Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:18:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Can we do it?  (Read 27001 times)

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Can we do it?
« Reply #60 on March 23, 2024, 09:09:24 pm by Upton Rover »
If we beat Crawly the dream is well and truly on

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on March 23, 2024, 09:10:22 pm by Pancho Regan »
We write FGR off at our peril, I don't think they will come to the Eco to roll over. Sadly I'm in Devon for this one so good luck.

They are the type of low possession team we struggle against. I don’t think we will win.

We totally dominated that game today, not only in terms of possession but by every other metric.

It really should have been more than 2-0 but earlier in the season we may have failed to win that game.

We can’t make the play-offs but I’m looking at that top half finish with growing confidence.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on March 23, 2024, 09:23:29 pm by Metalmicky »
If we beat Crawly the dream is well and truly on

Or even Crawley

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on March 23, 2024, 09:50:03 pm by bpoolrover »
Another good win and things are finally starting to look good for next season, there are far to many teams above us to make the play offs, which could be a good thing in the long run

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on March 23, 2024, 10:08:14 pm by Alan Southstand »
Our big test next week at Crawley - the other team in very good form. Despatched Tranmere today, no problem.

I would take a draw now, but I think they may well edge it.

However, we have crept 1 point closer to the play-off’s, now 10 points off.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on March 23, 2024, 10:15:22 pm by PDX_Rover »
We’ll do them. We’re playing without fear.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on March 23, 2024, 10:16:48 pm by dickos1 »
Another good win and things are finally starting to look good for next season, there are far to many teams above us to make the play offs, which could be a good thing in the long run

The number of teams above us is surely irrelevent.
If 73 points gets you a play off spot then that’s what we need regardless of whether there are 2 teams above us or 12

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on March 23, 2024, 11:41:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

If 73 points gets you a play off spot then that’s what we need regardless of whether there are 2 teams above us or 12

That's correct (IF 73 points is the target).

The problem is, to hit 73 points would require us to have finished the last 18 games of the season with 15 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat. That's not impossible of course, but as far as I can see, we've only once in our history had a run as good as that, at the start of the 1946/47 season.

Be a grand end to the season if we did achieve that, mind.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on March 23, 2024, 11:49:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
PS. The point about there being a lot of teams above us is that it makes it pointless to talk about how many points off the top 7 we are at the moment. Because we haven't just got to overtake the team currently in 7th place. We've also got to overtake the teams currently in 8th, 9th, 10th etc. And even if by some near miracle we DID catch Crawley, that could only happen if they have a dip in form. Which would mean, chances are a few other sides would also catch them.

That's why it makes more sense to look at a likely points target. And when you do that, it is a MUCH harder task for us.

Not to say I won't get a tiny playoff sex tingle if we beat them next week.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on March 24, 2024, 02:38:49 am by Colemans Left Hook »
PS. The point about there being a lot of teams above us is that it makes it pointless to talk about how many points off the top 7 we are at the moment. Because we haven't just got to overtake the team currently in 7th place. We've also got to overtake the teams currently in 8th, 9th, 10th etc. And even if by some near miracle we DID catch Crawley, that could only happen if they have a dip in form. Which would mean, chances are a few other sides would also catch them.

That's why it makes more sense to look at a likely points target. And when you do that, it is a MUCH harder task for us.

Not to say I won't get a tiny playoff sex tingle if we beat them next week.

if we have a "Good Friday" you might just be en route to a delayed full blown 0urgasm
Crawley have a "double-handful" of hard matches and will need to rise to the occasion

Monday 1st April
LEAGUE TWO
Newport County
15:00
Crawley Town      ......  should Crawley win that's hellpfulle for "top halverz"

Saturday 6th April
LEAGUE TWO
Mansfield Town
Crawley Town

Tuesday 9th April
LEAGUE TWO
Wrexham
19:45
Crawley Town

Saturday 13th April
LEAGUE TWO
Crawley Town
Colchester United     they got ahead against Mansfield yesterday and are a tough cookie -definitely not past their sell by date

