Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:02:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Striker x2 - Luke Molyneux  (Read 10247 times)

les@donr

• Forum Member
Re: New Striker x2 - Luke Molyneux
« Reply #60 on June 21, 2022, 09:07:58 pm by les@donr »
At the Pools he played as their number 10.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on June 21, 2022, 09:09:02 pm by NickDRFC »
take a look at some of his goals:
https://twitter.com/lukemolyneux3

No disrespect to the new lad but I have seen these “look at his videos” posts before.
I remember the young lad we got from Man City (can’t remember his name though) and his videos showed some fantastic passes and goals.
I never saw anything similar when he played for us.

Key difference is that Kongolo’s highlights reel was in junior games, these goals are against teams we’re going to be playing next season. I’d never heard of Molyneux until today but he looks like a brilliant signing and one to really get the crowd on their feet.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on June 21, 2022, 09:13:48 pm by Campsall rover »
If we can run the legs off teams, then we earn the right to play more expansive, with freedom and skill.

McSheffrey hinted he wants to play this way but didn't have sufficient tools to do it.

This coming season could be a breath of fresh air and how we need it!

This.

McSheffrey has taken a lot of stick for the way we played and the results we got when he really hadn’t had the chance to put his stamp on it. When you listened to him it was clear that he didn’t want us to play how we did for much of his time in charge, but needs must and circumstances were against him and us.

We carried a load of injuries, the January window is not the time to do the level of business we needed and to an extent we just had to get by with a very unbalanced / inadequate squad.

So far we’ve recruited players that bring a much needed combination of intensity and end product and I think that gives an insight into how we’d actually like to play.

Personally I think this squad still needs a left back and a physical presence in both central midfield and attack. If we get those I feel we have a balanced squad with options to mix it, and we can probably afford to offload Dodoo and Hiwula in that case.

Whilst the job certainly isn’t done yet in terms of squad building, I’m delighted with the business we’ve done so far and if we can get our remaining targets in sooner rather than later then we can look to a pre-season of actually preparing and shaping the team, rather than scrambling around in the market as we so often have.

Props to the club here. The statement said we wanted to bounce back, the appointment of Copps has seen change and restructuring, and he and McSheffrey have so far done a great job of selling the club to the targets we’ve secured. It gives us something to feel hopeful about. But we need to stay grounded as this isn’t going to be an easy league at all and we’ll still be competing with some teams with big resources.
Couldn’t have put it better Jonathan. 100% bang on with that post.

Fact is we are a big fish in a relatively small pond in League 2 next season.
Only Bradford City could be considered a bigger club imo
We are on par with Swindon Town who get decent gates. They averaged about 8,000 last season and didn’t get promoted.
Stockport are on a resurgence at present and if they are up there next season fighting for promotion they will be getting 8,000+ gates.

We will need to be top 3 consistently i suspect to ave 7,000 + gates next season

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on June 21, 2022, 09:18:21 pm by roversdude »
My Poolie mate sent me this
“Now Yorkie, we all thought Mols was off to Peterborough. I saw him make his debut for Sunderland out wide against Wolves as a late sub. Beat his man on a couple of occasions. Was hit and miss under Dave Challinor who played him behind the front man and it wasn't really his game. Came into his own under Graeme Lee who played him out wide and cuts in from the wing. Ended up as our leading goal scorer with I think eleven goals. Also won player of the year award but personally he would have been my third choice.
 On the down side he is bit of a one trick pony coming in from the left and putting in a curling shot in which tended end up in the middle of the goal and straight into the keepers arms. Mind when he got it right some wonderful goals. He won our goal of the season v Harrogate away. Well worth a look on You tube.
Also had a tendency to drift in and out of games”

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on June 21, 2022, 09:22:27 pm by Alan Southstand »
Jonathan:

So far we’ve recruited players that bring a much needed combination of intensity and end product and I think that gives an insight into how we’d actually like to play.

