Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:45:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: General Election  (Read 22462 times)

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
Re: General Election
« Reply #60 on May 22, 2024, 09:50:51 pm by Iberian Red »
And for those expecting a change in the polling over the 6 week period, we dont really normally see that.  You'd be hard pushed to bet against a labour majority of some size.

Unless Starmer gets caught on video skinning alive a baby, Labour are stuck on for a 200 seat majority over the Tories.

Kier Starmer is obviously a charlatan and womaniser.
There couldn't be any other reason for the vitriol he gets on here unless certain posters have got home to find their Mrs on all fours calling him daddy.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on May 22, 2024, 09:52:16 pm by normal rules »
Sunak has seen a future where Donald” I don’t give a feck about nato” trump is back in power. We are back in 1937 except the main players now have nuclear weapons.
Starmer will need to find himself some very big balls for the next 5 years. He is going to need them . He thinks he is going to war with the tories. The battles ahead are going to be much much bigger than that.

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on May 22, 2024, 09:59:03 pm by mugnapper »
Why didn't  Richie either:-
A) Use an umbrella or
B) Use the expensive Press Room we all paid for?
(You know the one where that lady admitted they were all partying whilst we stayed at home)

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on May 22, 2024, 10:02:34 pm by mugnapper »
Fluck me. Rumours from Westminster are suggesting Right Wing Tories are planning a coup against Sunak so they can cancel the election within the next 72 hours.
Is that legal/possible??

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on May 22, 2024, 10:10:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
How many Portillo moments will there be on election night?

Not many. I suspect more than half of them won't even stand.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on May 22, 2024, 10:12:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Here's that Sky reporter getting hoyed out by the Tory muscle.

https://x.com/SkyNews/status/1793359440919380470

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on May 22, 2024, 10:15:56 pm by MachoMadness »
Fluck me. Rumours from Westminster are suggesting Right Wing Tories are planning a coup against Sunak so they can cancel the election within the next 72 hours.
Is that legal/possible??
Seen this reported. I've no idea if it's actually possible but if it is, this would be the absolute funniest thing that has ever happened in politics.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on May 22, 2024, 10:18:50 pm by wilts rover »
Is that legal/possible??
Seen this reported. I've no idea if it's actually possible but if it is, this would be the absolute funniest thing that has ever happened in politics.
Was just about to post the same.
Yes it is possible if they can depose him as Tory leader before he can dissolve Parliament next Friday.

Absolute madness - but there you go

https://x.com/christopherhope/status/1793382405203456276

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on May 22, 2024, 10:19:56 pm by SydneyRover »
Is that legal/possible??

The days are long gone where you would dismiss this as too stupid to consider.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on May 22, 2024, 10:34:33 pm by Sprotyrover »
Well I have read some Fairy stories on here but this takes the biscuit! If this were true, the perpetrators would gain 4 months extra in office and then would preside over the utter destruction of the Tories as a party at the Election!.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on May 22, 2024, 10:41:44 pm by Colin C No.3 »
‘Just Stinging and Grimacing in the rain’

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on May 22, 2024, 11:59:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It would be a fitting epitaph for this shower of shite if they DID do away with Sunak and cancelled the Election. They have been chaotic for years.

Anyone remember Cameron's campaign in 2015 where he said that Britain would descend into chaos if Labour won?

Instead we got
Brexit
One PM resigning
Maybot
3 years of internal civil war in the Tory party over what "Brexit" meant
Another PM resigning
Johnson lying over the Brexit deal he signed.
COVID running riot while Johnson took 4 weeks off to sort out his divorce.
Another PM resigning.
Truss and Kamikwaze.
Another PM resigning
Sunak living from month to month with the threat of another coup.

They have lost any right to be taken seriously as a political party for the next generation. Until they realise they are supposed to rule in the COUNTRY'S interests, not smash everything to try to hold onto power.

