Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:04:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Accrington Stanley game  (Read 3826 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Accrington Stanley game
« on April 10, 2024, 12:23:08 am by selby »
  Can we keep the roller coaster going and win this game and put more pressure on teams above us. Even I am starting to get carried away flabbergasted at the change in fortune we have undergone since the turn of the new year.
  Its well deserved as well, the three loan players bringing the best out of the rest, playing some good football and conjuring up some class goals that we could only dream of the last couple of seasons.
  So it is on to a game that sees one of our stars of the past, a certain Mr John Doolan bring his team over from the dark side of the Pennines no doubt determined to stop our run of victories dead.
  An away bore draw at home to Crewe and a good away win at Newport tonight points to him getting his ideas over and they are starting to pick up after a sticky period after the change of managers after the surprising parting of the ways of long serving John Coleman, the away win at Newport their first in five games.
  Accrington are a team we have struggled to overcome quite a few times yet some of our supporters tend to think we should be beating them, and I suppose a lot of teams would think the same way, but they often overturn the odds, have lately been a division 1 side, and over the years have proved they can compete even with limited resources at our level, getting some very good players from  non league and cast offs from other clubs, and always seem to have that forward that gets goals regularly.
   Not an easy game and now expectation and pressure building on us, something new to most of our players, We can help being loud and proud.  As for the team if it's not broken why fix it comes to mind, those with the shirts are doing the business and are in form as the results suggest, so injury allowing more of the same for me, although not at our very best v Walsall they got the job done.
  Accrington's away record is won 6 drawn 5 lost 10 so not the worst in the division but far from the best, we need to be on it again to come out on top.
  Against Walsall I thought Ironside was very good winning headers and holding the ball up as well as getting a deserved goal, but as a unit we were just off the mark a bit compared with games lately, but a good habit to have is winning games when not quite at the top of your game.
  So what do you think? apart from a good reception for a good old player in a new managers job that's as far as gifts I am prepared to go.
  It's now a must we go for a win, can we do it?
  Would you make any changes?
  Are you starting to get excited?
  Seriously did anyone see this change in form?
 Lot's to discuss, now lot's to aim for that just wasn't there a short while ago, are you surprised at the pace of our turn around?   please have your say

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Accrington Stanley game
« Reply #1 on April 10, 2024, 12:28:35 am by dickos1 »
It’s not the same John Doolan mate

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 10, 2024, 12:44:20 am by selby »
  My apologies your right, and I am wrong again, when someone told me I said I was surprised he had come down to division 2 as the last I had heard THE John Doolan  had a top job on the scouting staff at Everton, so I am not even going to give the imposter a good reception Boo.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 10, 2024, 06:10:40 am by Chris Black come back »
Odd side. Really not very good away from home and not on a good run of form at all. Their last 10 they have only won twice, but both of these were away at half decent sides in Newport and Swindon. Importantly they are leaky away from home. In their 20 away league games this season they have kept a clean sheet only twice, both times against terrible sides in Forest Green and Grimsby.   

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 10, 2024, 07:18:27 am by Filo »
Looks like I’ll have to find a stream for this one, flying out to Spain on Friday morning!

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 10, 2024, 07:29:52 am by normal rules »
Everyone do their bit to drag extra supporters out of the woodwork for Saturday. I’m
Thinking champions lge and midweek game put many off last night .as well as the weather perhaps. Weather looks  good for the weekend . The dream is still on .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 10, 2024, 07:35:15 am by Alan Southstand »
Didn’t Crewe win last night?

Apologies, I’ve seen what you meant now!

Doh!  :blush:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 07:39:00 am by Alan Southstand »

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 10, 2024, 07:39:46 am by EasyforDennis »
Looks like I’ll have to find a stream for this one, flying out to Spain on Friday morning!

Haven't you got a firestick?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 10, 2024, 07:54:00 am by Filo »

I have, when I tried to use it in November, I couldn’t get it to work on the Spanish TV, but I’m going to change the settings to English this time

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 10, 2024, 08:20:51 am by Campsall rover »
Odd side. Really not very good away from home and not on a good run of form at all. Their last 10 they have only won twice, but both of these were away at half decent sides in Newport and Swindon. Importantly they are leaky away from home. In their 20 away league games this season they have kept a clean sheet only twice, both times against terrible sides in Forest Green and Grimsby.
Not on a good run over a period of time but drawn & won last 2 games so have stopped the rot.
That’s what Selby was saying I assume.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 10, 2024, 08:25:59 am by NickDRFC »

I have, when I tried to use it in November, I couldn’t get it to work on the Spanish TV, but I’m going to change the settings to English this time

Alternatively you could ensure the club gets some revenue and get it on ifollow.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 10, 2024, 08:32:53 am by Filo »

Alternatively you could ensure the club gets some revenue and get it on ifollow.

Tried that abroad before won’t let me for some reason

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 10, 2024, 08:51:06 am by Campsall rover »
As near as same team again. Hope Biggins starts in this one.
Tommy was not great last night. He just doesn’t have the legs anymore to get about the pitch I am afraid.

We missed Biggins. His energy and ability to get on the end of Joe Ironsides or Max Biamou’s headers and hold up play and passes has been a vital part of our play over the last 2 months.

