Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 01:37:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Can we do it?  (Read 29090 times)

Prez

• VSC Member
Re: Can we do it?
« Reply #330 on April 17, 2024, 11:25:35 am by Prez »
It’s worth noting that Bradford have a big say in the run in. They are away to Walsall on Saturday and then away to Barrow on Tuesday.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #331 on April 17, 2024, 01:13:00 pm by ravenrover »
It's like building a house of cards or playing Jenga you fear the worst and expect at any time for it to come crashing down.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #332 on April 17, 2024, 02:00:57 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Everything to gain, nothing to lose. Same as before the previous 8 games and beyond.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #333 on April 17, 2024, 10:28:01 pm by pib »
Now it’s in our hands my mindset has completely shifted, despite my best efforts to stop it, to being really nervous now and hoping with everything that we do it.

Before it was a case of, we only have an outside chance anyway so let’s just keep it going as long as possible.

I hope the players have a stronger focus and mentality than me because I’m really building up these 3 games in my head now.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #334 on April 17, 2024, 11:53:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Now it’s in our hands my mindset has completely shifted, despite my best efforts to stop it, to being really nervous now and hoping with everything that we do it.

Before it was a case of, we only have an outside chance anyway so let’s just keep it going as long as possible.

I hope the players have a stronger focus and mentality than me because I’m really building up these 3 games in my head now.

You're not alone. It's human nature. Although we now know we can, we've never been in possession of a play off spot so it's up to us to go and grab it. The fans of Crawley, Barrow and possibly Crewe are the ones probably bricking it.

We've just got to overcome this and make sure positive vibes continue to be transmitted from the stands to the pitch and help the players get into the groove.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #335 on April 18, 2024, 12:40:08 am by Michael Shaw »
Of course we will be in league one next season. Rovers are unstoppable and have the right mindset to keep winning. I really don't understand the doubt in the minds of fans.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #336 on April 18, 2024, 08:19:28 am by drfchound »

I have read through some posts of the last few days and have noticed a shift in thoughts of quite a few posters.
As I said a couple of days back, it is sometimes better to be the hunter, rather than the hunted.
Let’s just keep hunting lads, let the others worry about us.

You're not alone. It's human nature. Although we now know we can, we've never been in possession of a play off spot so it's up to us to go and grab it. The fans of Crawley, Barrow and possibly Crewe are the ones probably bricking it.

We've just got to overcome this and make sure positive vibes continue to be transmitted from the stands to the pitch and help the players get into the groove.

LondonRover1

« Reply #337 on April 18, 2024, 08:21:31 am by LondonRover1 »
It's been fascinating listening to McCann's pre and post match interviews since we've been on this run. He's never really allowed himself to be drawn into talk of the playoffs usually answering with some form of 'we want to finish the season strong and see where we go'. When asked what his thoughts were on the best winning run in 77 years he said that truthfully he hadn't given it much thought at all.

Someone posted the link to the Crawley manager interview after their defeat to Colchester at the weekend. Not only did he publicly question his own players professionalism but he also started talking about what it would be like on the 27th April to secure the playoffs, since then they've dropped points at home to Barrow are bottom half of the form table on the last 6.

No doubt Grant and Cliff will be keeping the focus of the players on the game ahead. Do that for the remaining games and the table will take care of itself.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #338 on April 18, 2024, 08:22:31 am by StocktonRover »
Just putting this out there, if we win our next 2 games and the other results go our way, we could be celebrating a play off slot after the Colchester game Tuesday night.

For now, take 1 game at a time and if we win we look at the possibilities again and move onto rhe next game.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #339 on April 18, 2024, 08:24:42 am by colincramb »
We have to win on Saturday for me. Finishing up with 2 long distance away games in the space of 3 days isn’t ideal really, is it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #340 on April 18, 2024, 08:26:16 am by drfchound »
We have to win on Saturday for me. Finishing up with 2 long distance away games in the space of 3 days isn’t ideal really, is it.

No, but two games in five days isn’t unusual.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #341 on April 18, 2024, 08:27:34 am by philsky »
Everything to gain, nothing to lose. Same as before the previous 8 games and beyond.

It absolutely is. Although worse as you dont have any choices
It's like building a house of cards or playing Jenga you fear the worst and expect at any time for it to come crashing down.

Yes, 100%. Been waiting for the fall for three games now but we seem to be getting better

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #342 on April 18, 2024, 08:29:13 am by philsky »

I wonder if they'll stay down given the situation. But then I guess they wouldn't get the relative calmness of their home life - ffs, arguing with myself now !

