Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:35:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Can we do it?  (Read 27651 times)

Dabbermoo and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
Can we do it?
« on March 18, 2024, 08:25:09 pm by Upton Rover »
I’m going to be optimistic and say we will get 21/22 points from our last 9 games.
Is there anyone else who thinks this is possible, and would it get us in the playoffs??

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Can we do it?
« Reply #1 on March 18, 2024, 08:28:45 pm by drfchound »
I doubt that would get a play off spot mate but it should get us a top half finish and some of us, who didn’t cash out, would get a payout from the bookies.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 18, 2024, 08:43:22 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I’m going to be optimistic and say we will get 21/22 points from our last 9 games.
Is there anyone else who thinks this is possible, and would it get us in the playoffs??

My gut feeling, taking into account we have a terrible goal difference:

27 points from 9 games = 73 points - 70% chance playoffs
25 points from 9 games = 71 points - 30% chance playoffs
24 points from 9 games = 70 points - 10% chance playoffs

Anything less 0%

Basically no chance

Edit: BTW, since 3 points per game introduced in 1981-82, and using points per game for seasons where less than 46 games played, average points for 7th place is 71.6. With all the teams challenging this year someone will have a very good run to take 7th (assuming none of the top 6 collapse). 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 08:49:18 pm by Dutch Uncle »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 18, 2024, 08:56:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I still think 67 or 68 points will sneak into the play offs, but alas I don't think WE will but, we want to see McCann and the boys keep going right till the end. I think we'll fall just short

Still, as long as they treat every game now as a cup final, we're capable of beating anyone, particularly as squeaky bum time sets in and the nerves jangle.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 18, 2024, 09:14:26 pm by GazLaz »
I think we will average around 1.5 points per game in the remaining games.that leaves us on less than 60 points.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 18, 2024, 09:21:21 pm by dickos1 »
Realistically I think we will end up with 61-62 points
Not thinking realistically I’m hoping we can get 67-68

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 18, 2024, 09:28:13 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I still think 67 or 68 points will sneak into the play offs, but alas I don't think WE will but, we want to see McCann and the boys keep going right till the end. I think we'll fall just short

Still, as long as they treat every game now as a cup final, we're capable of beating anyone, particularly as squeaky bum time sets in and the nerves jangle.

Only once in those 42 seasons has the equivalent of 68 points (I say equivalent because some seasons had less than  46 games) won a place in the playoffs - Torquay in 2010-11 who made it on goal difference, and that includes them having a point deducted. This year there seems to be a bit of a gap after 6th place, and the chances are someone from places 7 to 12 will have a good run to at least 70 points, and maybe more. Happy to eat humble pie if I am proved wrong. :blush:

68 was also good for 7th place in 1983-84, but that was before playoffs were introduced.

BTW, if we get to 60 points IMHO that will be a very good achievement

Edit: Doing a bit of research, there were 168 draws in 2011, a relatively high number which brings the overall points total down

For comparison, missing out 2019-20 which was not fully played out because of COVID, going backwards recent seasons number of draws have been 160, 152, 151, 148, 143, 143, 141, 141 (bit of a trend there  :))

So far this season 123 draws which is on track for approximately 150.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 09:48:26 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 18, 2024, 09:31:11 pm by Jonathan »
Lower mid table will be alright given where we have been. I’ll take that. I agree we’ll finish on somewhere towards 60ish points, maybe just short. Again that’s okay and we have a platform from which to build for next season.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 18, 2024, 09:31:59 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
well crawley have just equalised grrrrr 85th minute

it seems like stockport are bombarding them going for the winner

not be its a draw
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 09:39:14 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 18, 2024, 10:41:53 pm by Colin C No.3 »
My mate Bob is a builder who is currently doing some work for me.

I asked him that very question & without any further prevarication he simply answered “Yes we can”!”.

I never argue with Bob.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 18, 2024, 11:50:42 pm by MachoMadness »
No, we can't. But there are still reasons to be cheerful if we continue to improve and have a strong finish.

