Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:39:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Rotherham United game  (Read 7425 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Rotherham United game
« on January 30, 2022, 09:11:32 am by selby »
  Will lady luck turn up on our side for this game, certainly we will need it against the best team in the division in my Opinion.
  They deserve all the plaudits they get, are the most economical side in the division, what you see is what you get game after game, everyone in their team know exactly what they should be doing, and they are one of the fittest sides there has ever been at any level, something they pride themselves on and rightly so.
  We meanwhile are seeing some green chutes of better  things to come, are ourselves a lot fitter side under the new management team, play at a higher tempo and with a little flair being showed by some of the players, but still have a massive problem at both ends of the field. we are wasteful when we get a chance in front of goal, in fact in yesterdays game and at Cambridge it bordered on schoolkid stuff, and at the other end we just don't get rid of the ball from the danger area, and don't seem to have the composure to kick the ball with any venom topping and scuffing the ball at vital moments, and we rarely seem to have the run of the ball, or get the referee decision our opponents seem to get in games.
  Despite this we are getting better for the time being our support seem to be acknowledging it and are getting behind the team mostly, and would dearly love things to change if only briefly for this game, most hoping for the best but really maybe fearing the worse, can we spring a surprise? are you going to the game with any hope? will we shock the Rotherham fans who will be rocking up expecting an easy three points? Will we have another new face on show with a late signing in the window?
   Lots to discuss and look forward to about this game, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Rotherham United game
« Reply #1 on January 30, 2022, 09:18:51 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Another performance like yesterday would be fantastic albeit being sharper in front of goal and concentrating more at the back. Then we have a chance.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 30, 2022, 09:47:20 am by sedwardsdrfc »
We really shouldn't win the game but weirdly you can see us winning this 1-0 similar to MK.

Reality is just keep our performance levels up and the results will come against sides a bit lower down the table no problem

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 30, 2022, 10:08:31 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Wouldn't change things too much given the short turnaround, just swap left backs.

Go for the same intensity and bravery to break the lines and hope we convert more of the chances. If we can get a lead going into the second half, then maybe bring Clayton on.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 30, 2022, 10:09:38 am by Chris Black come back »
Rotherham have the best away defensive record of the 92 league clubs. In their 13 away league games this season, they have conceded just 5 goals. They’ve kept 7 clean sheets and conceded just 1 goal in each of the other 5 away games. They don’t score that many away from home but they have an unbelievable away defensive record in the league this season. 

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 30, 2022, 04:14:13 pm by Campsall rover »
Rotherham have the best away defensive record of the 92 league clubs. In their 13 away league games this season, they have conceded just 5 goals. They’ve kept 7 clean sheets and conceded just 1 goal in each of the other 5 away games. They don’t score that many away from home but they have an unbelievable away defensive record in the league this season.
We are nailed on to score at least 2 goals then.  ;)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 30, 2022, 05:04:56 pm by scawsby steve »
Unfortunately, if ever there was a team who are tailor made for the Millers, it's this Rovers team. There's no doubt that GM has improved the side, especially with the new signings; however, it's still a young lightweight team, that'll have to go up against those giants that play a constant direct physical game.

Coupled up with that, of course, is the old problem of not being able to take chances, and not being able to defend for 90 minutes.

I can't see anything other than a defeat, but I desperately want you all to be able to come on here on Tuesday and take the p*ss out of me.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 30, 2022, 05:14:29 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
I can see a few changes in this game and think we will have Clayton in from the start because we will need to be more physical in the midfield. I’d go with Clayton, Rowe and Smith in the midfield (smith should be in over Galbraith imo as Galbraith not been anywhere near how he started the season and smith has been our best player in the last few months and keeps getting better). Would also bring Jackson in, Horton has been good going forward but is shaky defensively and is someone opposition teams are targeting, would defo look to play him further forward longer term. Think it will be the same front 3 but wouldn’t be too surprised if the new signing comes in from the start instead of Mipo or Dodoo.

Jones

Knoyle Younger Olowu Jackson

Smith Clayton Rowe

Dodoo Mipo Martin

Subs:
Mitchell
Seaman
Horton
Galbraith
Hasani/Barlow
Agard
New Signing

It’s a big risk bringing all the new signings in and playing most of them at once because it will take them time to gel but at least the games coming up are against teams we don’t expect to be beating and aren’t against teams that will define our season, we just need to pick up points where we can against these team and make sure we get consistent points against the teams around us. If we had beat Morecambe and Fleetwood we would only be 2 points off safety and the table would look a lot better, there’s still a chance we can stay up but we have to beat the teams around us and grind points out of the top teams like we did at MK.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 30, 2022, 06:06:38 pm by Campsall rover »
I would think we we need 8 wins and 4 draws from our last 18 games
That gives us another 28 points + the 19 we have now. Total 47
That is the bare minimum I would expect us to need.

It is a massive ask and quite frankly it is not a realistic one.
Unless we get some points on the board in our matches v Rotherham, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Lincoln & Wednesday we are going to leave too much to do in some of the easier games ( on paper, no easy games ) in the following fixtures.
How many of the these games will we need to win, Accrington, Gillingham, Wimbledon, Crewe, Cheltenham, Fleetwood, Shrewsbury &  Burton.
Nearly all unless we pick up quite a few points this month.

