Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 10:54:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The cost of failure.  (Read 2998 times)

Fal

• Forum Member
Re: The cost of failure.
« Reply #30 on May 11, 2024, 12:24:07 pm by Fal »
Home games.

Rotherham.
Barnsley
Lincoln
Huddersfield
Birmingham.
Mansfield.
Wrexham.
Stockport
Wigan
Possibly Bolton.

Vs.

Accrington
Bartow
Harrogate
Morecombe
Newport
Salford
Bromley.

Christ Almighty, lg2 is atrocious. In league one there's loads of 10k plus home games.
Now it's back to 6k. The financial implications must be huge.

For us fans, the away games are dull as f**k.

Maybe the reason we don't fill the stadium as much as we should because we think we're better than those teams you list.  Do we want more of what we've just experienced? Give yourselves a teamtalk!

Eh, I'd rather be up there locking horns with Rotherham with 12 to 13k there than playing Barrow.
Even GM said this club shouldn't be in lg2. Yes, we have no divine right in bring in a higher league but looking at the stature of our club, the infrastructure and potential, it has to be at least lg1.

We have to earn the right to get promoted I don't get excited about who we play as such, I get excited about supporting Doncaster Rovers.

You must be able to see the irony of the Lucky Pint threads titled 'TLOD'

Did folk turn out in their droves to watch Barrow or Crewe, or to watch Donny?

So you don't get a buzz from the big local derbies?
You know Barrow at home is not the same as Rotherham at home, nowhere near.

Some would argue that the most recent home games against Barrie and Rotherham that Barrow was more entertaining :)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 12, 2024, 11:24:13 pm by RedRover »
Fleetwood is the proper kicker. Worse away day in the 92? Must be close.

Their ground, lack of support, what specifically as it's one I fancy doing next season, if it falls on a Saturday. Plan to have a night in Blackpool.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 12, 2024, 11:44:26 pm by drfchound »
Give your heads a wobble.

12 weeks ago it was highly likely that we could be up against Solihull Moors, Braintree, Eastleigh, Wealdstone, afc fylde.

At least we still have some local games against Chesterfield, Grimsby and Bradford

And Notts County.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 13, 2024, 12:02:08 am by johnny rovers »
Fleetwood is the proper kicker. Worse away day in the 92? Must be close.

Their ground, lack of support, what specifically as it's one I fancy doing next season, if it falls on a Saturday. Plan to have a night in Blackpool.

They've got the best supporters bar I've seen in the lower divisions. It puts the Belle Vue to Shame!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 13, 2024, 08:07:44 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
We are where we are and can't blame anyone else.  Our task as a club this summer is keep building, invest in the squad, win the league and be even stronger going up.

I have wondered if we needed a bit more time to be league 1 ready so it's not the end of the world.  We may be better off having that time to get a stronger squad in place to challenge league 1 better.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 13, 2024, 08:58:21 am by IDM »
Who failed?

Yes we didn't make it through the play off semis.  At the end of January we had 29 points from 29 games and sat in 22nd place.

So losing in the play offs is a failure?  Jesus wept.!!!!!

As for the 4th division being crap, it isn't.  It's just the 4th division and all clubs are here on merit.  OK local derbies and bigger crowds are great, but why can't games against the other sides be entertaining??

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 13, 2024, 09:18:54 am by johnny rovers »
Who failed?

Yes we didn't make it through the play off semis.  At the end of January we had 29 points from 29 games and sat in 22nd place.

As for the 4th division being crap, it isn't.  It's just the 4th division and all clubs are here on merit.  OK local derbies and bigger crowds are great, but why can't games against the other sides be entertaining??

I've been impressed with the quality of football by a good number of clubs in this division. Clearly there have been some very strong sides and they have reeped their rewards and gone up. Well done to them. Comments like, this league is s**t is justification to many to not go regularly and try to put themselves on some sort of moral pedestal.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 13, 2024, 09:24:00 am by Nudga »
Who failed?

Calm down chief. GM said himself that they failed, regardless of where we came from the summer target was promotion, again GM own words so yes, it's a failure.

Also, a lot of people losing context here. Trying to imply a lack of respect to certain clubs when what I I am saying, I thought quite obviously was the financial cost.
6 to 7k crowds vs Harrogate etc against crowds of 11 to 13k against Rotherham, Barnsley.
Not that difficult to see surely?

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 13, 2024, 09:37:11 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Who failed?

I've been impressed with the quality of football by a good number of clubs in this division. Clearly there have been some very strong sides and they have reeped their rewards and gone up. Well done to them. Comments like, this league is s**t is justification to many to not go regularly and try to put themselves on some sort of moral pedestal.

Comparing the quality of the league 1 play offs to league 2 it's been light years apart.  The step up is getting bigger and I'm not so sure we were ready for it this year.  We showed on Friday some of those weaknesses remain (as they did against Barrow).  League 1 that would be exploited more and more.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 13, 2024, 09:41:27 am by IDM »
Following that then Nudga, you could argue instead that we had already “failed” by January, and the rest of the season was a great consolidation?

I agree about the finances, but even without those derbies we are reasonably well attended in this division compared to most?  Who’s going to have higher attendances next season?  Bradford I expect and chesterfield will start on a high, but we will be up there compared to the others.

