Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 08:56:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bostock  (Read 9663 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Bostock
« Reply #60 on April 12, 2022, 12:35:53 pm by ravenrover »
I didn't see what others did in Clayton tbh. Steady & unspectacular with the ball, looked like a card waiting to happen without it, no mobility whatsoever. The best thing I can credit him with is lasting 90 minutes.

You say a card waiting to happen but he didn’t get booked and made a few very good tactical fouls. That’s a big part of the game in the middle of that midfield. He’s looked ok in the last couple of games. I was (and probably still am) as sceptical as anyone about signing him as well.
He pulled out of two "tackles" that had yellow written all over them, because he didn't have the pace to get to the ball

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on April 12, 2022, 03:01:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Players of his quality with pace cost money.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on April 12, 2022, 03:25:40 pm by GazLaz »
Players of his quality with pace cost money.

He had no real pace when he played in the Premier League.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on April 12, 2022, 03:40:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bostock is our best player. It’s obvious.

May as well close this thread now mods!

He's certainly our most talented. But if you're going to use him, you need to set up the side to account for the fact that he's never going to put a shift in.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on April 12, 2022, 03:54:24 pm by GazLaz »

He's certainly our most talented. But if you're going to use him, you need to set up the side to account for the fact that he's never going to put a shift in.

How he ranks amongst the 6 senior midfielders we have used this season (Bostock, Smith, Galbraith, Gardner, Close and Clayton [very small sample]) for off the ball metrics (per 90mins)…

Tackles- 6th
Interceptions- 1st
Interceptions in opposition half- 1st
Regains- 1st
Blocks- 3rd
Challenges- 2nd
Aerial challenges- 1st
Defensive actions- 1st
Least errors leading to goals- 1st

That’s without mentioning his strengths…

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on April 12, 2022, 04:42:23 pm by Bessie Red »

How he ranks amongst the 6 senior midfielders we have used this season (Bostock, Smith, Galbraith, Gardner, Close and Clayton [very small sample]) for off the ball metrics (per 90mins)…

Tackles- 6th
Interceptions- 1st
Interceptions in opposition half- 1st
Regains- 1st
Blocks- 3rd
Challenges- 2nd
Aerial challenges- 1st
Defensive actions- 1st
Least errors leading to goals- 1st

That’s without mentioning his strengths…
Wasn't he top of the interception stats for League 1 earlier in the season before he got injured. He is like a Rolls Royce in a Skoda garage thats how good he is for us!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on April 12, 2022, 04:59:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Best of an extremely limited bunch, for  sure. But you're also dealing with a small sample in terms of his minutes on the pitch. Plus, those stats need to be considered in the context of the fact that of his 13 starts, 8 have come against lower half of the table sides (at the time we played them, or, in the case of the first couple or three games when the league table hadn't settled down, sides that spent most of the season below halfway).

Accrington
Portsmouth
Cambridge
Cheltenham
Charlton
Lincoln
Crewe
Gillingham

He's only made five starts against sides in the top half
Sheff Weds
MK Dons
Wycombe x2
Rotherham

He only finished 2 of those and was substituted with 25-30 minutes to go in the other three because he was blowing out of his arse.

In other words, his time on the pitch has been disproportionately against weaker sides in the division.

I agree he has a glorious football brain. But unless he can put that to use for 90 minutes on a regular basis, I really don't see him playing much higher than he is at the moment. He would be physically run off his feet in the Championship.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on April 12, 2022, 05:27:28 pm by DonnyOsmond »
BST:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on April 12, 2022, 08:02:52 pm by drfchound »

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on April 12, 2022, 09:07:43 pm by TheFunk »
He also won more headers in 90 minutes, than all the competition winners who've played upfront this season with all their minutes added together.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on April 13, 2022, 12:04:49 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Not sure what your point is DO.

