Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:09:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the summer transfer window  (Read 18427 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the summer transfer window
« on May 26, 2023, 08:20:03 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Sorry to poach the title Selby but I think we ought to have a thread devoted to this so we can keep all related info in one place.

We already have Ian Lawlor and Richard Wood in the bag and to the best of our knowledge, McCann said we have made some offers and are waiting to hear back.

Here's the latest update from DFP

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-boss-grant-mccann-makes-big-announcement-on-transfers-4156788

I'm not sure what the big announcement is like. Just seems common sense to me.

I'm sure we'll come across plenty of click bait, just wild speculation from the press and social media....or may be not so wild who knows.

Anything not in the media, where you might hear a tip off about a specific player, please refer to the Rumour Mill.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the summer transfer window
« Reply #1 on May 26, 2023, 08:55:09 am by selby »
  DBR that's ok no problems and I hope it stimulates good points.  My hope is for an experienced striker, The rest of the signings especially in mid field I would like to be young, athletic, enthusiastic, fit box to box players and a good defensive mid fielder.
  There are good players who fit the bill below EFL level who given the chance would give value added to the club and would not cost the earth.
   The best of the u18s want good loans into men's football and train every day with the first team group so we negate the big jump from academy football, and lots of friendlies behind closed doors with mixed teams against other clubs u23s or reserves even teams like Gainsborough, North Ferriby etc, get them games they can learn from.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 26, 2023, 09:43:37 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, I agree with all that Selby.

I mentioned in a previous post about the spine of the team being one we are prepared to pay for in terms of wages and possibly fees. I think that's what the DFP article was referring to. We may have made offers to clubs for contracted player(s)

Sure, the extra funds from TB should give us more leeway although, I'm sure we all agree, we wouldn't want to be wasting money on fees where it's not necessary.

With Lawlor, we may have saved a bit of money there. Wood should bring that extra solidity and organisation at the back. The midfield and centre forward key positions are the priorities. A midfield boss who's an all-rounder, equally adept at defending and attacking. Someone capable of dictating the pace of the game. A Whiteman type if you will. With someone like this, I'm sure we would see better from Close and Biggins etc.

A centre forward who scores goals and can work in any formation being able to bring others into play, create space for others etc.

That still leaves us a few spaces to add to the squad to provide depth and options including the loan market.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 26, 2023, 10:31:48 am by Rovers91 »
I think we need at least the following positions.
Right back
3 midfielders
1 striker
2 wingers/wide forwards
1 who can play anywhere across the front line and cover the number 9 role (possibly a loan)

Hopefully Seaman signs as cover to a new right back and I hope Younger proves his fitness because I think he would offer good cover at centre back and right back if needed.
We could potentially need another goalkeeper depending on the Jones situation.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 10:35:59 am by Rovers91 »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 26, 2023, 10:35:45 am by GazLaz »
Just sign players that can perform consistently at a level equal or greater than a top end L2 player. It’s not hard but we seem to keep signing players that have never showed the capability to do that prior to joining then go on to reinforce that after joining.

We guess, simple as that. Sometimes players fall into our lap, Wood is probably one of those, but there is absolutely no real process involved that is smarter than the competition.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 26, 2023, 10:43:59 am by Chris Black come back »
I see that Ferguson has made Tomlinson and Pym available for transfer, and oddly Clarke-Harris. Can only assume latter has refused to sign a new deal and they are trying to monetise him while they can.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 26, 2023, 10:47:27 am by pib »
I see that Ferguson has made Tomlinson and Pym available for transfer, and oddly Clarke-Harris. Can only assume latter has refused to sign a new deal and they are trying to monetise him while they can.

Yeah, I think it must be that. I read yesterday that they'd "reluctantly" accepted transfer requests from a couple of players. Looking at that list I'd assume it's JCH and Frankie Kent.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 26, 2023, 11:04:36 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It would be great if we could go in for Clarke-Harris, he would score a bolt load at this level. Not going to happen though not our market that we shop in.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 26, 2023, 11:09:42 am by Northants Nomad »
It would be great if we could go in for Clarke-Harris, he would score a bolt load at this level. Not going to happen though not our market that we shop in.
How many exactly can a 'bolt' hold?   ;-)

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 26, 2023, 11:13:21 am by roversdude »
He looked totally disinterested and pi55ed off in the second leg of play offs

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 26, 2023, 11:19:17 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Well Grant said we've made 'offers' and given their previous connection, I wouldn't rule it out. He's not getting any younger so I doubt we would offer their asking price like and maybe with the recent spat, between McCann and McAnthony, it's less likely.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 26, 2023, 11:37:04 am by ncRover »
I think the idea of Donny Rovers paying a fee for the division above’s top scorer is a tad unrealistic.

Pym statistically as bad as Mitchell.

