Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:00:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: “Obviously we haven’t got money to buy players”  (Read 7123 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: “Obviously we haven’t got money to buy players”
« Reply #60 on April 15, 2023, 12:34:53 pm by Campsall rover »
I still believe we have the nucleus of a decent squad.
We just need probably 4 players with physical attributes in key positions. The 2 most glaring ones are centre midfield and up front.

The fact is DS has got the current squad underperforming big time.
We have seen glimpses of what they are capable of.
No one is going to tell me that an experienced manager would not have got far more from this current squad.
We have some very decent players but yes we have some missing ingredients that could turn us a top 3 team. That’s obvious.

My worry is this Coach is not the answer whoever we sign.
If he is staying then I seriously hope he proves me very wrong.

My prediction is we will be looking for a new manager come late October.
The sensible thing is to do it now.
If we lose or even fail to win any of the last 5 games how does that make keeping DS’s in this job credible?

I've said previously you should be all over James Norwood this summer Campsall .

His one year deal with ourselves ends on June 30th and should we go up I can't see another deal getting offered .

I wouldn't mind giving him another 12 month deal should we remain in league one but possibly Norwood may seek a longer deal elsewhere which is where Rovers could nip in .

I like Norwood he's done a tremendous job this season but I reckon my club will try and sign Max Watters permanently in the summer who is as you know is a younger player with potential to improve and a saleable asset should he develop further .

Norwood would be a tremendous asset for Rovers in my opinion , vastly experienced , round the block striker who'd be a real leader up top , he still gets his fair share of goals too .
No good telling me. Tell Copps and Schofield. Agree 100% would be just what we need right now.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on April 15, 2023, 01:23:19 pm by Chris Black come back »
We signed Paul Heffernan in the summer of 2005, at the end of our first season back in League One.

His first season with us was 2005/2006 in League One. 26 league appearances, 7 league goals.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on April 15, 2023, 01:33:12 pm by Dagenham Rover »
So this budget injection was all smoke and mirrors as we thought…

Think about it The Board say there will be a significant cash injection, that'll have the agents sniffing about like flies round Shite and other clubs trying to overprice.
So then the HoF comes out and says that  its not rocket science to work it out  ;) ;)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on April 15, 2023, 02:43:12 pm by NickDRFC »
We signed Paul Heffernan in the summer of 2005, at the end of our first season back in League One.

His first season with us was 2005/2006 in League One. 26 league appearances, 7 league goals.

Fantastic cup record that season, 6 in 7 FA & League Cup games.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on April 15, 2023, 03:45:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
Tyke:

Norwood would be a tremendous asset for Rovers in my opinion , vastly experienced , round the block striker who'd be a real leader up top , he still gets his fair share of goals too .

Scored today already.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on April 18, 2023, 08:16:31 pm by ncRover »
Piergianni, Sweeney, Clarke and Roberts for Stevenage tonight all signed as free agents in the summer. All look making our lot look like boys and all were well within Rovers’ wage budget.

We need to get real in the summer. The penny must be dropping for Copps and Schofield watching this.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on April 18, 2023, 10:55:23 pm by danumdon »
Piergianni, Sweeney, Clarke and Roberts for Stevenage tonight all signed as free agents in the summer. All look making our lot look like boys and all were well within Rovers’ wage budget.

We need to get real in the summer. The penny must be dropping for Copps and Schofield watching this.

Our big issue is we consider ourselves to be above players like the ones you've mentioned.

When in league 4 you need to have players who can function in league 4, they had a side full tonight we had one,  massive difference.

What we are attempting to do does not work at this level unless you have players with exceptional technique to override the size, strength and determination deficit we have every game.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on April 19, 2023, 05:53:18 am by ncRover »
Yes we do.

Schofield has recognised that we need more physicality and will likely get that in.

But if you add that to the currently contracted players, they still will not be able to deliver the style that he is asking for to promotion standard.

That’s because players who are technically and physically excellent are going to be very very hard to come by. But players like Steve Evans signed are not. Even top quality loanees like Ben Nelson have struggled in this division.

We are trying run before we can walk, and the  club is like someone who needs a double hip and knee replacement.

Yes people point towards Leyton Orient’s style but Wellens has kept it simple there. 4-3-3 and a strong defence and midfield. Players who understand what they are being asked to do. If you slotted Luke Molyneux in to their attack I’m sure he’d be good enough. How many times was the man on the ball asking for options last night?