Personally I think this squad still needs a left back and a physical presence in both central midfield and attack. If we get those I feel we have a balanced squad with options to mix it, and we can probably afford to offload Dodoo and Hiwula in that case.

Just to add an air of caution, Jon, I would add ‘on paper’ after the first that in the first para.

Agree wholeheartedly on your thoughts for the remaining squad building requirements. How we get a good, solid defensive midfielder in I don’t know, as GM has already gone on record to say they are rare commodities and, therefore, come at a price (which may be beyond us).

It’s heartening to see the improvement in both quality of player selected and the speedy and efficient way in which we’ve done our business to date. Fingers crossed, this continues and, whilst they’re still crossed, let’s hope all the injured lads have no set-backs.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on June 21, 2022, 09:35:15 pm by roversdude »
Must say - the pitch looks well in that photo behind LM

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on June 21, 2022, 09:37:53 pm by Butchers Red »
Just been in La Manga week before last, had a few beers there with Wayne and Harrison Biggins( he was on water !! ) - now I understand why he was so content and pleased about the move - about time we had some hope again eh !

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on June 21, 2022, 09:58:36 pm by selby »
 The best way for the club and the two players Dodoo and Hiwula to get on with their lives is to forget what happened last season, get fit and fired up, and make it difficult for the two new lads to take their place.
  That way other clubs will become interested, they will get their careers back on track, and will give our manager a decision to make when picking the team.
 While they are still here they are part of the playing staff, it is not a witch hunt, and it is a new season the last one is history.
  We had enough of those silly games last season, that soured the whole club for months, if they show in training, are fit to play, and in the managers opinion are the best players in form then they should be included in the team,and the other players on the books need to show they are even better and should play only if showing that, not because of who they are.
  The strikers shirts are there at the moment for four players to compete for, last year is over, gone, done with, and any player contracted has a shirt to play for if the manager chooses him,
until they move on.
  While here we should be looking for a team spirit, not carrying on the splits in the group there was last season and the one before.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:48:58 pm by selby »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on June 21, 2022, 10:17:50 pm by Chris Black come back »
Both have 12 months left. Hope we are not holding out for a fee for them.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on June 21, 2022, 10:30:09 pm by Campsall rover »
Jonathan:

Just to add an air of caution, Jon, I would add ‘on paper’ after the first that in the first para.

Agree wholeheartedly on your thoughts for the remaining squad building requirements. How we get a good, solid defensive midfielder in I don’t know, as GM has already gone on record to say they are rare commodities and, therefore, come at a price (which may be beyond us).

It’s heartening to see the improvement in both quality of player selected and the speedy and efficient way in which we’ve done our business to date. Fingers crossed, this continues and, whilst they’re still crossed, let’s hope all the injured lads have no set-backs.
Alan we have got Adam Clayton. While he is quite a creative player he also can tackle, has good positional sense, can read the game, loads of experience. He will be able to play that holding role in centre midfield.

The priority now for me is a left back.  Also a target man up front would be next priority.
Just some one who can play with his back to the goal and can hold the ball.
None of Griffiths, Miller, Hiwula, Dodoo or Agard are of that ilk.  In fact Hiwula is not a striker he is a winger really. Well he is supposed to be one. If he stays then he has serious competition for a wide birth with Taylor and Molyneux and will need to get his finger out or he won’t see much or any playing time at all.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:32:13 pm by Campsall rover »

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on June 21, 2022, 11:10:19 pm by Silkscarf »
I really don’t want to see Dodoo or Hiwula in our shirt again. They’ve had their chance and weren’t up to it. If they play for us again I’ll give them my support and hope they’ve improved mentally and physically. But I’d rather offload.

Agard I would like to see given a season as I haven’t seen him much. He’s barely played yet his record suggests he should be OK in Tier 4.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on June 22, 2022, 12:21:13 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I know we tend to resort to thinking we need a back to goal player who can hold the ball up, but we don't necessarily need that sort of forward if we play on the deck football through the lines.

