Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:11:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Talk Your Way Out Of This One Johnson  (Read 75849 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Talk Your Way Out Of This One Johnson
« Reply #120 on January 27, 2022, 10:57:33 am by Bentley Bullet »
When will people realise that much of the British public prefer someone who broke social distancing rules to someone who wanted to revoke a democratic vote!

You are John from Formby, and I claim my £5.

https://www.dkpw.co.uk/watch/John%20From%20Formby.mp3

You've not been right yet, so there's nothing unusual about you being wrong this time. However, I do agree with John Formby, and I'd much rather be him than that utter bell end James O'brien.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on January 27, 2022, 11:23:20 am by SydneyRover »
When will people realise that much of the British public prefer someone who broke social distancing rules to someone who wanted to revoke a democratic vote!

You are John from Formby, and I claim my £5.

https://www.dkpw.co.uk/watch/John%20From%20Formby.mp3

You've not been right yet, so there's nothing unusual about you being wrong this time. However, I do agree with John Formby, and I'd much rather be him than that utter bell end James O'brien.

Having just listened to that, I have to ask you bb, has johnson fixed any of your problems?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on January 27, 2022, 01:52:27 pm by normal rules »
It’s  worth noting now that reports suggest Dame Cressida Dick herself has been viewing the evidence that has been presented to the Metpol at the weekend.
This is pretty unprecedented for a chief constable level officer to become directly involved in decision making processes at investigative level. They are normally way way above this, focussing merely on strategic level political stuff.
It’s not the magnitude of the offence, which to be frank is minor in itself, ( what I mean by this is it’s not exactly armed robbery)  it’s the magnitude of the implications on the offenders. There are huge amounts of reputation at stake here. For the govt and the police.
Simply put, it’s looking like  the highest level police officer in the country will assess and decide if this should be investigated. And if so, how. She will no doubt set the investigative tone and strategy.
They are probably in uncharted territory. This is only the second time a prime minister has been anywhere near a criminal investigation in the last 100years.
I’m unsure if there are any special protocols regarding this . The police have standing instructions to deal with most eventualities. I can’t imagine this is one of them.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on January 27, 2022, 02:25:05 pm by normal rules »
And now this.

“Ms Gray's findings are said to be undergoing checks by lawyers and human resources experts before they can be handed to the government.”

This is an independent enquiry ffs. I wonder who the lawyers and HR resources experts work for. How can this be independent? Sue Gray has a reputation of a no nonsense, tell it how it is, high level civil servant. I can see where the next shitstorm is coming, and it will be that this report will be redacted and edited and altered way before it reaches the oppositions eyes, let alone the public’s. I wonder what version the Metpol will get.?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on January 27, 2022, 04:02:37 pm by i_ateallthepies »
It isn't an independent enquiry though n.r.  Completely agree with your last sentence.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on January 27, 2022, 09:14:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Meanwhile, as the Gray Report gets pushed into the indefinite future, the next line of defence.

Apparently, according to the Telegraph, Johnson couldn't have been ambushed by a cake because there wasn't a cake there.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on January 27, 2022, 09:23:18 pm by ravenrover »
Let's get used to it, he's got away with it ....... again

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on January 27, 2022, 10:36:48 pm by normal rules »
Everything makes sense now.
He is a secret cod head. Seen numerous times over the last year or two wearing a cod head bobble hat.
But why?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on January 28, 2022, 10:12:03 am by BillyStubbsTears »
This looks like it could be the cover up to end all cover ups.

The plan, apparently, is to publish all the parts of the Gray report that don't refer to the things that the Met is investigating.

So the redacted report will have no smoking gun.

Then if the Met investigate and report that there is nothing to justify them taking any action, the redacted parts of the Gray report can be shelved as irrelevant.

Is that realistic? Well the Electoral Commission gave the Met a file on illegal use of funds by the Leave side in the 2016 Ref. The Met sat on it for two years, while Johnson was elected, then summarily announced that there was no case to answer. To the best of my knowledge, they have never explained the basis of that decision. And attention moves on.

Here we go. Step 1 of the cover up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60166997

Step 2 will be Johnson crowing next week that he's released the report in full for all to see and as he said all along, there's nothing to see.

Step 3 will be the Met dragging out their investigation for weeks or months until everyone is bored or has forgotten that revulsion they felt when they first heard about Johnson's partying.

Step 4 will be Cressida Dick saying that while there may have been some contraventions of the letter of the law, there's nothing to warrant prosecutions.

Step 5 is Johnson standing up in Parliament saying "I told you all along that I'd been honest on this point. I've been entirely vindicated. But it's clear that there was a culture among staff where the rules were flouted, and I'm disgusted at that. I have sacked several of my No10 team."