Considering how we started the season and how we finished last season, a top half finish would be pretty spectacular. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be the first time we've actually improved on the previous season's finish since McCann was here last time. That's the first sign of actual progress as a club in years. That could be massive going into next season.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 19, 2024, 05:58:59 am by Chris Black come back »
No, we can't. But there are still reasons to be cheerful if we continue to improve and have a strong finish.

Considering how we started the season and how we finished last season, a top half finish would be pretty spectacular. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be the first time we've actually improved on the previous season's finish since McCann was here last time. That's the first sign of actual progress as a club in years. That could be massive going into next season.

I agree with this. There are still a lot of fantasists out there, but we have shown since the turn of the year what a good side we can be, and if we do finish above last season, that will be the first progress for several seasons.

While a number of existing squad players have definitely upped their game in the last few months, it is obvious the difference made by TLT, Craig, Adelakun and most recently Biamou. It is fairly likely that three of that four are not going to be here next season.

That’s disappointing but it is much more valuable that McCann is still able to identify and attract quality players. That bodes well for recruitment this summer when we have a lot of the current wage bill rolling off contracts and provides a major opportunity to invest in new talent.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 19, 2024, 07:03:57 am by Avsuptem »
You are probably right that 3 of the 4 will not be here next season but 3 of the 4 could be with us next season if the money is made available. I guess the least likely one to be able to keep would be Craig and the most likely one Biamou.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 19, 2024, 11:36:08 am by Upton Rover »

It always happens season after season that teams that have been in the playoff spots most of the season, some will fade in the last few games. It’s the same with you will always get a unlikely team that puts in a great performance,  kicking out 7/8 wins in the final 10 games, and come from nowhere to clinch a playoff spot, and I believe that can be us, the unlikely candidates have nothing to lose.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 19, 2024, 11:46:47 am by andy didcott »
Only 11 points off, doesn’t sound too much does it, top half would be great for me tho, quids in.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 19, 2024, 11:53:11 am by belton rover »
I have a number of goals in my head for our run in, to chalk off one by one:
1. Climb above Notts County
2. Climb above Bradford
3. Top half
4. Top 10
5. 7th

One step at a time.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 19, 2024, 11:53:24 am by Campsall rover »

It always happens season after season that teams that have been in the playoff spots most of the season, some will fade in the last few games. It’s the same with you will always get a unlikely team that puts in a great performance,  kicking out 7/8 wins in the final 10 games, and come from nowhere to clinch a playoff spot, and I believe that can be us, the unlikely candidates have nothing to lose.
I think I if we win the next 2 games then there are a lot of people both Rovers fans and fans of other clubs are going to seriously think exactly what you have posted Upton.

FGR is a game we should win but need to win, and Crawley I think could be the toughest game of all our remaining games and is just about a must win game. If we do win these 2 then the almost unbelievable is actually a realistic POSSIBLE but still not a PROBABLE.
Bring it on. This could be a really exciting finish to the season. If as probable we don’t make the play offs so be it.
The momentum going into next season will be a massive boost.

We WILL be promoted next season. You heard it here 1st.
If I am wrong then feel free to post this back to me in May 2025.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 19, 2024, 12:11:04 pm by Butchers Red »
Would be nice if Bradford and Notts draw tonight

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 19, 2024, 12:47:49 pm by Chris Black come back »

Anything less 0%

Basically no chance

Edit: BTW, since 3 points per game introduced in 1981-82, and using points per game for seasons where less than 46 games played, average points for 7th place is 71.6. With all the teams challenging this year someone will have a very good run to take 7th (assuming none of the top 6 collapse). 

The other fact to take into account Dutch is that winning our next nine games, which is what is required to get us into the play offs realistically, would mean an 11 game winning run.

We have been established as a club since 1879 and spent nearly 100 years in total as a league club. Throughout that entire league history our record league winning run is 10 games (1946/47 season).