I'm sure McSheffrey/Copps/Eyre have thought long and hard about this.

Sometimes, when all else fails we look to a big man, so maybe as a plan b but we could be looking at a fluid front line where much of the success comes facing goal. If deliveries are on the money then the positioning , runs and anticipation make up for lack of height.

When we look back at our most recent good spell with Whiteman dictating play, many of our goals were scored through creating overloads with players running onto things.

With Miller, Molyneux, Griffiths, Agard, Taylor, Rowe and even Barlow in the mix, they could be attacking the box from all angles.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on June 22, 2022, 01:23:10 am by danumdon »
I know we tend to resort to thinking we need a back to goal player who can hold the ball up, but we don't necessarily need that sort of forward if we play on the deck football through the lines.

Sometimes, when all else fails we look to a big man, so maybe as a plan b but we could be looking at a fluid front line where much of the success comes facing goal. If deliveries are on the money then the positioning , runs and anticipation make up for lack of height.

When we look back at our most recent good spell with Whiteman dictating play, many of our goals were scored through creating overloads with players running onto things.

With Miller, Molyneux, Griffiths, Agard, Taylor, Rowe and even Barlow in the mix, they could be attacking the box from all angles.

Agree with your synopsis. I big hold up player can become a negative if it leads the team to trying to play to that strength all the time, Unless this player is going to someone like Smith at Rotherham who can play the back to gaol position but also has enough about him to be able to adapt in his play, very rare at out level and costly.

Im liking the fact we're buying into the quick, smart and positive type of forward who can run at a defence, commit them, get around the back and distribute or run onto forward balls to create opportunities, much better to watch and if worked well will excite the fans enough to want to watch this type of football.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on June 22, 2022, 05:00:14 am by Alan Southstand »
That’s fine, DBR, but when there’s no space to run into, the attack stalls. Don’t forget, we’re now in L2, not L1, and we need to cover all bases,if at all possible. The opposition defending could well be a little more ‘agricultural’ and sometimes that big target man occupies the thoughts of big centre backs.

We have to be able to ring the changes, otherwise we’ll be sussed out and, especially with the better organised teams, neutralised. How many times, when we’re being pressed, does the ball get pumped to relieve the pressure? When that happens, it’s perhaps one headed flick on and the runners are in!

Eggs need to be in several baskets, not one.

Grumps

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on June 22, 2022, 06:16:42 am by Grumps »
Now THIS is a good signing!  When we played Hartlepool in the Papa Johns semi final, this fella looked a class above.  Very surprised RUFC didnt look at him.

A genuine statement of intent from Donny. 

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on June 22, 2022, 06:48:34 am by turnbull for england »
It's good too that the signings have come as a surprise. Business conducted in a business like manner, no leaks or even hints they were on our radar

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on June 22, 2022, 07:34:25 am by GazLaz »
One slightly surprising thing is that we’ve signed a player who’s best position is very likely to be the same as Jon Taylor’s best position.

I think LM is an ok player but if this is the be the big winger signing of the summer I’d have preferred a left sided player that has a greater creative output than LM.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on June 22, 2022, 07:44:20 am by DearneValleyRover »
I get the feeling the front players or should I say more attacking players will change positions constantly throughout the game, like they used to under SOD which will create the space for players to run into. It really has that feel about it

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on June 22, 2022, 07:49:05 am by Chris Black come back »
One slightly surprising thing is that we’ve signed a player who’s best position is very likely to be the same as Jon Taylor’s best position.

I think LM is an ok player but if this is the be the big winger signing of the summer I’d have preferred a left sided player that has a greater creative output than LM.

Bit different though? Taylor gets to byline and gets very little off in terms of shots. This lad seems to be only about coming in from the right to shoot isn’t he?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on June 22, 2022, 08:07:43 am by GazLaz »

Bit different though? Taylor gets to byline and gets very little off in terms of shots. This lad seems to be only about coming in from the right to shoot isn’t he?

They are different players stylistically. They just want to play in the same area.

