Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:28:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gordon Brown Resigns  (Read 21830 times)

MattyDRFC

• Forum Member
Gordon Brown Resigns
« on May 10, 2010, 05:40:52 pm by MattyDRFC »
Taken from Sky news website

Gordon Brown has said he will step down as leader as Nick Clegg asks for talks between Labour and the Liberal Democrats.In a statement outside Downing Street, Mr Brown said he had \"no desire to stay in my position longer than needed\" and would leave by the party conference in September.

He said he will ask the Labour Party to begin the process for a leadership election but that he will not stand or intervene.

Mr Brown said the fact there was a hung parliament suggested no party or leader had the support of the electorate to govern alone.

\"As leader of my party I must accept that that is a judgement on me,\" he said.

Labour and Liberal Democrat negotiators are now set to hold formal negotiations over whether they could form an alliance.

It comes as the Conservative and Lib Dems held a further day of talks in an attempt to thrash out a power-sharing deal.

More follows...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

charleydrfc

• Forum Member
Re:Gordon Brown Resigns
« Reply #1 on May 10, 2010, 06:37:32 pm by charleydrfc »
i would laugh my nads off if a lib/lab pact becomes reality.Son of thatch (william squashy head hague) was boasting at 2pm how well things were going for the tory lib coalition.  :cheer:

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 10, 2010, 06:45:57 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
It's all kicking off.

Go to 4 mins 30 secs  :laugh:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkHwU4DRA8[/video]

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 10, 2010, 06:59:21 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Haha about time someone told Campbell where to go.  Feel a bit for Gordon Brown, removing him is not the answer for Labour, I didn't vote Labour but that wasn't because of Brown, Clegg or Cameron, it was down to policy.  Changing Brown doesn't change policy, if it does then surely a Lib/Lab coalition would lead to a new election?  We all know that wouldn't happen, I fail to see what more than a gimmick, him resigning really is.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 10, 2010, 07:05:08 pm by Filo »
Quality! That Tory t**t was getting a bit mardy, I detect the tories have been rocked a bit by Browns statement and they are starting to panic a little bit that a deal has n't been done

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 10, 2010, 07:12:35 pm by Boomstick »

Good riddance Mcstalin, you will not be missed.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 10, 2010, 07:13:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Missed a chance here. Yesterday, I could have got 9/1 against Brown being PM on 1st June.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 10, 2010, 07:36:54 pm by Boomstick »
Filo wrote:
Quality! That Tory t**t was getting a bit mardy, I detect the tories have been rocked a bit by Browns statement and they are starting to panic a little bit that a deal has n't been done

The fact was Campell wouldnt accept on camera that lab were the big losers in the election. I'm impressed Boulton excercised that great ammount of personal control not to lamp that nulab lump of undemocratic slime.
Well done Boulton, your clearly thinking what the majority of this country are. My new fav broadcaster. fcuk the beeb, sky is where its at.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 10, 2010, 07:48:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:
Haha about time someone told Campbell where to go.  Feel a bit for Gordon Brown, removing him is not the answer for Labour, I didn't vote Labour but that wasn't because of Brown, Clegg or Cameron, it was down to policy.  Changing Brown doesn't change policy, if it does then surely a Lib/Lab coalition would lead to a new election?  We all know that wouldn't happen, I fail to see what more than a gimmick, him resigning really is.

Course it's not a gimmick. Labour and the Liberals are very close on many policies - much closer than either of them are to the Tories. The main sticking point was Brown. Now he's gone there's a clear path to a deal.

Cameron, Osbourne and the rest of the Old Etonians must be shitting bricks. If Labour and the Liberals bring in PR, none of us will live to see another Tory government.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 10, 2010, 07:53:21 pm by Filo »
Boomstick wrote:
Filo wrote:

The fact was Campell wouldnt accept on camera that lab were the big losers in the election. I'm impressed Boulton excercised that great ammount of personal control not to lamp that nulab lump of undemocratic slime.
Well done Boulton, your clearly thinking what the majority of this country are. My new fav broadcaster. fcuk the beeb, sky is where its at.
Since when has 36 percent of the vote been the majority?Even the tory anti trade union laws require a two thirds majority in a ballot on industrial action. The torys have only just achieved just over one third of the vote in this election

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 10, 2010, 07:57:27 pm by Boomstick »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

Course it's not a gimmick. Labour and the Liberals are very close on many policies - much closer than either of them are to the Tories. The main sticking point was Brown. Now he's gone there's a clear path to a deal.

Cameron, Osbourne and the rest of the Old Etonians must be shitting bricks. If Labour and the Liberals bring in PR, none of us will live to see another Tory government.

But yet if we had PR a week ago then the Tories would have won.