Tuesday 16th April
LEAGUE TWO
Crawley Town
19:45
Barrow

Saturday 20th April
LEAGUE TWO
Sutton United
Crawley Town

Saturday 27th April
LEAGUE TWO
Crawley Town
Grimsby Town

remember always do your research

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 02:54:26 am by Colemans Left Hook »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on March 24, 2024, 07:34:15 am by dickos1 »

The problem is, to hit 73 points would require us to have finished the last 18 games of the season with 15 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat. That's not impossible of course, but as far as I can see, we've only once in our history had a run as good as that, at the start of the 1946/47 season.

Not suggesting it’s something we’re going to achieve. Just pointing out the number of teams inbetween us and the playoffs is irrelevent.
It’s the point target that’s the important thing

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on March 24, 2024, 08:02:16 am by Jonathan »
First target for me is another 7 points that would mean we better last season’s total. Then let’s see where we get to.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on March 24, 2024, 08:03:39 am by NickDRFC »

Not suggesting it’s something we’re going to achieve. Just pointing out the number of teams inbetween us and the playoffs is irrelevent.
It’s the point target that’s the important thing

Which would be an easier scenario?

1. We are sitting in 8th, 10 points behind 7th
2. We are sitting in 18th, 10 points behind 7th

Of course it’s relevant, as things stand we have to overhaul 10 points AND hope that our total isn’t matched or close to matched by any of the 10 teams above us. If we were just a place behind then all we would have to do was overhaul one team.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on March 24, 2024, 08:19:20 am by mushRTID »
Exactly if more teams have the same opportunity/chance as us how on earth can it be irrelevant.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on March 24, 2024, 08:37:16 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
The only relevant thing is winning the next match. End of.

Form, points, position in the league will look after themselves.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on March 24, 2024, 09:08:15 am by drfcsteve »
Opta’s supercomputer has been predicting the final league 2 positions, or at least the percentage chance each team has of finishing in each position.

Prior to yesterday’s result it thought we had less than a 0.1% chance of finishing 7th (0.3% chance of finishing 8th). It doesn’t seem to have updated yet after yesterdays results, but suspect our chances will have creeped up, albeit still very very unlikely

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on March 24, 2024, 09:18:31 am by normal rules »
I always look to the ppg.
Rovers are currently at 1.28 ppg for the season.
A win against Crawley increases this by 0.05ppg to 1.33. For perspective , Stags are currently on 1.87 ppg. To equal this level rovers would need to go on and win ten games in the bounce increasing the ppg by 0.5.and there’s only 8 games left. Another way of looking at it is rovers can now only max out at 73 points. That’s just 1.58ppg for season end . Crawley are currently on 1.55.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on March 24, 2024, 09:23:00 am by belton rover »
If we keep winning, the points gap keeps closing.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on March 24, 2024, 09:27:03 am by normal rules »
Put bluntly it would require a quite extraordinary set of circumstances for rovers to make 7th now. The likes of which may never have been seen before . Starting with a win in every remaining game . And even then reliant on the likes of Crawley having a sudden and catastrophic dip in form. It’s an exciting talking point. But in footballing terms it’s about as far fetched as it gets .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on March 24, 2024, 09:36:54 am by Chris Black come back »
Put bluntly it would require a quite extraordinary set of circumstances for rovers to make 7th now. The likes of which may never have been seen before . Starting with a win in every remaining game . And even then reliant on the likes of Crawley having a sudden and catastrophic dip in form. It’s an exciting talking point. But in footballing terms it’s about as far fetched as it gets .

