Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:17:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mitchell  (Read 12797 times)

Cramby10

• Forum Member
Mitchell
« on March 07, 2023, 10:00:05 am by Cramby10 »
I see he’s in line for a new contract.
I look forward to watching a good many lose their minds over this…..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Mitchell
« Reply #1 on March 07, 2023, 10:01:27 am by Chris Black come back »
Good player for us.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 07, 2023, 10:09:12 am by Cramby10 »
Good player for us.
agreed. Better than what we’ve had of late. The free press did however try to credit him with being responsible for the recent clean sheets. Not buying that one. It’s no coincidence that a certain centre half has been missing from the side in this time.
But I know many will go into meltdown over this news. Can’t wait….

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 07, 2023, 10:31:43 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Good keeper. If he improves his distribution he'll be a very good keeper.  I struggle to see how we'd get better at this level.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 07, 2023, 10:36:43 am by roversdude »
Think he deserves a new contract been superb for us- just needs to improve distribution, although most of the time there is no one to kick/throw to despite some fans berating him

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 07, 2023, 10:38:43 am by Bailey Vickerage »
Good shot stopper and commands his area very well, does need to improve his distribution but like DS said in the article, he’s being asked to play a role he has never played before so will take time. I would be giving him a new deal and possibly bringing another keeper in who is better with his feet, might push JM on even more next season.

1-0 to the Doncaster

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 07, 2023, 11:33:03 am by 1-0 to the Doncaster »
Number 2 at best. Good established  keepers are straightforward to find even at league 2. Proper keeper needed in summer if we stand a chance of promotion.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 07, 2023, 01:07:48 pm by Metalmicky »
Number 2 at best. Good established  keepers are straightforward to find even at league 2. Proper keeper needed in summer if we stand a chance of promotion.

He has some weaknesses (as all players do) however, I'd like to bet he has saved us a fair few more points than he has cost us this season...

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 07, 2023, 01:12:50 pm by MachoMadness »
Must admit this surprises me. I would've thought Schofield's ideal system demanded someone who was better with his feet, a Dieng type who can start attacks as well as stop them.

E: Having read the DFP article this thread is on about, it sounds like Schofield wasn't quite as committal: https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-goalkeeper-jonathan-mitchell-staking-a-claim-for-a-new-contract-says-danny-schofield-4052752
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 01:15:32 pm by MachoMadness »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 07, 2023, 02:13:56 pm by Campsall rover »
Meltdown candidate then we assume.  Sorry don’t know what you’re watching but it’s different to me.
Take away distribution and most of that fault is what he is being told to do and we have a very good League 1 keeper let alone League 2

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 07, 2023, 02:24:16 pm by bpoolrover »
Fully deserves a new contract, if his distribution was much better he would be to good for this team

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 07, 2023, 03:09:06 pm by drfchound »
Good player for us.
agreed. Better than what we’ve had of late. The free press did however try to credit him with being responsible for the recent clean sheets. Not buying that one. It’s no coincidence that a certain centre half has been missing from the side in this time.

Come on mate, if Mitchell gets the blame when we concede then surely he can get some praise when we don’t concede.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 07, 2023, 05:07:34 pm by Janso »
Must admit this surprises me. I would've thought Schofield's ideal system demanded someone who was better with his feet, a Dieng type who can start attacks as well as stop them.

E: Having read the DFP article this thread is on about, it sounds like Schofield wasn't quite as committal: https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-goalkeeper-jonathan-mitchell-staking-a-claim-for-a-new-contract-says-danny-schofield-4052752

Might not necessarily be as number 1 though going forward. Don't know anything, just a thought.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 07, 2023, 06:00:21 pm by Cramby10 »
Good player for us.

Come on mate, if Mitchell gets the blame when we concede then surely he can get some praise when we don’t concede.
i’m not knocking him one bit. I don’t mind him. And that’s a big statement coming from my opinion of our current set up. But it can’t be denied that the more clean sheets have occurred since the disappearance of old clown shoes Williams.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 11, 2023, 07:36:28 pm by ncRover »
It’s a no from me.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 11, 2023, 07:39:26 pm by Rovers91 »
Him and Jones are a no from me both crap.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 11, 2023, 08:10:46 pm by NickDRFC »
He’s better than Jones but it’s a low bar. I’d be happy with him as a number 2 next year but imagine he’ll be number 1.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 11, 2023, 08:30:19 pm by Canadian Rover »
He deserves a new contract but we also should be looking at getting in someone who should be able to oust him from the #1 slot. No idea what the young lad is like we have on the bench.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 11, 2023, 08:47:59 pm by ravenrover »
Could he have put his shoulder out? Looked very serious and suddenly he was back up again swinging his arms had the medics popped it back in again?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 11, 2023, 08:58:17 pm by drfchound »
I felt a bit sorry for the young sub keeper.
He was bursting to get on the pitch and then had to sit down again.
Luckily Mitchell was ok to continue.
The injury looked quite serious at first, was it a dislocation?

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 12, 2023, 08:12:22 am by bobbymax »
I don't get the Mitchell critics. He's a good shot-stopper and comes off his line for crosses. You're not goong to get much better at this level.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 12, 2023, 08:30:30 am by EasyforDennis »
Unfortunately for Mitchell when he makes a mistake it is usually a real clanger. I dont think he is top of our list of priorities and I would give him a new contract and concentrate our efforts on strengthening midfield and adding a big striker. Depending on the "budget" of course.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 12, 2023, 08:47:47 am by ncRover »
I don't get the Mitchell critics. He's a good shot-stopper and comes off his line for crosses. You're not goong to get much better at this level.

The stats literally say otherwise.

His shot-stopping is cancelled out by errors.

Coming for crosses is a basic requirement of a professional goalkeeper, he’s not unique in that at this level.

That leaves his kicking, well…

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 12, 2023, 08:55:29 am by mushRTID »
We moan about the board’s ambition then half the fans claim “we won’t get better than Mitchell at this level”.

The rot has truly set in. Of course we can!

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 12, 2023, 09:34:15 am by ncRover »
I’ll post this again because people buried their heads in the sand about it first time.

https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/109/stats/season/17836/players/_goals_prevented/league-two-players

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 12, 2023, 10:39:17 am by dickos1 »
Not sure what that stat shows as the majority of the bottom ten keepers on the list play for sides near the top of the league

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 12, 2023, 10:42:48 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
If Mitchell was costing us wins with errors then I'd agree that acquiring a new keeper is a priority.

Most of our frailties though are further up the pitch and Mitchell has done plenty to keep us in games making vital saves and being brave enough to take crosses at crucial times.

He has more positives in the bank for me. Other than the error yesterday he was sound and secure playing a big part in keeping the 3 points. His distribution was better yesterday too.

I just think there are other players in our team deserving of more scrutiny for their errors and weaknesses than Mitchell.

If we do go for a new keeper he'll have to be a bloody good all rounder to keep Mitchell at no 2.

Usher down the wing.

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 12, 2023, 11:09:50 am by Usher down the wing. »
He’s a darn sight better keeper than Gary Woods who couldn’t save for a holiday yet was in a promotion winning side!

´It’s a funny old game Saint’.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 12, 2023, 11:35:52 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He isn’t a goalkeeper that you win titles with. If we want to do that, then, we need to recruit better right through the team.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 12, 2023, 11:38:01 am by ravenrover »
Why's that then Sam, all good keepers have mistakes in them just look at the 2 best keepers in the world and they've both won Prem titles

TinyPortal © 2005-2012