Labour f**ks the economy, people get pissed off and vote tory.
> The Tories get elected and instigate painful and deeply unpopular (BUT NECESSARY) policies to sort the mess created by Labour, people get pissed off and vote Labour. > Labour f**ks the country again ..........................

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 10, 2010, 08:00:52 pm by Boomstick »
Filo wrote:
Boomstick wrote:
Filo wrote:

Since when has 36 percent of the vote been the majority?

Cameron should say to Clegg, ok then we can have PR. There! I won! now fcuk off!

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 10, 2010, 08:14:56 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Boomstick wrote:
Cameron should say to Clegg, ok then we can have PR. There! I won! now fcuk off!

As BST pointed out, turkeys won't vote for Christmas.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 10, 2010, 08:19:59 pm by Boomstick »
Snods Shinpad wrote:
Boomstick wrote:

As BST pointed out, turkeys won't vote for Christmas.

I agree, but to say we would never see a tory government again is daft. Its a cycle, perhaps even an illusion of choice.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 10, 2010, 08:20:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Boomstick wrote:
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

Labour fcuks the economy, people get pissed off and vote tory.
> The Tories get elected and instigate painful and deeply unpopular (BUT NECESSARY) policies to sort the mess created by Labour, people get pissed off and vote Labour. > Labour fcuks the country again ..........................

Kin 'ell spadger, you are truly mathematically challenged. The Tories got 36% of the vote. How on earth would they have won under PR.

Good fun though watching the Tories wriggling about like ants  in boling water. Just seen some geeky get on BBC News babbying on saying Brown was responsible for the recession, the Hung Parliament, England not winning the World Cup for 44 years, the Crucifixion and Eve eating an apple. You could see him having to bite his lip to stop himself saying , \"it's just not fair. We should have won. Our turn! Our turn!\"

charleydrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 10, 2010, 08:24:17 pm by charleydrfc »
Boomstick wrote:
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

> The Tories get elected and instigate painful and deeply unpopular (BUT NECESSARY) policies to sort the mess created by Labour, people get pissed off and vote Labour. > Labour fcuks the country again ..........................
labour fcuks the economy please enlighten

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 10, 2010, 08:24:38 pm by Boomstick »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
Boomstick wrote:
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

Kin 'ell spadger, you are truly mathematically challenged. The Tories got 36% of the vote. How on earth would they have won under PR.

Good fun though watching the Tories wriggling about like ants  in boling water. Just seen some geeky get on BBC News babbying on saying Brown was responsible for the recession, the Hung Parliament, England not winning the World Cup for 44 years, the Crucifixion and Eve eating an apple. You could see him having to bite his lip to stop himself saying , \"it's just not fair. We should have won. Our turn! Our turn!\"

Because the tories got the most votes, Cameron wins.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 10, 2010, 08:25:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Boomstick wrote:
I agree, but to say we would never see a tory government again is daft. Its a cycle, perhaps even an illusion of choice.

Perfectly simple cock sparra. It's been more than 50 years since we've had a majority of people voting for right-leaning parties. In that time, at EVERY election, Labour, the Liberals and other left-leaning parties (SNP, SDLP, PC) have polled a majority if national votes.

Get used to it my crypto-fascist pal - if we get PR, we will NEVER have a right wing government again. At least not in our lifetimes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 10, 2010, 08:32:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Boomstick wrote:

Because the tories got the most votes, Cameron wins.

Cameron didn't get a majority of seats OR votes. His party is the largest, but given that he appears incapable of finding another 20 MPs to support him to get a majority speaks volumes.

His party didn't win. They were the least losing of the three losers.

Anyway, the long term game is up. Foetus-face Hague has just come out and said that they will offer PR if the Liberals will join them. So that's the Tories committing long-term political suicide.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 10, 2010, 08:36:25 pm by Boomstick »
charleydrfc wrote:
Boomstick wrote:
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

labour fcuks the economy please enlighten

took us into 2 illegal wars, that we are still fighting, turned our country in to one giant public sector, oversaw the beginning of benefits Britain, failed to control immigration and presided over the biggest boom and bust we may ever see. Not to mention allowing the trade unions to hold the country to ransom.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 10, 2010, 08:38:46 pm by i_ateallthepies »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

[/quote] Anyway, the long term game is up. Foetus-face Hague has just come out and said that they will offer PR if the Liberals will join them. So that's the Tories committing long-term political suicide.[/quote]

And that just shows how effing desparate they scummy bas**rds are.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 10, 2010, 08:41:20 pm by i_ateallthepies »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

Anyway, the long term game is up. Foetus-face Hague has just come out and said that they will offer PR if the Liberals will join them. So that's the Tories committing long-term political suicide.[/quote]

And that just shows how effing desparate they scummy bas**rds are.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 10, 2010, 08:47:12 pm by Boomstick »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
Boomstick wrote:

Perfectly simple cock sparra. It's been more than 50 years since we've had a majority of people voting for right-leaning parties. In that time, at EVERY election, Labour, the Liberals and other left-leaning parties (SNP, SDLP, PC) have polled a majority if national votes.

