Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 09:12:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Try and fail but don't fail to try?  (Read 2708 times)

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
Try and fail but don't fail to try?
« on December 02, 2021, 07:03:56 am by Upton Rover »
I have looked through the highlights (not too many) over the past several games and oh boy this set of players have given up trying, they are clueless, gutless and spineless; but why?
If a team concedes a goal they have an inquest on how did that happen, this team at Crew last night just looked away from each other and carried on, because this is the normal thing now they are not wanting to try for RW it’s got to change and very soon regardless of this weekend’s FA cup tie
This team as stopped trying, and looks very much the manager is the issue it’s clear to see on the field that there’s  nothing there with most of the players and manager, it’s got to change and I am sure this team can grind out results if the right person was in charge for many reasons it’s just not working.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 07:26:29 am by Upton Rover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Re: Try and fail but don't fail to try?
« Reply #1 on December 02, 2021, 07:16:46 am by graingrover »
I watched the whole game and in my opinion from the body language each player was playing within himself ,was cagey .Rarely did we have two or three players moving to create space to receive the ball be it from a throw in or an in game pass .Quiet as church mice with the sole exception of Rowe .

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 02, 2021, 07:27:07 am by Padge_DRFC »
Owulu and Anderson along with Jones were okay I thought. Galbraith doesn't shy away either but unfortunately the rest weren't very good.

I am sick to death of seeing Smith nesh out if everything week in week out.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 02, 2021, 07:29:13 am by since-1969 »
I have looked through the highlights (not too many) over the past several games and oh boy this set of players have given up trying, they are clueless, gutless and spineless; but why?
If a team concedes a goal they have an inquest on how did that happen, this team at Crew last night just looked away from each other and carried on, because this is the normal thing now they are not wanting to try for RW it’s got to change and very soon regardless of this weekend’s FA cup tie
This team as stopped trying.
When the commentators that I listened to we’re bemused that Joe Dodoo was playing out on the right creating problems and Cukur playing down the centre not even getting a touch from Dodoos efforts or from the midfield . The players are either hopeless , clueless or just not trying to performing for Wellens . Which ever it is , it’s gone in too long just except that a January transfer window will sort it .

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 02, 2021, 07:43:58 am by Upton Rover »
RW as tried and failed, now time to go and try and move on, and try salvage the season, we still have time to do so if we act now.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 02, 2021, 07:56:46 am by GazLaz »
There was nothing wrong with our tactical setup or shape last night. The lack of quality came from either individual errors, bad decision making or or just sheer inability of the players. They are responsible. They are representing the club and have a responsibility to maintain effort and enthusiasm at very least. You never see a drop off in Rowe or Anderson’s intensity and effort.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 02, 2021, 08:31:51 am by Upton Rover »
I will say that yes Rowe does put a shift in.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 02, 2021, 08:36:23 am by Campsall rover »
If a team concedes a goal they have an inquest on how did that happen, this team at Crew last night just looked away from each other and carried on, because this is the normal thing now they are not wanting to try for RW it%u2019s got to change and very soon regardless of this weekend%u2019s FA cup tie
This team as stopped trying, and looks very much the manager is the issue it%u2019s clear to see on the field that there%u2019s  nothing there with most of the players and manager, it%u2019s got to change and I am sure this team can grind out results if the right person was in charge for many reasons it%u2019s just not working.
It pains me to say I agree 100% with you.

I am not burying my head in the sand any longer. I genuinely thought Wellens would be the man for us but it is starring us in the face he is not.
The players have given up. No leadership. Just acceptance of failure. It is now the norm.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:41:11 am by Campsall rover »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 02, 2021, 09:00:40 am by roversdude »
I darent comment, other than I have become so disillusioned over the space of the last week. Don’t know how those players can look at themselves in the mirror and not be ashamed of themselves for the lack of effort.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 02, 2021, 11:57:52 am by EasyforDennis »
Owulu and Anderson along with Jones were okay I thought. Galbraith doesn't shy away either but unfortunately the rest weren't very good.

Smith showed last night why we shouldn't be relying on young loanees. There was one through ball in the 2nd Half where the keeper came out for it and Smith ran away instead of going for it.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 02, 2021, 01:17:42 pm by danumdon »

Smith showed last night why we shouldn't be relying on young loanees. There was one through ball in the 2nd Half where the keeper came out for it and Smith ran away instead of going for it.

I noticed that also, he's being do that for most of the season , he's a trotting show pony when we need a big strong stallion in his place.

He should be back on the bus with all the other loanees bar Galbraith, we need better quality, even if that lot cost nothing i'd rather go down fighting with a young local lad.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 02, 2021, 03:42:01 pm by Upton Rover »
See what the team do on Saturday now RW as gone

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 02, 2021, 06:07:26 pm by dickos1 »
Mcsheffrey can’t lose
If we get hammered you’ll be saying it was wellens team, if we win you’ll be saying told your wellens was the problem

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 02, 2021, 06:58:02 pm by Upton Rover »
Mcsheffrey can’t lose
If we get hammered you’ll be saying it was wellens team, if we win you’ll be saying told your wellens was the problem
I have never quoted anything about what players RW bought in or what players he inherited when he became manager, so no gloating will be done if the team wins on Saturday or no blaming who’s team it was if they lose. I am clearly stating that most of this team for 1 reason or another that only them and RW know the real reason’s were not trying it was clear to see that this was the case.
I have always made it clear that RW was an amazing player not just at Rovers but most of his career, he was just not a manager and that was clear to see, so glad he’s gone but wish him luck in what ever he does next but he’s a lot to learn in management

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 02, 2021, 07:06:18 pm by dickos1 »
He’s going to have a good career as a manager and I still believe he would’ve succeeded here if he was given a fair crack.
Not long ago he won the league 2 title

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 02, 2021, 07:18:24 pm by Upton Rover »
No way would he have succeeded here. He also inherited a good team when he went to Swindon, it soon went downhill in L1

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 02, 2021, 07:19:18 pm by wilts rover »
He’s going to have a good career as a manager and I still believe he would’ve succeeded here if he was given a fair crack.

