Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:23:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Electric cars and the environment (warning cheat sheet)  (Read 5830 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Electric cars and the environment (warning cheat sheet)
« Reply #120 on March 19, 2024, 01:33:42 pm by selby »
  They are already putting the tracking tech into new cars certainly all new EV's so a tax per mile is the future as simple as that for both Ice and EV's with the tech.
  Whoever and when they introduce it will not win the next election. If anyone thinks they can limit the free cheap movement by tax  of the population now they are used to it are as mad as a march hare.
 I like the 20p a litre off fuel the Reform party are proposing to be honest.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on March 19, 2024, 02:17:31 pm by albie »
A road tax per mile is a very good idea, and is long overdue.

It means that those who use the network most pay a greater proportion of the maintenance costs of that network, no-one can disagree about that.
Why should someone just bodging about doing local shopping by subsidising people driving across the country...it makes no sense!

The cost of ICE fuel is going to be determined by international prices, and is vulnerable to unreliable suppliers like Uncle Vlad.
EV mainly charge at night, and take the cheap leccy from the wind farms when demand is low.

Basically they are performing a very useful service grid balancing for the National Grid.
This is an important role in the energy transition, as fossil fuels are replaced.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on March 19, 2024, 05:43:50 pm by ravenrover »
  They are already putting the tracking tech into new cars certainly all new EV's so a tax per mile is the future as simple as that for both Ice and EV's with the tech.
  Whoever and when they introduce it will not win the next election. If anyone thinks they can limit the free cheap movement by tax  of the population now they are used to it are as mad as a march hare.
 I like the 20p a litre off fuel the Reform party are proposing to be honest.
Have they said how they will finance that 20p?

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on March 19, 2024, 06:56:32 pm by DRFC_AjA »
A road tax per mile is a very good idea, and is long overdue.

It means that those who use the network most pay a greater proportion of the maintenance costs of that network, no-one can disagree about that.
Why should someone just bodging about doing local shopping by subsidising people driving across the country...it makes no sense!

The cost of ICE fuel is going to be determined by international prices, and is vulnerable to unreliable suppliers like Uncle Vlad.
EV mainly charge at night, and take the cheap leccy from the wind farms when demand is low.

Basically they are performing a very useful service grid balancing for the National Grid.
This is an important role in the energy transition, as fossil fuels are replaced.

Dangerous game to play though, the whole pay what you use thing. Buses, bike lanes, kids playgrounds, police (touch wood), swimming pools etc. There's a whole list of random things I don't use but are taxed for so in theory shouldn't pay. I don't use the dole office but my god the tax man taps me up good and proper for the lazies

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on March 27, 2024, 09:49:27 pm by albie »
As others raised the relative running costs of EV against ICE, here is the actual factual;
https://nitter.poast.org/pic/orig/media%2FGJNgadWX0AAeRpQ.jpg

No arguing with data, is there?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on March 28, 2024, 12:53:00 pm by selby »
  The cost of petrol and Diesel per mile includes the tax levied on the fuel, the actual cost of the fuel is therefore much cheaper, if comparable tax was levied on EV,s thety would be dearer tan ice cars.
  I suppose the costs of home charging conveniently don't include standing charges levied on household bills just the price per unit.
  When taxed per mile is introduced, which it could be after the next election as the Labour government hunt more of your money to spend on pet projects let's see where the land lies then.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on March 28, 2024, 02:54:11 pm by albie »
Selby,

You have to pay standing charges in any case, it does not make a difference if you are running an ICE vehicle or an EV.
I don't see your point.

The average annual fuel costs for typical ICE is £1377 per year, for full electric vehicles on a mix of night charging & some public charging its £270 per year, or just £161 on just night rate elec.

A new road charge based on mileage replacing the present tax would be a a good thing, because low network use would mean lower costs.
Many would be better off, while others would have to pay properly for the wear and tear damage on the network they contribute to.

The road charge is nothing to do with the EV/ICE debate.
It would likely be implemented by number plate recognition, a technology that is already available.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on March 28, 2024, 07:54:35 pm by selby »
  Albie, I am too old to be bothered at all about electric or Ice cars, the one I have 12 months old will see me out, but the fuel duty raised on diesel and petrol sales will have to be recovered.
  So a tax on charging or most likely a charge per mile will be introduced probably in the first or second labour budget.
  Every duty at the moment is skewed to ice transport, remove them from the roads and that money has to be found and added to the EV costs, they will be very expensive to run, maintain, repair, and insure, which the second hand market is already finding out, with residual values falling and dealers refusing to stock EVs. and private buyers dropping out of the market.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on March 31, 2024, 01:57:53 pm by DRFC_AjA »
You can get Fiskers dirt cheap now :woot: another EV firm on the brink of bankruptcy. And as I mentioned in a different post this is exactly why you should be allowed to short sell shares. A fraud of a company that has been creative with its book keeping for years. This dog used to be valued at billions

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/fisker-reportedly-temporarily-misplaced-millions-of-dollars-in-payments-for-its-evs/ar-BB1kHU03

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on March 31, 2024, 04:53:34 pm by selby »
  I have just  received a letter from Evans Halshaw on Wheatley Hall Road that their show room is being closed later this year and my car will be serviced at the Peugeot Vauxhall joint show room and service station nearby.
 So sales and service personnel out of jobs, the reason when I asked was sales have slumped since going mainly EV in the PSA group.
  Will it be the first of many ?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on April 02, 2024, 07:58:32 am by normal rules »
  I have just  received a letter from Evans Halshaw on Wheatley Hall Road that their show room is being closed later this year and my car will be serviced at the Peugeot Vauxhall joint show room and service station nearby.
 So sales and service personnel out of jobs, the reason when I asked was sales have slumped since going mainly EV in the PSA group.
  Will it be the first of many ?

Our local JLR showroom is suspected to be one of over 100 JLR dealerships that will close soon. It’s not been open that long. The salesman we spoke to there yesterday reckons it’s down to the whole JLR fleet going Electric. And they are cutting costs by getting rid of showrooms.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012