some signs of progress as every game this season has been exactly the same. Plenty of possession, nice passing triangles in the middle, not many chances created and defensive errors too.

Rovers are f**king boring atm and the law of averages says that we must see at least one exciting game over the course of a season.

Jesus. Non league sides can give high ranking league sides a real run for their money in cup ties so why can't we adopt that same approach.

Tempo and energy please. No excuses otherwise.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 20, 2021, 09:54:04 pm by Draytonian III »
Very true, when we lost Alfie and Blair I saw it  as a sign of progress (ditto Halliday)- whilst they were great characters who gave their all I wasn%u2019t convinced they were good enough to get us promoted to the championship and stay there- the stark thing is that they are head and shoulders above what we now have
I disagree, Matty Blair was bang average for us in the last couple of seasons with us. Alfie May for all his enthusiasm and work rate had little or no end product.
Yes both good characters with a great attitude agree but they were not considered good enough for this level by most of us before they left.

Dahlberg, Knoyle, Anderson, John, Rowe, Bostock, Close, Galbraith, Hiwyla, Taylor and Okinibherie are all decent quality league 1 players imo.

The problem is first of all is we have not had had them all on the pitch at the same time yet. Also Bostock cannot play in that team as we have no proper ball winning midfielder in the team so he becomes a luxury player we cannot afford to play.

When those problems are sorted, if they do get sorted, then those other players will look 3 times the players they look at the present time.

We are 3 players short of a top 8/9 team in this league..  I cannot understand why people think virtually our whole team is rubbish. It is nonsense imo.

Alfie May has scored 4 league/cup goals this season so far which would make him the top scorer if he was playing for his previous club.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 20, 2021, 10:07:15 pm by Chris Black come back »
He’s definitely streets ahead of our guys in the scoring stakes but his 2 goals in 13 league games is a poor return for a striker. He might score on Saturday but the bigger worry is someone like Vassell who our shaky centre back pairing really struggle to manage.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 20, 2021, 10:17:12 pm by DRCraig »
2 words, must win. And we will.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 20, 2021, 10:32:39 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Looking forward to seeing former Rovers lads back at The Keepmoat.

Indeed, I would like to think we’ll at least see Alfie back here next season unless he’s snapped up by a Championship Club meantime.

Only one winner Saturday, but thanks for the memories May, Blair & Williams. You all played your part in our history & we’re always happy to see ‘old boys’ return.

Best of luck for the rest of the season & in particular your own careers wherever they may take you.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 20, 2021, 10:39:10 pm by sha66y »

Why?
the football is terrible ,their is no winners in this squad and they are his players , you can play tippy tappy football all day long in the middle of the park and across the back line , nobody can play the killer pass to unlock the defence or the forward line are not smart enough to make the runs, the squad has no back bone to it of fight , take away the fact wellens was a great player for is and he would be getting dogs of abuse from the fans

Do you understand what would happen if he did walk?
Think about the turmoil this would create!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 21, 2021, 07:56:07 am by Campsall rover »

Why?

Do you understand what would happen if he did walk?
Think about the turmoil this would create!
There are some people not thinking clearly.  :zzz:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 21, 2021, 02:20:49 pm by selby »
  Richie wants to be a good football club manager, if he leaves he would struggle with his present record to get a chance at a decent club again, so self interest suggests he will stay. and we are not a sacking club.
  He will be given every chance to turn around our season, and rightly so as nobody can change anything player wise until January.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 22, 2021, 01:22:16 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It would take the board six months, to get a replacement in if he did go. Decisive they are not ,but they have the clubs best interests at heart I’m sure.
Just like any other clubs supporters we hate losing games, i think only the queen hasn’t been blamed for our struggles and there’s still chance yet!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 22, 2021, 08:57:46 am by selby »
  Sammy, even she has joined our injury list.  Some of our young players in the first team are undergoing a learning curve in public, have never played a lot of football out of the regimented academy system where most teams try to play the same way pretty football which is nothing like the style that Wycombe and Gillingham play.
  Its no surprise to me that when even some of the bigger sides such as Ipswich, Wendies, Sunderland, etc also find it an eye opener and have difficulty adapting to a more physical opponent.
  They all feed off reputation and attracting the players coming out of the academy system from the premiership sides. and then they come up against a completely different style of play. For the players it is then sink or swim and many sink.
  Even the pitches can be a complete change to what they are used to having been brought up on perfect 4g or manicured pitches and expect the ball to be at their feet hence not keeping their eye on the ball at all times and keeper ricks and miss kicks of simple passes, they  have never really had to concentrate kicking the ball it is nearly always running smoothly on the surface they are used to.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 22, 2021, 12:02:05 pm by Avsuptem »
I blame the Queen for our struggles.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 22, 2021, 12:05:23 pm by andy didcott »
This will be a win for rovers no doubt at all.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 22, 2021, 07:12:09 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

3 players short of top 8! I’d agree if we get 3 special L1 players like Marquis, Whiteman etc but realistically we’ve seen nothing to suggest we’ll be signing any gems with this recruitment team.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012