Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:51:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: McPlant  (Read 2455 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
Re: McPlant
« Reply #30 on January 26, 2022, 02:11:54 pm by belton rover »
If people don’t want to eat meat products, why do they want plant based products, sausages, burgers etc, shape like meat products?

Gloster - you do know that when you open up an animal, sausages and burgers don’t fall out, don’t you?

Wow, who knew. But as of yet no one as answered the question why if you don’t want to eat meat, why do you want to eat meat shaped products.

Burgers aren’t meat shaped. They’re round.

Still not answering the question are you

I’m not sure what you are getting at.
A plant based, round burger, isn’t meat shaped.

Off the top of my head tried to think of any processed meat product that was actually meat shaped. I came up with Bernard Matthews Turkey Drummers.

What he's getting at is 'you don't want to eat meat, so why do you want something that looks/tastes/feels like meat' - and the answer is simple, lots of people do enjoy meat, but don't enjoy the ethical/health implications that come with it, so are looking for a substitute.

Tickles me that something processed into a very uniform cylindrical or flat circular shape is classed as 'meat shape'

Don’t forget Turkey Dinosaurs.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 26, 2022, 02:46:53 pm by Nudga »
I'm going to lalazar on satdi neet with Mrs Nudga, gonna have me a plate of Turkish mixed kebab.

Hopefully Mrs N will get her badly wrapped kebab out when I get her back home.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 26, 2022, 02:49:18 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
A lot of meat substitute products are actually really unhealthy. Full of salt, full of fat if made with coconut products and some have about 20 ingredients including fillers etc and little nutritional value. Also it is not healthy to be eating Soya all the time, especially GM soya.

McPlant though.

A huge company like that coming up with Mcbloodyplant. Ridiculous. I mean, McPlant. Just say it and realize how stupid it sounds.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 26, 2022, 03:02:03 pm by River Don »
CDH

The McPlant has fewer calories than the equivalent hamburger and it is a bit healthier than processed red meat. I might be wrong but I think the patty is pea protein plus other stuff including coconut and beet.

I accept the salt and fat content is high and it is still junk food.

Edit.

These are the ingredients of the Beyond Meat burgers McDonalds use. They advertise it as no soya, no gluten.

Water, Pea Protein*(16%), Rapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Flavouring, Stabiliser (Methyl Cellulose), Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Colour (Beetroot Red), Maltodextrin, Pomegranate Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Concentrated Lemon Juice, Maize Vinegar, Carrot Powder, Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin).

The contentious ingredients are salts and coconut oil. Coconut oil is high in saturated fat but a McPlant burger is still lower overall in saturated fat than the meat equivalent. And perhaps Methyl cellulose and Maltodextrin are contentious too, whatever they are.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 04:27:35 pm by River Don »

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 26, 2022, 04:00:27 pm by BVB »
If people don’t want to eat meat products, why do they want plant based products, sausages, burgers etc, shape like meat products?

Gloster - you do know that when you open up an animal, sausages and burgers don’t fall out, don’t you?

Wow, who knew. But as of yet no one as answered the question why if you don’t want to eat meat, why do you want to eat meat shaped products.
Think I did in my earlier reply?
BVB

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 26, 2022, 05:01:45 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
CDH

The McPlant has fewer calories than the equivalent hamburger and it is a bit healthier than processed red meat. I might be wrong but I think the patty is pea protein plus other stuff including coconut and beet.

I accept the salt and fat content is high and it is still junk food.

Edit.

These are the ingredients of the Beyond Meat burgers McDonalds use. They advertise it as no soya, no gluten.

Water, Pea Protein*(16%), Rapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Flavouring, Stabiliser (Methyl Cellulose), Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Colour (Beetroot Red), Maltodextrin, Pomegranate Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Concentrated Lemon Juice, Maize Vinegar, Carrot Powder, Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin).

The contentious ingredients are salts and coconut oil. Coconut oil is high in saturated fat but a McPlant burger is still lower overall in saturated fat than the meat equivalent. And perhaps Methyl cellulose and Maltodextrin are contentious too, whatever they are.