Get them out.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on May 23, 2024, 07:11:44 am by Donnywolf »
Sunak's had his moment of power and now will be cashing in more lucrative jobs post PM. I think the Lib Dems will make a massive comeback in this election by those tory voters who know the party is in disarray but won't vote for labour.

I'm still shocked he walked out in the pissing rain to announce it. He must have known how it would look.

What a 10 years he's had said a wag yesterday on Twitter

In that 10 years he's , become an MP , become Chancellor of E , then PM , then lost an Election and f***** off back into political oblivion"

Repeat , not my words. Mine could have been more scathing

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on May 23, 2024, 07:28:14 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Heard a Tory MP on the radio last night stating that a vote for Labour is a vote for more chaos and if we want real change then we should vote Conservative!!

Where do they find these people?

I’m curious about why he’s called an election now and seems to have blindsided his own MP’s. The depressing conclusion is that this is as good as it’s going to get and from late Summer onwards things are going to get even worse.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on May 23, 2024, 07:37:57 am by ncRover »
Sunak's had his moment of power and now will be cashing in more lucrative jobs post PM. I think the Lib Dems will make a massive comeback in this election by those tory voters who know the party is in disarray but won't vote for labour.

I'm still shocked he walked out in the pissing rain to announce it. He must have known how it would look.

I disagree on the Lib Dems.

The main discontent is from the Tory right. Reform will get a good vote share but not many seats without proportional representation (something the left wing advocates of it perhaps overlook but that’s another discussion).

In terms of the more liberal / moderate Tories, some will just stay put. A lot will go over to Labour. From an ideological perspective, what separates Labour from Lib Dem’s except that one is guaranteed to win and the other to be irrelevant?

It would be far from my cup of tea but if the 3rd party in this country was economically left-leaning but socially conservative I think it would do very well.

On your second point, perhaps he wanted to look like the tough guy who didn’t care about the rain? Lol

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on May 23, 2024, 07:48:06 am by Donnywolf »
Heard a Tory MP on the radio last night stating that a vote for Labour is a vote for more chaos and if we want real change then we should vote Conservative!!

I’m curious about why he’s called an election now and seems to have blindsided his own MP’s. The depressing conclusion is that this is as good as it’s going to get and from late Summer onwards things are going to get even worse.

It was "guessed" that MPs had been putting in No confidence letters in to get Sunak and it was always said ( by people actually paid to speculate ) that if they did that HE would retaliate by calling a snap Election

If they had won he's out anyway , so from his viewpoint he takes a bet and tries to win and stays as Leader and PM

Incredibly the Letters seem to still be going in and I'm not paid to speculate or commentate on Politic BUT the reaction of Tobias Ellwood this morning when asked about the Letters going in suggested they were

He was raging which to me said they must be going in or he would have played it down

Presumably they can get them in in time to remove him otherwise it wouldn't be an issue but Ellwood was saying this is the very last thing we need now

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on May 23, 2024, 07:51:37 am by roverstillidie91 »
Need the Tories out but ideally a Labour majority as low as possible.

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on May 23, 2024, 09:19:19 am by mugnapper »
Former Tory MP Rory Stewart has called Richie's decision to call an election, 'Insane'.
I wonder if Sunak is sick of all the infighting and plots to get rid of him, and just wants to get out asap and in the process ensure a good few of his detractors lose their jobs in the process?
He then could have the rest of the year off and start his new job in January. (My bet is in the USA, if he can find that Green Card of course, probably with Meta or a similar outfit).

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on May 23, 2024, 09:35:48 am by IDM »
so here we go.

In 6 weeks we'll have a new government which I suspect will be in power despite (maybe) 55-60% of votes in total being for other parties.  if maybe 70-75% of the electorate actually vote, the winning party may only have the votes of around 30% of the whole electorate.

Yes for control of parliament the winners need an absolute majority of seats, but it is possible that one party can win just enough seats, most with tiny majorities, where their main opponent wins fewer seats but with huge individual majorities - therefore more votes in total than the winning party.

