Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:43:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wing Kings  (Read 3246 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Wing Kings
« on May 15, 2024, 02:02:32 pm by GazLaz »
xG and xA output from our wide men per 90min…

Molyneux 4038 minutes-

xG- 0.15
xA- 0.18

Total- 0.33

Adelakun 1829 minutes-

xG- 0.18
xA- 0.13

Total- 0.31

Hurst 707 minutes-

xG- 0.25
xA- 0.23

Total- 0.48

Interesting.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
Re: Wing Kings
« Reply #1 on May 15, 2024, 02:10:58 pm by craigdrfc »
I fancy Hurst may be a big player for us next season. He impressed me when given cameo roles this season under McCann.

Personally I dont see both of (or either of) Moly and Haks signing back up.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 15, 2024, 02:14:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Hurst was brilliant at the end of the season, but I do wonder if those figures have a lot to with game state though, bringing him on to run at tiring defenders was a great option.

I do think we need one starter to be an Adelakun type in that they'll look to stretch the oppositions defence and get onto balls over the top.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 15, 2024, 02:19:20 pm by Lifelong supporter »

What does xG and xA mean please?

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 15, 2024, 02:19:47 pm by Northants Nomad »
If only football was played on Excel, eh?

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 15, 2024, 02:23:55 pm by philsky »

What does xG and xA mean please?

Same question from me please

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 15, 2024, 02:28:58 pm by mushRTID »
Hurst has barely started and only comes on when the game is opening up.

This cant be that surprising is it?

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 15, 2024, 02:30:20 pm by CJK »
Expected goals and expected assists.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 15, 2024, 02:43:53 pm by GazLaz »

It is surprising. He’s got to be good to get to anything like those numbers.

Football is played on grass but everything that happens on that pitch can be quantified.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 15, 2024, 02:46:21 pm by Padge_DRFC »
So Adelakun has completely outperformed then. Based on XG v actual goals.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 15, 2024, 02:49:26 pm by pib »
We saw last season (in a shit side) that Hurst is a cracking player. Struggled to get going this season due to injuries, and by the time he did get fully fit, Haks came in. I think he can play a big part, especially if we don't get LM and/or HA signed up. I'd have him down as a starter for next season.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 15, 2024, 02:55:29 pm by Mike_F »

Football is played on grass but everything that happens on that pitch can be quantified.

He does need to be good to get those numbers but they'd be even better if they achieved over a bigger sample time, the majority of which was against players with fresh legs. When a full-back has been run ragged for 70 mins by Moly and/or Haks it'll be easier for Hurst to deliver promising attacking plays.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 15, 2024, 03:01:49 pm by GazLaz »

He does need to be good to get those numbers but they'd be even better if they achieved over a bigger sample time, the majority of which was against players with fresh legs. When a full-back has been run ragged for 70 mins by Moly and/or Haks it'll be easier for Hurst to deliver promising attacking plays.

Adjust them down by 20% and they are still good. Small sample obviously, which you can adjust for again, but they would still be really good.   

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 15, 2024, 03:15:44 pm by ravenrover »

Molyneux 4038 minutes-

xG- 0.15
xA- 0.18

Total- 0.33

Adelakun 1829 minutes-

xG- 0.18
xA- 0.13

Total- 0.31

Hurst 707 minutes-

xG- 0.25
xA- 0.23

Total- 0.48

Interesting.
For the older members what does this all mean?

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 15, 2024, 03:30:22 pm by Mike_F »

Adjust them down by 20% and they are still good. Small sample obviously, which you can adjust for again, but they would still be really good.   

That's good to know. I really rate Hurst; he has bags of potential and I was a bit concerned when rumour had it that McCann wasn't a fan of his earlier in the season.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 15, 2024, 03:51:06 pm by GazLaz »

That's good to know. I really rate Hurst; he has bags of potential and I was a bit concerned when rumour had it that McCann wasn't a fan of his earlier in the season.

These positive attacking outputs don’t take into account his off the ball stuff do they. Thats what he needs to work on.

Not impossible he could play the Haks, void of any real defensive responsibility role, if we get a good grafting winger on the other side.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 15, 2024, 04:13:01 pm by IDM »
Expected goals and expected assists.

Calculated how.??