Even more recently he was sacked by Salford.

Unless he learns better personnel skills to deal with people both below and above him, then I fear his time in football management will be very short.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 02, 2021, 08:06:56 pm by dickos1 »

Unless he learns better personnel skills to deal with people both below and above him, then I fear his time in football management will be very short.

Every manager gets sacked, not every manager wins a league title

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 02, 2021, 08:13:02 pm by dickos1 »
No way would he have succeeded here. He also inherited a good team when he went to Swindon, it soon went downhill in L1

No he didn’t take over a good Swindon side, they were 18th in league 2.
Then he won the title and in league one he left after 8 games, thy had 9 points on the board from those 8 games.
Hardly a disaster that is it after promotion,
It’s a decent start

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 02, 2021, 08:18:27 pm by scawsby steve »

How many more times? He inherited some very good players from the previous manager at Swindon, and the season was curtailed with teams still in touching distance.

He's been sacked by 3 of the 4 clubs he managed. Yes, he was a great player, but as a manager there's nothing to suggest that he could be successful in anything above League 2.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 02, 2021, 08:24:35 pm by BobG »
My memory, not that reliable these days I grant, is that the Swindon side Richie inherited were not very good at all.

BobG

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 02, 2021, 08:32:24 pm by Jonathan »
Swindon finished towards the bottom of the table before Wellens took charge. He took them to the top of the table. Maybe he inherited some good players, I don’t know, but he got a tune out of them that previous managers certainly couldn’t.

Anyway, he’s gone now. We can get ready to hound another manager out in a couple of months.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 02, 2021, 08:36:47 pm by scawsby steve »
Swindon finished towards the bottom of the table before Wellens took charge. He took them to the top of the table. Maybe he inherited some good players, I don’t know, but he got a tune out of them that previous managers certainly couldn’t.

Anyway, he’s gone now. We can get ready to hound another manager out in a couple of months.

So the demise of the team is all down to the supporters now?

You need to go back and have a good look at the League table, Jonathan.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 02, 2021, 08:41:18 pm by Jonathan »

So the demise of the team is all down to the supporters now?

You need to go back and have a good look at the League table, Jonathan.

Sorry you might have to point out to me where I said that as I’m struggling a bit here.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 02, 2021, 08:42:05 pm by dickos1 »

How many more times? He inherited some very good players from the previous manager at Swindon, and the season was curtailed with teams still in touching distance.

He's been sacked by 3 of the 4 clubs he managed. Yes, he was a great player, but as a manager there's nothing to suggest that he could be successful in anything above League 2.

Swindon we’re 18th in league 2 when wellens took over.
Phil brown didn’t leave him with an array of talent I’m afraid
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:46:18 pm by dickos1 »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 02, 2021, 08:43:02 pm by dickos1 »

I think you’re getting yourself confused

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 02, 2021, 08:43:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Most managers get the sack at some point, good  bad or indifferent.

I still think he can be a good manager. Perhaps he needs more established players to take on board his ideas. I don't have any issues with how he wanted to play, the way he read the game tactically or pinpointing the weaknesses. However, finding himself without the likes of Fejiri, Taylor, John and the rest for far too long left him struggling to get the younger players up to his and the required standards.

The Bogle/Williams decision could have also contributed to his downfall. Had he had Fejiri and Taylor available and contributing goals, then he's in a better position to freeze those two out after not being able to move them on, so maybe he was premature despite his, and our obvious frustration with Bogle. He was stuck then because he couldn't reverse his decision. Live by the sword, die by the sword 

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 02, 2021, 08:48:48 pm by BobG »
No Steve. It is the comment of an intelligent and perspicaceous man on the behaviour of folk who do not understand the concepts of lifecycles, of patience or even of humanity.

The sacking of this manager, any manager, may well be neccesary, even deserved. Personally, I regret this one but I cannot oppose it. But the output from so many contributes little beyond betraying more about they themselves than they ever realise.

A short pause for reflection, for comparison, for judging scale, transforms many posts on this site. Their absence from some is very noticeable.

Cheers :)

BobG

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 02, 2021, 09:15:51 pm by scawsby steve »
No Steve. It is the comment of an intelligent and perspicaceous man on the behaviour of folk who do not understand the concepts of lifecycles, of patience or even of humanity.

The sacking of this manager, any manager, may well be neccesary, even deserved. Personally, I regret this one but I cannot oppose it. But the output from so many contributes little beyond betraying more about they themselves than they ever realise.

A short pause for reflection, for comparison, for judging scale, transforms many posts on this site. Their absence from some is very noticeable.

Cheers :)

BobG

Is that post a criticism of me, Bob?

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 02, 2021, 09:32:51 pm by Upton Rover »
No not a disaster all, must have been off the field going’s on that got him the sack, same as at Salford not on the field results
No he didn’t take over a good Swindon side, they were 18th in league 2.
Then he won the title and in league one he left after 8 games, thy had 9 points on the board from those 8 games.
Hardly a disaster that is it after promotion,
It’s a decent start

TinyPortal © 2005-2012