A little comparison…

2020-21 in L1

Jon Taylor-

xG per 90mins- 0.3
xAssists (non set piece) per 90mins- 0.11

2021-22 L2

Luke Moly-

xG per 90mins- 0.2
xAssists (non set piece) per 90mins- 0.13

xG being how many goals that player would be expected to score given the locations of the shots they had.

xA being the amount of assists they were expected to have given the the chances they created for others.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on June 22, 2022, 08:11:59 am by Alan Southstand »
I think we can discard Taylor’s stats to a degree, as he’s had 3 ops since he last played. Who knows what he’ll be like this season!

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on June 22, 2022, 08:21:39 am by ncRover »

Rowe?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on June 22, 2022, 08:36:13 am by DonnyOsmond »

Rowe?

Low creative output.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on June 22, 2022, 08:36:46 am by Campsall rover »

Agree with your synopsis. I big hold up player can become a negative if it leads the team to trying to play to that strength all the time, Unless this player is going to someone like Smith at Rotherham who can play the back to gaol position but also has enough about him to be able to adapt in his play, very rare at out level and costly

Im liking the fact we're buying into the quick, smart and positive type of forward who can run at a defence, commit them, get around the back and distribute or run onto forward balls to create opportunities, much better to watch and if worked well will excite the fans enough to want to watch this type of football.
We need a plan A & B though ideally. We still played good football when Marquis was here.
I don’t mean we need a 6ft 3in centre forward just someone who can hold the ball up and we can keep possession.
There is more than one way of playing football of course but at the end of the day whatever way GM wants to play it is a simple game really which at times is made far too complicated.
Pass and move, pass and move pass and move, shoot. Just like that. Simples  ;)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on June 22, 2022, 08:42:39 am by DonnyOsmond »
Ash Hunter's probably more what were after, of available free agents. Left wing with decent creativity numbers.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on June 22, 2022, 09:03:52 am by ncRover »

Agree with your synopsis. I big hold up player can become a negative if it leads the team to trying to play to that strength all the time, Unless this player is going to someone like Smith at Rotherham who can play the back to gaol position but also has enough about him to be able to adapt in his play, very rare at out level and costly

We need a plan A & B though ideally. We still played good football when Marquis was here.
I don’t mean we need a 6ft 3in centre forward just someone who can hold the ball up and we can keep possession.
There is more than one way of playing football of course but at the end of the day whatever way GM wants to play it is a simple game really which at times is made far too complicated.

As effective as Miller may be, I’ve seen people say he needs someone to play off. McSheffrey said in his interview he can play off a big man, which I was thought was interesting as we don’t have one yet.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on June 22, 2022, 09:05:12 am by DonnyOsmond »

As effective as Miller may be, I’ve seen people say he needs someone to play off. McSheffrey said in his interview he can play off a big man, which I was thought was interesting as we don’t have one yet.

Isn't Dodoo one of the best target men around? ;)

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on June 22, 2022, 09:13:14 am by jm291 »
Sorry if posted already, but Jeff Stelling certainly rated him!

@JeffStelling
Love @LukeMolyneux3. Been brilliant for us. But I have to be honest. Gutted he has left for another league 2 side who had attendances not far off us last season. Feel he is League One or even Championship level. Just my view. No disrespect meant to Donny.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on June 22, 2022, 09:32:32 am by DonnyOsmond »

@JeffStelling
Love @LukeMolyneux3. Been brilliant for us. But I have to be honest. Gutted he has left for another league 2 side who had attendances not far off us last season. Feel he is League One or even Championship level. Just my view. No disrespect meant to Donny.

Only the extra 2000 average last season in our worst season in decades but anyway no players joining based on attendances, he's joining because we have more chance of promotion and can pay him more than them.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on June 22, 2022, 10:20:39 am by Filo »

@JeffStelling

Given every Saturday afternoon he’s on telly I’m not sure he’s seen that much of him to be honest

TinyPortal © 2005-2012