We have only played well against Carlisle and Grimsby. If we approach players from fellow league 2 clubs, I doubt they are going to be very impressed unless the manager is changed. We have turned in to a laughing stock.

But if the manager is someone with promotions on their CV, that will attract players. New players want to feel like they can buy in to something.

Rumour is that Schofield is in contract talks with 2 players he has identified. The club knows it’s budget and will be able to move early. If it isn’t this morning that he goes then thats that, they have left it too late. We will just have to see who they recruit and hope that whoever likely comes in in October has enough suitable players are their disposal for a cohesive team and playing style.

Maybe the managerial merry-go-round will present a suitable manager in October, maybe not. That is another risk from leaving it too long. Grant McCann / Darrell Clarke / David Artell are available now.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 06:31:09 am by ncRover »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on April 19, 2023, 08:13:24 am by DonnyOsmond »
I seem to remember the last time we were in this division that a six figure fee was paid for Paul Heffernan, terrible, we can't spend money on transfer fees = we are not going to get anybody who will make a significant difference to the squad. That goes with the "can't be bothered with football " attitude from our owner.

That’s just nonsense though isn’t it
Wellens, Gareth roberts, Marquis, oster, Rob jones, Blair, May, Joe wright, friend, paynter, brown, cotterill, Rowe, Anderson, butler, sadlier,
All signed on free’s

I don’t understand why people think players who have let their contract run down can’t be good players

However is limiting your pool of players you can get to add to the squad the best option? If there's a player with the perfect profile for us but he's contracted at another club, do we have to go for one further down the list instead just because they're free?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on April 19, 2023, 10:10:30 am by dickos1 »
I seem to remember the last time we were in this division that a six figure fee was paid for Paul Heffernan, terrible, we can't spend money on transfer fees = we are not going to get anybody who will make a significant difference to the squad. That goes with the "can't be bothered with football " attitude from our owner.

That’s just nonsense though isn’t it
Wellens, Gareth roberts, Marquis, oster, Rob jones, Blair, May, Joe wright, friend, paynter, brown, cotterill, Rowe, Anderson, butler, sadlier,
All signed on free’s

I don’t understand why people think players who have let their contract run down can’t be good players

However is limiting your pool of players you can get to add to the squad the best option? If there's a player with the perfect profile for us but he's contracted at another club, do we have to go for one further down the list instead just because they're free?

I’d very much doubt it, I assume they can use the money available however they wish.
Obviously throwing money to another club though wouldn't be the best option

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on April 20, 2023, 05:52:56 pm by donnybez »
Who buys players in the modern day? Barely anybody.
Stockport with Kyle Knoyle
Us with Ben Whiteman,  James Coppinger, Michael Mcindoe, Gregg Blundell, Richie Wellens, Brian Stock, Paul Heffernan, James Hayter, Jimmy O Connor, Billy Sharp to name but a few

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on April 20, 2023, 08:52:57 pm by ravenrover »
Forget about everything you listed after Knoyle, think of football pre and post Covid no body in the lower league buys players unless they are trying to buy promotion.
The Rovers players you listed were years ago

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on April 20, 2023, 11:09:24 pm by dickos1 »
Us with Ben Whiteman,  James Coppinger, Michael Mcindoe, Gregg Blundell, Richie Wellens, Brian Stock, Paul Heffernan, James Hayter, Jimmy O Connor, Billy Sharp to name but a few

Wellens came on a free,

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on April 21, 2023, 11:25:12 am by drfchound »
Yes we do.

Schofield has recognised that we need more physicality and will likely get that in.

But if you add that to the currently contracted players, they still will not be able to deliver the style that he is asking for to promotion standard.

That’s because players who are technically and physically excellent are going to be very very hard to come by. But players like Steve Evans signed are not. Even top quality loanees like Ben Nelson have struggled in this division.

We are trying run before we can walk, and the  club is like someone who needs a double hip and knee replacement.

Yes people point towards Leyton Orient’s style but Wellens has kept it simple there. 4-3-3 and a strong defence and midfield. Players who understand what they are being asked to do. If you slotted Luke Molyneux in to their attack I’m sure he’d be good enough. How many times was the man on the ball asking for options last night?

We have only played well against Carlisle and Grimsby. If we approach players from fellow league 2 clubs, I doubt they are going to be very impressed unless the manager is changed. We have turned in to a laughing stock.

But if the manager is someone with promotions on their CV, that will attract players. New players want to feel like they can buy in to something.

