Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:52:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England  (Read 2699 times)

German Rover

• Forum Member
Re: England
« Reply #30 on March 22, 2024, 11:47:31 am by German Rover »
No one gave a shit when the Peter Saville designed shirt had green, blue and I think purple St Georges Crosses in it. no one gives a shit when club teams have st georges crosses in their club colours. 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 22, 2024, 11:48:46 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Usual libtards defending it.
They won't be happy unless the 3 lions are replaced with lennin, corbyn and George Floyd.

What the hell's a 'libtard'?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on March 22, 2024, 11:51:55 am by vaya »
They won't be happy unless the 3 lions are replaced with lennin, corbyn and George Floyd.

'Liberal retard' although this is from someone who's spelled Lenin with a double n.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 22, 2024, 11:53:00 am by vaya »
Or the flag of Islam!

Next thing they'll be cramming some reference to Palestine onto the shirt.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 22, 2024, 11:54:46 am by DRFC_AjA »
Should just go full on and have some Ukraine coloured stripes down the shorts and one of those Facebook logos "I'VE HAD MY COVID VACCINE" instead of the England badge.

:lol: exactly....and knee pads for putting the knee on grass, a Palestinian flag on the back, an LQWERTY Alice band and all made of vegan materials.....I support what new thing what everyone else supports so I fit in

Wouldn't it be marvellous if sport was just....sport

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 22, 2024, 11:56:16 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Changing the flag is a bit of a pointless thing to do, and probably a bit daft, but there's no doubt which team the shirt represents. I do think that some folks are getting a little too cross about something which, in the grand scheme of things, is pretty small fry isn't it?

On the 'Off Topic' thread, someone once told me to stop going on about GB news and if I don't like it then simply don't watch it, which was a fair shout I'd guess. So I'd recommend using the same philosophy in this instance; if you don't like it then don't buy it. Actually, if you are thinking of buying it then you must be crazy at them prices!!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 22, 2024, 12:00:46 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

'Liberal retard' although this is from someone who's spelled Lenin with a double n.

Thanks for clearing that up Vaya.

I must confess, a Liberal retard is a new one on me!! People in glass houses and all that...

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 22, 2024, 12:40:40 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Changing the flag is a bit of a pointless thing to do, and probably a bit daft, but there's no doubt which team the shirt represents. I do think that some folks are getting a little too cross about something which, in the grand scheme of things, is pretty small fry isn't it?

On the 'Off Topic' thread, someone once told me to stop going on about GB news and if I don't like it then simply don't watch it, which was a fair shout I'd guess. So I'd recommend using the same philosophy in this instance; if you don't like it then don't buy it. Actually, if you are thinking of buying it then you must be crazy at them prices!!

Your analogy works if this was some cheap knock off from sports direct - kinda like describing GB new there haha

But this isn't, this is the OFFICIAL national kit producer and FA themselves telling you this is what your flag looks like. And of crouse if you don't like it, it's your fault and you're the problem

The complaints arent just about "a bit of embrodiery', nazi or confederate flag are just bits of embroidery dude. People are just slowly getting sick to death of multinational millionaire companies using any opportunity possible to spread their work diversity BS and when you just thought they couldn't do any more they change the national flag and release utter dross about why. Yes the same companies that use sweat shops and won't fly their rainbow stuff in the UAE

They've attempted diversity and only achieved division. Yet if you don't like it you're the problem. Goodness that sentence is like the definition of the left  :lol:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 22, 2024, 01:30:41 pm by wilts rover »
Yes absolutely disgraceful that a multi-millionaire run organisation is allowed to change the colour of our flag for political point scoring.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on March 22, 2024, 01:52:12 pm by ncRover »
The accompanying message from Nike is the context here. It’s not part of the artistic expression of the kit either. I’m not getting riled up about it that’s just my thoughts we’re all allowed an opinion!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on March 22, 2024, 01:53:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just realised, if you take all the letters of the colours on the flag and mix them up, it nearly makes "Trans Islamic Caliphate."

If you change a few letters.

