Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 10:55:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paul Goodwin DFP  (Read 9602 times)

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
Paul Goodwin DFP
« on June 09, 2022, 09:41:12 am by no eyed deer »
You can't argue with what he has put. Especially regarding the owners stepping forward.

I think there is enough quality in the side and with a few good acquisition, to be mid table with a play-off push.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Re: Paul Goodwin DFP
« Reply #1 on June 09, 2022, 09:46:07 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I would be very disappointed if we finish mid table, our expectations have lowered considerably. Last season really has done a number on our confidence. Play offs should be minimum. If we can’t build a squad to get out of league two, we really are lost.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 09, 2022, 10:15:07 am by silent majority »
I'm not sure he's said anything that anybody on this forum hasn't already said.

I take issue with him on his description of the shadow board as an activity that is meant to 'appease fans'. It has absolutely nothing to do with that at all and came directly out of the recommendations of the Fan Led Review, and rather than wait for a rubber stamping of that recommendation we set about transforming the supporters board to a shadow board and the changes that entailed.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 09, 2022, 10:33:23 am by Glyn_Wigley »
You can't argue with what he has put. Especially regarding the owners stepping forward.

I think there is enough quality in the side and with a few good acquisition, to be mid table with a play-off push.

I can't argue with anything I haven't seen. Care to give us a link so we know what you're talking about?

1-0 to the Doncaster

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 09, 2022, 10:40:28 am by 1-0 to the Doncaster »
Expect bottom half of table up to Christmas. Manager will then be sacked and we’ll finish outside of play offs. Mcsheffery is high risk and he should have gone immediately after the last game.
With the investment in playing and coach staff automatic should be minimum.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 09, 2022, 10:57:26 am by drfchound »
The article is easy enough to find with a five second google search.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention NED.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 09, 2022, 11:30:28 am by Lincoln Rover »
As the proud chair of the Shadow board I’ve posted on Mr Godwin’s article. OUR club & the forming of the SB ( as explained by SM) is miles ahead of other clubs in holding the club to account in terms of business etc. As far as I’m aware the author has made no attempt to explore what we do or how we work, or even communicate with us. Clearly a quiet time for the DFP I suggest & will all the spare time available perhaps he should explore a little further.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 09, 2022, 11:38:22 am by graingrover »
He is guilty of  lazy journalism and would be totally lost without  this forum to cherry pick information from .

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 09, 2022, 11:59:44 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Nothing new in that is there.

Seriously though mid table isn't acceptable. I can see it in the short term for the 1st few months of the season because GM is our manager still and given his record it's not possible to be confident in him.

But with the right coach (GM hopefully proves to be that) for us to be midtable in L2 will be another disaster season.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 09, 2022, 12:13:43 pm by steve@dcfd »
He is guilty of  lazy journalism and would be totally lost without  this forum to cherry pick information from .
He won’t after next week when he interviews the management team, that have been put forward now. Pity the top three at the club won’t speak to him as yet.

One good thing the business side of the club being looked after by the top 3 at the club and the 10 people on the shadow board.
Let’s hope that transfers to the results on the pitch next season from the management team and players and we do bounce back decisively into League 1 or that will be judged as a failure mid table is nowhere near success.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/paul-goodwins-doncaster-rovers-qa-interviews-coverage-transfers-and-summer-wish-list-3724380
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 12:24:31 pm by steve@dcfd »

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 09, 2022, 12:14:34 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Seeing how Bradford have done in this league doesn't fill me with confidence.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 09, 2022, 12:50:23 pm by since-1969 »
I would be very disappointed if we finish mid table, our expectations have lowered considerably. Last season really has done a number on our confidence. Play offs should be minimum. If we can’t build a squad to get out of league two, we really are lost.
This has to the first time that I can remember where we go into L2 campaign not feeling that those in charge are committed to  the task make a fist of a top 3 spot! Or even confident that it will happen !!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 09, 2022, 12:54:09 pm by roversdude »
The board have already held their hands up and admitted things weren’t right, following that they were true to their word and changed the structure.
Hopefully Goodwin can build bridges with the club and help to get fans back onside. The lazy journalism and regurgitation of forum comments certainly hasn’t helped
By the way it could be that the top 3 just aren’t available they are entitled to holidays

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 09, 2022, 12:55:36 pm by roversdude »
This has to the first time that I can remember where we go into L2 campaign not feeling that those in charge are committed to  the task make a fist of a top 3 spot! Or even confident that it will happen !!