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 15, 2024, 04:19:13 pm by KingKendrick »

Molyneux 4038 minutes-

xG- 0.15
xA- 0.18

Total- 0.33

Adelakun 1829 minutes-

xG- 0.18
xA- 0.13

Total- 0.31

Hurst 707 minutes-

xG- 0.25
xA- 0.23

Total- 0.48

Interesting.

Depends on the source I guess. Below shows Haks XG at 0.45 and his Actual goals at 0.48 per 90 putting him the 96th percentile in the division this season. Quite a contrast to those you’ve posted?

https://footystats.org/players/england/hakeem-adelakun

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 15, 2024, 04:54:44 pm by ncRover »

These positive attacking outputs don’t take into account his off the ball stuff do they. Thats what he needs to work on.

Not impossible he could play the Haks, void of any real defensive responsibility role, if we get a good grafting winger on the other side.

Hard to find someone of Moly’s profile. Which is why I think it’s likely he doesn’t stay.

Jack Nolan left footed and plays on the right for Accrington but not a grafter going by his stats.

Mahoney currently on loan at Gillingham expiring at Huddersfield had a good season but might be L1 standard.

Humphrys as mentioned above also looks L1 standard.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 15, 2024, 05:05:09 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

His weakness though there for me is his physical prescence a bit, he's a little too lightweight still for me and that's his weakness vs Hakeeb.

I do think being an impact sub helps these stats but there remains no doubt Hurst can be an outstanding player if he can get a run of games and a bit stronger.  Fans love to watch him.

I think finding a winger who works at Molyneux's level is very tough.  Molyneux can be questionable in terms of product at times but his workrate is excellent.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 15, 2024, 05:12:52 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Hard to find someone of Moly’s profile. Which is why I think it’s likely he doesn’t stay.

Jack Nolan left footed and plays on the right for Accrington but not a grafter going by his stats.

Mahoney currently on loan at Gillingham expiring at Huddersfield had a good season but might be L1 standard.

Humphrys as mentioned above also looks L1 standard.

Kyle McAllister.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 15, 2024, 05:24:01 pm by steve@dcfd »
Did it show our expected run over 19 games or Crawley hammering MKdons over two legs.  Good but does not show every thing about a player.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 15, 2024, 07:14:22 pm by DRFCSouth »
Hurst could be a great asset. His ability to turn his marker, and get a yard to get a cross in is priceless. If he could add a bit of physicality, he could be a real force.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 15, 2024, 07:16:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
As I see it, Hurst was more often than not, sent on to have an impact in the latter stages of games. Doing that over 90 mins is a different challenge so, the XG doesn't reflect like for like figures.

Definitely want to see Hurst progress as he does have talent.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 15, 2024, 07:30:32 pm by Canadian Rover »

Molyneux 4038 minutes-

xG- 0.15
xA- 0.18

Total- 0.33

Adelakun 1829 minutes-

xG- 0.18
xA- 0.13

Total- 0.31

Hurst 707 minutes-

xG- 0.25
xA- 0.23

Total- 0.48

Interesting.

I wonder what these stats would be from January onwards.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 15, 2024, 07:47:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Point is, he won't score at that rate again. He had an exceptional spell where everything he tried came off. Usually it won't work like that.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 15, 2024, 08:15:11 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Even if we sign Haks and Moly stays we need to get Hurst init the team with them. An unlikely problem up he needs to be starting regularly now.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 15, 2024, 10:49:07 pm by GazLaz »

Point is, he won't score at that rate again. He had an exceptional spell where everything he tried came off. Usually it won't work like that.

That’s why I wouldn’t be in tears if he doesn’t sign. There has to be plenty of bad to even out the phenomenal that we have seen. There is a possibility the last 5 years have been the down and we will be a few years of the upside but that’s unlikely.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 15, 2024, 10:59:22 pm by dickos1 »
It can’t just be as simple as that,
As a player you have managers you like playing for who can get the best out of you and you have managers who struggle to get the best out of you. McCann can obviously get the best out of these types of players, Wilks, molyneux, haks, Kane, all played their best football under McCann.
No reason hams won’t continue to thrive under him

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 16, 2024, 08:11:21 am by drfcsteve »
I’d argue that we’ve seen both sides of Haks even in his short spell with us. Loads of phenomenal performances, but fairly anonymous last couple of games. If he does sign we can’t expect him to be outstanding for a full season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012