I've agreed that Bostock is our most technically gifted player. But from a quick look at the numbers, he's played fewer than 400 minutes this season against the sides around the top end of the division, as opposed to getting on for three times that amount against lower table sides. My point is that his performance stats have to be viewed in that context.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on April 13, 2022, 04:58:14 am by GazLaz »
His numbers are slightly BETTER vs the sides in the top half when compared minute for minute. Our player ratings are modelled from about 150 data points. Positional average for his position is 6.49 (out of 10). He is +0.19 which is phenomenal really when you consider how far below average the team he is playing in is. Obviously the team performance has an affect on individual scores. To put that into context Tommy Rowe is -0.24 below average (slight room for discrepancy there as he’s played in multiple positions).

For further context Herbie Kane, who has been playing a similar deep playmaker role for Oxford, operating in a team that wins a lot of games rates +0.49 above average.

To add a further layer of context, the only player (19 of them in total) from one of the bottom 6 teams; that has started 10 or more games; that plays the same position and has a higher rating is Dan Batty at Fleetwood. +0.45 above average (likely to be helped by the fact he’s also scored a couple of goals vs Bostock none). Batty played 60 games in the championship in the two seasons prior to joining Fleetwood.

That’s enough about JB for one day it’s 4:30am and going to sleep may be the optimal option.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 05:01:58 am by GazLaz »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on April 13, 2022, 06:24:57 am by Chris Black come back »
Key point however is that we are getting relegated and he will not be with us in League Two next season. Enjoy or dismiss him while you can!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on April 13, 2022, 06:54:25 am by graingrover »
BST of you look at his career he has played against opponents way above  this level and excelled .
I find it hard to look beyond Sheff Wednesday for him this summer . Moore believes in him and there seems  to be mutual respect .
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 07:04:04 am by graingrover »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on April 13, 2022, 07:17:25 am by Chris Black come back »
His numbers are slightly BETTER vs the sides in the top half when compared minute for minute. Our player ratings are modelled from about 150 data points. Positional average for his position is 6.49 (out of 10). He is +0.19 which is phenomenal really when you consider how far below average the team he is playing in is. Obviously the team performance has an affect on individual scores. To put that into context Tommy Rowe is -0.24 below average (slight room for discrepancy there as he’s played in multiple positions).

For further context Herbie Kane, who has been playing a similar deep playmaker role for Oxford, operating in a team that wins a lot of games rates +0.49 above average.

To add a further layer of context, the only player (19 of them in total) from one of the bottom 6 teams; that has started 10 or more games; that plays the same position and has a higher rating is Dan Batty at Fleetwood. +0.45 above average (likely to be helped by the fact he’s also scored a couple of goals vs Bostock none). Batty played 60 games in the championship in the two seasons prior to joining Fleetwood.

That’s enough about JB for one day it’s 4:30am and going to sleep may be the optimal option.

Think what you are saying here is that Kane continues to be an absolute baller. Very pleased to see this. Was concerned he was going nowhere at Oxford but maybe have a Lundstrum career ahead of him now.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on April 13, 2022, 10:21:42 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Best of an extremely limited bunch, for  sure. But you're also dealing with a small sample in terms of his minutes on the pitch. Plus, those stats need to be considered in the context of the fact that of his 13 starts, 8 have come against lower half of the table sides (at the time we played them, or, in the case of the first couple or three games when the league table hadn't settled down, sides that spent most of the season below halfway).

Accrington
Portsmouth
Cambridge
Cheltenham
Charlton
Lincoln
Crewe
Gillingham

He's only made five starts against sides in the top half
Sheff Weds
MK Dons
Wycombe x2
Rotherham

He only finished 2 of those and was substituted with 25-30 minutes to go in the other three because he was blowing out of his arse.

In other words, his time on the pitch has been disproportionately against weaker sides in the division.

I agree he has a glorious football brain. But unless he can put that to use for 90 minutes on a regular basis, I really don't see him playing much higher than he is at the moment. He would be physically run off his feet in the Championship.
I didn’t watch him there but Forest fans loved him while he was there.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on April 13, 2022, 11:31:54 pm by RoversAlias »
Forest fans may have liked Bostock but he played all of 9 games for them in a whole season, so it wasn't a lot to go off really.