I don’t really think any of them are the right profile or in priority positions except maybe Ollie Norburn if he’d drop a division.

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 26, 2023, 11:54:20 am by In the box »
Are we in a transition period of rebuilding, player recruitment i not precise science but getting the right players can take several transfer windows.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 26, 2023, 11:58:45 am by pib »
JCH is totally unrealistic, forget that one.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 26, 2023, 12:09:39 pm by NickDRFC »

Well Grant said we've made 'offers' and given their previous connection, I wouldn't rule it out. He's not getting any younger so I doubt we would offer their asking price like and maybe with the recent spat, between McCann and McAnthony, it's less likely.

He’s scored 57 goals in his last 2 seasons in League One, sandwiching a season where he got a dozen goals in a very poor Championship side. Absolutely no chance he’d come to us unless we were to offer insane money, and even then extremely unlikely. He’s also 28, not exactly getting on.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 26, 2023, 12:16:58 pm by Rovers91 »

More chance Schofield managing Real Madrid than us signing JCH this summer.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 26, 2023, 12:20:12 pm by ncRover »
Can see Wrexham splashing the cash on JCH.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 26, 2023, 12:22:44 pm by Butchers Red »
Andy Cook has rejected an offer from Bradford City -  fantastic Centre Forward in L1 and L2.

Come on Grant - get him in and it really would be game on.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 26, 2023, 12:34:42 pm by Bessie Red »
Andy Cook has rejected an offer from Bradford City -  fantastic Centre Forward in L1 and L2.

I'd imagine he is after Lge 1 football but there's no harm in enquiring!

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 26, 2023, 12:36:24 pm by Bessie Red »
Isn't it Peterborough's policy to transfer list all players in the last year of their contract?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 26, 2023, 12:48:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
We aren’t going to be bidding for and we aren’t going to be signing Cook or Clarke-Harris. 

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 26, 2023, 01:06:53 pm by Campsall rover »

He has been tapped up then. Will be on decent money at City I suspect.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 26, 2023, 01:08:01 pm by roversdude »
Cook would be a great acquisition but I fear he is still beyond our price range/wage structure

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 26, 2023, 01:35:52 pm by mushRTID »
He’s rejected a contract from Stevenage, not Bradford hasn’t he?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 26, 2023, 01:49:26 pm by Campsall rover »
We will be looking at out of contract players. Pretty sure there will be some rich pickings to be had.
Players like Clarke Harris are going to be in the Championship next season I suspect or possibly at Derby or Sheff Wed in League 1

Cook will be looking for a club in League 1 that can match or better his wages at Bradford. Otherwise he will be going nowhere.

No way will we be paying anyone over 3.000 per week in League 2 and why should we.
Our budget doesn’t need blowing on 1/2/3 players.
We need to get 6/7 in that will give our squad the depth it needs to get out of this league.
2 already in. So another 4/5 required.
Our budget needs spending with plenty of thought behind it.

Forget the Sharp’s & Clarke Harris’s they simply are not realistic.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 26, 2023, 02:08:54 pm by Alan Southstand »
Where do you get 6/7 from, Camps, as GM has clearly stated he wants 8, so that means 6 more to get! Now, I’m not sure if, out of that 6, some, or all, of the lads who’ve been offered deals, are included? If that was the case, it only leaves 2 more new signings to get.

I don’t think GM does mean that - I think he wants 6 more new signings. And it’s quite easy to suggest 3 positions that are yet to be filled, namely RB, DM and target man, which completes the spine of the team.

IF we’re true to our word, that we’re going for promotion, then there is still a lot of work to be done.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 03:28:32 pm by Alan Southstand »

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 26, 2023, 03:00:00 pm by Danmckay456 »
New number one
Right back
Defensive midfielder
Number 10
Winger
Striker

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 26, 2023, 03:10:28 pm by Campsall rover »
Where do you get 6/7 from, Camps, as GM has clearly stated he wants 8, so that means 6 more to get! Now, I’m not sure if, out of that 6, some, or all, of the lads who’ve been offered deals, are included? If that was the case, it only leaves 2 more new signings to get.

I don’t think GM does mean that - I think he wants 6 more new signings. And it’s quite easy to suggest 3 positions that are yet to be filled, namely RM, DM and target man, which completes the spine of the team.

IF we’re true to our word, that we’re going for promotion, then there is still a lot of work to be done.

Well imo we need 6/7  If GM wants 8 great. That’s only 1 more than 7 Alan.  :)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 26, 2023, 03:15:02 pm by Campsall rover »
New number one
Right back
Defensive midfielder
Number 10
Winger
Striker
Think Lawlor is earmarked for no 1 especially if Jones signs a new contract.

We need a RB, 2 new central midfielders and 2 strikers. We only have Miller and Goodman now don’t forget.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 26, 2023, 03:24:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Cook and JCH are big lumps anyway. We can do better can't we?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012