Really I feel the opposite and can’t wait for the season to start

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 09, 2022, 01:04:08 pm by idler »
Padge, I don’t see the comparison that easily.
Bradford’s ills started when the two Germans Stefan Rupp and Edin Rahic bought City.
They thought that they knew best and instead of kicking on after losing to Millwall at Wembley they got rid of the best players.
The interference of Rahic the junior partner who held some coaching badges was the main part of this and the following shambles.
Foreign owners looking at potential future profits rather than local businessmen wanting to promote their home city.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 09, 2022, 02:16:22 pm by no eyed deer »
I'm not sure he's said anything that anybody on this forum hasn't already said.

I take issue with him on his description of the shadow board as an activity that is meant to 'appease fans'. It has absolutely nothing to do with that at all and came directly out of the recommendations of the Fan Led Review, and rather than wait for a rubber stamping of that recommendation we set about transforming the supporters board to a shadow board and the changes that entailed.

Probably not, but only just been given the opportunity  to discuss it.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 02:32:39 pm by no eyed deer »

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 09, 2022, 02:17:27 pm by no eyed deer »

I would too, but we need a 20+ striker and I don't think we will have one.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 09, 2022, 02:44:35 pm by ForsolongaRover »
The Shadow Board will undoubtedly be expected to shoulder a share of the criticism as well as the credit hereonin.

It will be interesting to see how they will relate to their constituency and this forum in particular.

I imagine that it is easier to talk about openness and the sharing of information than doing it in practice. This could be particularly awkward if things are not going as well as they might and when there is a justifiable need for confidentiality which may not always be understood by their potential audience, the fans.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 09, 2022, 02:56:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Odd memory you have. In our third-last season at L2 level, we had an owner trying to put us out of business and succeeding in putting us out of the league.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 09, 2022, 06:41:11 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The article is easy enough to find with a five second google search.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention NED.

Even easier to find if an OP could include it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 09, 2022, 07:41:23 pm by drfchound »
LoL.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 09, 2022, 07:52:03 pm by Jonathan »

I think that’s really harsh Brian. I’ve met Paul on several occasions and can vouch for the fact he’s a good guy and dedicated to his field. He’s acknowledged himself in the article that it’s not easy to constantly put out fresh content during the break when there’s nobody available to speak to from the club. Working for the local news outlets (through cutbacks) must be an increasingly challenging job and I appreciate all of our local journalists, alongside those (ITEN etc.) that produce relevant content for our consumption.

I may not always agree with the editorial but that’s  just part of life. I can’t accept that anyone working in that field is lazy.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 09, 2022, 08:03:25 pm by graingrover »
Hi Jonathan , by lazy I was referring to his regular cut and paste type articles .I would welcome a local journalist who breaks new ground in terms of the people he interviews and the new information he brings.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 09, 2022, 08:13:53 pm by PDX_Rover »

Odd memory you have. In our third-last season at L2 level, we had an owner trying to put us out of business and succeeding in putting us out of the league.

He hasn’t has a positive thing to say since 1969.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 09, 2022, 08:34:47 pm by roversdude »

He hasn’t has a positive thing to say since 1969.

Brilliant

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 10, 2022, 01:31:30 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It does get tiresome the constant regurgitation of the same story. You pay for journalists to get you the interviews others can’t. We can all read our opinions on here, it would be nice for him to talk to ex players, get interviews with potential signings. Create contacts and be in the know. It’s easy to copy others work, be different from everyone else.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 10, 2022, 07:51:53 am by DRNaith »
I'm convinced whenever he posts a Rovers related article,he then jumps on here to see if it's caused a reaction.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 10, 2022, 08:15:59 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Wise decision for the board to leave the talking to the football people. Whatever they would have said at the minute will be criticised due to our relegation. Baldwin seems to have wound his swan neck in. He tried to be available to reporters but that led to him being blamed for everything.

If the signings coming in are good ones then onus goes onto the manager to be able to create a winning squad. Please for once this season let’s not have many injuries. The conditioning needs to be spot on pre season, then the manager has to cross his fingers and hope he gets the rub of the green.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 10, 2022, 12:25:58 pm by graingrover »
Though I don’t wish you over personalise the issue I feel that Liam Hoden got much closer to building. a relationship with the club which gave him access to people and on to information and to their views .Now he is employed by the club we can except a progressive shift in the way that not only information is disseminated but concerns from the fan base are dealt with on an ongoing basis .

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 10, 2022, 01:02:20 pm by Canadian Rover »
I understand that people are quick to write of Mcsheffrey; however he now has Eyre alongside him as the assistant manager who is vastly experienced. I expect to see his influence in the team.

I also don't think we have a set piece coach anymore? Maybe it's not needed?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012