Lecithins aren't good. Just 16% pea protein and the rest made up of fillers, starches and emulsifiers. Not anywhere near healthy but as a fast food vegan option it's a start.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 26, 2022, 05:11:27 pm by River Don »
Must admit, I don't know much about lecithins but reading this, it doesn't appear to be too bad. Particularly not the sunflower variety.

What are your concerns about it CDH?

https://www.healthline.com/health/lecithin-benefits

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 26, 2022, 05:22:19 pm by River Don »
Here's the nutritional breakdown.

Beyond burger

* Calories: 270
* Fat: 20 g (6 g saturated fat)
* Sodium: 380 mg
* Carbohydrates: 5 g
* Fiber: 3 g
* Sugars: 0 g
* Protein: 20 g

Beef burger

* Calories: 287
* Fat: 23 g (9 g saturated fat)
* Sodium: 75 mg
* Carbohydrates: 0 g
* Fiber: 0 g
* Protein: 19 g

The plant burger looks a little better than beef in everything except salt content which is shockingly high.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 27, 2022, 10:05:30 am by Axholme Lion »
Here's the nutritional breakdown.

Beyond burger

* Calories: 270
* Fat: 20 g (6 g saturated fat)
* Sodium: 380 mg
* Carbohydrates: 5 g
* Fiber: 3 g
* Protein: 20 g

Beef burger

* Calories: 287
* Fat: 23 g (9 g saturated fat)
* Sodium: 75 mg
* Carbohydrates: 0 g
* Fiber: 0 g
* Protein: 19 g

The plant burger looks a little better than beef in everything except salt content which is shockingly high.

Salt is the silent killer.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 12, 2022, 08:49:38 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Not to mention that many of the ingredients used in alternative meat substitute products are produced in countries miles away and thus leave a shocking carbon footprint.

Coconut Oil. Soya. Chickpeas, amongst other ingredients.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 12, 2022, 09:54:01 pm by normal rules »
I remember documentaries years ago that showed how McDonald’s have laid bare millions of acres of arable land in the USA by polluting soil with fertiliser that made cows grow fat fast.
I don’t think their business model has changed much.
Mc plant has the same carbon footprint as a chicken burger.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 12, 2022, 09:56:36 pm by normal rules »
Another thing mc do won’t tell you. Plant proteins are not readily absorbed by the human body in comparision to animal based proteins. So, you will really need to increase your intake of plant proteins to make up for their less absorption in body. Also plant proteins tend to hinder the absorption of several minerals from your digestive tract.
All good then.
Enjoy your mc f**kup

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 12, 2022, 09:56:50 pm by rich1471 »
Watch the founder on Netflix about MC Donald's,Also buying British food out of season has a worst carbon footprint than important it from Europe.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 12, 2022, 11:21:33 pm by danumdon »
The same can be said for alcohol free beer? if you cant or don't want to drink an alcoholic drink, why pretend beer?

Also it tastes rank.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 12, 2022, 11:24:41 pm by normal rules »
Mc do are doing what they always have.
Makes themselves look like they embrace the climate, but still make duck loads of money.
Remember the filo fish ? Healthy option.then the chicken burger?
Mc rib? Loads of bollox.
All a cover for the beef burger, which still sells 75 per second globally.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 12, 2022, 11:28:17 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
The same can be said for alcohol free beer? if you cant or don't want to drink an alcoholic drink, why pretend beer?

Also it tastes rank.

Amen to that.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 12, 2022, 11:39:53 pm by danumdon »
I think there's also been a big rush by the main players out there to get onto this meat free bandwagon.

Always ends the same, they will mass produce supposedly meat free vegan alternatives but when you look a little deeper you will find a host of dodgy high processed foods with really harmful additives.

Its pretty obvious really, if you want to eat healthy, cut the crap mass produced tat and eat fresh home cooked food, preferably organic, meat veg and fruit.