I am always the optimist but if we get out of the bottom 4 it will be some achievement.
The important thing is we get some momentum before the season end and have a squad capable of automatic promotion next season back to this league.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 30, 2022, 06:36:32 pm by selby »
  Steve I think everyone would be of the same mind as far as seeing us getting a result from this game, but football is a funny game, we can't take chances, Rotherham don't give goals away, and usually without explanation once a season a team have every chance fly in, and conversely a secure defence let howlers in. I will say a prayer Tuesday is the day.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 30, 2022, 06:43:23 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Agard should start IMO.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 30, 2022, 06:59:48 pm by Campsall rover »
  Steve I think everyone would be of the same mind as far as seeing us getting a result from this game, but football is a funny game, we can't take chances, Rotherham don't give goals away, and usually without explanation once a season a team have every chance fly in, and conversely a secure defence let howlers in. I will say a prayer Tuesday is the day.
Anything is possible as you say Brian. You just never know. If every result was a forgone conclusion then there would not be any point in playing the game.
Tuesday could just be our night. I will not be putting money on it though.  Would be great though if we did turn them over.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 31, 2022, 03:56:22 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Rotherham underestimating our side could swing it our way. If we get chances we have to take them. The concentration at the back needs to be spot on. We have to stop the crosses coming into the box, because once they are in there, the Rotherham strikers and centre halves coming up for corners etc, would have the edge on our lads at the back aerially. I see a narrow win for us.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 31, 2022, 08:26:59 am by colincramb »
Strong wind again and physicality. 2 things we failed to deal with on Saturday. Can’t see anything other than a similar outcome I'm afraid.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 31, 2022, 08:42:53 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Just to remind you all again Rotherham have never been behind in any league match all season...  AT HALF TIME  and all 22 players are fit ..meaning no injuries

Accrington Giants beat them at their own game 1-0 and mighty Fleetwood "kippered" them twice .. As we know they are very vulnerable on the breakaway and hopefully vulnerable to "events today"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 11:22:47 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 31, 2022, 08:43:38 am by Chris Black come back »

Should also highlight that despite our modestly respectable home record all things considered, we have scored the second least goals at home in League One this season (12 - only Gillingham with 10 have scored less). Put these two posts together and it does not look good on the basis of past evidence.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 31, 2022, 08:49:04 am by jamesrover17 »
An absolute pasting I am afraid, can't see anything else, Oluwu and Younger will have a job on with Smith

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 31, 2022, 09:20:50 am by roversdude »
I’m hoping Smith moves today and Warne goes to Sunderland but in reality we will need a backs to the wall performance. We need to stop crosses coming in so I think I’d start Jackson in place of Horton and maybe Clayton in place of Galbraith.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 31, 2022, 10:28:57 am by drfchound »
Just to remind you all again Rotherham have never been behind in any league match all season and all 22 players are fit ..meaning no injuries

Accrington Giants beat them at their own game 1-0 and mighty Fleetwood "kippered" them twice .. As we know they are very vulnerable on the breakaway and hopefully vulnerable to "events today"

If Rotherham have never been behind in any league match all season how come they have lost five league matches?

eight over

« Reply #19 on January 31, 2022, 10:49:30 am by eight over »
Not been outplayed on too many occasions. Fleetwood at home destroyed us. The defeats at Accy and Fleetwood were largely against the run of play, but the trend and the results say we struggle against teams at the bottom.

Its a local derby anything is possible!

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 31, 2022, 11:26:40 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Just to remind you all again Rotherham have never been behind in any league match all season and all 22 players are fit ..meaning no injuries

If Rotherham have never been behind in any league match all season how come they have lost five league matches?

so someone actually reads my posts  :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:  just testing you all ... Please insert at half time...  A "Johnsonic" mistake

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 31, 2022, 02:49:39 pm by drfc1951 »
Only audio available on IFollow for some reason.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 31, 2022, 02:58:15 pm by colincramb »
Unless we compete physically then we will be in for long night. If we can replicate the first half against Plymouth but be more clinical and sustain this over more of the 90 minutes than just 45/50 then we have a chance against anybody in this league.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 31, 2022, 03:11:28 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Only audio available on IFollow for some reason.

Really annoying as I now can't make the game and was hoping to watch it at home despite the cost.  Ah well.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 31, 2022, 03:35:01 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Griffiths double hattrick.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 31, 2022, 03:40:21 pm by steve@dcfd »

I believe it’s they never been behind up to half time in any of their games.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 31, 2022, 03:59:19 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Unless we compete physically then we will be in for long night. If we can replicate the first half against Plymouth but be more clinical and sustain this over more of the 90 minutes than just 45/50 then we have a chance against anybody in this league.

Agree with this. Although it's sad that it has taken until just about the beginning of February to start having some real belief. Not false belief but real belief. Based on a superb overall performance against Plymouth where we wasted a shit load of chances and made stupid errors at the back. Again. But replicate that performance, be a bit more robust, stick some in when we get the chances and don't make daft mistakes like leaving their players for free headers etc and we can get summat here.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 31, 2022, 04:00:51 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

It's a good job then that it is the result at full time that matters.  ;) We should do a Fleetwood and sucker punch them in the dying embers.

Friendly Miller

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 31, 2022, 05:05:19 pm by Friendly Miller »

We were behind in the first half at home to Fleetwood, but we led 2-1 at half time, then lost 4-2.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 31, 2022, 08:17:54 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Just seen these stats about meetings between the two teams:

Doncaster rovers have lost just 1 of their last 10 home football league games against Rotherham United (W5, D4), including wins in 3 of the last 4 such games (D1).

Rotherham won the reverse fixture in august 2-0, while victory at the Eco-power Stadium for the millers would see them record a league double over Doncaster for the first time since 1997-98, and the first time in the third tier of English football since 1970-71.

Doncaster have failed to win any of their last 14 football league games on a Tuesday (D3, L11), conceding 31 goals and scoring just 7 goals during that time.

Rotherham’s Michael Smith has scored 4 goals in 5 starts against Doncaster in the football league, including both goals for the millers in their 2-0 win against them in August.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012