This is correct.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on March 24, 2024, 09:48:49 am by Barmby Rover »
I still think 67 or 68 points will sneak into the play offs, but alas I don't think WE will but, we want to see McCann and the boys keep going right till the end. I think we'll fall just short

Still, as long as they treat every game now as a cup final, we're capable of beating anyone, particularly as squeaky bum time sets in and the nerves jangle.
It always happens season after season that teams that have been in the playoff spots most of the season, some will fade in the last few games. It’s the same with you will always get a unlikely team that puts in a great performance,  kicking out 7/8 wins in the final 10 games, and come from nowhere to clinch a playoff spot, and I believe that can be us, the unlikely candidates have nothing to lose.
I think I if we win the next 2 games then there are a lot of people both Rovers fans and fans of other clubs are going to seriously think exactly what you have posted Upton.

FGR is a game we should win but need to win, and Crawley I think could be the toughest game of all our remaining games and is just about a must win game. If we do win these 2 then the almost unbelievable is actually a realistic POSSIBLE but still not a PROBABLE.
Bring it on. This could be a really exciting finish to the season. If as probable we don’t make the play offs so be it.
The momentum going into next season will be a massive boost.

We WILL be promoted next season. You heard it here 1st.
If I am wrong then feel free to post this back to me in May 2025.

Far too early to go for that one, lets see how the monopoly game goes over the summer, and whether the banker has enough to make it happen.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on March 24, 2024, 10:06:58 am by normal rules »
If Haks is happy here, and he does seem to have found his mojo and created a niche for himself, then it’s down to wages. If Rovers don’t secure his services for next season then it’s back to the loan merry go round. And that would speak volumes to me personally in terms of the clubs actual ambitions.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on March 24, 2024, 10:26:18 am by JonWallsend »
If Haks is happy here, and he does seem to have found his mojo and created a niche for himself, then it’s down to wages. If Rovers don’t secure his services for next season then it’s back to the loan merry go round. And that would speak volumes to me personally in terms of the clubs actual ambitions.

Ambition  is open to definition. I assume the club will offer Haks something  but then as you allude to, it comes down to factors  such as playing time, personal happiness  and overwhelmingly wages.
I wouldn't  want to risk blowing  the budget on 'ambition' to secure his services  or that of any other player. We have to accept that we can't  compete with some teams irrelevant  of ambition

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on March 24, 2024, 10:27:45 am by Chris Black come back »
I fear it is not just wages. As important you would have thought is whether next season is going to be our last in League Two. He’s dropping down a league and clearly there is a big gap between the two in terms of profile, visibility and status. If we finish this season like a rocket he might think we have a genuine shot of promotion next season. Doubt he’ll sign with us even on good money if he thinks this is a contract with League Two. Not so enticing.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on March 24, 2024, 10:30:23 am by drfchound »
Haks didn’t score yesterday or get a goal assist but he was always the one who looked most likely to.
He is great to watch and his close control and awareness of where players are around him makes him a thorn  in the side of opposition defenders.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on March 24, 2024, 10:39:31 am by drfcsteve »
If we keep winning, the points gap keeps closing.

Not necessarily, that’s the problem.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on March 24, 2024, 10:42:10 am by adamtherover »
For league 1 and 2 players, it's about money, none of them are millionaires and will have to find employment after football, so will make hay whilst the sun shines..

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on March 24, 2024, 10:43:24 am by drfchound »
No other team in L2 right now has won their last three matches.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on March 24, 2024, 12:06:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Opta’s supercomputer has been predicting the final league 2 positions, or at least the percentage chance each team has of finishing in each position.

Prior to yesterday’s result it thought we had less than a 0.1% chance of finishing 7th (0.3% chance of finishing 8th). It doesn’t seem to have updated yet after yesterdays results, but suspect our chances will have creeped up, albeit still very very unlikely

That sounds about right.

I haven't checked my model after yesterday, but it's looking like 72-73 points will get 7th place.

That means we need to win all 8 final matches.

Assuming we have a 50/50 chance of winning each (that's quite generous for any side) we'd have a 0.3% chance of winning all 8.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on March 24, 2024, 12:19:09 pm by Bessie Red »
Im going to predict we will get 59 points & finish in 14th place! There done it!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012