The absolute Kitsons.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on March 22, 2024, 01:55:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Your analogy works if this was some cheap knock off from sports direct - kinda like describing GB new there haha

But this isn't, this is the OFFICIAL national kit producer and FA themselves telling you this is what your flag looks like. And of crouse if you don't like it, it's your fault and you're the problem

The complaints arent just about "a bit of embrodiery', nazi or confederate flag are just bits of embroidery dude. People are just slowly getting sick to death of multinational millionaire companies using any opportunity possible to spread their work diversity BS and when you just thought they couldn't do any more they change the national flag and release utter dross about why. Yes the same companies that use sweat shops and won't fly their rainbow stuff in the UAE

They've attempted diversity and only achieved division. Yet if you don't like it you're the problem. Goodness that sentence is like the definition of the left  :lol:

Since when did blue, black and purple stand for "diversity"?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on March 22, 2024, 03:38:07 pm by ravenrover »
Or even the worst of all ...... doing it to la tricolore, there would be riots on the streets of Paris, sports shops selling it would be burnt down, farmers blocking the route to the stadium Le Roi beheaded.... oh they've done that already etc etc

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on March 22, 2024, 04:13:50 pm by IDM »
I can hear the chant now..

“Ni-i-ike, Ni-i-ike, you’re not fit to make the shirt!”

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 22, 2024, 04:36:06 pm by River Don »
There are a few points to make on this.

First the England kit doesn't traditionally feature the St George Cross at all.

Second The England home kit doesn't traditionally feature the colour red at all. This is because when we played the first ever international against Scotland they chose to wear blue and white whilst Ebgland chose white and blue.

This was mainly because sports kit in the mid 1800s was only really available in white or blue. Though apparently some England players wore White and Black!

Anyway White and Blue it was and that stuck as the tradition.

Thirdly up until then1980s most English football fans though the Union flag was the English flag! Look at the footage of 1966, everyone is waving the union flag not the George Cross!

My personal favourite England shirt is the 1982 iteration... Which actually features an abstract graphic print of the union flag on the shoulder's.

So I tend to think we're getting our knickers in a twist about nothing here. As for the idea the Nike stylised cross is a rainbow flag? Well it clearly isn't.

To be honest I'm more annoyed the England away kit is grey, which every Man Utd fan knows is difficult to see on a football pitch.

Also, I can't imagine Germany playing in a Nike football kit but apparently that's going to be a thing... Germany should always wear Adidas or at a push Puma.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on March 22, 2024, 04:43:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The twisted knickers is messing about with the flag and choosing to use the England Football kit to display it.

The kit is otherwise a very good one. Yes, I understand the whole tradition, although I'm from the generation who would perhaps prefer the red shirts as no 1, particularly post 66, but that's another debate.

So the issue remains, if we are to display our national flag on the kit, don't abuse it.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 22, 2024, 04:48:51 pm by River Don »
The twisted knickers is messing about with the flag and choosing to use the England Football kit to display it.

The kit is otherwise a very good one. Yes, I understand the whole tradition, although I'm from the generation who would perhaps prefer the red shirts as no 1, particularly post 66, but that's another debate.

So the issue remains, if we are to display our national flag on the kit, don't abuse it.

If we are going to be really pedantic the St George Cross isn't really the flag of England either.

It's the flag of the ancient state of Genoa, the English hired the flag as a flag of convenience, Genoa being the biggest power in the Med at the time... We forgot to stop using it.

Not long ago the mayor of Genova wrote a nice letter to the Queen asking for it back.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 22, 2024, 04:51:52 pm by River Don »
No one gave a shit when the Peter Saville designed shirt had green, blue and I think purple St Georges Crosses in it. no one gives a shit when club teams have st georges crosses in their club colours. 

I seem to remember Peter openly said, he chose multicoloured crosses to make the shirt more inclusive...

Not a peep from anyone decrying this overtly woke stylistic choice back then that I can recall.