Get used to it my crypto-fascist pal - if we get PR, we will NEVER have a right wing government again. At least not in our lifetimes.

I strongly resent that remark , how dare you accuse me of being a crypto fascist? Infact I consider myself to have more Libertarian leanings.  Its you that has admitted to having authoritarian leanings.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 10, 2010, 09:17:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Boomstick wrote:
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
Boomstick wrote:

I strongly resent that remark , how dare you accuse me of being a crypto fascist? Infact I consider myself to have more Libertarian leanings.  Its you that has admitted to having authoritarian leanings.

Retracted Your Honour.

Personally, I describe my own beliefs as tending towards the acceptance of a good hard smack every once in a while to remind people that with liberty comes responsibilities. You call that Authoritarian. So do I in the odd humourous moment, but being serious, I consider it to be the height of enlightened pragmatism. You give opportunities, you support the weak, you limit the power of the powerful, and you expect effort and responsibility in return. A bit like being a parent really.

Now, I'm not saying that the Labour Party or ANY party is close to achieving that sort of state, but it seems to me to be one well worth aiming for.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 10, 2010, 09:20:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Boomstick wrote:

took us into 2 illegal wars, that we are still fighting, turned our country in to one giant public sector, oversaw the beginning of benefits Britain, failed to control immigration and presided over the biggest boom and bust we may ever see. Not to mention allowing the trade unions to hold the country to ransom.

Phew. All that and the Bullingdon Club could STILL only get 36% of the vote. 4/10 Cameron and future-Baron Osbourne. Must try harder.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 10, 2010, 09:37:45 pm by BobG »
Gosh! What a thread.... Now I think I understand why cretins like Osbourne and Cameron actually won as many votes as they did. They prey upon the weak minded and the avariciously grasping already powerful. There's no other answer.

Simple answer is that the Tories screwed it up. Given the circumstances they should have won by a landslide. They didn't. So, by defintion, they're not very impressive. The Labour party, despite it's fascistic leanings towards command and control in the daily lives of us all, didn't do as badly as it would normally be expected they should have done. Ergo, by definition, they offer at least something that people respect. The Libs, tried hard. Worthy. Nice blokes. But ultimately peripheral.

Constitutionally, any combination that can command a majority is legitimate. The crux of any decision about that has almost nothing to do with today. It has everything to do with how it will leave the particpants looking at the next election. If the Tories do give PR to the LIbs, then they will have committed mass suicide. They are the only meaningful righ leaning party in the country. They have have lost every election since 1945 to the combination of left leaning parties - the Libs and the Labs. The Tories have only ever got in since 1945 because the left vote was split each time. I live in hope that Cameron and his cronies are so daft as to actually do it :):):)  I shall immediately go out and dance on Maggies grave. Oh. hang on. She's not dead yet is she? Still, the shock of such rank stupidity will no doubt kill her off at long last.

Cheers

BobG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 10, 2010, 09:46:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Snods Shinpad wrote:
It's all kicking off.

Go to 4 mins 30 secs  :laugh:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkHwU4DRA8[/video]

Well bugger me. Only just got to a PC where I can open that. What with Bigot-gate and then this, Armando Iannucci should announce that The Thick of It is now going to be retired - reality has outdone fiction.

Was Adam Boulton pissed?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 10, 2010, 09:52:59 pm by Filo »
f**king hell one tory bloke on sky news reckons they've been betrayed by the lib dems, what goes round comes round, have they forgot about the tories betraying the mining industry in 84 and plunging whole comunitys into poverty

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 10, 2010, 09:53:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BobG wrote:
Constitutionally, any combination that can command a majority is legitimate.

Bang on Bob.

And THAT is why the Right are blubbling like kids who haven't been picked for the togger team. The Tories are still shellshocked that the election they had in their pocket slipped away. Then they thought Clegg had painted himself into a corner by tacitly supporting them. So, despite their protestations that thed only important thing was National Interest, what they apparently did was offer the Liberals a deal that they couldn't accept. They couldn't drop this idea that it was their RIGHT to form the Government. And now they get their second smack in the face as they suddenly realise that they are not the only deal in town.

IF Labour, the Liberals and one or two other parties can form a viable Parliamentary pact, THAT is the Government that we will end up with. And THAT will be deomcratically correct. If the Tories cannot find an additional 20 supporters to give them a majority, there is only one place to look for the blame.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 10, 2010, 09:54:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Filo wrote:
fcuking hell one tory bloke on sky news reckons they've been betrayed by the lib dems, what goes round comes round, have they forgot about the tories betraying the mining industry in 84 and plunging whole comunitys into poverty

I think some of them will be going back to Matron for bitty tonight.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012