Just watch them try to roll it out.

Everyone who applies their brain to this will know it is b*llocks.

But that's not what matters. Johnson is a new breed of politician. We've never had his like before. He has absolutely zero capacity for shame. All that matters to him is power. It doesn't matter to him if people know he's a lying bas**rd. What matters is whether they support him.

If this plan rolls out and he is still supported by a large enough number of voters, he might well survive. And then our democracy truly is off the edge of the cliff.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on January 28, 2022, 10:16:13 am by Filo »
I think it’s time for the Country to have a written constitution, rather than rely on precidence. To enable the Country to remove officials that are unfit for office, have the facility to impeach them 

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on January 28, 2022, 10:29:13 am by River Don »
I think that's right BST but I think he's underestimating the trouble he's in.

We could not visit my mother in law as she lay dying of cancer throughout the pandemic. She finally passed away before we had chance to see her for the last time. Millions of people have similar traumatic stories. It's difficult to kick those memories into the long grass.

On top of that, I doubt Cummings has done with this, more revelations of dishonesty keep emerging. And finally, a leopard doesn't change his spots, if he does hang on, it won't be long before he is making new mistakes.

Edit. Oh and there are local elections. The Tories won't tolerate a loser for long.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 10:40:11 am by River Don »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on January 28, 2022, 10:41:24 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It's too big to be covered up.  You can't have it all ways. Big cry for police to investigate. They now are and there's grumbles the report isn't out.  Can't have it all ways. The key thing is it shouldn't take long.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on January 28, 2022, 10:47:40 am by Filo »
It's too big to be covered up.  You can't have it all ways. Big cry for police to investigate. They now are and there's grumbles the report isn't out.  Can't have it all ways. The key thing is it shouldn't take long.

How can a factual report prejudice a Police investigation?

The punishment for the parties would only be a statuary  fine, there would be no trial, unless there is evidence of a more seriuos crim being committed

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on January 28, 2022, 10:53:31 am by BillyStubbsTears »
BFYP

If the police take action against Johnson for holding parties, the very worst outcome for him would be a fine of s few hundred quid.

The criminal action isn't something that's going to send him to jail for years. It's not even something that would require a trial. So the whole sub judice argument is so much piss and wind. In that light, what possible justification can there be for redacting the Gray Report?

Unless of course, Gray really had found some very serious criminal activity.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on January 28, 2022, 10:53:43 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Beat me to it Filo.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on January 28, 2022, 10:54:35 am by SydneyRover »
Hopefully the police will look at misconduct in public office

''Under English law, misconduct in public office is a criminal offence at common law that dates back to the 13th century.[2][3]

The offence carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment. It is confined to those who are public office holders, and is committed when the office holder acts (or neglects to act) in a way that constitutes a breach of the duties of that office.[4]''

Life may be a tad too long but ...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malfeasance_in_office#:~:text=Under%20English%20law%2C%20misconduct%20in,maximum%20penalty%20of%20life%20imprisonment.&text=Wilfully%20neglects%20to%20perform%20one's%20duty%20and%2For%20wilfully%20misconducts%20oneself.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on January 28, 2022, 11:09:57 am by River Don »
All three opposition parties voicing concerns about a possible cover up being engineered between the Met and Gray.

All demanding full disclosure of the Gray report.

And interestingly, someone has dug up an old report in the Times of the Downing Street birthday party, which featured a Union Jack birthday cake and confirms Boris and Sunak were in attendance.

I told you things will keep popping up.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on January 28, 2022, 11:32:33 am by SydneyRover »
There will be many feverishly updating ''Partygate'' wiki, it's quite a tome already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partygate

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on January 28, 2022, 11:51:26 am by River Don »
All three opposition parties voicing concerns about a possible cover up being engineered between the Met and Gray.

And interestingly, someone has dug up an old report in the Times of the Downing Street birthday party, which featured a Union Jack birthday cake and confirms Boris and Sunak were in attendance.

I can't keep up. They had denied there was a birthday cake. So what is this Union Jack birthday cake?

Another lie in the lie-athon.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on January 28, 2022, 11:58:23 am by normal rules »
Dark forces at work here.
The Home Secretary overseas everything the Police does. Especially so when her own are being investigated.
And now Metpol saying they don’t want certain Disclosures made as it may undermine their enquiry?
Is this the Metpol stance, or are they under influence by the very people they are trying to investigate. A very, very tangled web.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on January 28, 2022, 12:07:36 pm by Filo »

I can't keep up. They had denied there was a birthday cake. So what is this Union Jack birthday cake?

Another lie in the lie-athon.

