Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:42:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Can we do it?  (Read 27851 times)

pib, Petche, BillyStubbsTears, TheFunk, mushRTID, Prez and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Can we do it?
« Reply #30 on March 19, 2024, 03:14:33 pm by Alan Southstand »
Definately I would bring Craig back into midfield, at the expense of Broadbent, just for his better passing and vision. Other than that, maybe Ironside back on the bench, as Biamou hasn’t done anything wrong. Then it’s a real toss up between Biggins and Westbrook (assuming he’s over his illness).

The bench should be real strong one on Saturday.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dabbermoo

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 19, 2024, 04:49:42 pm by Dabbermoo »
With Biggins form over the last 4-6 games I'd leave him as a starter, get a few good goals in front against FGR then give Westbrooke a 30 min run out to ease him back in for the run in of a game Saturday then Tuesday rotation that will pretty much see out the rest of the season.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on March 19, 2024, 04:53:24 pm by drfchound »
With Biggins form over the last 4-6 games I'd leave him as a starter, get a few good goals in front against FGR then give Westbrooke a 30 min run out to ease him back in for the run in of a game Saturday then Tuesday rotation that will pretty much see out the rest of the season.

Yep, easy as that.
(Where is that emoji).

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 19, 2024, 05:28:02 pm by GazLaz »
I think there's some reality checks needed here.

If we make the playoffs, we'll have had to win something like 42 points from the last 17 games.

That's equivalent to 113 points over a full season.

It's better than even Penney's juggernaut of a team managed in the best spell of form I have ever seen from a Rovers side in Autumn 2003.

We have improved a lot, but we are a long way off being that good.

We have improved but not been to the level of a top 6 team. Yes we have had the points haul of a top team but the performances haven’t matched. We will start levelling out in the coming weeks.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 19, 2024, 06:15:54 pm by belton rover »

If we make the playoffs, we'll have had to win something like 42 points from the last 17 games.

It's better than even Penney's juggernaut of a team managed in the best spell of form I have ever seen from a Rovers side in Autumn 2003.

That might all be true, but reality checks are for data analysts, not football fans.
I just want to enjoy the ride until it throws me off.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 19, 2024, 06:51:22 pm by adamtherover »
What did the table look like after the boxing day fixtures compared to today?
14 PTS behind notts county I believe..

Dabbermoo

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 19, 2024, 07:19:26 pm by Dabbermoo »

Yep, easy as that.
(Where is that emoji).

Why can't it be that easy? FGR are where they are for a reason, Rovers are on a great run of form and confidence should be flowing, we are at home with hopefully a good crowd to back the boys on the pitch. Or should we be glass half empty and just write this season off as done and dusted.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 19, 2024, 07:24:34 pm by drfchound »

Yep, easy as that.
(Where is that emoji).

Why can't it be that easy? FGR are where they are for a reason, Rovers are on a great run of form and confidence should be flowing, we are at home with hopefully a good crowd to back the boys on the pitch. Or should we be glass half empty and just write this season off as done and dusted.

I’m not suggesting we should write off the season.
I was just commenting on the part of your post that mentioned getting a few good goals ahead  against FGR.
It is never as easy as that but if it does happen I will be delighted.
There are no easy games and it shouldn’t be overlooked that FGR are in a decent run of form themselves.

Ye-Aul-Tavern

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 19, 2024, 07:37:40 pm by Ye-Aul-Tavern »
No chance.

I might be a little more inclined to believe if there wasn't so many teams ahead of us. Even if we win all of the rest of our games, there are loads of teams around mid table who would only need (and will get) a few wins to stay ahead of us.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on March 19, 2024, 07:49:38 pm by Filo »
To answer my own Question, 15 points behind Notts County

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on March 19, 2024, 07:53:55 pm by Cramby10 »

is that the same juggernaut of a side that you said would easily get beat by Schofields hapless mob last season? You’re funny.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on March 19, 2024, 08:40:56 pm by ravenrover »
We write FGR off at our peril, I don't think they will come to the Eco to roll over. Sadly I'm in Devon for this one so good luck.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 19, 2024, 09:07:52 pm by GazLaz »
We write FGR off at our peril, I don't think they will come to the Eco to roll over. Sadly I'm in Devon for this one so good luck.

