Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:58:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gillingham away.  (Read 3772 times)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Gillingham away.
« on February 25, 2024, 02:21:32 pm by Draytonian III »
Last game of the season is it on Saturday 27th of April or Sunday 28th of April ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Gillingham away.
« Reply #1 on February 25, 2024, 02:35:04 pm by drfchound »
Last game of the season is it on Saturday 27th of April or Sunday 28th of April ?

BBC has it as the Saturday.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 25, 2024, 02:40:04 pm by adamtherover »
Calendar says 27th..

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 25, 2024, 02:49:07 pm by Draytonian III »
Yeah I’ve seen the date but don’t the powers that be namely Sky move the kick off times for the last match to suit tv coverage

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 25, 2024, 02:53:13 pm by drfchound »
Yeah I’ve seen the date but don’t the powers that be namely Sky move the kick off times for the last match to suit tv coverage

I suppose they might switch it if Rovers need a point to finish top half and let those of us who still have our bets on have a chance of collecting some winnings.  ;)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 25, 2024, 03:52:40 pm by IDM »

The last round of fixtures always kick off at the same time.  The 3 EFL divisions each have different times (over sat/sun) don’t they?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 25, 2024, 05:31:18 pm by normal rules »

I suppose they might switch it if Rovers need a point to finish top half and let those of us who still have our bets on have a chance of collecting some winnings.  ;)

For those that believe in top half finish still , surely now is the time to further speculate to accumulate ?

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 25, 2024, 05:53:57 pm by Draytonian III »

The last round of fixtures always kick off at the same time.  The 3 EFL divisions each have different times (over sat/sun) don’t they?

That’s what I thought, remember Hartlepool away when we needed a win for the title, the kick off was at 17.00 or 17.30

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 25, 2024, 06:50:02 pm by drfchound »

For those that believe in top half finish still , surely now is the time to further speculate to accumulate ?

I still have my bet in place but in all honesty I don’t now expect us to get a top half finish.
If we do I will see it as a massive bonus.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 26, 2024, 12:35:41 pm by Avsuptem »
It would be great if we have something to play for in this game at the dreadful Priestfield Stadium. Even if it's just a top half finish or hopefully the dizzy heights of a still not impossible place in the play offs. Trouble is it is traditionally a grave yard for DRFC. I have the misfortune to reside not far from Gillingham when in UK so this match is a regular for me, I have rarely seen us get anything here or any compensation for the ignominy of being perched on top of a scaffold stand. I remember on one occasion, back in the seventies, us Rovers supporters were locked in for a full fifteen minutes after the finish so that the soft southerners could mince their way home without fear of being eaten by Yorkshiremen.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 26, 2024, 01:10:18 pm by Campsall rover »
It would be great if we have something to play for in this game at the dreadful Priestfield Stadium. Even if it's just a top half finish or hopefully the dizzy heights of a still not impossible place in the play offs. Trouble is it is traditionally a grave yard for DRFC. I have the misfortune to reside not far from Gillingham when in UK so this match is a regular for me, I have rarely seen us get anything here or any compensation for the ignominy of being perched on top of a scaffold stand. I remember on one occasion, back in the seventies, us Rovers supporters were locked in for a full fifteen minutes after the finish so that the soft southerners could mince their way home without fear of being eaten by Yorkshiremen.
They are 2nd to Reading as our worst bogey team in the entire EFL
Our away record is horrific.  Although we did win at Priestfield a few years ago. A very rare away win at as you say a graveyard for us.

Since 2005 our overall record has improved considerably and we have rarely lost at home. Possibly only once. Lots of draws.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 01:32:11 pm by Campsall rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 26, 2024, 01:15:14 pm by drfchound »

I have watched Rovers at Gillingham just the one time.
We won 3-1.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 26, 2024, 01:21:44 pm by Campsall rover »

We won 3-1.
Been 6 times and never seen us win.

