Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:01:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Talk Your Way Out Of This One Johnson  (Read 75938 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Talk Your Way Out Of This One Johnson
« Reply #840 on April 25, 2022, 08:15:08 am by drfchound »
Rachel Reeves on tv this morning saying that sexism is rife in Parliament.
She didn’t say it was just from one side so by definition it appears to be a generalisation.
Not just the Tory MPs then.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #841 on April 25, 2022, 08:55:09 am by i_ateallthepies »
Has anybody said it's just the Tory MPs?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #842 on April 25, 2022, 09:29:15 am by drfchound »

Well, possibly Angela Raynor.

"But it is the PM who is dragging the Conservative Party into the sewer - and the anonymous Tory MPs doing his bidding are complicit. He and his cheerleaders clearly have a big problem with women in public life. They should be ashamed of themselves.”

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #843 on April 25, 2022, 09:53:12 am by Glyn_Wigley »
She didn’t say it was just from one side so by definition it appears to be a generalisation.

She was saying the recipients of sexism are from all sides of the House, not that the perpetrators are.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #844 on April 25, 2022, 09:56:14 am by Glyn_Wigley »

"But it is the PM who is dragging the Conservative Party into the sewer - and the anonymous Tory MPs doing his bidding are complicit. He and his cheerleaders clearly have a big problem with women in public life. They should be ashamed of themselves.”

It was the MOS who said they were Tory MPs they were reporting on, not Angela Raynor.

That's if you believe there were any 'anonymous' Tory MPs involved in the first place, of course, and not just the MOS making up them up to create a story.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #845 on April 25, 2022, 01:07:29 pm by drfchound »

It was the MOS who said they were Tory MPs they were reporting on, not Angela Raynor.

That's if you believe there were any 'anonymous' Tory MPs involved in the first place, of course, and not just the MOS making up them up to create a story.

The words I quoted were from Raynor.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #846 on April 25, 2022, 04:33:17 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

The words I quoted were from Raynor.

And she's quoting what the MOS said: 'anonymous Tory MPs'.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #847 on April 25, 2022, 08:52:30 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
As May was completely ineffectual for three whole years, it begs the question of what Jeremy Corbyn was doing to distract her all that time! :silly:

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #848 on May 12, 2022, 11:53:17 am by SydneyRover »
''More than 100 fines have now been issued over partygate, say Met police – UK politics live''

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #849 on May 12, 2022, 01:19:35 pm by SydneyRover »
Cummings still beavering away at his life's work ...............

Twitter:

''Junior staff told, PM's PPS is coordinating with covid taskforce to ensure all no10 events are lawful. Junior staff had reasonable expectation this happening. So how do you fine junior staff for 14/1/21 & NOT the PM *who attended* & was responsible for entire shitshow?!
8:27 PM · May 12, 2022''

''Also Tory MPs havent twigged: PM throwing all these junior staff under bus to cops makes his life nightmarish in covid inquiry. Am getting lots of texts today like 'I can't WAIT for the inquiry, I took lots of notes'. #DeepState will wreak revenge on

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #850 on May 12, 2022, 02:49:44 pm by danumdon »

I'm not sure how she would know this, because it would have to be a very dark night for someone to "bump"into her.

Just not sure about her, sitting there in the commons with her grans old undies on her face, she just has something about he i can't quite put my finger on it, is she related to Michael Howard the ex Tory mp.

There's defiantly "something of the the night" about her!

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #851 on May 12, 2022, 03:05:45 pm by danumdon »
''More than 100 fines have now been issued over partygate, say Met police – UK politics live''

But surprisingly nothing in the post for Johnson?

I'm imagining quite a few lefty's Throwing strops today.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #852 on May 12, 2022, 03:21:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

But surprisingly nothing in the post for Johnson?

I'm imagining quite a few lefty's Throwing strops today.

That'll be because it is a matter of record that Johnson wasn't at the 18 Dec 2020 party that these fines are for.

Have patience, my politically neutral friend.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #853 on May 12, 2022, 11:42:48 pm by SydneyRover »

I'm not sure how she would know this, because it would have to be a very dark night for someone to "bump"into her.

Just not sure about her, sitting there in the commons with her grans old undies on her face, she just has something about he i can't quite put my finger on it, is she related to Michael Howard the ex Tory mp.

There's defiantly "something of the the night" about her!

this recurring problem you have with women, is it something you wish to talk about, does it make you angry, a psychologist might say you are using 'attack is the best form of defence'

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #854 on May 19, 2022, 11:46:27 am by SydneyRover »
''Carrie Johnson, the prime minister’s wife, has been told that she is not going to receive any further fines over Partygate, beyond the one we were told about in April, it is understood. The April fine related to the surprise birthday gathering she organised for the PM in the cabinet room. She was also being investigated over allegations that she held a party in the Downing Street flat on the night Dominic Cummings resigned, where Abba music was played loudly as she celebrated with friends the departure of an enemy. If the Met has decided not to fine her in relation to this, that suggests it has accepted the argument that government advisers who attended (reportedly her friends) were there for a work meeting''

Guardian Live

obviously nobody had a beer then?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #855 on May 19, 2022, 12:05:54 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think the sue gray report is more important to be honest. Its not just the law that matters but the principle of what did or did not happen. Hopefully that gives us facts on what the pm did or didn't do.  At the least he lacks control of the staff in his building which is a failure of leadership in itself.