The Minister that denied there was a cake said earlier in the day that the PM had been ambushed by a cake, the PM told him there was no cake, so we can only assume on past PM statements, there was actually a lorry load of cakes!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on January 28, 2022, 12:50:09 pm by River Don »
More on Cakegate

No 10 said they could not comment on whether or not there was cake at a birthday celebration for the prime minister until investigations into the partygate saga had concluded.

Tory MP Conor Burns previously said the prime minister had been “ambushed with a cake” at a surprise birthday bash in the Cabinet room on June 19 2020 when social events indoors were banned.

But Burns later told the Telegraph’s political podcast:

I’m told under some authority, indeed from him, that there actually wasn’t a cake.

However an article from The Times from June 20, 2020, has since resurfaced where it was reported the group “tucked into a Union Jack cake” at the gathering.

A spokesman for Boris Johnson said:

So you will know what we said earlier this week on the matter, that small number of staff briefly came into the Cabinet room on the PM’s birthday.

Beyond that I can’t comment further ahead of any conclusion of the investigation.

Caught out lying about a birthday cake. With the Police and Civil Service investigating.

You simply could not make this up. What a child we have as PM.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on January 28, 2022, 12:56:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Maybe it was Brass Eye cake. That would put a different angle on the investigation.

Seriously though, this does feel like classic Johnson tactics. Turn the whole thing into a ridiculous mess, and pull attention away from the real issue.

He told us how he planned to operate 15 years back. Look at the video halfway down this page.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60159226

Seemed like a buffoonish laugh at the time. But look closely at his face. He's not laughing. He's not being daft. He's being absolutely straight. And it's what he's done ever since. And he's doing it now. Distract us with chaff about cake while he and the Met bury the Gray Report.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on January 28, 2022, 01:09:20 pm by River Don »
BST, the Times story was unearthed by a young financial journalist from the economist. He describes himself online as "just a young lad from Leeds with a thirst for markets.

It's stretching it to believe this is anything other than a young journo doing a bit of research and catching Johnson out.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on January 28, 2022, 01:18:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Yeah but the ground has been laid by stories about whether there was or wasn't cake, about him being ambushed by cake etc...

It fits into the pattern. Give the plebs something to guffaw at while he gets on with his main task.

And Johnson's genius is that he can carry off the bumbling gaffe-prone idiot facade and fold still vote for him. No other politician has ever survived looking ridiculous. With Johnson, the whole aim is precisely to look ridiculous. To distract attention from the lying, deceiving, self-serving Kitson he really is.

That's why Partygate has hit him so hard. Because millions of people say for the first time what was under the facade. The cake stories are perfect stuff to cover that up again.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on January 28, 2022, 01:24:49 pm by River Don »
I don't think Johnson is that much of a genius.

I think he was caught out by reports of yet another party, a birthday party at that.

It's difficult to deny it was a birthday party if a birthday cake was present. So he denied there was a cake.

And now he's been caught out again. Simple as that.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on January 28, 2022, 01:42:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I think he's a genius in the way that Trump and many pathological liars are. In his ability to not care what thinking people think, but to appeal beyond that to other people.

He does something which takes phenomenal will power.

He stands in front of people who know he is lying and he effectively says, week after week, "I know I'm lying.  You know I'm lying. But who gives a f**k because there are millions of voters out there who either don't know I'm lying, or they do but they don't care. And I'm going to keep on lying while I make THOSE people chuckle, and if I can keep enough of them onside, it doesn't matter what you think."

He realised a while ago that the British Constitution relies entirely on people playing by the rules. If you were caught lying, you left. But that was a choice, not a requirement.

I've recently read a lot about the life of Julius Caesar. Johnson read Greats at Oxford so I'm sure he knows the story inside out.

Caesar was a chancer who struck lucky. Twenty times he faced disaster. Every time he went all-in on a 10/1 shot and won.

He was a debauched adulterer and everyone in the Senate knew it. He shocked Roman society by being elected Chief Priest despite this. It was a farcical situation because everyone who knew him knew he was the least moral man in Rome. But he didn't care. He wasn't interested in honesty or standards. He wanted power. And he got that by using his position to gain the support of the ordinary people. He whipped up a mob who loved him and threatened to kill anyone who opposed him.

Johnson has read the script. He's not interested in whether people who know see through him. As long as enough of the plebs buy into his act. And in a poll this week, still 30% of voters say he shouldn't resign. Might be enough for him to hold on. Which truly would be Caesar-like genius.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on January 28, 2022, 02:09:12 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
"Et tu, Rishi?"

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on January 28, 2022, 04:57:54 pm by belton rover »
He was also brilliant at hide and seek. It never matters which one of his women hides because Julius Caesar.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on January 28, 2022, 05:03:30 pm by River Don »
It's Friday

It's 5pm

Get the suitcase open lads!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012