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #343 on April 18, 2024, 08:40:17 am by Alan Southstand »
Come on lads and lasses, are we turning into a bunch of wet lettuces?

What a place to be in, after the previous 2.5 seasons (and quite a lot of this one, to be fair). We’re actually in control!

Hang on, you’ll have to excuse me, I’ve got to change my underwear again. :s

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #344 on April 18, 2024, 09:10:44 am by GazLaz »
This is the first game where the dynamic has changed to “it’s in our hands”. This can have an affect on performance. Hopefully it doesn’t stop us doing what we have been doing in recent games.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #345 on April 18, 2024, 09:14:32 am by RoversInSpain »
Someone posted this and I think it’s really a massive upside for us, in that with all the injuries and the 3 on loas in January our squad is much fresher. Probably got 6 first teamers who have barely done half a season.
3 games in a few days no problem

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #346 on April 18, 2024, 09:46:09 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Make no mistake. Our players are chomping at the bit and can't wait to get out there. If there were any doubts, we wouldn't have won 8 in a row. We haven't had to rely on luck, we've won these games on merit, including being reduced to 10 men v Crawley.

McCann has all the experience we could ever wish for to handle these situations. Plus, we have Woody on the pitch who's been there and done it many times. 100% trust and belief in our team.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #347 on April 18, 2024, 10:31:44 am by Dutch Uncle »
Come on lads and lasses, are we turning into a bunch of wet lettuces?

What a place to be in, after the previous 2.5 seasons (and quite a lot of this one, to be fair). We’re actually in control!

Hang on, you’ll have to excuse me, I’ve got to change my underwear again. :s

Not sure 'taking back control' works all the time Alan  :lol: :lol: :chair:

McCammon egg n chips

• Forum Member
« Reply #348 on April 18, 2024, 10:36:23 am by McCammon egg n chips »
Make no mistake. Our players are chomping at the bit and can't wait to get out there. If there were any doubts, we wouldn't have won 8 in a row. We haven't had to rely on luck, we've won these games on merit, including being reduced to 10 men v Crawley.

McCann has all the experience we could ever wish for to handle these situations. Plus, we have Woody on the pitch who's been there and done it many times. 100% trust and belief in our team.

This is fair. A few people said before the run we'd need to be lucky but it's not been about luck. We've ground out single goal leads - think last few moments v Wrexham for example or away to Crawley down to 10 men. The defending has been excellent. We've deserved our points. In which game have we come away thinking we were the second best team? I can't think of any.

It's a complete mindset adjustment after 3 years of terrible football but let's face it. We are now a decent team, playing decent football. I don't think that's going to fade away suddenly.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #349 on April 18, 2024, 11:40:18 am by BillyStubbsTears »

This is fair. A few people said before the run we'd need to be lucky but it's not been about luck. We've ground out single goal leads - think last few moments v Wrexham for example or away to Crawley down to 10 men. The defending has been excellent. We've deserved our points. In which game have we come away thinking we were the second best team? I can't think of any.

It's a complete mindset adjustment after 3 years of terrible football but let's face it. We are now a decent team, playing decent football. I don't think that's going to fade away suddenly.

It's not been ALL about luck.

But denying that luck has had ANY role is silly.

Luck always plays a role in football.

We've not conceded any goals from snatched shots that were going wide till they hit a defender's arse and looped into the top corner.

We've not had any spectacularly bad decisions by the officials go against us.

We've had a reasonable toss of the coin with injuries.

Mullins chose to finish off a shot that may well have been going in, and gave the linesman the chance to make a hairline decision in our favour.

If luck played no role, football would be as boring to watch as most Rugby League games where the stronger side wins 8 out of 10. It's precisely because the side that plays better on the day often doesn't win that makes football such a edge of the seat watch.

We've played very well.

We've had the help of a little luck.

Let's hope those two things continue over the last week.

PS. As I said earlier, I'm sure Stockport were a good team playing decent football when they won their 13th game in a row. But they only won one of the next 8.