Surely it's time for PR.?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on May 23, 2024, 09:36:14 am by BillyStubbsTears »

So the Tories can come back in 2029?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on May 23, 2024, 09:45:57 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Interesting. Farage is staying out of the election.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on May 23, 2024, 09:47:49 am by selby »
  I wonder what the note in the treasury will say this time?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on May 23, 2024, 09:53:31 am by Filo »

“You thought last time was bad”

“We’ve given all the money to our cronies”

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on May 23, 2024, 09:53:41 am by Pancho Regan »
And for those expecting a change in the polling over the 6 week period, we dont really normally see that.  You'd be hard pushed to bet against a labour majority of some size.

Unless Starmer gets caught on video skinning alive a baby, Labour are stuck on for a 200 seat majority over the Tories.

Be careful BST, pride often comes before a fall.

The overriding feeling I got from yesterday's initial 'vox pops' was utter apathy. There are probably millions of voters out there who are totally disillusioned with politics and won't even bother to vote.

That won't help Labour.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on May 23, 2024, 10:01:31 am by roverstillidie91 »

So the Tories can come back in 2029?
Why would they?

This is to do with the forthcoming election and not the one in 2029.

I think Tories have done a lot of damage over the past 14 years and in my opinion I think they will struggle to get in again.

But I also believe Labour will become even more unpopular when as expected they will get in.

But the Greens, Independents are making up ground slowly.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on May 23, 2024, 10:03:52 am by roverstillidie91 »
We'll see you again when both us identical parties trade back power in 2029.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on May 23, 2024, 10:07:21 am by danumdon »

The overriding feeling I got from yesterday's initial 'vox pops' was utter apathy. There are probably millions of voters out there who are totally disillusioned with politics and won't even bother to vote.

That won't help Labour.

Sunak has commissioned a long range forecast for July 4th.

Thunderstorms, lightning, floods and pestilence, otherwise a nice day for a stroll to a polling station!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on May 23, 2024, 10:23:04 am by IDM »

That won't help Labour.

Voting should be compulsory IMHO.  But I also think there should be a “none of the above” option on the polling card.

If “none of the above” wins, have a fresh vote.

Or, if folks don’t vote, their vote automatically goes to the sitting MP.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on May 23, 2024, 10:43:03 am by Pancho Regan »
I watched Sunak's announcement in Downing Street with mixed emotions and a degree of fascination.

Why on earth would you make such an important speech whilst getting piss wet through? You could argue that he remained composed in difficult circumstances, but it really wasn't a good look and was quite distracting to watch.

As for the goon at the end of Downing Street with the ghetto blaster - I couldn't help thinking 'can you imagine that happening in Russia, or China, or Georgia?'
I'm a bit old fashioned but at least let's show a bit of common decency and respect when the Prime Minister is making an important announcement.

And whatever happens between now and the election, let's be grateful we live in a democracy, unlike so many poor souls in other countries who aren't so fortunate.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on May 23, 2024, 10:47:03 am by roverstillidie91 »
I watched Sunak's announcement in Downing Street with mixed emotions and a degree of fascination.

Why on earth would you make such an important speech whilst getting piss wet through? You could argue that he remained composed in difficult circumstances, but it really wasn't a good look and was quite distracting to watch.

As for the goon at the end of Downing Street with the ghetto blaster - I couldn't help thinking 'can you imagine that happening in Russia, or China, or Georgia?'
I'm a bit old fashioned but at least let's show a bit of common decency and respect when the Prime Minister is making an important announcement.

And whatever happens between now and the election, let's be grateful we live in a democracy, unlike so many poor souls in other countries who aren't so fortunate.
We are slowly going into anti-democratic territory however.

It wouldn't happen because they have authoritarian regimes.

At the end of the day he shouldn't be so corrupt and have done such a bad job so in my eyes it was fully warranted.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012