The fine over the birthday cake was the least of the issues as I could see (as it was when Keir Starmer had a cake) so if he's escaped with just that you have to question what they found on the other stuff.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #856 on May 19, 2022, 12:10:39 pm by SydneyRover »
When we see all the detail we will know but that fact that 126 people inc the PM broke the law in what is effectively johnson's office and lied to parliament about it doesn't pass the pub test, he has to go.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #857 on May 19, 2022, 12:25:20 pm by River Don »
No10 Downing St is the most fined address in the country.

It certainly is crime, crime, crime day!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #858 on May 19, 2022, 12:29:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
There's a very odd comment from the Met. The Acting Deputy Commissioner said that whether an event took place in someone's home was taken into account in deciding whether or not to impose a fine. I fail to see why that should be a factor - surely you either broke the law or you didn't, regardless of where (the daughter of a friend was a student during the first lockdown and was fined for having friends round to her house).

As BFYP says, it'll be interesting to see the detail in the Sue Gray report.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #859 on May 19, 2022, 12:33:25 pm by SydneyRover »
From the info there is available at present, I would think a lot of ppl will be appealing their penalties, those not from #10 that is.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #860 on May 19, 2022, 12:45:23 pm by River Don »
There's a very odd comment from the Met. The Acting Deputy Commissioner said that whether an event took place in someone's home was taken into account in deciding whether or not to impose a fine. I fail to see why that should be a factor - surely you either broke the law or you didn't, regardless of where (the daughter of a friend was a student during the first lockdown and was fined for having friends round to her house).

As BFYP says, it'll be interesting to see the detail in the Sue Gray report.

There is a suggestion from a barrister that the law may not apply to 10 Downing St. Which would be a scandal in itself.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1468304243136229377

Though just listening to the news it seems there is a grey area of when a work event is in your home and whether that event is actually a party and his entitlement to be at home...

I think he's had some very clever legal advice.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 01:19:01 pm by River Don »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #861 on May 19, 2022, 01:55:06 pm by SydneyRover »
If all this is true the big question will be, why didn't the public know the difference between home and a home office or whatever it is.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #862 on May 19, 2022, 02:04:04 pm by SydneyRover »
And

''The conclusion of the Met investigation into Partygate does not just mean that the Sue Gray report into the lockdown-busting events will be published imminently; it also triggers the launch of the privileges committee inquiry into claims that Boris Johnson deliberately misled MPs when he said the rules were followed at all times.

The Commons voted for this investigation to go ahead last month, but the motion passed by MPs said the committee would “not begin substantive consideration of the matter” until the Met inquiry was over''

It's never ends

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #863 on May 19, 2022, 02:45:07 pm by danumdon »
And

''The conclusion of the Met investigation into Partygate does not just mean that the Sue Gray report into the lockdown-busting events will be published imminently; it also triggers the launch of the privileges committee inquiry into claims that Boris Johnson deliberately misled MPs when he said the rules were followed at all times.

The Commons voted for this investigation to go ahead last month, but the motion passed by MPs said the committee would “not begin substantive consideration of the matter” until the Met inquiry was over''

It's never ends

Oh dear, sounds like you and ya pal might want to be left alone in your shared grief.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #864 on May 19, 2022, 03:53:10 pm by ravenrover »
I very much doubt what is left of the Sue Gray report after the redactions will tell us very much. I wonder if we will get to see the 300+ photos? Some will make their own mind up from them if we are, party or no party?

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #865 on May 19, 2022, 05:02:08 pm by ForsolongaRover »
When “Downing Street” is quoted as making a comment or answering a question, it is without doubt an official comment. It is not a collective term for a private house yet the implication to be drawn from the police taking that into consideration is that that they have been persuaded that that is its essential nature, that the primary function of 10 Downing Street is a residence.

You would have thought that the police would have proceeded on the more obvious basis and let those served with notices argue their case in Court.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #866 on May 19, 2022, 11:50:37 pm by albie »
Turns out that the Met only looked at some of the alleged breaches, not all of them;
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/partygate-police-probed-just-two-27013954

So how can they be satisfied that no further actionable breaches took place?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #867 on May 20, 2022, 12:26:40 am by SydneyRover »
Turns out that the Met only looked at some of the alleged breaches, not all of them;
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/partygate-police-probed-just-two-27013954

If this is in any true and the police have deferred to the office of the PM or in fact the man himself it not only puts a dent in the statement that everyone is equal under the law and of course the separation of powers comes into question. 

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #868 on May 20, 2022, 12:33:30 am by BillyStubbsTears »

So let's get this right. He attended 4 social events at his place of work, where people who shouldn't have been there were invited and have been fined for breaking the law. And it never dawned on him to stop the social events in his office? And that's all hunky dory?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #869 on May 20, 2022, 04:56:43 am by SydneyRover »

So let's get this right. He attended 4 social events at his place of work, where people who shouldn't have been there were invited and have been fined for breaking the law. And it never dawned on him to stop the social events in his office? And that's all hunky dory?

I reckon when some of those on the Billy Sharp thread see this there'll be another Peterloo, they'll march on Londongrad

TinyPortal © 2005-2012