That can happen at any time and it's the beauty of football that good sides don't inevitably win.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 11:42:33 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #350 on April 18, 2024, 12:04:52 pm by Mike_F »

I agree with most of what you've said but on this point in isolation I'd argue that we have seen some bad decisions including a terrible call not to give us a free kick and dismiss the defender who took down Haks when he was clean through on Saturday but we've fortunately been playing well enough to win despite some poor calls from the officials. Likewise the West Stand Lino vs Walsall was appalling but we prospered despite him.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #351 on April 18, 2024, 12:37:35 pm by Filo »

I agree with most of what you've said but on this point in isolation I'd argue that we have seen some bad decisions including a terrible call not to give us a free kick and dismiss the defender who took down Haks when he was clean through on Saturday but we've fortunately been playing well enough to win despite some poor calls from the officials. Likewise the West Stand Lino vs Walsall was appalling but we prospered despite him.

We were denied 2 stonewall pens at Sutton which would have given us 2 more points

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #352 on April 18, 2024, 01:37:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Accepted. But we tend to gloss over balancing mistakes that go for us. At Crawley they had a clear penalty denied when a lad was pulled down in a goalmouth scramble.

My point is that there haven't been any decisions go against us that have denied us points. Arguably one or two ones that have eased our path to wins. And that requires a bit of luck.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #353 on April 18, 2024, 01:38:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

We were denied 2 stonewall pens at Sutton which would have given us 2 more points

Wasn't part of this run that I'm talking about.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #354 on April 18, 2024, 04:03:36 pm by drfchound »

Colin, why is it two games in three days matey.

McCammon egg n chips

• Forum Member
« Reply #355 on April 18, 2024, 04:43:50 pm by McCammon egg n chips »

It's not been ALL about luck.

But denying that luck has had ANY role is silly.

Luck always plays a role in football.

We've not conceded any goals from snatched shots that were going wide till they hit a defender's arse and looped into the top corner.

We've had a reasonable toss of the coin with injuries.

Mullins chose to finish off a shot that may well have been going in, and gave the linesman the chance to make a hairline decision in our favour.

If luck played no role, football would be as boring to watch as most Rugby League games where the stronger side wins 8 out of 10. It's precisely because the side that plays better on the day often doesn't win that makes football such a edge of the seat watch.

We've played very well.

We've had the help of a little luck.

Let's hope those two things continue over the last week.

PS. As I said earlier, I'm sure Stockport were a good team playing decent football when they won their 13th game in a row. But they only won one of the next 8.

That can happen at any time and it's the beauty of football that good sides don't inevitably win.

Yeah we can over analyse tiny moments from lots of matches and say there was a bit of luck here or there. Was it Walsall match they had a few tight calls on whether the ball was over the net etc. Of course as part of any game of football there are things that happen by chance.

My point is I don't think that is responsible for our run. I don't think it's down to luck/chance/whatever.

The other thing that people often forget when saying luck has played a part is how many chances we've missed that if you were to take them again are likely to go in. Open goal against Crawley. Incredible tight offside for Adelakun the other week. The list goes on. I'd say there's as many of them as there have been things like scoring direct from a Corner.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #356 on April 18, 2024, 04:48:56 pm by Mike_F »

Accepted. But we tend to gloss over balancing mistakes that go for us. At Crawley they had a clear penalty denied when a lad was pulled down in a goalmouth scramble.

My point is that there haven't been any decisions go against us that have denied us points. Arguably one or two ones that have eased our path to wins. And that requires a bit of luck.

Yep, point taken on the bit in bold. Partisan, me?

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #357 on April 18, 2024, 05:05:22 pm by Prez »
Just want to say this about Saturday. If we don’t win and results go against us I sincerely hope there is not an ounce of negativity at the ground or on here. This is a free hit for us. No one expected us to be in this position. So let’s embrace it and whatever the result on Saturday I truly hope a large amount of the fans clap the team off and wait for them to come back on, and show their appreciation for such an astonishing and historical run. I certainly will be.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #358 on April 18, 2024, 05:49:28 pm by Upton Rover »
When I posted this on March 18th Rovers we’re 18th in L2 with 46points and had played 37 games. We were a massive 11 points off the last playoff place, then that belonged to AFC Wimbledon. We all know the rest. Every game since then has been our cup final, and all these wins as given the fans something that we have all missed for 2 1/2 years, I want to say a big thank you to the team & Club and to show my appreciation I don’t mind if my voice goes at Saturdays game to Barrow, let’s make some noise and hope that this remarkable run continues. Remember the last 8 wins in a row, if there had been 1 little slip up, we wouldn’t have been in this great position we find ourselves.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #359 on April 18, 2024, 10:52:18 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Lo-Titula.

Wood.

Craig.

Bailey.

Molyneaux.

Adelukan.

Ironside.

Seven players who will not let us down come Saturday.

You can sleep easy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012