They are the type of low possession team we struggle against. I don’t think we will win.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on March 19, 2024, 10:00:44 pm by Colin C No.3 »
What I find galling is that despite losing only one of our last nine league games we’ve only moved up two places from 20th to 18th & after tonight’s result if we win on Saturday, which I am absolutely confident we will do, we will still remain in 18th spot!

However, I believe we can & will get at least a point at Crawley then after that we can really start to ‘eat into’ those places above.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on March 19, 2024, 10:06:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
What I find galling is that despite losing only one of our last nine league games we’ve only moved up two places from 20th to 18th & after tonight’s result if we win on Saturday, which I am absolutely confident we will do, we will still remain in 18th spot!

However, I believe we can & will get at least a point at Crawley then after that we can really start to ‘eat into’ those places above.

We'll sneak round the back while nobody's looking. Ssshhhh!

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on March 20, 2024, 08:15:17 am by drfcsteve »
If nothing else, it’s given us some excitement for the end of the season. I thought we’d end up having nothing to play for.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 20, 2024, 08:25:08 am by Chris Black come back »
Am I right in that Close, Taylor, Lawlor and Miller are all definitely out for rest of season? Question mark over Faulkner.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 20, 2024, 08:50:04 am by Campsall rover »
Am I right in that Close, Taylor, Lawlor and Miller are all definitely out for rest of season? Question mark over Faulkner.
Thought Taylor was almost ready for another comeback. GM said as much a couple of weeks ago.
The others are I think not going to be seen again this season.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 20, 2024, 10:33:15 am by pib »
Definitely right on Close, Lawlor, Miller. Miller is out until the middle of next season. Wouldn't be surprised if we've seen the last of Close in a Rovers shirt, and I don't think Lawlor will be first choice next season, even if fit.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on March 20, 2024, 01:55:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

is that the same juggernaut of a side that you said would easily get beat by Schofields hapless mob last season? You’re funny.

Context.

They were all conquering against the sides they played against.

They wouldn't touch the ball against a moderate Div 4 side of today. Football really does improve that much over 20 years.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on March 20, 2024, 02:19:06 pm by Cramby10 »

Context.

They wouldn't touch the ball against a moderate Div 4 side of today. Football really does improve that much over 20 years.
ye righto.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on March 20, 2024, 03:41:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »
As it stands now with 9 games to go I predict we'll finish 12th with 64 points.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 20, 2024, 04:00:21 pm by Barmby Rover »
With a win against Colchester in our game in hand we are 5 points from being in the top half, aim at that and with our terrible start it is quite an achievement.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on March 20, 2024, 04:29:48 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
250/1 bet 365 or 100/1 sky (if you have a free bet coming)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on March 20, 2024, 05:02:52 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Context.

I think we’ve trodden this path before?

I take it that you’re saying a Brian Stock, Richie Wellens, Matt Mills, Paul Heffernan, James Coppinger, James O’Connor, Neil Sullivan from the SOD era wouldn’t be considered by Grant McCaan as part of his squad today to get promoted out of this division next season?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on March 20, 2024, 05:15:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Colin C.

I'm sure it makes sense in your head why you are drawing that conclusion, but....nope, I haven't got a Scooby.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on March 20, 2024, 05:31:39 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Colin C.

I'm sure it makes sense in your head why you are drawing that conclusion, but....nope, I haven't got a Scooby.

Fair enough.

Misunderstood your comparison between Penney’s side that stormed this division & were promoted as Champions & how they ‘may or may not’ perform in this division ‘currently’.

That clearly is not what you were alluding to.

I must learn how to time my tackles better.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 20, 2024, 06:17:59 pm by normal rules »

The first half season gave rovers a mountain to climb points wise

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on March 20, 2024, 06:47:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Colin C.

Fair enough.

Misunderstood your comparison between Penney’s side that stormed this division & were promoted as Champions & how they ‘may or may not’ perform in this division ‘currently’.

That clearly is not what you were alluding to.

I must learn how to time my tackles better.

I was talking about a side in Tier 4 20 years ago.

You are talking about the better players from a side that held its own in the Championship 5-6 years later.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on March 20, 2024, 07:32:01 pm by danumdon »
Doesn't cost anything to dream big.

The fact that we now resemble a footballing side again is enough for me and the promise that this upturn brings to hit next season running.

GM still has it, we just need to capitalise on it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012