Just had a look and between 1971 & 1986 we played them 14 times. Lost 11 & drew 3

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 26, 2024, 01:35:19 pm by Campsall rover »

We won 3-1.
If the impossible happens and we need 3 points for a play off position in that last match this season then YOU WILL BE GOING TO THE GAME HOUND. No ifs or butts.   :that:

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 26, 2024, 02:25:52 pm by Pancho Regan »
I've only been to this fixture once and it was a memorable occasion, but not all for good reasons.

November 30th 1985.

My eldest brother was living in Brussels (as he does now) and I was living near Keighley in West Yorkshire (as I do now).
For some reason we decided to meet up for the away game at Gillingham. Well, it was roughly half way between where we lived, so you can see the logic.....

So I set off driving from home at stupid o'clock that Saturday morning, as my brother departed Brussels, heading for France and the Calais - Dover ferry.

I picked him up from Dover and we headed off to Gillingham.
The weather was .... err... November-ish.

The fog thickened as we got closer to the ground and by the time the game kicked off, we literally couldn't see the goalmouth at the other end of the pitch from our vantage point behind the opposite goal.
Only the cheers from the home fans in the 3,500 crowd informed us that Rovers were 0-2 down after 6 minutes. We couldn't really leave early and go home, so we stuck it out.

It finished 0-4, a miserable performance by the Rovers to match the miserable weather.

Not to worry, we retired (hurt) to our lodgings for the night - a very comfortable country pub somewhere outside Gillingham.
There, we ate a hearty meal and drowned our sorrows while talking of better times gone, and better times to come.

We later heard that several Rovers players were involved in a punch-up between each other in the dressing room at half time. Not the best way to prepare for a second-half comeback!
My memory might be failing me but I think it was Duggie and Dave Cusack who allegedly traded punches, each blaming the other for the goals conceded.

Sunday morning, I drove our kid back to Dover for his ferry to Calais, and I headed back north.

I've never been back to Gillingham.....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 03:21:10 pm by Pancho Regan »

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 26, 2024, 03:04:14 pm by turnbull for england »
It was last game of season away couple of times in 90s, remember Oslo  and co( ask yer dad's younger posters) ran a double decker bus  which has gone down in legend

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 26, 2024, 03:53:55 pm by idler »
My only time was 1966/67. I went there for the last match in a relegation season. We lost 1-3 and a young Alan Warboys scored our consolation goal. There was only about half a bus full on the coach.
Those were the days when you went down the night before. We left Waterdale at 11:00 pm so arrived in Gillingham about 7:30am. I remember one lad buying a ball and having a kick about in a local park in either Gillingham or Chatham. After the game the bus didn’t leave until 11:00pm so it was flat beer in a working men’s club for a few hours.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 26, 2024, 04:00:46 pm by Silkscarf »
My only visit was the ‘Fans United’ game v Brighton when they were playing there. I’ve a feeling we won and scored about 3 but could be completely wrong!

Edit: it was 0-0! I must have had a good day out anyway.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 04:08:59 pm by Silkscarf »

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 26, 2024, 04:33:27 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
It was last game of season away couple of times in 90s, remember Oslo  and co( ask yer dad's younger posters) ran a double decker bus  which has gone down in legend

There were all sorts of stories about this particular trip. I remember being told about the 4 Rovers fans who drove down to Gillingham following the bus (as there wasn't enough space left) and on the way home after the game got completely lost and somehow ended up in deepest, darkest Bermondsey. Stopping off at a chippy the Millwall locals soon worked out that they were 'strangers around these here parts' and gave chase. They were very lucky to get out in one piece!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 26, 2024, 04:36:32 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I've only been to this fixture once and it was a memorable occasion, but not all for good reasons.

November 30th 1985.

My eldest brother was living in Brussels (as he does now) and I was living near Keighley in West Yorkshire (as I do now).
For some reason we decided to meet up for the away game at Gillingham. Well, it was roughly half way between where we lived, so you can see the logic.....

So I set off driving from home at stupid o'clock that Saturday morning, as my brother departed Brussels, heading for France and the Calais - Dover ferry.