Edit: yep, thought he did.

https://www.dezeen.com/2010/09/02/england-home-kit-by-peter-saville-for-umbro/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 05:35:36 pm by River Don »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on March 22, 2024, 04:53:51 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The mayor of Genoa won't be happy either then!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on March 22, 2024, 05:46:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Yes absolutely disgraceful that a multi-millionaire run organisation is allowed to change the colour of our flag for political point scoring.

I see Farage is wading in about how nobody should f**k about with the colours of our flag.

Ahem

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1771211078753505418

All a bit silly really, int it?

Snowflakes seeing Woke Threats everywhere they look.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 05:52:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on March 22, 2024, 06:05:38 pm by scawsby steve »
That's Stewart Lee's next tour all worked out now.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 22, 2024, 06:34:03 pm by vaya »

I seem to remember Peter openly said, he chose multicoloured crosses to make the shirt more inclusive...

Not a peep from anyone decrying this overtly woke stylistic choice back then that I can recall.

Edit: yep, thought he did.

https://www.dezeen.com/2010/09/02/england-home-kit-by-peter-saville-for-umbro/

On the flip side, it would be nice to see the current level of outrage aimed instead at the dogs abuse repeatedly lobbed at actual England players.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 22, 2024, 06:55:38 pm by DonnyOsmond »
This flag shit is so dramatic. Numerous examples online of when we've had different shades of flags, I guess we've just become more intolerant as a nation, a nation of Karen's.

The price is an outrage though.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on March 22, 2024, 07:08:04 pm by River Don »
Even the outrage at the price is a bit overblown.

The media keep quoting £125 but that is for the players version.

The regular replica top is about £80. Still too much but it's less of a contentious price.

Goldthorperover

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on March 22, 2024, 07:47:05 pm by Goldthorperover »

The regular replica top is about £80. Still too much but it's less of a contentious price.

£80 for a football shirt is an effing ridiculous price whichever way you look at it. Football for the fans eh?

Edit: also why is the 'players' version over a third more expensive than the 'stadium' version? Are there extra fine fabrics which help a players performance in the more expensive one? Is the less expensive one actually a crop top and is that why its a third cheaper?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 07:53:43 pm by Goldthorperover »

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on March 22, 2024, 07:47:35 pm by redwine »
Flagshaggers, going all gammon.

Once again, the dead cat theory in action.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on March 22, 2024, 08:08:07 pm by River Don »

£80 for a football shirt is an effing ridiculous price whichever way you look at it. Football for the fans eh?

Edit: also why is the 'players' version over a third more expensive than the 'stadium' version? Are there extra fine fabrics which help a players performance in the more expensive one? Is the less expensive one actually a crop top and is that why its a third cheaper?

I believe the players version does use different high performance fabrics. Probably not worth the extra money but there it is.

There is a good chance the stadium version will actually be a more robust version. The players one will be extra lightweight.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 22, 2024, 09:06:49 pm by Branton Red »
This is just a hilarious story.

I don't buy the idea that this is a conspiracy to raise PR and sell more shirts.

I put this down purely to stupidity and incompetence.

a) Not realising that a flag is defined by it's colours and changing the colours means it's no longer the flag in question
b) Not realising the bleeding obviousness of the potential backlash to the above.

Then we have the huge media storm; the pathetic excuses from the FA and Nike; politicians rowing in to nail their populist colours to the mast; former footballers weighing in; the angry vox pops.

Like I say hilarious. And great entertainment.

I think on relatively minor matters it's best just see the funny side of people's stupidity and incompetence and what results from it.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on March 22, 2024, 09:15:07 pm by Spud »
It will probably have a few vented panels & maybe a tad more detail, like RD says the stadium version might be a bit more robust & accommodate a beer belly better lol.

Goldthorperover

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on March 22, 2024, 09:15:19 pm by Goldthorperover »

I believe the players version does use different high performance fabrics. Probably not worth the extra money but there it is.

There is a good chance the stadium version will actually be a more robust version. The players one will be extra lightweight.

Well if this high performance fabric is so good it boosts performances by 33% then I must find where its made and get some boxer shorts done.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012