Rumour is that Schofield is in contract talks with 2 players he has identified. The club knows it’s budget and will be able to move early. If it isn’t this morning that he goes then thats that, they have left it too late. We will just have to see who they recruit and hope that whoever likely comes in in October has enough suitable players are their disposal for a cohesive team and playing style.

Maybe the managerial merry-go-round will present a suitable manager in October, maybe not. That is another risk from leaving it too long. Grant McCann / Darrell Clarke / David Artell are available now.

Has it taken 30 games for Schofield to recognise that we need more physicality in the team, really?
And why hasn’t someone with the vast football knowledge explained that to him, someone like Copps for example.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on April 21, 2023, 11:48:37 am by normal rules »
Yes we do.

Has it taken 30 games for Schofield to recognise that we need more physicality in the team, really?
And why hasn’t someone with the vast football knowledge explained that to him, someone like Copps for example.

As much as I loathe evans. He does have an eye for a player. The lad Piergianni I’ve seen play many times in a Boston shirt. He is a proper up and at em player in the ilk of Rob Jones. Many times I’ve seen him play with a bandage wrapped around his head just getting on with the job at hand. A real no nonsense player. Just the sort you need in lge two to win those aerial battles at the back. He can score goals too.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on April 21, 2023, 12:04:53 pm by Campsall rover »
In reply to you NR.
We have no natural leader in the team.
Anderson, Rowe and now Close all had a turn at being captain but I don’t see any real leadership out there.

Now if Rob Jones was in this team Schofield would not have got much of a word in at half time at Stevenage.
Corporal Jones would have sorted it out.
We would not be playing without heart, passion and belief if Jones was on that field.

Massive priority this summer is 2 serious leaders needed for this squad.
Personalities that are not scared to tell DS what’s what.
Jones would not have stood for this rubbish from Schofield.
He would have come out after each game spoke to the media and told it as it was.  Not acceptable.  None of this waffle we get from DS.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 12:06:56 pm by Campsall rover »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on April 21, 2023, 01:08:31 pm by ncRover »
Yes we do.

As much as I loathe evans. He does have an eye for a player. The lad Piergianni I’ve seen play many times in a Boston shirt. He is a proper up and at em player in the ilk of Rob Jones. Many times I’ve seen him play with a bandage wrapped around his head just getting on with the job at hand. A real no nonsense player. Just the sort you need in lge two to win those aerial battles at the back. He can score goals too.

Meanwhile at DRFC…

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=287540.msg1226538#msg1226538

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on April 21, 2023, 02:33:47 pm by roversdude »
Yes we do.

He was apparently watching games before he was appointed. Our one physical player was released to go to Bradford where has been one of their top players

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on April 21, 2023, 03:58:07 pm by normal rules »
I don’t know what hull have planned for him, but if it’s a striker we are after look no further than Billy Chadwick. He’s been on loan at Boston United. And has become a bit of a Billy Sharp esque figure there.
He would be a real steal if we could get him imo.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on April 21, 2023, 06:18:19 pm by ncRover »
You’ve mentioned him before NR but Josh Umerah from Hartlepool has the technical and physical attributes to play as a lone striker or in a 2 IMO.

Pulled off that lovely assist against us in the home game.

Out of contract in June and they’re off down.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member

Modern day. Gregg blundell was 20 years ago.

The list of good frees is far far greater, you've even named on there.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on April 21, 2023, 06:42:19 pm by Chris Black come back »
Think recently we paid cash for Fejiri, also I think Reo and Long? Might be wrong.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on April 21, 2023, 11:08:51 pm by donnybez »

Modern day. Gregg blundell was 20 years ago.

The list of good frees is far far greater, you've even named on there.

That wasn't me disregarding free transfers - merely justifying the ones we have paid for previously (Wellens excepted)
If I got my bearings on fee paid signings since 2019-20, then there is Kyle Hurst, Adam Long, Cam John, Omar Bogle, Reece James, Devante Cole, & Fejiri Okanbirhie which fall in a very different class to the previous batch of signings mentioned before.

In terms of free signings I do agree that there are potential stars in there but 1) you are facing a far crowded pool for them, 2) we are notoriously strict with agent fees which will drop that number down further, 3) and after this season we'll find it far harder to persuade anyone to join our 'project' (it's not like we have a clear positive trajectory for example). My argument is merely we shouldn't disregard these signings when if a Ben Whiteman-esque opportunity to pay little and sell big opportunity appears.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012