I picked him up from Dover and we headed off to Gillingham.
The weather was .... err... November-ish.

The fog thickened as we got closer to the ground and by the time the game kicked off, we literally couldn't see the goalmouth at the other end of the pitch from our vantage point behind the opposite goal.
Only the cheers from the home fans in the 3,500 crowd informed us that Rovers were 0-2 down after 6 minutes. We couldn't really leave early and go home, so we stuck it out.

It finished 0-4, a miserable performance by the Rovers to match the miserable weather.

Not to worry, we retired (hurt) to our lodgings for the night - a very comfortable country pub somewhere outside Gillingham.
There, we ate a hearty meal and drowned our sorrows while talking of better times gone, and better times to come.

We later heard that several Rovers players were involved in a punch-up between each other in the dressing room at half time. Not the best way to prepare for a second-half comeback!
My memory might be failing me but I think it was Duggie and Dave Cusack who allegedly traded punches, each blaming the other for the goals conceded.

Sunday morning, I drove our kid back to Dover for his ferry to Calais, and I headed back north.

I've never been back to Gillingham.....

I remember this one well Pancho and you're absolutely spot on. Everything about the day was a total disaster!! I'd forgotten about the rumours of the players punch up, but now you mention it I think that you're right!

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 26, 2024, 05:59:35 pm by Muttley »

I was on that bus...it was eventful to say the least!

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 26, 2024, 06:05:58 pm by Alickismyhero »
I was there when we scored all 3 goals and lost 2-1!!!!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 26, 2024, 06:14:13 pm by scawsby steve »
My one trip there was on a beautiful sunny day. In an entertaining game, we drew 2-2. The fact that Willie Nimmo was in goal, and Ray Veal scored our second equaliser, shows how long ago it was.

The strange thing is, I never forget long train journeys, especially if London and the Underground are involved. Yet I can't remember anything about that journey.

I seem to think that we went from King's Cross to Victoria Station, but I can't remember going on the Tube. Maybe we got a bus there.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 26, 2024, 07:11:51 pm by turnbull for england »
R
I was there when we scored all 3 goals and lost 2-1!!!!
[

Rufus Brevett og that was nominated their goal of season ?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 27, 2024, 08:36:33 am by Campsall rover »
We have a total of 3 wins in 36 away games at Gillingham since our 1st meeting in 1960
I of those 36 in FA Cup
To say the Priestfield is a graveyard is a massive understatement.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 08:40:38 am by Campsall rover »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 27, 2024, 10:16:56 am by IDM »
I’ve been once, can’t remember exactly (2006-8 ish) and we won 2-0.

100% Rovers for me there.!!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 27, 2024, 10:27:57 am by Bentley Bullet »
My one trip there was on a beautiful sunny day. In an entertaining game, we drew 2-2. The fact that Willie Nimmo was in goal, and Ray Veal scored our second equaliser, shows how long ago it was.

The strange thing is, I never forget long train journeys, especially if London and the Underground are involved. Yet I can't remember anything about that journey.

I seem to think that we went from King's Cross to Victoria Station, but I can't remember going on the Tube. Maybe we got a bus there.
Wouldn't it have been a stagecoach back then?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 27, 2024, 10:30:04 am by Campsall rover »

YOU ARE ALSO GOING IDM to last game of season if by some miracle we need 3 points for a play off place.

In fact both you & hound WILL be going ( NO IFFS & BUTTS ) if we need the points to finish top 12 because we have several fans it would seem who have bets on us finishing top half.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 27, 2024, 10:35:03 am by Campsall rover »

That would be 13th Jan 2007 when we won 2-0
I missed that one  :crying:

Armthorpe mickler

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 27, 2024, 06:10:21 pm by Armthorpe mickler »
I remember the 4-0 and Mickey Stead in the fog.That was nearly as bad as the Darlington Sunday game we won.Went to Gillingham 4 seasons running and never even saw a draw.Saw them win down there a few years ago but don't like the uncovered seats.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012