Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 07:15:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Schofield  (Read 7736 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Schofield
« on January 28, 2023, 09:01:25 pm by Filo »
Wrong appointment, looks out of his depth, the half time changes should have been made when we were 2 down, it was plain as day it wasn’t working, leaves Miller isolated all the time, 9 games as a manager/ head coach before he came here, not what we needed at all

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: Schofield
« Reply #1 on January 28, 2023, 09:04:49 pm by Dare to dream! »
The 5 at the back does not work.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 28, 2023, 09:05:22 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Wrong appointment, looks out of his depth, the half time changes should have been made when we were 2 down, it was plain as day it wasn’t working, leaves Miller isolated all the time, 9 games as a manager/ head coach before he came here, not what we needed at all
If we sack him and appoint another manager. What then if they lose their first couple of games? Do we just sack another manager again.

It will be a merry go around.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 28, 2023, 09:11:15 pm by Padge_DRFC »
I actually think there's something there with him. Despite today's defensive shambles there's areas we've improved and it's clear what he wants to do. The issue is the backing he's gotten from the board.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 28, 2023, 09:18:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I just don't get what we are supposed to be doing with the way we line up at 5-4-1.

We play with 2 wing-backs and 2 wingers. What in God's name is that formation supposed to achieve.

We looked far more potent for a while at 5-3-2 in the second half with two sitting midfielders, Hurst behind the front 2 and only the wing backs wide.

It's not bleeding rocket science. If you are going to play 5-4-1 with a wide 4, you're going to get overrun in central midfield. And if you're going to play that with Seaman and Molyneux on one wing, you might as well give up before you start.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 28, 2023, 09:21:02 pm by Dare to dream! »
I actually think there's something there with him. Despite today's defensive shambles there's areas we've improved and it's clear what he wants to do. The issue is the backing he's gotten from the board.

The team is playing, if anything, worse now than when McCsheffrey was in charge.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 28, 2023, 09:24:09 pm by dickos1 »

The team is playing, if anything, worse now than when McCsheffrey was in charge.

Definitely not
The football we’re playing currently is miles better, the manager has just made his first signings for the club and people are saying we should sack him.
Need to learn to be patient, sod showed us that

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 28, 2023, 09:27:04 pm by Chris Black come back »
I just don't get what we are supposed to be doing with the way we line up at 5-4-1.

We play with 2 wing-backs and 2 wingers. What in God's name is that formation supposed to achieve.

We looked far more potent for a while at 5-3-2 in the second half with two sitting midfielders, Hurst behind the front 2 and only the wing backs wide.

It's not bleeding rocket science. If you are going to play 5-4-1 with a wide 4, you're going to get overrun in central midfield. And if you're going to play that with Seaman and Molyneux on one wing, you might as well give up before you start.

I've wondered this also. We appear to have solved it though by having two wing backs who don't actually attack. So we have a flat back 5 who as a collective are among the least convincing defensive line up we have had in living memory.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 28, 2023, 09:30:31 pm by Dare to dream! »

Definitely not
The football we’re playing currently is miles better, the manager has just made his first signings for the club and people are saying we should sack him.

Miles better? Have you been watching the games recently?

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 28, 2023, 09:34:04 pm by ChrisBx »
I do think Schofield will come good if given time, however I do also agree that hiring yet another inexperienced manager was an unnecessary risk. The decision makers at our club seemingly never learn.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 28, 2023, 09:35:21 pm by Branton Red »
3 centre halves. The wide centre halves are invariably Anderson (or Williams) on one side whose lack of pace is liable to be exposed whenever the relevant wing back is up field and on the other side an inexperienced youngster for whom it's difficult enough making their way in senior football without taking them out of their flat back 4 comfort zone.

2 wing backs and 2 wingers which is overkill in terms of providing width.

Only 2 central midfielders when most teams play 3 or even 4 so we're continuously overrun in midfield and second best in terms of possession.

Which leaves 1 lonesome centre forward totally isolated as the wingers stay wide and the central midfielders are unable to get forward much given they're being overrun in the centre of the park.

Add to that the instructions to a) play out at a slow tempo from the back and b) to the goalkeeper to take his time in distributing the ball. Which both allow the opposition to regain their shape and negates any opportunity to use the pace on the wings to counter attack.

I really don't understand what the manager's trying to achieve with his formation and tactics.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:43:34 pm by Branton Red »

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 28, 2023, 09:38:08 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Nothing is worse than under Mcsheffery.

I've been critical about Schofield tactically in games and changing things. Today he got it right at half time. He can't help his GK running out like a mad man at 2v1 whilst being all over them.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 28, 2023, 09:40:54 pm by Pliskin »
Since Schofield came in we haven't really played with wingers as such. Notice how narrow Hurst and Molyneux (or whoever it may be) tend to be positioned when we get the ball. It's the wingbacks who are supposed to be providing the width.

Doesn't f**king work like.

The way we play, when the ball goes out to the wingbacks they have a choice of two crap options;
a) Go backwards,
b) Punt the ball over the top for Miller to chase.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 28, 2023, 09:54:16 pm by ncRover »
Add Olowu to todays 2nd half lineup and that will be Saturdays team I think. Surely he’s come to his senses.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 28, 2023, 09:54:47 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We don’t keep the ball well, or in the opposition half, enough to let the wing backs get high enough up the pitch. So it becomes 541 which is a depressing way to play and not even keep clean sheets.

I like that DS has a way he wants to play but I hate this stubbornness to play it when we haven’t got the players to make it work. It’s like it’s the coaching mantra that you have a “philosophy” and have to die by it. Like playing short goal kicks no matter what or sticking to a formation no matter how isolated your forwards are.