Are we going to break an all time record this season, of all seasons?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 19, 2024, 12:55:37 pm by Campsall rover »

Anything less 0%

Basically no chance

The other fact to take into account Dutch is that winning our next nine games, which is what is required to get us into the play offs realistically, would mean an 11 game winning run.

We have been established as a club since 1879 and spent nearly 100 years in total as a league club. Throughout that entire league history our record league winning run is 10 games (1946/47 season).

We might only need 8 wins or 7 wins and 2 draws.

Records are there to be broken CBcb
Having said that I think 11 consecutive wins is highly unlikely. 

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 19, 2024, 01:01:28 pm by Pancho Regan »
I doubt that would get a play off spot mate but it should get us a top half finish and some of us, who didn’t cash out, would get a payout from the bookies.

A top half finish would do for me hound, especially for the reason you state. When I placed that top-half bet I thought it was nailed on!
Grimsby finished in 11th place last season with 61 points. If we can do that, I'll be more than happy.

At this stage last season we sat in 12th spot with 51 points.
We only gained a further 4 points during the rest of the season. I think we're going to beat that!

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 19, 2024, 01:03:28 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Anything less 0%

Basically no chance

We might only need 8 wins or 7 wins and 2 draws.

Records are there to be broken CBcb
Having said that I think 11 consecutive wins is highly unlikely.

i think I predicted 11 consecutive wins in one season in the "P & O"  (need BST to verify this )  so if i can do it ..............................

nowadays I'm lucky to get one in a row

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 19, 2024, 01:08:35 pm by normal rules »
To finish this season on a high and with a continuing upward trajectory will be a great start to next season . We have ended recent seasons in decline . Last season being a good example which carried itself into this season .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 19, 2024, 01:20:07 pm by Alan Southstand »
From where we were before Christmas, it’s just refreshing to be even reading this thread!

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 19, 2024, 01:21:59 pm by normal rules »
A top half finish would be incredible. And not just for those that lumped on a bet

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 19, 2024, 02:05:11 pm by BigH »
From where we were before Christmas, it’s just refreshing to be even reading this thread!

Or as recently as the end of January!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 19, 2024, 02:34:06 pm by Filo »
What did the table look like after the boxing day fixtures compared to today?

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 19, 2024, 02:50:12 pm by Pancho Regan »
What did the table look like after the boxing day fixtures compared to today?

We were 20th, with 24 points from 23 games.
7 points above relegation and only 8 points above bottom-placed FGR.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 02:52:28 pm by Pancho Regan »

Dabbermoo

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 19, 2024, 03:06:11 pm by Dabbermoo »
I have massively renewed faith that this team can get us to within touching distance of the play offs, the 2nd half against Swindon is the reason why, as GM  has said a few months ago we would have lost that game and I 100% agree, the changes to the team from Jan is unbelievable compared to the start of the season. TLT has been a revelation in goal, as much as Jones is a fans favourite and a local lad he is levels below TLT imo, having RW back and in command of the defence and forming a fantastic playing relationship with Tom has paid dividends, Craig in midfield took a few games to click but very much imo of the HK mould and a class above and then we get onto Haks.... what can you say? What a player we have, what a talent he is and what a contribution he has made. Then Max on his first start scores a screamer and we move up the table again, why can't we dream that this is going to have a fairytale ending. Would you change the starting 11 this week or stay the same? I would keep it as was and give JI and MC further rest, I feel the FGR game will be a lot easier than the Swindon game and is at home, home crowd to roar the lads on, constant noise in a positive manner from all the home stands, get the drummer to constantly beat that drum, get the songs and chants going loud and proud and keep the netto brigade nice and quiet and in their box. Onwards and upwards!!!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 03:09:53 pm by Dabbermoo »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 19, 2024, 03:12:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I think there's some reality checks needed here.

If we make the playoffs, we'll have had to win something like 42 points from the last 17 games.

That's equivalent to 113 points over a full season.

It's better than even Penney's juggernaut of a team managed in the best spell of form I have ever seen from a Rovers side in Autumn 2003.

We have improved a lot, but we are a long way off being that good.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012