I do understand your points but even if it’s what McCann said in august, I still don’t see it as a failure.  Of course I would expect him to say promotion was the target, but for me the expectation is to compete for promotion, which we did - eventually!

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 13, 2024, 09:44:18 am by Michael Shaw »
No we shouldn't be down in league two, but we are where we deserve to be and so does every other club. But until the club and fans want us fighting hard to win all our games it's where we will stay. Most of us had high hopes for last season, but the end result is we are still here. Hope continues that we will do better next season.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 13, 2024, 09:47:04 am by Nudga »
IDM, don't mistake my post as a criticism of GM and the players. It's more of a pragmatic view of it.

I have had so much fun this season, apart from Notts away.
I'm already looking forward to the fixtures coming out.

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 13, 2024, 09:49:13 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
No we shouldn't be down in league two, but we are where we deserve to be and so does every other club. But until the club and fans want us fighting hard to win all our games it's where we will stay. Most of us had high hopes for last season, but the end result is we are still here. Hope continues that we will do better next season.

On the flip side, we've had a transitional season, which I think the majority expected and we've shown massive improvement throughout the season.  Ultimately we've lost out on one performance where it largely just didn't fall for us.  We didn't have that bit of luck and we ran out of steam a little bit on Friday.

There's no negative for me now after the weekend to get the negative out, we lost one game out of 13 and ultimately that's a shame. Next year we must be top 3 targets and I'm now full on excited for a good summer window and hopefully some really strong signings so we can boss league 2 next year.

Even more so if big players do end up moving on that is fine, they'll have earnt it and we go after other big players.  What is vital is the right investment in the right players this summer and I'd love a big marquee signing, feels like we've more chance of that than ever this summer.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on May 13, 2024, 12:44:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
IDM, don't mistake my post as a criticism of GM and the players. It's more of a pragmatic view of it.

I have had so much fun this season, apart from Notts away.
I'm already looking forward to the fixtures coming out.

This is what I'm saying after you were saying what an atrocious League, league 2 will be next season, we can get just as much fun, providing we're playing good, winning football in any division. We're not going to sell tickets if we say to our friends and family, it's going to be crap.

We'll save more local derbies for another day.  'Failure' to reach League One isn't going to cost us anything, we will be better financially starting League Two next season than we were last season. Hopefully, those additional funds will come when we achieve automatic promotion .

Ryan B

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 13, 2024, 04:26:15 pm by Ryan B »
Home games.

Rotherham.
Barnsley
Lincoln
Huddersfield
Birmingham.
Mansfield.
Wrexham.
Stockport
Wigan
Possibly Bolton.

Vs.

Accrington
Bartow
Harrogate
Morecombe
Newport
Salford
Bromley.

Christ Almighty, lg2 is atrocious. In league one there's loads of 10k plus home games.
Now it's back to 6k. The financial implications must be huge.

For us fans, the away games are dull as f**k.

Maybe the reason we don't fill the stadium as much as we should because we think we're better than those teams you list.  Do we want more of what we've just experienced? Give yourselves a teamtalk!

Eh, I'd rather be up there locking horns with Rotherham with 12 to 13k there than playing Barrow.
Even GM said this club shouldn't be in lg2. Yes, we have no divine right in bring in a higher league but looking at the stature of our club, the infrastructure and potential, it has to be at least lg1.

We have to earn the right to get promoted I don't get excited about who we play as such, I get excited about supporting Doncaster Rovers.

You must be able to see the irony of the Lucky Pint threads titled 'TLOD'

Did folk turn out in their droves to watch Barrow or Crewe, or to watch Donny?

So you don't get a buzz from the big local derbies?
You know Barrow at home is not the same as Rotherham at home, nowhere near.

Barrow at home, this year, was one of my most enjoyable games of football that I've ever seen. And that includes beating Leicester, Forest, Villa, Leeds etc.

Might seem far-fetched, but the emotion in that game for me and my lad was colossal. The atmosphere was fantastic!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 13, 2024, 07:09:45 pm by selby »
  Next season is going to be completely different from what we have been used to. the kick off times days we play are going to be dictated by the sponsors of the league for TV and broadcasting.
  Travelling to away games could become quite a different experience with the variation of kick off times dictated by others and most games being available to watch.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm by Chris Black come back »
  Next season is going to be completely different from what we have been used to. the kick off times days we play are going to be dictated by the sponsors of the league for TV and broadcasting.
  Travelling to away games could become quite a different experience with the variation of kick off times dictated by others and most games being available to watch.

This does feel like a looming disaster. Few people understand what is about to happen and the hassle it will cause.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 13, 2024, 09:33:02 pm by drfchound »
I just posted on another thread, I really hope that our games don’t get switched to Sundays.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 13, 2024, 09:41:47 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Not sure if I've understood this fully, but isn't each club guaranteed 16 home matches at 3pm Saturdays? Now usually, we have 3 or 4 midweek home games so will the changes be that dramatic?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 13, 2024, 09:51:56 pm by IDM »
Read this:

https://efl.com/how-to-watch/sky-sports-q-and-a

19 (out of 24) games across L1 and L2 combined will not be moved from 3pm on Saturday on regular weekends.  Games outside this time slot which are selected for broadcast (et Tuesday evening) needn’t be moved anyway.

I expect some disruption to the full schedule, but not as much as some folks think?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012