Its getting to the stage where the next big fad will be the three pills a day protein shots a la 1960's space b-movies.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 12, 2022, 11:48:01 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
I think there's also been a big rush by the main players out there to get onto this meat free bandwagon.

Always ends the same, they will mass produce supposedly meat free vegan alternatives but when you look a little deeper you will find a host of dodgy high processed foods with really harmful additives.

Its pretty obvious really, if you want to eat healthy, cut the crap mass produced tat and eat fresh home cooked food, preferably organic, meat veg and fruit.

Its getting to the stage where the next big fad will be the three pills a day protein shots a la 1960's space b-movies.

Spot on.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 13, 2022, 09:52:09 am by River Don »
Mc do are doing what they always have.
Makes themselves look like they embrace the climate, but still make duck loads of money.
Remember the filo fish ? Healthy option.then the chicken burger?
Mc rib? Loads of bollox.
All a cover for the beef burger, which still sells 75 per second globally.

The fillet o fish was never introduced as a healthy option. In fact it's one of the least healthy items on the menu.

No. fillet o fish came about because they needed a kosher option on Fridays in strongly Catholic areas.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 13, 2022, 10:04:21 am by River Don »
Not to mention that many of the ingredients used in alternative meat substitute products are produced in countries miles away and thus leave a shocking carbon footprint.

Coconut Oil. Soya. Chickpeas, amongst other ingredients.

Coconut oil is the one in this product. It's a bit harsh criticising McDs particularly for food miles when the vast majority of the food industry in the UK is guilty of that.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 13, 2022, 10:06:07 am by River Don »
I remember documentaries years ago that showed how McDonald’s have laid bare millions of acres of arable land in the USA by polluting soil with fertiliser that made cows grow fat fast.
I don’t think their business model has changed much.
Mc plant has the same carbon footprint as a chicken burger.

McDonalds in the UK only use UK and Irish sourced meat. Different standards here.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 13, 2022, 10:35:42 am by River Don »
Without wanting to defend McDonalds too much, it's worth remembering they abide by the rules of whichever country they operate in and compete in the market.

If we want more healthy, locally grown food, then really we need government that legislates for it. Remember though it would mean restricted options, seasonal produce and more expensive food. And we keep voting for a government that is ideologically opposed to standards, restrictions and 'red tape'. I would suggest the problem there is as much to do with the electorate as McDonalds.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 13, 2022, 11:28:55 am by Ldr »
Easy way to address a lot of things. McDonald’s introduce Soylent Green

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 13, 2022, 03:18:18 pm by rich1471 »

Also it tastes rank.
ghost ship and Becks blue is very good and piston head do one called flat tyre as well

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 13, 2022, 03:37:52 pm by River Don »

Also it tastes rank.
ghost ship and Becks blue is very good and piston head do one called flat tyre as well

That Punk brand do cans of IPA that's alright. Peroni isn't bad either.

It's not the same as a beer but given the choice between that or a J2O or a Coke, I'd probably go for low alcohol beer. If I wasn't drinking.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on February 13, 2022, 04:21:41 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Closest alcohol free beer i've found to the real thing is by a Swedish brewery called Brutal Brewing and it is called Ship full of IPA. In a small stubby bottle with a yellow label. It's actually lovely stuff but so expensive.

Can't drink any other alcohol free beer.

Anyone had Old Speckled Hen alcohol free? Gordon bennett. It's like drinking motor oil.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 13, 2022, 08:29:54 pm by rich1471 »
Closest alcohol free beer i've found to the real thing is by a Swedish brewery called Brutal Brewing and it is called Ship full of IPA. In a small stubby bottle with a yellow label. It's actually lovely stuff but so expensive.

Anyone had Old Speckled Hen alcohol free? Gordon bennett. It's like drinking motor oil.
some of them are shocking ,doombar is terrible

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 13, 2022, 09:22:24 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

some of them are shocking ,doombar is terrible

Yep. Totally. I've had the gluten free Doom Bar. Undrinkable.

It does seem that for lagers, there are much more palatable options out there for alcohol free, however when it comes to ales, a lot just seem to taste like mucky rainwater.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012