Of those 9 games, he started once in the league, his longest appearance lasting 56 minutes and 4 of his appearances were for less than 15 minutes as a sub. Aside from two 90 minute outings in the early rounds of the League Cup, he barely featured all season.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on April 14, 2022, 07:21:36 am by 5minstogo »
He's undoubtedly talented but will he offer value in minutes versus wage demands?

bigal

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on April 14, 2022, 08:41:33 am by bigal »
No what good is a midfield player, who does not score goals

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on April 14, 2022, 08:47:30 am by Campsall rover »
Way over rated imo.

Can pass a ball but that’s it.  No legs. Can’t score goals. Tackling is very so so.

There is a reason why he is not playing at a higher level.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on April 14, 2022, 09:15:40 am by GazLaz »
Way over rated imo.

Can pass a ball but that’s it.  No legs. Can’t score goals. Tackling is very so so.

Iniesta scored two goals in his last four seasons at Barca. He was ok. It all depends what their role is in the team. Would you want four JBs in your midfield? Obviously not. Is he an exceptional platform to get the best out of the players around him and make them better? Certainly.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on April 14, 2022, 09:27:01 am by pib »
Way over rated imo.

On the evidence of our performances this season, we shouldn't take for granted the ability of a footballer to pass the ball well.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on April 14, 2022, 09:59:42 am by ForsolongaRover »
He has some sophisticated qualities that so many of the current team lack, but he is no Whiteman, Stock or Wellens. He is too passive for me and as many have said, does not tackle.

Surrounded by more competitive team mates who would fulfil the functions he lacks, he would be OK, but only OK - in my view.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on April 14, 2022, 10:24:54 am by Metalmicky »
He has some sophisticated qualities that so many of the current team lack, but he is no Whiteman, Stock or Wellens. He is too passive for me and as many have said, does not tackle.

Surrounded by more competitive team mates who would fulfil the functions he lacks, he would be OK, but only OK - in my view.

THB, Bostock isn't a midfield dynamo or battler - his game is more refined, and in a team that supports this role he does a good job.  I also believe we are a better team with him than without him, and I think he is most definitely worth his shirt. 

I'd agree that he can play a bit negatively at times, but I also think that is reflective of the team he is currently playing in.

I don't think he will stay with us, but if he does - and stays fit - he could have a field day in Div 2.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on April 14, 2022, 10:33:56 am by Chris Black come back »
He’s a good player at this level, no doubt. We are not going to be at this level though next season and neither is he. Due to his injuries and fitness, and our general pathetic form, we’ve probably not seen the best of him in his 18 months here. Hope he finds a decent move for himself as he probably has one last chance to play in the Championship at a good level if he plays his cards right.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on April 14, 2022, 10:35:15 am by DonnyOsmond »
Way over rated imo.

John Bostock isn't a box-to-box midfielder.
John Bostock isn't a defensive midfielder.
John Bostock is a playmaker.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on April 14, 2022, 01:28:33 pm by Campsall rover »
Way over rated imo.

John Bostock isn't a box-to-box midfielder.
John Bostock isn't a defensive midfielder.
John Bostock is a playmaker.
Play makers are allowed to move after they have passed the ball.  He rarely moves more than 5/10 yards.
Now I don’t know any other play maker who is as static as he is.
I have been watching pro football since 1962/63 season.

Not saying he hasn’t ability but he is as said no Whiteman, Stock, Wellens, I Snodin and I could go on and on and on.
Just my opinion.

Having said that he is worth his place in our team right now.  With Clayton doing the holding role I would prefer a 100% fit Ben Close as he is the more complete player for me.

In this current team though, yes we do need Bostock.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 01:31:37 pm by Campsall rover »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on April 15, 2022, 05:45:28 pm by Filo »
Again best player on the pitch

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on April 15, 2022, 05:51:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
For the 74 minutes he was on.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on April 15, 2022, 05:54:26 pm by EasyforDennis »
I thought Martin was our best player today. Closely followed by Bostock.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012