McSheffery was a PE teacher I don’t think he knew what he wanted to do. DS does but we probably don’t have the players to do it justice.

Think we should go 442 or 433 keep it simple everyone knows where they stand get some good performances under our belts.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 28, 2023, 10:01:07 pm by Branton Red »
McSheffery was a PE teacher I don’t think he knew what he wanted to do. DS does but we probably don’t have the players to do it justice.

Think we should go 442 or 433 keep it simple everyone knows where they stand get some good performances under our belts.

Spot on. We need to go back to basics and play a bog standard back 4.

I always said McSheffrey's teams looked like a bunch of strangers who had only just met i.e. given no clear instructions on how to approach the game.

Schofield's team is playing under instruction but the instructions he gives are no good and wholly inappropriate for the ability of the players at his disposal.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 28, 2023, 10:03:36 pm by scawsby steve »
Add Olowu to todays 2nd half lineup and that will be Saturdays team I think. Surely he’s come to his senses.

Totally agree with that. He's got to go from the off with the same line-up and players as started the second half, but with Olowu in for any one of the CBs who played today.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 28, 2023, 10:13:14 pm by Cramby10 »

I've been critical about Schofield tactically in games and changing things. Today he got it right at half time. He can't help his GK running out like a mad man at 2v1 whilst being all over them.
well it is. As shite as the football was under GM, he had more points per game and a vastly superior goal difference than DS with largely the same players?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 28, 2023, 10:17:05 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

well it is. As shite as the football was under GM, he had more points per game and a vastly superior goal difference than DS with largely the same players?

We going to overlook how undeserved the majority of the points were under GM.

When we win now we’ve normally been the better team and deserved it. We’d be on course for relegation under McSheffery imo

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 28, 2023, 10:27:31 pm by dickos1 »

Definitely not

Miles better? Have you been watching the games recently?

Yep

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 28, 2023, 10:28:11 pm by Cramby10 »

When we win now we’ve normally been the better team and deserved it. We’d be on course for relegation under McSheffery imo
whilst I agree we got an odd lucky result. But that’s all down to opinion, and make no mistake, I thought GM was terrible. But facts are facts. We have less points per game now under DS. And are now shipping in way more goals than we’re scoring. And we’ve dropped like a stone further.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 28, 2023, 10:37:46 pm by Lesonthewest »

Totally agree with that. He's got to go from the off with the same line-up and players as started the second half, but with Olowu in for any one of the CBs who played today.

Same here. For crying out loud get some support up to Miller too & let's have a go at teams. At least give supporters something to shout about, we've had next to nothing for two years now.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 28, 2023, 10:43:48 pm by dickos1 »

whilst I agree we got an odd lucky result. But that’s all down to opinion, and make no mistake, I thought GM was terrible. But facts are facts. We have less points per game now under DS. And are now shipping in way more goals than we’re scoring. And we’ve dropped like a stone further.

Under sods first dozen games our record was worse than the previous dozen games under Penney
That’s why you shouldn’t be thinking so rash,
Even the most successful sides in the country took time, look at arteta and pep

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 28, 2023, 11:04:34 pm by Red wizard »
We had hope sod would get us playing like Bournemouth given time and his players. I hope he does sort it out but I just can't see it. We need a proper leader. Someone to turn the tide and get us set up properly.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 28, 2023, 11:31:20 pm by Canadian Rover »
DS needs time but also needs a bollocking. His insistence on the 5 at the back is a failure for him (especially given his players) he had the perfect wingback for his system in Knoyle and didn't play him there so his personnel selection is questionable too. He also IS restricted in his budget majorly - the fact he spoke today about our squad being too big was laughable!! Really? Just because we had 2 or 3 players that didn't make the match day squad (due to loan signings) doesn't mean our squad is too big! We are lacking in quality, experience and most important goals. Also the very best defender we had this season was let go to non league by far Faulkner has been our best defender this season and wasn't given a chance.

JC needs to really get DS to learn what this division needs and league one too (if that's ever relevant)

I do fear we are going to finish lower than our current low position and don't anticipate much improvement in performances or results.

We must suffer through this though as we can't keep changing managers like this. Keep DS but get him to see sense.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 28, 2023, 11:39:10 pm by andyst79 »
Game plan goes out of the window when your captain fails to pump ball out from the kick off and then your winger gets caught in position on  the halfway line In the first 30 seconds. Can blame anyone you want after that but it set the tone. Absolutely powder puff in most things we do

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 29, 2023, 12:00:42 am by donnievic »
We have definitely improved playing wise and today was down to errors yet again

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 29, 2023, 12:14:59 am by normal rules »
Did anyone honestly think we would go to Mansfield today and win?
I didn’t.
We move on

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 29, 2023, 12:40:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Definitely not

Before Schofield our record was:

P15 W6 D3 L5 GF18 GA19 Pts21 PPG 1.4

Since he came it has been:

P11 W5 D1 L6 GF13 GA20 Pts16 PPG 1.45

Marginal improvement on points (equivalent to 2.3 points over a season, so almost lost in the noise).

What is really worrying is that we are conceding goals at a frightening rate - averaging nearly 2 per game under Schofield. Whatever improvements there might arguably be in the overall play is being drowned by a simply shocking defensive record. It doesn't go matter in the long run if you play a bit more positively if your side shites itself every time a ball is put into the box.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 29, 2023, 12:45:12 am by Canadian Rover »
We are conceding whilst playing 5 at the back. It does not work.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012