Just same again. Keep the ball moving. Pass and move, get bodies into the box, get crosses in early, get lots of shots on goal. Defend with the same vigour we have been doing over almost all the last 14 games.
( bar Walsall away )

Walsall did a bit of a job on us 1st half last night and gave Craig, Bailey & Rowe no room to play.
Getting that 1st goal was crucial because it opened up the game a little more and we were able to keep the ball more and get some control.

Accrington are usually a physical side or were under Coleman so I expect them to make it as difficult as the can for us.
1st goal is so important.
We haven’t gone behind for a long time have we. How do we react if we do?
If we are going to get to and win the play offs then the ability to come back from a losing position may be an essential quality that’s needed.

This team has so much belief at present I don’t have too much fear we can rise to the challenges that may be ahead over the next 4 league games and just possibly the 3 play off games.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 08:54:48 am by Campsall rover »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 10, 2024, 09:02:31 am by normal rules »

You need to get a vpn. Like NORDvpn. You can then choose your country of origin which bypasses the international boundaries set by ifollow

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 10, 2024, 09:11:24 am by roversdude »
I tried for the Morecambe game whilst in Netherlands only offered audio

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 10, 2024, 12:25:10 pm by RoversInSpain »
Should be able to buy an IFollow match pass and watch as you’re in Spain.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 10, 2024, 12:33:35 pm by Mike_F »

Worked for me in Turkey, I streamed the first match of the season vs Harrogate to the big screen in a bar in Icmeler. Shame it was a poor performance!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 10, 2024, 12:33:56 pm by Filo »

You need to get a vpn. Like NORDvpn. You can then choose your country of origin which bypasses the international boundaries set by ifollow

I have surfshark, being in Spain I would have thought a VPN, wouldn’t be required

KeithMyath

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 10, 2024, 02:09:54 pm by KeithMyath »
Surfshark has never failed for me watching Ifollow while I work abroad. Always gives option for video.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 11, 2024, 12:02:50 am by PDX_Rover »
Back to the game. We have to stay focused and disciplined and not think beyond what’s in front of us. And the team should do the same.

idler2

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 11, 2024, 09:31:33 am by idler2 »
Back to the game. We have to stay focused and disciplined and not think beyond what’s in front of us. And the team should do the same.
It always seems to be a tough game against them.
They had a good result on Tuesday at Newport and a long drive home. Possibly to save money they even travelled down there on the Tuesday as well. Hopefully being away on Saturday means another early ish start and coach journey. It might take the edge off them. It would be great to keep our run going and see if any close rivals slip up to open the door a little wider.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 11, 2024, 10:05:51 am by Campsall rover »
It always seems to be a tough game against them.
They had a good result on Tuesday at Newport and a long drive home. Possibly to save money they even travelled down there on the Tuesday as well. Hopefully being away on Saturday means another early ish start and coach journey. It might take the edge off them. It would be great to keep our run going and see if any close rivals slip up to open the door a little wider.
They are just playing for pride now and to try and finish in the top half.
That can be dangerous as they are under little pressure.
I don’t always subscribe to the theory mid table teams late in the season are easier games.

There is no such thing as an easy game unless it turns out to be easy after you have played it & won very comfortably.

That said i think we will be massively up for the game and the momentum and confidence will see us get the result we need.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 11, 2024, 10:07:09 am by rich1471 »

my son uses his fire stick in sweden

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 11, 2024, 12:45:15 pm by ncRover »
Yes they beat Newport, but that was Newport’s sixth defeat in a row. Doesn’t mean much I don’t think. Stanley are still bottom of the 10 game form table.

On top of them having nothing to play for, almost their entire squad is out of contract in the summer.

I think we’ll win 4-0 (25/1 on skybet).

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 11, 2024, 01:01:07 pm by dknward2 »
Being out of contract can be a good or bad thing.

Good they try and avoid injury so will hang back in tackle and headers maybe avoid all out running so don't pull a muscle or hamstring

Bad going all out to prove they are worth a new contract either at the same club or a new club

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 12, 2024, 11:01:15 am by Chris Black come back »
Ross Joyce has been appointed referee for Rovers’ clash with Accrington Stanley on April 13.

The Cleveland official has taken charge of 32 matches this term, with the majority coming in Sky Bet League One. He has issued 136 yellow cards and nine red across those games.

This will be his second outing of the season refereeing a Rovers game, having taken charge of the 2-0 win over Everton U21 in the Bristol Street Motors Trophy in September.

McCammon egg n chips

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 12, 2024, 12:16:24 pm by McCammon egg n chips »
For me this has the potential of a banana skin. The 'easy game' in our current run against teams going for promotion or scrapping for survival and Accrington Stanley near the bottom of the form table.

We need to stay professional and not get ahead of ourselves. Play the football we know we can play and we should be fine.

A slight concern for me is that we've been playing a lot of Sat/Tues/Sat gameweeks recently and I thought it showed on Tuesday. We looked a bit laggy. Are there signs we're just beginning to run out of energy? Hope not and we can notch up another win.

Looking ahead midweek we don't play, but it's Barrow v Crawley...

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 12, 2024, 03:07:24 pm by Avsuptem »
I think it was the Walsall aggressive style of play that made us look a bit tired on Tuesday night, not that our players were knackered.

McCammon egg n chips

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 12, 2024, 03:16:30 pm by McCammon egg n chips »
They were all absolutely massive tbf

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 12, 2024, 03:26:23 pm by selby »
  We just need to go for it and win, play well and we have every chance of another three points.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012